PDA

View Full Version : OK St picked to win the Big 12

FlabLoser
07-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Many people have posted that OSU would have a down year, which helps our chance to beat them. So how about OSU being picked to win the Big 12?

Was this a media poll that is just as flawed as the SEC media preseason poll? Is the Big 12 that bad? Is OSU that good?

bulldawg28
07-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Doesn't matter we're going for the jugular.

FISHDAWG
07-19-2013, 08:16 AM
I've seen so much speculation from sports writers that I'm convinced UGA will beat Bama in the SEC-CG ... Bo Wallace will win the Hiesman ... HC James Franklin will run for president ... and Steve Spurrier will move to the Vatican ........ I can't wait for the bell to ring - and yes, I think they will be a good team but I have to hang my hat on Oklahoma in the B-12

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Some of their fans are expecting to be in the running for a national championship. An undefeated season. There's very little talk of us on their boards.

FISHDAWG
07-19-2013, 08:18 AM
got a link ?

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 08:22 AM
got a link ?

Sure.

Scout forum (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336)

OrangePower (http://www.orangepower.com/forums/osu-sports-forum.4/)

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
This will be great pub when we beat them. Be sure to bookmark those predictions to bring out September 1st. I was listening to Carskadon this morning - he said all 1,200 media in Hoover were eligible to vote but only 200 did, because most just don't care. The only MSU media to vote was Stevens - no surprise. These rankings are a joke, but definitely gives our team some incentive and will certainly give us something to crow about if we win.

PMDawg
07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
the prevalent thought on the Big12 this year is that there are no really standout teams to pick to run over the league. The belief is that there are 5-6 very good teams that can compete for the B12 championship, but no great teams that should be an overwhelming favorite. OSU, OU, TCU, Texas....all very solid teams, none stand out.

FISHDAWG
07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
thanks ... registering with Scout was easy ..... to register with OrangePower you need to know some OSU history (to prevent trolls I guess ) ... but you are correct about no MSU talk - they (fans) appear to be looking right past us .... our national perception remains constant

Coach34
07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Many people have posted that OSU would have a down year, which helps our chance to beat them. So how about OSU being picked to win the Big 12?

Was this a media poll that is just as flawed as the SEC media preseason poll? Is the Big 12 that bad? Is OSU that good?

Texas had a better record than them last year, beat them last year in Stillwater, plays them at home this year, and returns 19 starters from a 9-4 team- I'm going to go with Texas winning the Big 12 over Ok State

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Their fans may be overlooking us, but I think Mike Gundy is having some restless nights. I not sure that he really knows what he's up against, but I think he has a sneaking suspicion that we're better than we look on paper.

messageboardsuperhero
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM
One of their topics on their forums linked me to this: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/what-college-football-program-closest-it-first-title

Someone needs to remind Athlon that UM was awarded a few national titles before integration by the Batesville Garden Club. Reporting facts that don't fit the Oxford spin is totally unacceptable.

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Ha!

Hilarious.

Coach34
07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
One of their topics on their forums linked me to this: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/what-college-football-program-closest-it-first-title

Someone needs to remind Athlon that UM was awarded a few national titles before integration by the Batesville Garden Club. Reporting facts that don't fit the Oxford spin is totally unacceptable.

How they are even mentioned there is amazing to me. We are 24-15 the last 3 years including 8-5 last year, they are 12-25 the last 3 years- including 4-20 in the SEC and they get mentioned? Seriously?

HancockCountyDog
07-19-2013, 10:07 AM

I can already predict what the announcers will be saying when we come back from commercial break in the 2nd quarter:

"Well, I know we talked a lot about OSU in the pre-game, but what we didn't talk about was the team speed of MSU and right now OSU simply can't keep up with the overall team speed of MSU and right now OSU realizes that it is in a fight"

PMDawg
07-19-2013, 10:17 AM
How they are even mentioned there is amazing to me. We are 24-15 the last 3 years including 8-5 last year, they are 12-25 the last 3 years- including 4-20 in the SEC and they get mentioned? Seriously?

