PDA

View Full Version : 43 to 46 yard field goal

7dawg
09-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Watching replay and Graves crushed the 43 yard field goal from the right hash. From the camera angle the ball went out of view. It had to have landed 10 yards past the cross bar. Did anybody on that side of the stadium have a good angle on how far?

Without the penalty, it would only be 9 feet further back. Graves could have hit that and the 52 yarder too in my opinion.

On a side note, did anybody see the blown coverage and Walley breaking free down the middle of the field when Dak hit Wilson to get to the 29 yard line? Dak just turned his head to look to Wilson when he broke free.

Homedawg
09-14-2015, 05:10 PM
That was w a pretty stiff breeze. The last would have been against that same wind.

Swagger Vance
09-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Heres the thing. It should never have been a 52 yard field goal. Blame Dan, Dak, or whoever. Someone has to call that timeout.

msstate7
09-14-2015, 05:14 PM
That was w a pretty stiff breeze. The last would have been against that same wind.

If lsu deferred to 2nd half, wouldn't we have gotten to choose which end zone we wanted?

Homedawg
09-14-2015, 05:23 PM
If lsu deferred to 2nd half, wouldn't we have gotten to choose which end zone we wanted?

We did. And just as lsu did in the first half we took the wind to start the half. The wind hurt us in the first half. they flipped the field on us early in the 1st q and kept field position for 20 mins at least.

spudd21
09-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Watching replay and Graves crushed the 43 yard field goal from the right hash. From the camera angle the ball went out of view. It had to have landed 10 yards past the cross bar. Did anybody on that side of the stadium have a good angle on how far?

Without the penalty, it would only be 9 feet further back. Graves could have hit that and the 52 yarder too in my opinion.

On a side note, did anybody see the blown coverage and Walley breaking free down the middle of the field when Dak hit Wilson to get to the 29 yard line? Dak just turned his head to look to Wilson when he broke free.

I had an older gentleman behind me screaming at the top of his lungs, "throw it to walley" on that very play

Rayburn8
09-14-2015, 06:56 PM
I was in the Student Section, Graves first kick would of went in from at least 46 maybe 50. Also there was no wind when Bell kicked, I looked at the flags before he kicked to see.

Coach34
09-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Ive heard that Knox wanted Graves to kick it- Mullen overruled him. This is strictly a rumor- I cannot confirm if this is true or not

I seen it dawg
09-14-2015, 08:04 PM
I was in the Student Section, Graves first kick would of went in from at least 46 maybe 50. Also there was no wind when Bell kicked, I looked at the flags before he kicked to see.

Flags weren't indicative of the wind. The wind was ripping thru the gap on the home side of the terrace in scoreboard club. Wind tunnel like about mid post level.

Coach34
09-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Botton line- if Mullen doesnt **** up- runs 15 on a power to get the ball in the middle of the field, calls the time out and sets up the 44 yd attempt- Graves kicks it and gives us our best chance to win. Mullen failed with the spotlight on him- and that is not acceptable

Bothrops
09-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Sucks that Bell was left to beat himself up over a mistake made by someone else. Personally, I would have let Graves kick if another coach approached me and suggested it. Hindsight 20/20 too though.

Todd4State
09-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Sucks that Bell was left to beat himself up over a mistake made by someone else. Personally, I would have let Graves kick if another coach approached me and suggested it. Hindsight 20/20 too though.

If anyone is upset at Bell, then their anger is misplaced and it should be directed at the person that put him in that position to start with.

Todd4State
09-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Botton line- if Mullen doesnt **** up- runs 15 on a power to get the ball in the middle of the field, calls the time out and sets up the 44 yd attempt- Graves kicks it and gives us our best chance to win. Mullen failed with the spotlight on him- and that is not acceptable

This is literally the third time Dan has cost us or almost cost us against LSU in seven years. First you had the jump pass debacle. Second was last years substitution debacle that almost cost us- and now this year's Les Miles tribute to time management.

Bothrops
09-14-2015, 09:33 PM
I'm sick of playing Lsu, and if it were up to me, I'd take 'em off our football schedule forever. That 09' game still makes me sick. They own us and always will. No matter what.

Todd4State
09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm sick of playing Lsu, and if it were up to me, I'd take 'em off our football schedule forever. That 09' game still makes me sick. They own us and always will. No matter what.

They didn't own us last year- and if you look at the last seven years objectively it's more a matter of our coaches making better decisions than anything else.

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2015, 09:59 PM
This thread makes me want to go play in traffic on I-10

Lance Harbor
09-15-2015, 06:51 AM

On TV, they gave you Dak's view on the pass to Bear to the 29. Given Dak was under pressure, but right as he fired the pass to Bear, Walley (or Ross) broke wide open over the middle. Like so open that a keyboard cowboy would have made it to the end zone. On the last drives it looked as if Dak was going to Bear regardless of what was happening. Not a bad problem to have, but wonder if he was passing to Bear, regardless.

DancingRabbit
09-15-2015, 01:31 PM
While re-watching the end, the announcer said Dan was trying to get a timeout. The camera never showed the sideline during the whole ordeal so I don't know.

Hasn't been anything said about it, so I presume Dan didn't try getting the timeout until it was down to 1 or zero.

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2015, 02:26 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Sure we could have done better on that play before the FG. There were several others that had we done better it might have changed the outcome. You can't place all the blame on one single play in a game like that. Dak taking a sack on the drive before may have been even worse, but that single play didn't cost us the game either. Neither did the phantom or dumb penalty that kept one of LSU's 1st quarter TD drives going, not by itself. There are others, some of wich probably aren't evident without a thorough breakdown of the films.

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2015, 02:27 PM

My student days beg to differ. Emory owned them.