PDA

View Full Version : Dak on the LSU game and him not running more

starkvegasdawg
09-16-2015, 09:32 AM
This ought to put everyone in a better frame of mind:

"Obviously it was a tough loss," said Prescott. "Being the leader of the offense, it sucks to lose that way. We fought back in the end and gave ourselves a chance. I got to make a better throw on the two-point conversion and I got to help coach out with the time at the end of the game. Just a lot of small things that built up and that's the frustrating thing about that loss."

Also in reviewing that LSU game film, Prescott noted another area he wants to improve on and it included using his legs a bit more on offense.

"I think there were some areas where I could've use my feet in the pass game, just getting out of the pocket and run a little more and make things happen," said Prescott. "That was the biggest part. That and obviously that two-point conversion."

mstatefan91
09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Poor Nw St.

BeardoMSU
09-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Poor Nw St.

Indeed.

Swagger Vance
09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Well, reasons for optimism now. That is good to hear.

BhamDawg
09-16-2015, 10:31 AM
"I think there were some areas where I could've use my feet in the pass game, just getting out of the pocket and run a little more and make things happen," said Prescott. "That was the biggest part. That and obviously that two-point conversion."

Yea, doesn't make me feel any better. How about keeping the ball at least once on a zone read.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Yea, doesn't make me feel any better. How about keeping the ball at least once on a zone read.

TrapGame
09-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Poor Nw St.

And Auburn.

Boom can't fix that mess in two weeks and J. Johnson can't become Cam Newton in 2 weeks either.

archdog
09-16-2015, 10:39 AM
The difference being, Fournette required so much attention that our defense didn't really give one thought to Harris running the ball. We were trying to defend Fournette and the Play Action Pass 1st and foremost. LSU's defense were trying to stop Dak from running the ball and bracketing DeRunnya on every play. Easier to shut Dak down in that situation because our RBs other than Holloway didn't break a hand tackle.

BeardoMSU
09-16-2015, 10:40 AM
And Auburn.

Boom can't fix that mess in two weeks and J. Johnson can't become Cam Newton in 2 weeks either.

Careful now...just a couple weeks a go it was "LSU can't out-score us". I agree in principle, but we've got issues of our own, don't forget.

BB30
09-16-2015, 10:40 AM
The difference being, Fournette required so much attention that our defense didn't really give one thought to Harris running the ball. We were trying to defend Fournette and the Play Action Pass 1st and foremost. LSU's defense were trying to stop Dak from running the ball and bracketing DeRunnya on every play. Easier to shut Dak down in that situation because our RBs other than Holloway didn't break a hand tackle.

exactly

starkvegasdawg
09-16-2015, 10:44 AM
My biggest postive from this is the fact that Dak realized he had some missed opportunities on busted plays with his feet. It also calms my fears that him not running doesn't appear to be a conscious decision made by him to avoid injury and playing not to get hurt due to the draft or Dan trying to turn Dak into a pocket passer for the NFL.

BhamDawg
09-16-2015, 10:47 AM
LSU's defense were trying to stop Dak from running the ball and bracketing DeRunnya on every play. Easier to shut Dak down in that situation because our RBs other than Holloway didn't break a hand tackle.

In the first half this was truly the case, but in the second half they were crashing down hard on the RBs. I can recall several plays where Dak could have walked for 20 yards.

NCDawg
09-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Yeah, didn't appear to me like he really wanted to run the ball.

BB30
09-16-2015, 10:58 AM
we ran the ball a total of 10 times in the second half Dak had 4 carries for like 5 yds and the other 6 carries went for 21 yds.. don't really think running the ball was going to get us back in the game

TrapGame
09-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Careful now...just a couple weeks a go it was "LSU can't out-score us". I agree in principle, but we've got issues of our own, don't forget.

Jacksonville State.

Our issues almost pale in comparison. We get a decent running game w/ Dak and (fill in blank) _____________ and we'll be pretty good. Their oline and dline got pushed around by J'ville State. They were still playing all their starters in the fourth quarter against J'ville State.

Could they come out and look like a top #4 team vs us? Sure, but it will take some work and having to play LSU and then us will make that work very difficult. At least we get to work out some kinks on NW State.

msstate7
09-16-2015, 11:03 AM
One thing that worries me about this is Dak saw he should've ran on film. I don't want him thinking should I run... I want it come natural like last year. Dak thinking a lot might not be a good thing. Of course, I could be the one overthinking here haha

Really Clark?
09-16-2015, 11:07 AM
One thing that worries me about this is Dak saw he should've ran on film. I don't want him thinking should I run... I want it come natural like last year. Dak thinking a lot might not be a good thing. Of course, I could be the one overthinking here haha

Yeah when have we ever overthought anything on here? haha

BhamDawg
09-16-2015, 11:14 AM
don't really think running the ball was going to get us back in the game

When your QB is making the wrong read or not making a read at all, of course its not.

maroonmania
09-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah, didn't appear to me like he really wanted to run the ball.

Exactly, I need to rewatch the last drive but I remember on one play in LSU territory that Dak rolled to his left and had what looked to be a good 10-12 yards of running space in front of him that would have set us up for a very makeable FG and instead he threw an incomplete pass. I thought that was the by far the biggest mistake of the entire last drive. After that, of course, we got the delay of game penalty and no yardage on the last pass attempt to Wilson.

BB30
09-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Exactly, I need to rewatch the last drive but I remember on one play in LSU territory that Dak rolled to his left and had what looked to be a good 10-12 yards of running space in front of him that would have set us up for a very makeable FG and instead he threw an incomplete pass. I thought that was the by far the biggest mistake of the entire last drive. After that, of course, we got the delay of game penalty and no yardage on the last pass attempt to Wilson.
https://youtu.be/Yg32tktleYQ?t=8705

I seen it dawg
09-16-2015, 12:10 PM

That's exactly right. The absolute last thing I ever expected was for our former Heisman candidate to do a spot on Tyler Russel impersonation.