Wow. What a farce. ONE ****ing good recruiting class. ONE. the national media has gone retarded over Ole Miss. Why? Why do they want them to be good so badly? It took me one visit to that shitty school to decide that I would never want to spend a week there, much less 4 years. I can't get over the fact that this is all based on a 6-6 season and one good class. The media runs us down after our 3 year run and licks their balls after a 6-6 season. Freezus is like David Koresh to get so many believers in one year. Maybe if we go 6-6 this year, we will become the next media darling.

PMDawg
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Wow. What a farce. ONE ****ing good recruiting class. ONE. the national media has gone retarded over Ole Miss. Why? Why do they want them to be good so badly? It took me one visit to that shitty school to decide that I would never want to spend a week there, much less 4 years. I can't get over the fact that this is all based on a 6-6 season and one good class. The media runs us down after our 3 year run and licks their balls after a 6-6 season. Freezus is like David Koresh to get so many believers in one year. Maybe if we go 6-6 this year, we will become the next media darling.

And let's not forget that they were a 4-8 team if Auburn and Arkansas didnt both field their worst team in a decade.

messageboardsuperhero
07-19-2013, 10:26 AM

It blows my mind too. The hype machine is strong as always in Oxford. UM goes from winning a combined one SEC game in two years to suddenly going 6-6 and now "journalists" are saying they are a year or two away from competing for the National Title, and their fans are just eating that shit up... Looking at that just seems silly. Perception is weird thing, but I wonder when everyone is going to wake up and say: "Okay, maybe that whole UM buildup was a bit ridiculous."

SignalToNoise
07-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Suppose we win that game, and Ok St. manages to also win the Big 12. How will the Rebel spin machine handle that?

"The Big 12 is a shitty conference."
"Big 12 opponents don't count."
"Any SEC team could beat them."

Hell, some of our own fans might say some of those things.

messageboardsuperhero
07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
And let's not forget that they were a 4-8 team if Auburn and Arkansas didnt both field their worst team in a decade.

That's what I've been thinking too... Hell, maybe even 3-9. They would have had nothing to play for in the Egg Bowl.

Give Mullen '09 the schedule Freeze had last year, and he would have gone 7-5 instead of 5-7 based solely on the Arkansas and Auburn games.

PMDawg
07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Suppose we win that game, and Ok St. manages to also win the Big 12. How will the Rebel spin machine handle that?

"The Big 12 is a shitty conference."
"Big 12 opponents don't count."
"Any SEC team could beat them."

Hell, some of our own fans might say some of those things.

I can't get that far ahead. I know we have enough talent to win that game, but they will be damn good. We have heard that we will see significant changes this year on offense and particularly defense. But if its the same as what we did last year, there's a good chance they A&M us. This should be a bad defense. If we don't put up 30 or more, it's going to be a bad sign.

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 10:37 AM
They are definitely going to be very good. I'm not worried about us scoring points though. I think we're going to score. The question is can we stop them enough to give ourselves a chance to win.

Coach34
07-19-2013, 10:40 AM
They are definitely going to be very good. I'm not worried about us scoring points though. I think we're going to score. The question is can we stop them enough to give ourselves a chance to win.

It will depend on the play of our defensive front

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Exactly.

engie
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Oklahoma St will finish no better than 3rd in the big 12 IMO. TCU will be the class of that conference IMO. They were one of the youngest teams in all of FBS last year -- and were still the best Big12 defense of the past handful of years. They started a TON of freshmen and sophs last year that were good players by the end of the season, and I expect them to be stout this year given how good of development coach Patterson has proven to be over the years. LSU better not be sleeping on them in week 1...

FlabLoser
07-19-2013, 11:52 AM
It would be mega sweet if Okie State is ranked in the top 10 when we play them. We'd get a hell of a lot of mileage over having beaten a top 10 team.

PMDawg
07-19-2013, 12:58 PM
It would be mega sweet if Okie State is ranked in the top 10 when we play them. We'd get a hell of a lot of mileage over having beaten a top 10 team.

With our luck, they would be top 10 when we beat them and then spiral to a 4-8 season on the back of injuries, scandals, and acts of God and/or Nature. Haha. We would beat a legit top 10 team only to have viewed as a win over a team in shambles or some other media BS.