PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe this POS was NOT ejected for this. Watch Video

BulldogBear
09-15-2015, 02:18 PM
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2015/09/15/immaculata-football-player-based-head-own-helmet-opponent/72310882/

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Hard to believe he wasn't ejected. The only thing like that I have ever seen was in a post game fight. A kid wound up in the hospital in that one.

mparkerfd20
09-15-2015, 03:02 PM
I hope he's tried as an adult and receives jail time.

Johnson85
09-15-2015, 03:21 PM

Definitely should be done playing football and happy to not be in jail. Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like he sort of let up right before he made contact with the guy, so maybe he realized what he was doing while he was doing it. Players get worked up playing contact sports and do dangerous and shitty things all the time. Not sure how often criminal charges are appropriate. Definitely seem appropriate here, but at the same time it was pretty quick and possibly done in the heat of the moment and therefore I do think it's a little different from an assault on the street, so I'm not sure jail time would really be appropriate.

smootness
09-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Agreed. That is at the very least battery and could even climb to assault with a deadly weapon. That is as serious as it gets in a football game.

smootness
09-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Definitely should be done playing football and happy to not be in jail. Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like he sort of let up right before he made contact with the guy, so maybe he realized what he was doing while he was doing it. Players get worked up playing contact sports and do dangerous and shitty things all the time. Not sure how often criminal charges are appropriate. Definitely seem appropriate here, but at the same time it was pretty quick and possibly done in the heat of the moment and therefore I do think it's a little different from an assault on the street, so I'm not sure jail time would really be appropriate.

If you are someone who might grab a heavy object and bash someone's head 'in the heat of the moment,' you should be in jail. I don't see the difference between this and any other form of assault or battery at all. Most violent crimes happen 'in the heat of the moment.'

DancingRabbit
09-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Kinda hard to believe Pacman Jones wasn't ejected for this

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/rxz4sDqb4sBmh4Aqd0PhK42B0fU=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4059334/pac.0.0.0.gif

Johnson85
09-15-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't see the difference between this and any other form of assault or battery at all. Most violent crimes happen 'in the heat of the moment.'

The difference is that most people have ample opportunities to step back from or avoid "heat of the moment" moments off the field. On the field, dirty stuff happens and you can't avoid it. For example, I was playing basketball back in the day and was playing against a guy that liked to elbow people as they fought through screens. Not elbow as in nudge them off their path, elbow as in raise his elbow to try to catch somebody in the throat or mouth. Clearly a criminal assault elsewhere. Not sure what the refs were doing, but since they weren't stopping him, my defense was to use my outside arm to push his elbow above my head and then elbow him the best I could in the ribs as I fought through the screen. I wanted to break his ribs and would have been happy if I had. We basically went back and forth, sometimes he would land a blow, sometimes I would; ultimately he managed to bloody my nose enough that the refs made me leave the game. We both came out of it with no broken bones but probably some soreness the next day. Had I been successful and cracked one of his ribs, the camera would have shown me throwing a pretty good elbow without a lot of justification. Alternatively, I could have just punched him in the face instead of trying to fight through the screen. In pretty much none of the scenarios would even a night or two in jail be an appropriate response for either of us, even though it certainly would have been for a similar incident off the court. It's much more serious when you have a helmet involved, but if something similar had been going on on a football field, and a helmet got ripped off and swung at somebody, I still don't think that would be an issue where jail would be appropriate, although the punishment would be appropriately much harsher than the two players using fists and elbows.

There are just things that are allowed in sports that are not in the real world, and it's a bad practice to just pretend they aren't when dealing with incidents like this, although I'll admit this one is a close call and I more information about the story could change my mind.

drunkernhelldawg
09-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Total POS. Unbelievable.

drunkernhelldawg
09-15-2015, 06:03 PM
I see that our scholar, Mr. Johnson, has a bit of violent streak. But "Saturday night's alright for fighting . . ." Friday night too, when the mood is right.

Sorry you didn't get to lay that sob out Johnson. Maybe next time.

TUSK
09-15-2015, 08:15 PM
He just needs Freezus in his heart.

Asslt & Battery... Work Camp over the summer in a really wet, humid part of the Southeast...

oh, and put his moms on probation for "neglect".

smootness
09-15-2015, 09:28 PM
The difference is that most people have ample opportunities to step back from or avoid "heat of the moment" moments off the field. On the field, dirty stuff happens and you can't avoid it. For example, I was playing basketball back in the day and was playing against a guy that liked to elbow people as they fought through screens. Not elbow as in nudge them off their path, elbow as in raise his elbow to try to catch somebody in the throat or mouth. Clearly a criminal assault elsewhere. Not sure what the refs were doing, but since they weren't stopping him, my defense was to use my outside arm to push his elbow above my head and then elbow him the best I could in the ribs as I fought through the screen. I wanted to break his ribs and would have been happy if I had. We basically went back and forth, sometimes he would land a blow, sometimes I would; ultimately he managed to bloody my nose enough that the refs made me leave the game. We both came out of it with no broken bones but probably some soreness the next day. Had I been successful and cracked one of his ribs, the camera would have shown me throwing a pretty good elbow without a lot of justification. Alternatively, I could have just punched him in the face instead of trying to fight through the screen. In pretty much none of the scenarios would even a night or two in jail be an appropriate response for either of us, even though it certainly would have been for a similar incident off the court. It's much more serious when you have a helmet involved, but if something similar had been going on on a football field, and a helmet got ripped off and swung at somebody, I still don't think that would be an issue where jail would be appropriate, although the punishment would be appropriately much harsher than the two players using fists and elbows.

There are just things that are allowed in sports that are not in the real world, and it's a bad practice to just pretend they aren't when dealing with incidents like this, although I'll admit this one is a close call and I more information about the story could change my mind.

I get that sports are physical and can even be somewhat violent in the normal course of the game, especially football. But an elbow here or there is entirely different than taking someone's helmet and swinging it unencumbered at their unprotected head, especially when that person is defenseless. That could have legitimately killed or permanently injured the guy, and yes, in this instance I think it deserves criminal prosecution.

People get angry and throw elbows or swing fists; that's not cool but isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme. I don't even think it should usually bring criminal charges 'on the streets' unless it's a true beating or totally unprovoked.

But a person who would do something like this, regardless of anger level, is off in some way and needs to be dealt with.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-15-2015, 09:41 PM
The article says the officials didn't eject him from the game because they didn't see it, yet they threw a flag. Bullshit.

The kid received 10 stitches in his forehead. They definitely need to charge him with assault and/or whatever else they can come up with.

Schultzy
09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
This is why I quit watching the NFL. The players have no respect for their opponents safety/ health but blame the NFL for head injuries.

Johnson85
09-15-2015, 10:08 PM
I get that sports are physical and can even be somewhat violent in the normal course of the game, especially football. But an elbow here or there is entirely different than taking someone's helmet and swinging it unencumbered at their unprotected head, especially when that person is defenseless. That could have legitimately killed or permanently injured the guy, and yes, in this instance I think it deserves criminal prosecution.

People get angry and throw elbows or swing fists; that's not cool but isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme. I don't even think it should usually bring criminal charges 'on the streets' unless it's a true beating or totally unprovoked.

But a person who would do something like this, regardless of anger level, is off in some way and needs to be dealt with.

Im not arguing against criminal charges (that's not so clear from the comment you were responding to but it's clear if you read it with the prior one), just arguing against jail time, probably. if the kid has a history of violence, maybe something beyond probation, anger management, etc needs to happen. If he doesn't have anything indicating this has been a problem, seems like thisnisnsimething that should be eventually expunged from his record provided he keeps his nose clean.