PDA

View Full Version : LSU game thoughts

GTHOM
09-13-2015, 01:18 PM
That sucked. We were pure garbage on offense for 1.5 qtrs and it lost us the game. LSU scored in the 1st qtr after getting good field position. Ashton Shumpert is not an inside/outside zone RB. Which is the base running play for our offense. If he is going to be the guy we need to run power, lead, basically Anthony Dixon 09 offense. Everybody saying ''Dak didnt run the ball'' is correct. Mullen is without a doubt telling Dak to stand in there and throw it no matter what. On the zone read plays it is automatic handoff every...single.. time. Takes away a huge portion of our offense. The Mullen can do no wrong crowd can hate me or ignore what Im saying I dont care but that is what is going on and your an ignorant dumbass if you cant see it. Dak did look great throwing the ball especially considering he was under pressure for most of the first half. It did get better in the 2nd and we moved the ball up and down the field. If Dak can show that he can beat you from the pocket consistently (which he did last night) we have no excuse not to be unstoppable on offense. OL was terrible for 1st half got better as the game went along. I think we can run the ball a lot better with a non handcuffed Dak and a different RB. I was impressed with our WRS and Gus Walley. The ball Fred dropped at the goal line was PI all damn day we got no call. They PId on Bear Wilson on the play he got hurt on, no call. If holloway doesnt drop the ball he walks into the endzone in the first half. Overall Mullen took way to long to adjust to what they were vulnerable too. Being a coach myself (a young one) there is no excuse for allowing a delay of game penalty with the game on the line. Mullen did not perform well last night. At times? Yes. Overall? No.

Defensively we battled our asses off. I was suprised at how much bigger they were than us up front. CJ and Nick James were the only 2 that matched up size wise. We need to tackle better several missed tackles on the TD drive in the 2nd half. We were in the backfield 3 straight plays only to miss a tackle and they haul ass. We fought our asses off against a great OL and the best RB in the nation. I think we will be fine on defense especially when the younger guys (JT Gray, Brandon Bryant, Dez Harris etc.) get rolling. Dez didnt set the edge on fournettes TD in the 2nd half but he will improve. That said, Zach Jackson is not an SEC LB, Market and Coman are not SEC Safeties. Mullen needs to quit micromanaging and let the younger dogs play. It is also obvious to me, that we are not running Diaz's full defense. Diaz is blitz heavy on 3rd down, we blitzed some but not as much as he is known for. We have ran the same defense for 7 or 8 years now (however long Mullen has been here) and have had multiple DCs. That tells me Mullen has a hand in the D. Once again the Mullen is perfect crowd can 17 off if they wanna ignore it. I was impressed with the way the D got them off the field and gave us more than one chance to win. We have legit playmakers in the Browns, CJ, AJ, Redmond and Calhoun, Ryan Brown. Wanna see gerri green more, he didnt play a snap of D last night. Only ST.

ST wise we were not horrible but not great. That bad punt gave them a TD. Westin Graves looked good again. Devon Bell looked shitty again. The KO strategy is about the only thing Mullen takes risks on. That is sad

I think we can still beat everyone on the schedule but our coaching and preparation has to improve in big games. That is 4 IN A ROW Mullen has underwhelmed. (Bama, TSUN, GT, LSU). I was proud of the way we fought all night though. Shows we can beat anyone and we wont lay down. That goes a long way folks. After seeing Arky and Auburn struggle I think we can and will win at least one of those games. Hopefully both. I still dont really know how good TAMU is, I think we can beat them. We need to find a RB this week, take the cuffs off Dak, and let the young dogs play on D.

Hail State

maroonmania
09-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Defense has some issues for sure but in today's college football holding someone to 21 points who has potent weapons on offense is liveable. Our offense and punt game put the defense in bad spots in the first quarter. Our BIG issue is that we are a run-based spread offense right now that can't run the ball. We've got an OL that can't open up much space and a very average RB as our main tailback. People can laugh about Holloway as a RB all they want but in the first 2 weeks he looks to be the best we have. Its great that Dak can throw for 300+ yards on a good LSU defense, often where he was throwing into a TINY window because our WRs had no separation, but that is NOT our bread and butter. We cannot have Dak never running except for called runs for him up the middle between the Guards. And we might as well scrap the read option is Dak keeping is not an option. All it does is lose 5 yards a pop cause defenses aren't even accounting for him much. Brandon Harris had two big runs for LSU on balls he kept on the read and I'm sitting there thinking WHY IS DAK NOT DOING THAT! Guess we are saving Dak for NW State.

GTHOM
09-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Defense has some issues for sure but in today's college football holding someone to 21 points who has potent weapons on offense is liveable. Our offense and punt game put the defense in bad spots in the first quarter. Our BIG issue is that we are a run-based spread offense right now that can't run the ball. We've got an OL that can't open up much space and a very average RB as our main tailback. People can laugh about Holloway as a RB all they want but in the first 2 weeks he looks to be the best we have. Its great that Dak can throw for 300+ yards on a good LSU defense, often where he was throwing into a TINY window because our WRs had no separation, but that is NOT our bread and butter. We cannot have Dak never running except for called runs for him up the middle between the Guards. And we might as well scrap the read option is Dak keeping is not an option. All it does is lose 5 yards a pop cause defenses aren't even accounting for him much. Brandon Harris had two big runs for LSU on balls he kept on the read and I'm sitting there thinking WHY IS DAK NOT DOING THAT! Guess we are saving Dak for NW State.

Agreed. The way we are running read option now is like running a dive and not blocking the nose guard