PDA

View Full Version : After 2 games, what is our identity?

confucius say
09-13-2015, 12:58 AM
On offense? I feel like the big picture problem is we have gone from a physical, downhill team to a pass first, finesse team. Not good. Don't like the mentality.

Smitty
09-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Pull out the 2012 film if you want to see the rest of this season

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Our identity is Dak & our receivers.

I think our offensive line is coming along, but we don't have a running back.

If we find a running back, this team has a chance to be pretty good, but, until then, we will be one dimensional.

msstate7
09-13-2015, 01:02 AM
Id be getting lee and Williams some carries this week. If they aren't looking like the answer, give dear and Gibson some carries

confucius say
09-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Our identity is Dak & our receivers.

I think our offensive line is coming along, but we don't have a running back.

If we find a running back, this team has a chance to be pretty good, but, until then, we will be one dimensional.

Truth. So what do we do rb wise? Pull gibsons redshirt? Lee? Dear? I don't think Aries is ready.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 01:09 AM
On offense? I feel like the big picture problem is we have gone from a physical, downhill team to a pass first, finesse team. Not good. Don't like the mentality.

You answered it. We have lost our identity. A Mullen offense cannot work withoout a run game and a running QB. We saw it fail with Russell as a statue, and we're seeing it again now. Dan has castrated Dak by taking away his legs and telling him to check down reads instead of taking off running. We will not go bowling if Dak continues to be a pocket passer. We just can't keep doing what won us 10 games last year and have a record breaking offense. Nope, gotta get cute and change it up. =Fail

IMissJack
09-13-2015, 01:11 AM
Truth. So what do we do rb wise? Pull gibsons redshirt? Lee? Dear? I don't think Aries is ready.

Holloway averaged over 7 a carry, and was the only player that looked speedy and exciting with the ball.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 01:12 AM

You gotta give Aeris and Lee a shot....but I'm starting to think we have 3 clones in Shump, Lee, and Williams. 3 bruisers with no juke or big play ability. Because if Lee and Williams can't steal a carry or two in this abysmal run game through 2 games...they clearly aren't very good. And if they are, Mullen learned nothing from Perkins/JRob. I think Gibson and Dear are our next best options at a good combo back of speed, cutting ability, and power....so might as well get em in there. We aren't playing for next year yet, so give Dak whatever weapons he needs to win now. If that means burning redshirts, burn em. Got any OL we can burn? Burn em yesterday.

confucius say
09-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Holloway averaged over 7 a carry, and was the only player that looked speedy and exciting with the ball. z

Good point. Just not sure he can be a 20 carry a game guy

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Holloway averaged over 7 a carry, and was the only player that looked speedy and exciting with the ball. z

Scary. That's when you know MSU has lost their identity.

blacklistedbully
09-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Dak was getting stuffed all night. Beckwith was mirroring him the entire time, and came after Dak every time he looked like he was gonna run. We didn't get back into the game until we started passing almost exclusively, and the only reason it didn't ultimately work is because Shump couldn't hold onto that 2-point conversion and Bell couldn't hit a FG to save his life.

Smitty
Our identity is a glass house. Our opponents are rocks.

ShotgunDawg
Holloway is fine AS A SITUATIONAL GUY. I like Holloway, he has a role, he can be dynamic but he is not an every down back. He is a situational guy.

confucius say
You gotta give Aeris and Lee a shot....but I'm starting to think we have 3 clones in Shump, Lee, and Williams. 3 bruisers with no juke or big play ability. Because if Lee and Williams can't steal a carry or two in this abysmal run game through 2 games...they clearly aren't very good. And if they are, Mullen learned nothing from Perkins/JRob. I think Gibson and Dear are our next best options at a good combo back of speed, cutting ability, and power....so might as well get em in there. We aren't playing for next year yet, so give Dak whatever weapons he needs to win now. If that means burning redshirts, burn em. Got any OL we can burn? Burn em yesterday.

I'd get Jenkins and Calhoun some reps. Senior struggled with basic stunts tonight. Not physically as much as mentally.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2015, 01:17 AM
I'd get Jenkins and Calhoun some reps. Senior struggled with basic stunts tonight. Not physically as much as mentally.

I agree. If those youngsters are showing good signs....get their asses in the game against NW State and tell em they're playing for a chance to start vs Auburn

IMissJack
09-13-2015, 01:19 AM
Good point. Just not sure he can be a 20 carry a game guy

I'll be honest, I thought when 98 and 88 were out on d, the dropoff was very noticable. We just dont have enough game changers on this team. And when your biggest game changer from last year is not a running threat, it is bad for us. Dak complementef j rob, but not tonight.

Schultzy
09-13-2015, 02:36 AM
Delay of game is our identity.

Eta: Dak put us in position to win the game and we screwed it up.

Maroonthirteen
09-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Dak was getting stuffed all night. Beckwith was mirroring him the entire time, and came after Dak every time he looked like he was gonna run. We didn't get back into the game until we started passing almost exclusively, and the only reason it didn't ultimately work is because Shump couldn't hold onto that 2-point conversion and Bell couldn't hit a FG to save his life.

On point.... Dan and Heavsey have seen something in fall camp regarding the OL or/and RBs that convinced them that we need to throw the ball.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy with Dak not running the read option. However Mullen has took a perennial losing program and built it up to where fans expect to beat LSU. He almost.did last night with significantly less talent. If we throw throw and throw...people need to trust Dan knows that's what's Best.