PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from last night

Coach 57
09-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I told you guys the LT was a HUGE issue! And going forward we MUST do something to remedy that, part of that can be playcalling, on field personnel & line shifts to hide this deficiency but this is a REAL problem! And left unchecked or remedied it could make a 9 win team a 6 win team.

We need to settle down though on these other issues. Dan really poorly handled the clock management late in that game though. And it cost us late. But you if you guys think this LSU team is "average" you don't know crap about football. There is a reason that they are picked to win the conference. They have the best RB (to me & many others as well) in CFB. To be THAT big and to make those jump cuts he was making is ridiculous. Honestly had his teammates not gotten in his way (2 times) he would've broken two long TDs on us. He ran into the back of 83 and later his TE both of which slowed him down enough for us to catch him from behind. This team is going to be GOOD and Harris isn't going to lose games for them based on their offensive philosophy. This team very well can win 11 games. Mark it down, they are going to beat Bama!

And to say this, that as good as they are we were within 1 FG to beat this team? And we are "down" about it?

My positives were these: our DL played pretty salty (esp Jones & AJ), Dak finally got in a rhythm late in the game, and I did feel like our CBs played well. Stop dropping your shoulders guys, it's JUST the first game.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Good stuff.

What are we going to do about our run game, or lack thereof, Coach?

Why did we totally abandon trying to get Dak involved in the run game? Basically zero designed runs, and no keepers on the read option. Was it a Dan decision to tell Dak not to scramble when he could get yards, or is that all on Dak in your opinion?

Thanks.

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
There were at least three designs runs for Dak. He scored in close on one. The other two were stuffed. I think it's a little of both on why he isn't running much. I'm sure he is trying to stay in the pocket more. As for Dan, I expect he is a bit leery of running him behind that line.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 05:17 PM
There were at least three designs runs for Dak. He scored in close on one. The other two were stuffed. I think it's a little of both on why he isn't running much. I'm sure he is trying to stay in the pocket more. As for Dan, I expect he is a bit leery of running him behind that line.

He wasn't stuffed on the other two....he just didn't get the 4 and 7 yards required for a first down. A QB draw on 3rd and 7 that gets 4 yards, is not considered "stuffed", it's considered a dipshit playcall. Can't blame that on the OL. Again, were they bad? Yes, nobody is denying that. Were they the only reason our run game was non existent? NO.

So, you say Dan is leery of running him behind the line, but admit Dan is asking him to hold it longer instead of scrambling? That makes no sense. It's much more dangerous to tell a QB to go through 4 progressions behind a crappy line than to run a run play behind a crappy line. Or at least AS dangerous.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Coach,

Just curious if you thought us not having game tape on LSU's defensive line & scheme was a factor early in the game?

It appeared to me that LSU caught our line off guard with some of their stunts early in the game. Was this due to us not being prepared for that, or was it just poor o-line play that should have been elementary?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-13-2015, 07:53 PM
I was extremely pissed about the start, but there is no doubt we made some awesome half time adjustments. I think you're right on point shotgun, we didn't have film on what they were wanting to do and who on their team excelled at certain aspects on D. Those true freshmen were very impressive and looked like juniors or seniors already.

bulldawg28
09-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Coach,

Just curious if you thought us not having game tape on LSU's defensive line & scheme was a factor early in the game?

It appeared to me that LSU caught our line off guard with some of their stunts early in the game. Was this due to us not being prepared for that, or was it just poor o-line play that should have been elementary?

Most definitely the delayed blitzes not being shown on film was a disadvantage for us. We adjusted in the second half however they did a great job keeping Dak uncomfortable. We might as well get ready LSU just gave the rest of the SEC a blueprint to stuffing our run, again. Steele employed the same defense that Ole Miss and Bama used last year with the addition of twists and delayed blitzes.

missouridawg
09-13-2015, 09:08 PM

It's not the designed run calls that were the problem. It was the read option that Dak never kept and it's the lack of scrambling on pass plays that hurts. If the opponent knows Dak isn't going to run on a pass play, that MLB is free to disrupt coverage.... Instead of containing Dak.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 10:26 PM
It's not the designed run calls that were the problem. It was the read option that Dak never kept and it's the lack of scrambling on pass plays that hurts. If the opponent knows Dak isn't going to run on a pass play, that MLB is free to disrupt coverage.... Instead of containing Dak.

Yep

Coach007
09-14-2015, 06:56 AM
The issue is that we did not run our play book with Dak. I don't disagree with most of what you stated, but that's the issue.

We have a new ol. We held them back from gaining experience vs usm in the plays that got us to#1. Why? Why not use the aybook and get them real game experience vs usm? To keep the Sec from having game footage? Lol.... they already have it.

We, for 1.5 quarters, refused to open up the offense vs LSU. Was the same vs bama. It's not so much the lack of a viable rb. It's not the huge issue at the ot. As you said yourself... play calling can help with that... and those plays have been taken out for what ever reason.

Coach 57
09-14-2015, 07:39 AM
A few things also are:

One key component in Saturday's game Vs last yrs was that Beckwith didn't play last year. He is a stud and honestly his experience played a huge part in shutting down our run game. We tried to use his size to our advantage by splitting him out Vs the slot WR and even with Gus and it worked but it goes against the philosophy of our physical run style. So there was that.

