PDA

View Full Version : Rankin

msstate7
09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Any chance the RS is off this week?

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm not a football coach and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here is my take. It seemed the second half that the OL found itself and did much better. However, that still doesn't erase the fact that Warren has been abused like an altar boy these first two games. I maybe give him a quarter or half against NW State. If he continues to go backwards every play then let Rankin have a shot. We need to find some OL consistency before Auburn.

Coach34
09-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Any chance the RS is off this week?

why would we?

MafiaDawg
09-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Yea what's the point if we don't plan on running dak or finding a new rb...the OL is pass blocking pretty good. We're gonna become Washington st throwing it every down and becoming totally predictable if we're not careful.

msstate7
09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
why would we?

Bc we aren't very good at LT

HoopsDawg
09-14-2015, 02:55 PM

I'd like to see E. Jenkins play half the game against Nw State and at least 1 series with the 1's. If Jenkins is close to Warren at all, play Jenkins and know that he's got 3 more years.

Coach34
09-14-2015, 02:57 PM

Well, Warren was clearly better- so no- we wont. Rankin is not going to play this year unless we have a major injury

Johnson85
09-14-2015, 03:01 PM

That's not really relevant though unless Rankin is actually better. Presumably Warren looked as good or better than Rankin two weeks ago. So you only burn the redshirt now if you think Rankin looks better than Jenkins and Warren.

msstate7
09-14-2015, 03:04 PM
That's not really relevant though unless Rankin is actually better. Presumably Warren looked as good or better than Rankin two weeks ago. So you only burn the redshirt now if you think Rankin looks better than Jenkins and Warren.
I'm assuming a guy as talented as rankin is getting better in practice. I could certainly be wrong in that assumption

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2015, 03:07 PM
I think we have to get Elgton some reps just to see what he looks like. Not just for this year but next year as well.

HoopsDawg
09-14-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm assuming a guy as talented as rankin is getting better in practice. I could certainly be wrong in that assumption

It's so hard to tell in practice, especially during the season b/c we never go full contact, 100% effort. I can tell you that there is not a huge difference between those 3 tackles (Warren, Jenkins, and Rankin). Warren has been in the program a long time, he's a 5th year senior is a very likeable guy and hard worker. He was the swing tackle last year, so he got the nod. Hopefully, we use this next game to see what Jenkins can do.

jumbo
09-14-2015, 03:20 PM
I think we have to get Elgton some reps just to see what he looks like. Not just for this year but next year as well.

I agree completely. If we are set with RS Rankin, fine. But let's give Jenkins a shot because I don't think he can be worse than Rufus.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm not a football coach and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here is my take. It seemed the second half that the OL found itself and did much better. However, that still doesn't erase the fact that Warren has been abused like an altar boy these first two games. I maybe give him a quarter or half against NW State. If he continues to go backwards every play then let Rankin have a shot. We need to find some OL consistency before Auburn.

when you can study the other guys defense and see their strength you can run plays that exposes their weakness and protect your weakness. At half time Saturday Mullen and crew figured out what plays and formations to run that protected our O-Line plus I think the line jelled the second half of the game. Looked like they were helping each other out blocking.

My opinion and I am sticking with it.

I seen it dawg
09-14-2015, 04:43 PM

He's not the only one. If the pundits think we lost a bunch this year wait until next year when we REALLY lose a bunch of experienced players. Better get those young ones on the field. They are going to make mistakes and you can't just wait until they practice mistake free before you play them. We've got to play some of these guys more than one play a game or on special teams.

If they aren't ready then what in the **** have we been doing with guys that are redshirted? These guys should be ready to contribute some meaningful snaps. Our coaches have to do a better job of getting them ready and/or stop being so ****** stubborn and put them on the field.

Dallas_Dawg
09-14-2015, 06:15 PM
If Rufus is better than Jenkins and Rankin, then we are ****ed for years to come.
Is is because Rufus simply "knows the plays" better? Or is actually better at driving another man backwards or not giving up ground on a pass rush?

C34, for you to just say he "looked better", do you mean practice? Because he has looked like shit and it is a mismatch. It's great and all that he is a fifth year senior and stuck it out and worked hard, but that doesn't win games.

And if you think about it, it's not all that far-fetched to think, maybe a 3 star tight end who never saw the field much cannot convert to LEFT tackle and be a productive SEC player. I don't give a shit how well he blocks Torrey Dale in practice or whatever, he didn't get it done against shitty USM and he sure as hell didn't against LSU. It's time to ride or die with the young guys. Rufus can play the second half against NW State and teams like that

Todd4State
09-14-2015, 09:09 PM

This is the boat I am in right now as far Rufus and LT. Plus, I think Rankin is more of a RT anyway.