PDA

View Full Version : My final thoughts on LSU before flipping the page...

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 09:57 AM
1. We better hope LSU's run D was 10 times better than they expected, because we won't go bowling without a better run game.

2. Dan turned Dak into a star, and now he's stolen it from him by taking away his legs. If this is our new offense, we'll lose a Lot this year, and Dak will be a no name by year end.

3. How do we somehow not have a Running Back? Seriously, how?

4. "Hevesy will always have a good OL"....Nope. We have major issues at OL, emphasis on LT.

5. Our Special Teams play costs us points in every single game, and last night was no different. Our kickoff approach is dumb, our punting has gotten woefully bad, and our FG kicking is garbage when we need it the most. I'll repeat, if I was Graves and I had ever made a 50+ yard FG in practice, I'd probably punch Mullen in the face for throwing Bell out there last night.

6. We are no longer "physical MSU", and this scares me more than anything.

7. Our defense now consists of diving at people's feet, and not wrapping up. We play D like we are a FCS team playing SEC teams. Not like a big boy with big boy athletes. Someone tell Manny that the "new tackling we've implemented" isn't worth shit. We look like we're reaching for flags.

In summary, I have had time to sleep on it, and I'm still worried Bc of what I saw. We came out flat and without any offensive gameplan. Our OL was dominated, our RB's aren't good, and our one source of a ground game (Dak) has been castrated in an attempt to make him an NFL QB. Our DL looked good at times, but no depth...our linebackers (except Benny) aren't wrapping up, and Jackson is a total liability. Our corners are decent, but they're being forced into playing zone, so we're taking away a strength. And our Safeties looked like dogs chasing their tails back there on every deep ball...if they were even in the screen with the WR. Seriously, Coman looks like a chicken with his head cut off on deep balls...he panics and just starts flailing around.

When you look at those issues, it's hard to think we can beat anybody decent. Unless something drastic happens with our OL, RB, and QB ground game...I think we struggle to go bowling this year.

Our one true weapon is our WR play. And if we would give Dak the run/pass option, we may be able to do some things on offense, but unfortunately we are a one dimensional finesse passing team with a running QB...and that Ain't going to get you far in the SEC.

Sorry for being so negative, but there were just too few positives for a home opener against a SEC opponent. If we find a way to beat Auburn or A&M, I'll change my tune, but lose those 2 and we'll be lucky to bowl Bc we won't beat Bama or Ole Miss with no OL. LSU is exactly what they were last year based on what I saw....but we have taken a huge step back. Mostly Due to Mullen and his handling of Dak, and our OL play or lack thereof

Dawgface
09-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Can't argue with any of your points. Time will tell the tale if things are fixable.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2015, 10:10 AM
I agree with many of your thoughts but believe this is a little over pessimistic.

Even with all these FCS problems that we have, we missed a field goal the would've beaten Louisiana State last night, dropped a TD pass that would have won it, took a ridiculous delay of game, and dropped a two point conversion that would have tied it. We did all of this without having any game film them and looking completely lost, in part due to that, in the first 20 minutes of the game.

I am extremely sick to my stomach this morning, not because I think we suck but because we lost a game in which we blew opportunities and should have won. If the game had a 5th quarter or we played LSU this week again, I think we would win.

Lastly, we certainly have issues and must find a running game, but this is a team full of new starters that will most likely gel later in the season. While I'm sick to my stomach and still furious, I think we have a chance to have a good football team and beat some folks. We need to get better next week.

msstate7
09-13-2015, 10:11 AM
I agree with many of your thoughts but believe this is a little over pessimistic.

Even with all these FCS problems that we have, we missed a field goal the would've beaten Louisiana State last night, dropped a TD pass that would have won it, took a ridiculous delay of game, and dropped a two point conversion that would have tied it. We did all of this without having any game film them and looking completely lost, in part due to that, in the first 20 minutes of the game.

I am extremely sick to my stomach this morning, not because I think we suck but because we lost a game in which we blew opportunities and should have won. If the game had a 5th quarter or we played LSU this week again, I think we would win.

