PDA

View Full Version : My two cents on the first two games

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Which after you read this you may think I overcharged.

To be honest, I was more upset after the USM win than I was the LSU loss. I made a post on the LSU game thread that the rout was on. At the time I honestly thought we were about to get blown out of our own building. I was very happy to be proven wrong. For whatever reason it seems that something clicked after LSU got 21 points. The defense bowed up and the offense started moving the ball. If you take out that horrendous first quarter you saw a game we can arguably say we dominated. I can guarantee you nobody on this board thought at that point at time the game woudl have come down to a last second FG attempt for the win. That shows the team did not quit and just roll over. They still have some fight and pride.

Now do we still have some question marks? Absolutely. Do I question some of the decisions the coaching staff is making? Absolutely. I really hope that Mullen is not trying to make Dak a pocket passer to hopefully improve his draft stock. I really don't think he is. I really don't know why he didn't run more. I wish he had. It could have been that LSU had that LB spy on him the whole game taking that away and our staff saw it. It looked as though LSU was forcing Dak to beat them with his arm and he almost did just that. I only saw one or two bad passes that he made which was a huge improvement over the USM game where it seemed he couldn't get the side of a barn. If going forward, teams keep employing that strategy, he is going to burn some secondaries like a cheap toaster.

During the game I was ready to write off this season, but after it is over and I have had a couple days to reflect I am stepping back from the ledge. Now, if those that say LSU is just an average team and they end up finishing the season 7-5 then I will be wrong. But They do have a good defense and they do have a serious Heisman contender at RB. Having that elite of a RB with a very good OL will allow you to stack the box and still give yards on the ground. All you have to do to see proof is go back and watch our game film when we had Dixon and Miller. We had horrible QB play. Everybody we lined up against had no fear of a passing game and stacked the box every down. But those RB's and our OL allowed us to get substantial yards on the ground. Fournette looks to be every bit the RB those two are and he will be a starter on Sundays in a couple of years. But while he got his yards, our defense blew him up in the backfield or at the LOS several times. We do have an elite DL. It's a little more elite when Torry Dale is not out there, but elite nonetheless.

So to sum up...put down the bottle of pills and slide your heads out of the noose. It's easy to want to kick the dog through the TV when we lose a game we should have won and we see TSUN putting up video game scores against The Sisters of the Poor convent. Let's see what they do this weekend in T-town and let's see how we respond against Northwestern State and then Auburn. I think we destroy the former and win comfortably against the latter. If in two weeks we are sitting at 3-1 then all is well.

Dawgface
09-14-2015, 07:10 AM
If we are at 3-1 in a couple of weeks, I will be happy as we will still have a chance for a very good year. Lose to AU, we will be scrambling to make a bowl.

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Yes, if we lose to Auburn then we are in trouble. I do not think they are a good team at all. Their QB makes the one LSU has look like Joe Montana. I think he throws at least 2 picks in our game and we win by 10+.

BrunswickDawg
09-14-2015, 07:47 AM
To add to your Fournette assessment - Harris is a key. If he continues to be a game manager and not turn the ball over LSU can easily make a run deep into the season. From what I saw Saturday, they are going to maul Auburn. Harris made no real mistakes Saturday, ran when he needed to, and had no turnovers. As we have seen with Bama, that can lead you to NC's when you have a back like Fournette.

mparkerfd20
09-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Dan has turned Dak into Tyler Russell 2.0. Until that changes 7 wins is our ceiling.

Dawgology
09-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Dan has turned Dak into Tyler Russell 2.0. Until that changes 7 wins is our ceiling.

Any team that can pass will carve our secondary to pieces and if we can't handle LSU at home then we won't handle Bama either. That leaves our OOC that we should win and maybe (possibly) Arkansas and Auburn. But both of those games are away so they are toss-ups. A&M, UM, Mizz, and Kentucky will destroy our secondary.

Tbonewannabe
09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Any team that can pass will carve our secondary to pieces and if we can't handle LSU at home then we won't handle Bama either. That leaves our OOC that we should win and maybe (possibly) Arkansas and Auburn. But both of those games are away so they are toss-ups. A&M, UM, Mizz, and Kentucky will destroy our secondary.

Mizzou looked like hot garbage also. UK might be the 2nd best team in the east if UT collapses. It is probably going to take McElwain another year to clean up Muschamp's mess.