A few questions about their defense or not having tape on them. Do I think it was an issue? Yes. They did a lot of what OM did in the EB last year. They learned some concepts from that game. Like splitting the 5 tech gap way outside the OTs shoulders & then bumping the DT into a 1 tech gap and then walking the MLB into the straight up 4 tech gap all pre-snap. What happens is, the OT's natural tendency is to block the guy in front of him (the MLB) and NOT the DE way out in the 5.5 gap. But in all honesty who ever calls the blocking schemes out (could be the C or sometimes the QB) MUST recognize this and help out his team mates to adjust the shift. You can only adjust based on what you see. But sometimes the defense shows "sugar looks" or false reads. Like if this happens (and it did often) Beckwith would walk down in the 4 tech gap and Rufus or even Senior did it too would try to put his mits on him only to see him drop in coverage. And as the OT would try to slide over (or over compensate) the DE would "twist" inside that gap exposing vulnerability. One thing you can credit is Coach O for hanving the DL prepped for stunts & twists in that game. It confused our OL.

And don't get caught up in the stats either, we may have not given up sacks late in the game. But it had more to do with them rushing ONLY 3 and dropping 8. And less to do with our OL. It's normally easier to block 3 with 5.

What are some things we can do in play calling Vs that type of aggressive DL? Screens & draws. We tried one designed screen and Dak looked horrible throwing that ball. It was almost a pick. A very well trained DL can read them, that's why you suck them into draws (which we never attempted).

Coach007
09-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Just go back, like I did, and watch lat year vs LSU. Not the same mind set in the first quarter. And we have not had that mind set starting with Bama last season.

I thought when I saw the first play sat that we were going to go after it. No. We simply are not running the plays. We are way to conservative for this OL. None of the fakes.... None of the slips, no rolling out...none.

FISHDAWG
09-14-2015, 08:22 AM
I told you guys the LT was a HUGE issue! And going forward we MUST do something to remedy that, part of that can be playcalling, on field personnel & line shifts to hide this deficiency but this is a REAL problem! And left unchecked or remedied it could make a 9 win team a 6 win team.

We need to settle down though on these other issues. Dan really poorly handled the clock management late in that game though. And it cost us late. But you if you guys think this LSU team is "average" you don't know crap about football. There is a reason that they are picked to win the conference. They have the best RB (to me & many others as well) in CFB. To be THAT big and to make those jump cuts he was making is ridiculous. Honestly had his teammates not gotten in his way (2 times) he would've broken two long TDs on us. He ran into the back of 83 and later his TE both of which slowed him down enough for us to catch him from behind. This team is going to be GOOD and Harris isn't going to lose games for them based on their offensive philosophy. This team very well can win 11 games. Mark it down, they are going to beat Bama!

And to say this, that as good as they are we were within 1 FG to beat this team? And we are "down" about it?

My positives were these: our DL played pretty salty (esp Jones & AJ), Dak finally got in a rhythm late in the game, and I did feel like our CBs played well. Stop dropping your shoulders guys, it's JUST the first game.

a big positive for me was the reassurance that Manny Diaz is still a very capable DC ... after the first two quick TD's in the first - they only scored again on a two play drive in the third ... holding those guys to 21 pts wasn't a bad effort

DawgInMemphis
09-14-2015, 09:16 AM

Nick James played very well with great energy. Kept pursuit and caught LF from behind a few times when he could have easily put it in neutral after LF was behind him.

DawgInMemphis
09-14-2015, 09:18 AM
a big positive for me was the reassurance that Manny Diaz is still a very capable DC ... after the first two quick TD's in the first - they only scored again on a two play drive in the third ... holding those guys to 21 pts wasn't a bad effort

I hope you're right, but I'll wait to reserve judgement against a team that isn't going to make themselves so one dimensional.

confucius say
09-14-2015, 09:23 AM

And those first two Lsu td came on possessions that started in our territory.

fishwater99
09-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Just go back, like I did, and watch lat year vs LSU. Not the same mind set in the first quarter. And we have not had that mind set starting with Bama last season.

I thought when I saw the first play sat that we were going to go after it. No. We simply are not running the plays. We are way to conservative for this OL. None of the fakes.... None of the slips, no rolling out...none.

Agreed...

GTHOM
09-14-2015, 11:51 AM
The 3rd and 7 5 wide QB run is not going to work vs SEC teams anymore. I knew that going into the game. We all knew that. But evidently Dan didnt. Teams have adjusted. They have figured it out. If we get that look vs an SEC team again their HC and DC should be fired. On the zone read Dak did not keep it and I think he would have never made that decision and this point last year. Mullen has trained him to hand it off to give the illusion that the D has to account for him even on a zone read where he is not going to keep it. Running a zone read while telling your QB to always give it may work the first time, but to do it time and time again is like running a dive and not blocking the nose guard. You cannot expect anyone to buy that Dak Prescott is not scrambling all by himself. Mullen has told him not to scramble and sit in there. Dak is a competitor. I dont think he would come back to not do what is best for the team to win.