PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Traffic

LC Dawg
09-14-2015, 10:09 AM
I figured I'd start a thread bitching about something other than football just for a change of pace.
Did anyone have major issues getting off campus Saturday night (actually Sunday morning)? I park at Allen and traffic was at a standstill until about 1:30. I made it to Louisville at 2:45.
I know capacity crowds are going to lead to longer traffic times but we seem to be getting worse at it. I expect to be delayed some but for traffic to not even move for over an hour seems to indicate someone is doing something wrong. It is almost futile to try to leave out Blackjack but people keep trying to go that way.

Mjoelner34
09-14-2015, 10:43 AM
When the crowd stays for the entire game like Saturday night, I think a lot of it depends on how fast you get to your car after the game. I pretty much jog to mine and have to be careful to not run over people because I'm moving so fast. I only live 2 miles from campus but I was already in the easy chair at home at 12:15. Friends staying with me that parked in the same lot as I did didn't get to my house until 2:35am.

sleepy dawg
09-14-2015, 10:50 AM
I figured I'd start a thread bitching about something other than football just for a change of pace.
Did anyone have major issues getting off campus Saturday night (actually Sunday morning)? I park at Allen and traffic was at a standstill until about 1:30. I made it to Louisville at 2:45.
I know capacity crowds are going to lead to longer traffic times but we seem to be getting worse at it. I expect to be delayed some but for traffic to not even move for over an hour seems to indicate someone is doing something wrong. It is almost futile to try to leave out Blackjack but people keep trying to go that way.

That is terrible, but far from my experiences. I haven't had any troubles getting out. I suggest trying to park somewhere else. I like to move around and try out different spots to see what's working, but it changes year to year.

Liverpooldawg
09-14-2015, 10:51 AM
I was back home after an hour's drive at 1:40. Then again I parked within sight of the Highway Patrol station. 30 minute walk.

Smitty
09-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Park a little further away. Get home much earlier.

Outside Dawg
09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
I park at Allen and traffic was at a standstill until about 1:30.

You talking about Lot 21 beside Allen? That is my lot and it is brutal. I didn't have a place to stay in Starkville Saturday and was driving back to Memphis so I parked somewhere else. As our group was pulling through West Point, I told them that I literally would not be out of the parking lot yet if I had parked in 21. I don't understand what is happening, but the traffic literally sits still for over an hour.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Never park on campus for big games. Park down town, ride the shuttle in and walk back to you car when it is over. Out of starkville 45 minutes after game.

LC Dawg
09-14-2015, 11:19 AM
You talking about Lot 21 beside Allen? That is my lot and it is brutal. I didn't have a place to stay in Starkville Saturday and was driving back to Memphis so I parked somewhere else. As our group was pulling through West Point, I told them that I literally would not be out of the parking lot yet if I had parked in 21. I don't understand what is happening, but the traffic literally sits still for over an hour.

Yes Lot 21. We tailgate in front of McCarthy so its great as far as proximity to that but it is brutal leaving, especially for night games when everyone is more likely to leave at once. I understand when traffic is slow moving but as you said it is just at a standstill.
We are going to look at different options next year.

rabbitthedawg
09-14-2015, 11:46 AM
We are in lot 11 behind Dorman, left stadium Scoreboard Club when the 3 seconds ran off and we missed the field goal. managed to get to Blackjack Road at 12.40 AM, then on to Browning Creek at approximately 12:55. Wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. We had guest who didn't have a parking pass and it was 2:10 am before they got to Browning Creek

state66
09-14-2015, 11:56 AM
I didn't see near enough police officer's on campus directing traffic. multiple intersection were a free for all with people trying to pull out into traffic and just making things worse. I think traffic could have been made much better if we put police at the major intersections on campus. There may have been police on campus but the only ones I saw were on 12 and 182 and not on actual campus.

drunkernhelldawg
09-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Maybe people ought to be told they can take Octock to the refuge and hit 45A.

sleepy dawg
09-14-2015, 01:42 PM
I was back home after an hour's drive at 1:40. Then again I parked within sight of the Highway Patrol station. 30 minute walk.

I walk a good ways too. Mostly because I'm cheap, but it also puts me on the other side of the bad traffic jams.

Liverpooldawg
09-14-2015, 02:14 PM
I walk a good ways too. Mostly because I'm cheap, but it also puts me on the other side of the bad traffic jams.

If you want to get off campus quick that is really your only option. That's why I parked where I did for this game (after my normal quick get away lot was full).