PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Dixon

bulldogcountry1
09-17-2015, 07:27 AM
AD is in his 6th year in the league. He only averaged less than 40 carries his first 4 seasons with the Niners, but got over 100 carries last year. Even still, that isn't much production. I know he is a special teams asset, but is it common for guys like him to stay in the league so long? He's made a nice career out of being a backup/special teamer.

Political Hack
09-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Yes. And he should be a model for our other players in terms of how to be an asset in the locker room. They guy is the complete package. Unselfish, can tote the rock, is a great backup, special teams stud, and is a juice squad all by himself.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Dampier had a long and well-paid career because he did what his teams needed him to do. Defend, block shots, rebound, put a body on folks, etc. You don't get the glory, but you do get paid.

Boobie is the same way. He plays good special teams, lines up at tailback, fullback, H-back, just does whatever asked. If he bitched about carries and only played hard when lined up as a ball carrier, he would have been out of the league a long time ago. He's done very well on special teams.

Johnson85
09-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Dampier had a long and well-paid career because he did what his teams needed him to do. Defend, block shots, rebound, put a body on folks, etc. You don't get the glory, but you do get paid.

Dampier got the glory in contract years. Not that he wasn't solid all years, but he did well in scoring and rebounds, both of which get you glory, in his contract years.

godlluB
09-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Same could be said for Travis Outlaw. I'm not sure he was ever a starter, but he had a 10+ year NBA career making a seven figure salary coming off the bench. I'd take that.

Dallas_Dawg
09-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Dixon is a punt blocking machine, plays nearly all special teams and is a goal line back.
He is a fan favorite in Buffalo, as you can imagine

YoungB
09-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Having a long NFL career for non starters

1. Be a professional. On time, know your stuff, no off the field junk
2. Be versatile, e.g. you can play RB, FB, All Special Teams. Offer a change of pace.
3. Excel at those ST things that you can't use your starters on.
4. When your number is called be adequate, you can't be terrible. You don't have to be starter level, but don't stick out.
5. Most important. Be an awesome club house guy. Everybody loves you (look at the way Boobie and Rex Ryan were joking on the sideline)

RAYn_Man
09-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Not to mention, he's a load on the goal line.

smootness
09-17-2015, 05:00 PM
In general, I would say that yes, it is certainly rare. Generally speaking, if a guy is not producing much on offense or defense, they won't last longer than 3-4 years. Typically, by then the team has drafted guys younger than you they'd rather hold a roster spot for. But they do exist. I think Dan Herron will have a similar career. Jacob Hester is another similar guy.

As others have said, though, that is a testament to what Dixon brings to the team.

Drugdog
09-17-2015, 06:27 PM
He has the "it" factor.