PDA

View Full Version : Predicting our offense and defense vs OSU in Game 1...

CadaverDawg
07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
How are you expecting us to come out in the first game?

Offensively will we try to come out and run the ball early? Pass to try and open up the run? Or will we try to balance things out from the get-go?

Defensively will we come out and try to bring heat early and risk the HR? Or will we play a lot of zone with some different zone blitz packages? Will we play any man coverage at all with such inexperienced corners? Will we blitz LB's a lot?

I would like to get a general consensus on how everyone thinks we'll come out from an offensive and defensive game plan standpoint, and what type of tempo we will try to set.

I honestly do not know what to expect for the most part. That is part of my pessimistic outlook on our record I think. I fear more of the same on offense, and I fear having to play zone due to inexperience in our secondary on defense. Tell me that I'm wrong and what you expect.

* I'm in full blown football mode now, and I just really want a good football discussion thread about the X's and O's and play calling that we should expect.

Political Hack
07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
If we get the ball first, we'll test their run defense. I don't think Dan will try for the home run ball more than taking one early shot. I expect him to try to eat clock and control the tempo.

Defensively, I fully expect us to come out balls on fire the first 3 plays. Man up on the outside until they get a first down at minimum. I expect to see a lot of small numbers... 5, 22, 38, 39, etc... in the backfield along with the rest of the LB corps.

msstate7
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
If we get the ball first, we'll test their run defense. I don't think Dan will try for the home run ball more than taking one early shot. I expect him to try to eat clock and control the tempo.

Defensively, I fully expect us to come out balls on fire the first 3 plays. Man up on the outside until they get a first down at minimum. I expect to see a lot of small numbers... 5, 22, 38, 39, etc... in the backfield along with the rest of the LB corps.

I agree

CadaverDawg
07-19-2013, 02:54 PM

I tend to agree. Do you expect to see any Prescott between the 20's early on?

Coach 57
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Offensively we will open up throwing the ball to open up the run (not alot difference from last year). But I just get a feeling that the WRs from this year may drop more passes but have better actual playmaking ability. After watching the LSU game again I saw Russell look really comfortable throwing to RoJo and others. Yes he threw to Bumphis last year alot but I actually think it will create more drama for Ok St on gameday. As we have alot of unknowns trying to catch the ball. I actually think that we should be able to run the ball effectively against them without trying to set it up. Malcolm & Jameon will be big unto this game (as far as the pass) because I think once we start throwing the ball they will go to their Cover 2 looks. Show man coverage (as I don't think we can go deep on them with the exception of Malcolm) and blitz, then switch it up to zone blitzes to confuse Tyler. As this is what I'd do to defend us. Bring pressure from his backside to expose the weaker portion of our OL which is the OTs. I have yet to watch film on them. Let me get back to you on our defensive breakdowns.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Offensively we will open up throwing the ball to open up the run (not alot difference from last year). But I just get a feeling that the WRs from this year may drop more passes but have better actual playmaking ability. After watching the LSU game again I saw Russell look really comfortable throwing to RoJo and others. Yes he threw to Bumphis last year alot but I actually think it will create more drama for Ok St on gameday. As we have alot of unknowns trying to catch the ball. I actually think that we should be able to run the ball effectively against them without trying to set it up. Malcolm & Jameon will be big unto this game (as far as the pass) because I think once we start throwing the ball they will go to their Cover 2 looks. Show man coverage (as I don't think we can go deep on them with the exception of Malcolm) and blitz, then switch it up to zone blitzes to confuse Tyler. As this is what I'd do to defend us. Bring pressure from his backside to expose the weaker portion of our OL which is the OTs. I have yet to watch film on them. Let me get back to you on our defensive breakdowns.

So, how should we counter it offensively IF they play defense the way you said you would do it? What's the best way to counter that?

Coach 57
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
A couple of reasons you start out throwing with Tyler.

1.) The last 2 times he played in a BIG game....he struggled. Tyler hasn't forgotten those games. And if Dan doesn't watch it the loss to UM could cost us 3 games (UM, NW & Ok St). Gotta get him comfortable EARLY!

2.) Dan has a 5 yr Sr @ QB who he is going to "show off". Don't think past this either and come up with alot of cliche' reasons why he won't. He will. He has put alot of preseason talk on Tyler's shoulders, he'll show it right off the bat.

3.) Ok St has 1 HUGE glaring weakness.....the secondary! We have a 5 yr QB who.is STILL slumped & dumped.about those last 2 games, his coach has talked about putting it ALL on his shoulders and lastly they have weak DBs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you must start the game throwing the ball with all of that going on.