Lastly, we certainly have issues and must find a running game, but this is a team full of new starters that will most likely gel later in the season. While I'm sick to my stomach and still furious, I think we have a chance to have a good football team and beat some folks. We need to get better next week.

Yep

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Do you seriously think we didn't have an offensive game plan? Come on man that isn't rational. We had one, it didn't work. They finally did adjust. The reasons it took so long were the OL had serious trouble blocking and what finally did work was the short passing game. That is about as far from what we were last year as you can get. We could block the run last year and our passing game was mostly down field. The most impressive thing of the night was how well were were able to do something that is so far from what we really want to do. That being said I agree about Dak and the run game. He has to be turned loose. As of now though it's going to have to be on passing plays that aren't there because we can't block enough to run called QB runs or the zone read. Until that's corrected, if it can be, we are going to look like exactly what we will be, a team that is trying to do something it really doesn't want to do.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 10:16 AM

I respect that and somewhat agree. The problem with the drops, shooting ourselves in the foot, etc....is that we've now made those mistakes for 2 straight games this year, and haven't played a complete game (offense, defense, ST) since the game before the Arkansas game LAST year. If it happens once vs LSU, it's unfortunate....but if it happens every game in some facet for the last several games, it's a trend. And so far this year, we look like a team that drops the big pass, misses the big kick, and handcuffs their number 1 weapon. But hopefully I'm wrong, and we can get it fixed. Typically what you see is what you continue to see in a Mullen team though. Not much adjusting throughout the season typically.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Do you seriously think we didn't have an offensive game plan? Come on man that isn't rational.

Don't take things so literally. I meant our gameplan was shit...so therefore we had none of any significance. Dan has coached football for a long time, and if he really thought we'd come out running the ball with that OL, he's an idiot. We should have come out with that big crowd, and aired it down the field like a 2 minute drill, getting our stud QB and stud receivers going. That would have put LSU on their heels AND potentially helped our run game get some room to work. Dan has watched this team all summer and still had to ram Shump into a brick wall for 3 quarters before he realized his RB and his OL aren't going to magically start getting it done tonight.

To me that equals...no offensive gameplan.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 10:26 AM
In the past, we've run to set up the pass. We may have to reverse that this season in order to have any balance. Pass early, back the D out of the box, then run it.

defiantdog
09-13-2015, 10:28 AM

We simply don't have the talent to pull off big wins with sloppy play and missed opportunities. A pass heavy team is going to have their way with us. LSU won that game with only 14 pass attempts. Wait till a balanced team comes in and picks apart our defense. We don't have the playmakers outside of our DL, B. Brown, Redmond, and Calhoun. Our safeties are a liability. We're going to have to outscore teams to win this year. And we're not going to do that passing the ball 50 times and running the same 10 plays over and over.

defiantdog
09-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Don't take things so literally. I meant our gameplan was shit...so therefore we had none of any significance. Dan has coached football for a long time, and if he really thought we'd come out running the ball with that OL, he's an idiot. We should have come out with that big crowd, and aired it down the field like a 2 minute drill, getting our stud QB and stud receivers going. That would have put LSU on their heels AND potentially helped our run game get some room to work. Dan has watched this team all summer and still had to ram Shump into a brick wall for 3 quarters before he realized his RB and his OL aren't going to magically start getting it done tonight.

We were able to pass the ball on LSU only when they got tired because their offense kept going 3 and out. In the beginning of the game, they were covering our receivers like glue. Dak had no where to go with the ball. I don't think coming out passing is our most viable option. We need to find someone who can average 5 yards per carry or else we're in trouble.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2015, 10:32 AM
In the past, we've run to set up the pass. We may have to reverse that this season in order to have any balance. Pass early, back the D out of the box, then run it.

I think we'll find a way to run the ball. The offensive line did a much better job in the 2nd half and there were holes, but we didn't have time to run the ball.

