PDA

View Full Version : Texas fires AD- Bjork on the shortlist

Coach34
09-15-2015, 08:43 AM
you know he is gonna lobby hard for that one

ShotgunDawg
09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
At what point to we stop viewing all jobs at Texas as elite jobs and accept them for being the toxic dumpster fire career suicide that they really are?

Coach34
09-15-2015, 09:12 AM
With the right leaders in the ath dept- Texas is a premier job

CadaverDawg
09-15-2015, 09:14 AM
At what point to we stop viewing all jobs at Texas as elite jobs and accept them for being the toxic dumpster fire career suicide that they really are?

Are you kidding? Mack Brown and Barnes made millions for years while underachieving. It's a great place to work, Bc you get overpaid with no expectations.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Texas is a top 5 AD job I could argue #1. What they lack is structure & the desire to be the best in everything. You get the right guy in charge & Texas would be a powerhouse.

jumbo
09-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Texas is a top 5 AD job I could argue #1. What they lack is structure & the desire to be the best in everything. You get the right guy in charge & Texas would be a powerhouse.

Yep. I really thought Strong could win big there but he may be on the way out as well.

ShotgunDawg
09-15-2015, 09:19 AM
With the right leaders in the ath dept- Texas is a premier job

I understand that, but most any school is a premier job & is successful when you have all the right leaders. When MSU has all the right leaders, we are a heck of a job as well.

My point is that I understand that Texas has enormous advantages & I've spent ample time on that campus, but, when an athletic director is asked to manage an athletic department that is completely meddled with by billionaires & possesses a generally soft culture, is it really worth that athletic director leaving a job in which he is already successful & has more autonomy?

ShotgunDawg
09-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Are you kidding? Mack Brown and Barnes made millions for years while underachieving. It's a great place to work, Bc you get overpaid with no expectations.

I understand what Texas is & understand the athletic department.

Really Clark?
09-15-2015, 09:32 AM
I understand that, but most any school is a premier job & is successful when you have all the right leaders. When MSU has all the right leaders, we are a heck of a job as well.

My point is that I understand that Texas has enormous advantages & I've spent ample time on that campus, but, when an athletic director is asked to manage an athletic department that is completely meddled with by billionaires & possesses a generally soft culture, is it really worth that athletic director leaving a job in which he is already successful & has more autonomy?

Well in just the financial sense the most Bjork can make is like $600,000 with bonus money. Texas base is over $1 MIL. Pretty big incentive.

The best AD job though is Vandy although it's not a traditional position with them. $3.3 MIL

Ifyouonlyknew
09-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Yep. I really thought Strong could win big there but he may be on the way out as well.

Only way Strong is out this year is if he wins 2 or 3 games. Nobody wants to hear it especially Mack Brown supporters but Texas just doesn't have a lot of talent right now. The last 4 years they've only had 11 guys drafted & only 2 in the 1st 2rds. By comparison MSU has had 12 guys drafted & 5 in the 1st 2rds. We also have more draft prospects this year. They have to give Strong at least another couple more years to try to replenish the talent to see if he can get the job done or if not have the team stocked with guys for the next coach.

Really Clark?
09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Only way Strong is out this year is if he wins 2 or 3 games. Nobody wants to hear it especially Mack Brown supporters but Texas just doesn't have a lot of talent right now. The last 4 years they've only had 11 guys drafted & only 2 in the 1st 2rds. By comparison MSU has had 12 guys drafted & 5 in the 1st 2rds. We also have more draft prospects this year. They have to give Strong at least another couple more years to try to replenish the talent to see if he can get the job done or if not have the team stocked with guys for the next coach.

I've thought for a while now that although Texas does have great talent, the high schools their are so sophisticated and high pressure that you have a lot of players who are peaked when they enter college. Highly rated but are high floor guys with little left to improve upon. Texas has had issues weeding through and really evaluating and projecting the talent. And probably a little lazy at the end of Brown's tenure. They could just throw rocks and pick 4 star guys but they just didn't fit or like I said already spent and peaked. May be wrong on some of that though.