Coach 57
07-19-2013, 03:38 PM
So, how should we counter it offensively IF they play defense the way you said you would do it? What's the best way to counter that?

Cadaver if they are in a base cover 2 look you must first find out if they are in man or zone. You use presnap motion to determine this. Pretty simple if Lewis is in the slot you motion him from one side of the formation to the next. If the OLB goes with him then it's man if he doesn't it zone.

If they are in man you have 2 ways to combat the look.
1.) Simple....run the ball between the tackles.
2.) Work the middle of the field with Malcolm, Lewis or whoever else is either a slot or TE. As an offense I always predicate what I do Vs what the OLB is doing.

If he or they are in zone the OLB will cheat inside the slot. Then all you have to do is make sure the slot & outside WRs understand their responsibility to run the "out concept" Vs this look. The outside WR runs the go & the slot runs the out route.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Cadaver if they are in a base cover 2 look you must first find out if they are in man or zone. You use presnap motion to determine this. Pretty simple if Lewis is in the slot you motion him from one side of the formation to the next. If the OLB goes with him then it's man if he doesn't it zone.

If they are in man you have 2 ways to combat the look.
1.) Simple....run the ball between the tackles.
2.) Work the middle of the field with Malcolm, Lewis or whoever else is either a slot or TE. As an offense I always predicate what I do Vs what the OLB is doing.

If he or they are in zone the OLB will cheat inside the slot. Then all you have to do is male sure the slot understands his responsibility to run the "out concept" Vs this look.

Interesting. Any idea if their OLB is experienced? Talented? Could that be a potential advantage for us with Jameon and/or Malcolm? Or am I looking at that the wrong way? Is it more about reading him, or is it more important to force him into a mismatch to where WE control their looks more than they can dictate them?

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Interesting. Any idea if their OLB is experienced? Talented? Could that be a potential advantage for us with Jameon and/or Malcolm? Or am I looking at that the wrong way? Is it more about reading him, or is it more important to force him into a mismatch to where WE control their looks more than they can dictate them?

They have two LB that have a lot of experience. SLB Shaun Lewis with 32 starts and MLB Caleb Lavey with 26 starts. The projected starting WLB is a sophomore and I'm not sure how much experience he has. May have played as a freshman in a backup role or on special teams. They have decent size and seem to be a talented group.

Coach 57
07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Less about experience more about assignment. Still watching film on their O. But they look alot like a more explosive better passing NW team we faced in the Gator. They have a 2 QB system too. Much like Siemen & Colter. Both kids have experience too and are well coached. Chelf is what Dan WANTS Tyler to be. Watching them play OU and right as the pocket collapsed he was gone (not slow either). Right before that they ran a QB draw similar to the one that Relf took Vs the bears in 11'. Still watching.

HancockCountyDog
07-19-2013, 04:31 PM

This is going to seem silly but I really think getting the ball first and getting a score is crucial to the game. Our confidence could be a little shaken. Our guys are 1-5 in the last 6 games and Tyler especially hasn't looked like the same QB from the first half of last season. If OSU got the ball first and drove down and scored against our guys, I would be worried that we may start hanging our heads early and start thinking "here we go again".

Don't get me wrong, a part of me wants to play defense first and go out and punch them in the mouth from the word go, but Im still a little worried about our defense, i know our offense can score points.

HancockCountyDog
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Well I traveled over to SPS like I promised myself I wouldn't do, and good lord I have no idea how y'all post over there arguing with some bear fans who want to point out every inaccuracy regarding our first opponent.

I mean seriously, shut the F up tsubearlicker. You would think after last recruiting cycle's total destruction when Deshea decided to become a dawg, would have shut him up for good, but nope that prick keeps on posting.

I just can't wait to beat the living hell out of OSU on national TV and let everyone that doubted us and what this team can do this year can just EAD.

Ronny
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
...here's what I see happening:

First, Mullen will squander his first offensive possessions by tossing those ignorant lateral passes to a WR 5 yds behind the LOS. OSU DB's will have studied that foolishness on film all summer. (With Bumphis now gone, who will catch the lateral passes for the 5 yard loss)?

So our first 2-3 offensive possessions we'll be faced with 3rd &12.

So I expect "oh shit" most of the first half.

If our defense is actually going to return to hitting people again this year, they'll be able to conceal Mullen's initial offensive gaffs. Mullen will go to halftime & perhaps (let us pray) realize that the strength of this team will be running the ball.

But I think after Dan realizes he has a bunch of experienced hosses on the OL, & some speedy RB's who can break creases if blocked for properly, Mullen is going to go Jackie Ball the 2nd half & run it down their throat.

Having said that, I can easily see this game coming down to a FG. And I'm not even going to venutre a guess on that one.