PDA

View Full Version : Baseball bat news (Hallelujah!)

Todd4State
09-15-2015, 07:10 PM
This year our players will choose what type of bat that they will use individually. It will not be Adidas unless a player just chooses Adidas.

SMART move by our baseball team because every player likes/prefers a different brand.

This is per Robbie Faulk, so it's pretty legit.

starkvegasdawg
09-15-2015, 07:21 PM
They'll all choose the ultra dead bats since that'll help in bunting.

Todd4State
09-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Odds are that part of the reason we bunted was because the bats we were using were dead to start with.

Bothrops
09-15-2015, 07:45 PM
This is good news. I'm surprised they were able to arrange this. This may be the highlight of my day.

messageboardsuperhero
09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
I have no idea if the bats had anything to do with our pathetic hitting, but hopefully this will put an end to the constant talking about them.

Homedawg
09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
This year our players will choose what type of bat that they will use individually. It will not be Adidas unless a player just chooses Adidas.

SMART move by our baseball team because every player likes/prefers a different brand.

This is per Robbie Faulk, so it's pretty legit.

I'm pretty sure I said we wouldn't be using adidas months ago- kudos Robbie***

spudd21
09-15-2015, 07:55 PM
I wonder if this was at the request of the players?

Todd4State
09-15-2015, 08:21 PM
I wonder if this was at the request of the players?

I was unhappy with several things that Adidas did for our baseball program the past 2-3 years. Not just baseball bat wise- but also uniform wise.

It probably came from both the players and the coaches if I had to guess. If Adidas is going to make us use shitty equipment and ridiculous uniforms, then I don't want to be their "flagship baseball program".

Billy Ray Valentine
09-15-2015, 08:25 PM
I think it's horseshit to tell a baseball player what kind of bat he has to use. As long as it meets the regulations he should be able to use whatever works for him. This is great news

Dallas_Dawg
09-15-2015, 08:27 PM
It's football season, ya know***

Homedawg
09-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Odds are that part of the reason we bunted was because the bats we were using were dead to start with.

Did you leave off the sarcastrics? We can use a bat loaded w tennis balls and Cohen is going to bunt. Just the way it is.

HSVDawg
09-15-2015, 08:48 PM
I still don't think the bats had hardly any impact on our pathetic performance at the plate last year, but I am glad that the players get to use what they are most comfortable with. Like Crash Davis said, if you think you're playing well because you're getting laid or not getting laid or because you're wearing ladies underwear or not using Adidas bats, then you are!

MsStateBaseball
09-15-2015, 09:25 PM
This and getting Will Coggin back plus our hitters are getting better only means one thing, we will be much much better offensively.

Schultzy
09-15-2015, 09:42 PM
If you choose your own bat you will be a better hitter by default IMO.

Homedawg
09-15-2015, 09:45 PM
This and getting Will Coggin back plus our hitters are getting better only means one thing, we will be much much better offensively.

Will coggins is a good guy and might be a good coach, but if you think he is the answer to any of our offensive problems or solutions, I have some land I'd like to sell you. We should be better on offense, but it won't be be bc of will. It still is and always will be john's offensive philosophy.

State82
09-15-2015, 09:50 PM

Absolutely. Excellent decision by Cohen.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-15-2015, 09:54 PM
If you choose your own bat you will be a better hitter by default IMO.

I would guess most everyone on this thread has played baseball at some level. I would also guess most of you were like me. If I wasn't comfortable with a certain bat, I wasn't confident in hitting a baseball. Put a bat in my hand that felt comfortable and I had confidence in....I was more likely to make contact, etc.

To me it's no different than a batter unstrapping his batting glove three times after every pitch. If that feels right to him, that will make him a better hitter. A lot of being successful is between the ears. The bat has to feel right also.

Todd4State
09-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Did you leave off the sarcastrics? We can use a bat loaded w tennis balls and Cohen is going to bunt. Just the way it is.

Absolutely we are going to bunt some. I don't have a problem with guys like Robson and Michael Smith trying to use their speed to get on base doing it that way either.

But as you know from watching the games yourself the ball did not jump off of those Adidas bats very well.

Leroy Jenkins
09-16-2015, 04:59 AM

I think it was because out BB team looks like a JuCo physically.

bulldogcountry1
09-16-2015, 07:15 AM
I would guess most everyone on this thread has played baseball at some level. I would also guess most of you were like me. If I wasn't comfortable with a certain bat, I wasn't confident in hitting a baseball. Put a bat in my hand that felt comfortable and I had confidence in....I was more likely to make contact, etc.

To me it's no different than a batter unstrapping his batting glove three times after every pitch. If that feels right to him, that will make him a better hitter. A lot of being successful is between the ears. The bat has to feel right also.

Agreed. Baseball players are strange creatures of habit. After playing the game for 10+ years and then suddenly being told what type of equipment to use on top of having every at bat choreographed from the dugout, it's no wonder why it takes these guys years to start hitting. Even if the bats are all effectively the same, the players will find some level of comfort with one of them. You hear coaches and scouts say all the time that "the bat sounds different" with a certain guy. Maybe that's all a player needs, and a little bit of comfort in baseball can be a huge thing

bulldogcountry1
09-16-2015, 07:26 AM
But as you know from watching the games yourself the ball did not jump off of those Adidas bats very well.

It was very obvious watching a lot of games in person that that ball responded differently with some opponents. Maybe they used better bats or maybe they used illegal bats. Either way, the bats weren't on the same level, and it wasn't simply because players were bigger and stronger. You hardly ever heard that depressing thud that our bats made 75% of the time.

PMDawg
09-16-2015, 08:06 AM
I have no idea if the bats had anything to do with our pathetic hitting, but hopefully this will put an end to the constant talking about them.

+1

BeastMan
09-16-2015, 08:18 AM
This is great news because when we can't hit again we'll have to find something else to blame.

bulldogcountry1
09-16-2015, 09:23 AM
It's going to be amusing when most of the players choose to keep adidas bats.

TXDawg
09-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Looking at the photo gallery from the Fall Scrimmage, the only bat brand visible was Rawlings.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
From the way some of the guys hit this summer, it looks like we should be going with wood bats.