PDA

View Full Version : Clocking the ball....

7dawg
09-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Why not fake the spike and go deep in this situation. Just have a short and long option to throw to. I have not seen this done in SEC football over the years. I can't remember who did it in the NFL a few years back. It should be legal, all you have to do is be set at least 1 second before the ball is snapped.

LSU DB'S were just standing around when Dak was signaling to clock the ball. Sure looked like a great oppurtunity.

Swagger Vance
09-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Id rather see us not get that cute. We never have much luck with the trick plays. I think running a motion play late in the play clock was cute enough when we should have run the ball to the left to maybe gain a couple more yards, call a timeout and set the kicker up in the middle of the field. But we didnt, and the rest is history.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Id rather see us not get that cute. We never have much luck with the trick plays. I think running a motion play late in the play clock was cute enough when we should have run the ball to the left to maybe gain a couple more yards, call a timeout and set the kicker up in the middle of the field. But we didnt, and the rest is history.

How do you know that wasn't the play? We never got to run the play.

FISHDAWG
09-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Why not fake the spike and go deep in this situation. Just have a short and long option to throw to. I have not seen this done in SEC football over the years. I can't remember who did it in the NFL a few years back. It should be legal, all you have to do is be set at least 1 second before the ball is snapped.

LSU DB'S were just standing around when Dak was signaling to clock the ball. Sure looked like a great oppurtunity.

that would be Dan Morino ... it worked for him but not sure it would have worked for us. Bottom line is that Dan will not always make the best decision - nor will any coach, but he did give us the opportunity - I've seen in years past that I had wished for nothing more than at least being competitive with an opportunity to win ... we are light years ahead of where we came from

LC Dawg
09-16-2015, 01:12 PM

One reason not to do it is that if it is incomplete then your receivers might not hurry and get back to the line and everybody else may relax and not get lined up and we get a delay penalty. Wait...........never mind.

archdog
09-16-2015, 01:37 PM
If it is complete and you make it to the 3 yard line, wait a second we had a timeout. Nevermind.