My guess is that we have a good running back on the roster, but we don't know who it is. We desperately need to find that guy this week.

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2015, 10:33 AM
I guess you are right. Coming out with a plan that was pretty much the exact opposite of what our system is, one that carved up the same team last year, would be what every coach in America would have done to start that game. Dan is just a dunce.*******

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 10:56 AM
I guess you are right. Coming out with a plan that was pretty much the exact opposite of what our system is, one that carved up the same team last year, would be what every coach in America would have done to start that game. Dan is just a dunce.*******

Are you illiterate? I said, "based on Dan knowing what our talent was/wasn't capable of based on the offseason". As in, he knew we didn't have a good OL and he knew our RB situation wasn't good. And if he didn't know that this group was worse than Day, Beckwith, Clausell, and JRob...then yea, maybe he is. He sees these guys every single day, so he should have known A. We aren't as good at OL & RB this year, and B. LSU is going to focus on shutting our ground game down out of the gates.....And ONE opening drive of passing to throw their D off, COULD have opened our running game AND gotten us a lead to get them out of their run, run, run offense.

Quit trying to be a thread hijacking smartass, and read what I said.

NCDawg
09-13-2015, 11:06 AM

I agree. Our OL does a mediocre job of pass blocking but are terrible run blockers. I don't understand Dan calling two straight running plays up the middle when we had a first down on LSU's 10 yard line. Strange Dan couldn't see we had almost no chance of running the ball through the LSU DL.

Dawgface
09-13-2015, 11:17 AM
I agree. Our OL does a mediocre job of pass blocking but are terrible run blockers. I don't understand Dan calling two straight running plays up the middle when we had a first down on LSU's 10 yard line. Strange Dan couldn't see we had almost no chance of running the ball through the LSU DL.

So true. Everyone in the stadium knew that was stupid. Only the hc didn't. That's one reason I'm negative on seeing much improvement or changes coming. Dan is either stubborn or blind to some things.

scottycameron
09-13-2015, 11:17 AM
I think the loss of Robinson was a lot bigger deal that I thought it was. I was thinking more we could plug and play. Dak needs to run a lot more, we need to look like the Tebow offense. But the problem may be the OL. It may not allow for it to be very effective.
Either way the OL needs to get better and gel pronto. I think we're ok then.

SignalToNoise
09-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Cadaver, I want to discuss points 1-4.

Specifically, in point 2 you say that Dan has taken away Dak's legs. When you consider 1) LSU's run D stuffing our ass, 3) No real option at RB, 4) Our bad OL, how do you expect Dak to run?

All I'm saying is that maybe Dan is taking Dak's legs away because its our only way to move the ball effectively right now.

Clanga
09-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Are you illiterate? I said, "based on Dan knowing what our talent was/wasn't capable of based on the offseason". As in, he knew we didn't have a good OL and he knew our RB situation wasn't good. And if he didn't know that this group was worse than Day, Beckwith, Clausell, and JRob...then yea, maybe he is. He sees these guys every single day, so he should have known A. We aren't as good at OL & RB this year, and B. LSU is going to focus on shutting our ground game down out of the gates.....And ONE opening drive of passing to throw their D off, COULD have opened our running game AND gotten us a lead to get them out of their run, run, run offense.

Mullen is.....how shall we say it... {{{HARDHEADED}}}

RC3
09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm afraid that we are only going to have success with Dak running the ball when he is rolling out. He's not going to be able to run between the tackles this year

msstate7
09-13-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm afraid that we are only going to have success with Dak running the ball when he is rolling out. He's not going to be able to run between the tackles this year

Unfortunately we don't do that anymore. Dak should have at least 5 roll out run-pass options a game

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Specifically, in point 2 you say that Dan has taken away Dak's legs. When you consider 1) LSU's run D stuffing our ass, 3) No real option at RB, 4) Our bad OL, how do you expect Dak to run?

All I'm saying is that maybe Dan is taking Dak's legs away because its our only way to move the ball effectively right now.

