PDA

View Full Version : I know it is very early but dayumm!!

MabenMaroon
09-10-2015, 06:24 PM
I hope this is like our pre-season football a tad bit under rated

http://www.hailstate.com//ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=10995&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210331315

Thrill1
09-10-2015, 06:51 PM
This is outstanding news .... But they've got to do away with this gender neutral crap. We've dropped Lady Bulldogs (as have many other schools) and in many cases, like this story, the term "women's basketball" is never referenced. Heck, if you didn't know who Schaeffer was, you honestly wouldn't have a clue until reading the players' names or seeing the photo. What our society doesn't understand is that it's perfectly ok for men and women to be different. I just hate that it's crept into athletics so much, and now onto our campus.

Liverpooldawg
09-10-2015, 06:53 PM
I thought the same thing. It took me a minute to realize that the article I saw was about the women. I couldn't for the life of me see how Howland had made THAT much difference already.

gravedigger
09-10-2015, 07:09 PM
This is outstanding news .... But they've got to do away with this gender neutral crap. We've dropped Lady Bulldogs (as have many other schools) and in many cases, like this story, the term "women's basketball" is never referenced. Heck, if you didn't know who Schaeffer was, you honestly wouldn't have a clue until reading the players' names or seeing the photo. What our society doesn't understand is that it's perfectly ok for men and women to be different. I just hate that it's crept into athletics so much, and now onto our campus.

Of course, besides ignoring the photo of a womens bb team at the top, youd also have to be ignorant of the 1st words '"coming off a historic 2014-15 season".

Jeeze. Who is supposed to be confused in your scenario?

Eta: what our society doesnt understand is why so many people look so hard to be slighted by using bogus accusations of political correctness.

Thrill1
09-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Of course, besides ignoring the photo of a womens bb team at the top, youd also have to be ignorant of the 1st words '"coming off a historic 2014-15 season".

Jeeze. Who is supposed to be confused in your scenario?

Eta: what our society doesnt understand is why so many people look so hard to be slighted by using bogus accusations of political correctness.

As someone who used to write these press releases on a daily basis and actually knows what AP Style is, you treat each release as if the audience knows nothing about your program. When this shows up in the paper tomorrow, it may or may not have a photo with it, which, coupled with the "Hail State Hoops..." headline creates more confusion for the reader.

Again, it's not sexist to separate programs linguistically, and yes, this is a prime example of political correctness.

dickiedawg
09-10-2015, 09:21 PM
"Hail State Hoops" is how the wbk team has chosen to market itself.

Liverpooldawg
09-10-2015, 09:24 PM
The article I saw had no picture. I had no clue that it was the women until I read the fist player name....well down in the article. I'm no journalist but my wife graduated in it and works in marketing now. I've heard enough from her about AP style to know that it's written to allow picking and choosing sentences like bullet points. The article I read as published gave you no clue which team you were talking about unless you knew names or history.