BossDawg
09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
we ran the ball a total of 10 times in the second half Dak had 4 carries for like 5 yds and the other 6 carries went for 21 yds.. don't really think running the ball was going to get us back in the game

There were a few opportunities that Dak didn't have an open receiver but he had a wide open lane that he could've crawled on and gotten a first down. We're not necessarily talking about designed running plays for Dak, but there were opportunities for him that would've given us a first down and momentum had he used his legs.

TXDawg
09-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Biggest mistake (besides the delay of game) was missing Walley wide open on the seam route. If Dak had had time to see him, he walks in untouched. There was no one within 15 yards of him.

Really Clark?
09-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Biggest mistake (besides the delay of game) was missing Walley wide open on the seam route. If Dak had had time to see him, he walks in untouched. There was no one within 15 yards of him.

I saw that as well but missing an open receiver in the heat of the game happens a lot. Mistake? I think of those as a missed opportunity but not really a mistake. Especially since we don't know where Walley was on the progression for that play. Hate it. The dropped passes are physical mistakes that hurt a lot in this game as well.

BB30
09-16-2015, 01:21 PM
There were a few opportunities that Dak didn't have an open receiver but he had a wide open lane that he could've crawled on and gotten a first down. We're not necessarily talking about designed running plays for Dak, but there were opportunities for him that would've given us a first down and momentum had he used his legs.

I completely agree on that front, I was responding to the talk that the read option was there and he was just making the wrong reads. No doubt there were a couple of opportunities to scramble for a couple first downs on passing plays.

mparkerfd20
09-16-2015, 01:34 PM
https://youtu.be/Yg32tktleYQ?t=8705

Borderline pass interference on CB covering Wilson on that last pass. Very borderline.

EDIT: This is the first I've allowed myself to watch that last drive I was so pissed off.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2015, 01:41 PM

I just watched the replay & it is true that Walley was wide open, but Dak had no where near enough time to get the ball to him. In fact, the reason he threw the ball to Bear is because LSU blitzed & Bear was the hot route on a quick slant. LSU obviously blitzed for that specific reason to make sure Dak didn't have time survey the field & throw down field.

The biggest missed opportunity on the final drive IMO, was when Dak scrambled to his left & made nice throw to Fred Ross down around the 12 yard line, but Fred had to slightly dive & couldn't come up with the pass. It would have been a difficult catch for Fred, but no doubt one he could have had. If Fred catches that ball, we are basically attempting a 30 yard field goal to win the game.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2015, 02:32 PM
I completely agree on that front, I was responding to the talk that the read option was there and he was just making the wrong reads. No doubt there were a couple of opportunities to scramble for a couple first downs on passing plays.

But wait you popped off to me earlier this in the locked thread...mostly hand offs? you do realize most of those "hand offs" were read plays.

Hmmmm.....

BB30
09-16-2015, 02:43 PM
But wait you popped off to me earlier this in the locked thread...mostly hand offs? you do realize most of those "hand offs" were read plays.

Hmmmm.....

Because most of those were read plays and he did give the ball off because he read the play and that dictated handing the ball off. I was responding to the talk of other posters including yourself that said the read option was there and he was making wrong reads not that I thought he was making wrong reads. Personally I think he made the right reads and there were just a few opportunities in the passing game to scramble. I think you read that post you just quoted wrong

SPMT
09-16-2015, 02:54 PM

I agree, we had to throw to get in and stay in the game in the second half. I hope Dak doesn't think he has to run for sake of running now. There were some missed opportunities but really he played pretty damn well.

Swagger Vance
09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
You're right Shotgun about Walley on that play. That was like a kick in the groin after seeing it on the replay. No one on the LSU defense saw him nor was near him. But like you said, Dak didnt get much time to scan the field on that play.

BB30
09-16-2015, 03:00 PM
I thought so too...I think the run game will get better as the year goes on we are just fairly inexperienced at RB and having a couple new guys on the interior OL doesnt help. Hopefully they start to gel and the running game will get better.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I never said he made the wrong reads..... I said they were straight hand offs..which they were. Or his reads were awful.

Todd4State
09-16-2015, 05:17 PM
The interesting thing to me is what Dak is saying seems to go against what Dan allegedly said per the first post in the now locked thread.

I wonder if Dak is just going to say screw it and start running like he always has. It's not like Dak is going to lose his job this year or next if he goes against Dan at this point. I hope that this is the case.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-16-2015, 05:28 PM
The interesting thing to me is what Dak is saying seems to go against what Dan allegedly said per the first post in the now locked thread.

I wonder if Dak is just going to say screw it and start running like he always has. It's not like Dak is going to lose his job this year or next if he goes against Dan at this point. I hope that this is the case.

This would be assuming Dan told him not to run. I don't believe he told him that. I can buy him saying protect himself & don't take unnecessary hits but to tell him not to run I don't buy it.

SheltonChoked
09-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Seems like you would know...***

BulldogBear
09-16-2015, 06:49 PM
And Auburn.

Boom can't fix that mess in two weeks and J. Johnson can't become Cam Newton in 2 weeks either.They had trouble stopping the running game of the Jacksonville State's QUARTERBACK. Trouble... I'm being nice. By trouble I mean they didn't.

So, the sarcastic side of me wants to say ****that means we'll probably go 80/20 pass****

But in reality, I hope our coaches stay with the obvious here.