Fair points, but let me clarify. He has taken away his ability to scramble on pass plays, and has quit allowing him to truly "read" on the read option. In other words, his read option plays appear to be predetermined handoffs now. Last night he fed Shump to the wolves multiple times when he could have kept it for positive yardage. I fail to believe Dak suddenly forgot how to read that play after 10 years of running it. I think Dan told him to hand it off, and we know (in interviews) Dan told Dak all offseason to go through all of his progressions, and be less quick to take off. That is not Dak's strength, and has all but taken away his run threat. That has nothing to do with OL. We didn't even try. If it was OL based decisions, then why did we keep running Shump for 1 yard at a time up the middle? We didn't even try to make Dak a threat on the ground, except for 3rd and 4-7 yds, which hasn't worked since A&M last year.

Does that make sense as to what I'm getting at? May still disagree, and if so that's fine. But I don't think we even knew if the OL couldn't allow Dak to run, Bc we didn't let him try except for straight ahead draws a few times.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately we don't do that anymore. Dak should have at least 5 roll out run-pass options a game

Yep. RC3 is right, but Mullen has taken Dak's legs from him, so we won't see scrambles it appears.

cheewgumm
09-13-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm less worried this am. We have a good passing attack. We need to find some rushing yards.

If I were Mullen if tell Dak if it breaks down to run, get yards, the get out of bounds or slide. Him running doesn't mean he has to take as much punishment as last year, but he has to be a threat to run when it breaks down or we will lose a lot this year.

msstate7
09-13-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm less worried this am. We have a good passing attack. We need to find some rushing yards.

If I were Mullen if tell Dak if it breaks down to run, get yards, the get out of bounds or slide. Him running doesn't mean he has to take as much punishment as last year, but he has to be a threat to run when it breaks down or we will lose a lot this year.

Dak takes more punishment on designed runs than scrambles. This is what's so confusing to me. Dak has to use his legs

Sacrifice
09-13-2015, 11:55 AM
If Dan doesn't make a change at RB, I'm gonna lose my mind! Holloway has proven a back with some moves can be productive, he's averaging 7 YPC. How in the Hell Lee isn't getting ANY carries is blowing my mind. No way he doesn't know the playbook. He's been here for a year. And just think, Shump will be back next year.

cheewgumm
09-13-2015, 11:58 AM
I don't think Shunp is bad. He's actually good but we need to see Lee and Williams too to see if they can add a dimension. I'm sure we will on Saturday.

msstate7
09-13-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't think Shunp is bad. He's actually good but we need to see Lee and Williams too to see if they can add a dimension. I'm sure we will on Saturday.

Want to see dear get some carries too.

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2015, 12:07 PM

That reply WAS to what you said. The same reply suffices for this post.

defiantdog
09-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Williams does not look like he's anywhere near SEC speed whenever he touches the ball. But Williams and Lee both have similar running styles to Shump. We don't need that big long legged running back all the time. We need someone who can make short breaks and gain 5 - 7 yards. It would be nice to have a Chubb or Fournette, but we don't.

BulldogBear
09-13-2015, 02:17 PM

You could be right on called runs, but Dak CLEARLY is unwilling to scramble and run the ball. Either that or is being OVERCOACHED to stand in there too long. Check 1, 2, maybe 3- occasionally 4, then RTGDF!!!!!!!

msstate7
09-13-2015, 02:34 PM
It would be nice to have a Chubb or Fournette, but we don't.

I think everyone, but Georgia and lsu can say that. Those 2 are freaking good

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-13-2015, 03:19 PM

I miss that team. Last week versus USM I attributed it to first game, not showing too much but this week with a deafening crowd and tons of hype at home?no excuse to do this. They took the wind out of the sails at the very start and that 1st QTR is what lost us the game. PERIOD.

NCDawg
09-13-2015, 05:19 PM

This post makes a lot of sense to me. Amazing how we moved the ball so good in the 4th Qtr. Unfortunately, we ran out of time.