TrapGame
09-15-2015, 09:54 AM
What are the chances he brings Freeze with him? Dream job or not coaching at Texas trumps ole miss especially with the talent Freeze could bring in just being the University of Texas alone.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-15-2015, 09:58 AM
I've thought for a while now that although Texas does have great talent, the high schools their are so sophisticated and high pressure that you have a lot of players who are peaked when they enter college. Highly rated but are high floor guys with little left to improve upon. Texas has had issues weeding through and really evaluating and projecting the talent. And probably a little lazy at the end of Brown's tenure. They could just throw rocks and pick 4 star guys but they just didn't fit or like I said already spent and peaked. May be wrong on some of that though.

I think you have the right idea. The other big thing Mack Brown was famous for was having his classes completed in the spring before their Sr seasons. So he was basically filling his class up while these guys still had a whole other year of HS ball. That meant that those guys could coast through their Sr years & also some late bloomers were going to be left out because their class was completed already.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-15-2015, 09:59 AM
What are the chances he brings Freeze with him? Dream job or not coaching at Texas trumps ole miss especially with the talent Freeze could bring in just being the University of Texas alone.

Unless Freeze wins 11 or 12 games this year why would Texas fan base want Hugh Freeze. Right now Freeze is just another middle of the pack SEC coach in their eyes. He'd have to do something special this season for them to be remotely interested.

Really Clark?
09-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I think you have the right idea. The other big thing Mack Brown was famous for was having his classes completed in the spring before their Sr seasons. So he was basically filling his class up while these guys still had a whole other year of HS ball. That meant that those guys could coast through their Sr years & also some late bloomers were going to be left out because their class was completed already.

That's true he did that a good bit and left them just waiting to add a few highly recruited guys at signing day. Then as they became more unstable losing out on those few guys who could have helped.

Thompson92
09-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Could be a false rumor started by Bjork's agent in order to negotiate a higher salary at OM.***

DancingRabbit
09-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Star inflation got to be ridiculous the last several years Mack was there. After Vince Young won them a title, if Texas showed any interest in a kid he got an extra star.

Same thing happens with Bama but Nick knows how to evaluate talent and character a lot better than Mack's staff could.

Bubb Rubb
09-15-2015, 12:00 PM
you know he is gonna lobby hard for that one

I hope they keep Bjork forever.

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Could be a false rumor started by Bjork's agent in order to negotiate a higher salary at OM.***

It worked for Freeze.

Swagger Vance
09-15-2015, 02:00 PM

Yep, doesnt look good for Strong. Which is too bad. I think a coach should get at least 3-4 years to develop his own players and live or die with them.

shannondawg
09-15-2015, 02:27 PM
In reading some about the reasons for dismissal, he pretty well pissed off the fanbase by raising the ticket prices and premiums up to 50% and the student and faculty up 100%, and cut amenities to the athletes. Charged former players to participate on the field to honor their team.

Now why would he do that if they actually have as much money coming in as advertised. My thinking is he inherited a mess in the athletic department and was trying to clean it up. Or is a damm fool for just doing it cause he could. Well it turns out he couldn't, if thats the case. I just wonder how much a mess the Texas network is in? They ran rough shod over all the other teams in that league and it backfired big time.

I still adhere to the two sides to every story theory,.

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Freeze is not a big enough name for Texas yet. Neither is Bjork. If they are then Texas has indeed fallen a LONG way.

shannondawg
09-15-2015, 02:39 PM
duplicate post.

But did see the Ninja's name listed as one they would be a fool not to consider.

ScottH
09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
The ESPN "expert" (Sounded like Schad) a few minutes ago said the first 2 to talk to would be Tom Jurich at Louisvile and Oliver Luck now at NCAA.

fader2103
09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
I think Texas would be a Top 3 AD job, except they have that Board of Regents who love to think they own the Athletic Dept. and make all the decisions. Its a bad situation.