PDA

View Full Version : Upon further review...Shump's 2 runs OB look more like field conditions than Shump

blacklistedbully
09-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Looked again, and in both cases, I'm convinced on a grass field, or less slick AT, his cuts would have been effective.

If you check out how far his cut foot slides, it's easy to see it was due to the turf being slippery. There were also plenty of other examples of how slick the field was.

For my part, I'm not gonna worry about Shump until I see how he does this week.

LC Dawg
09-10-2015, 04:17 PM
I agree. In both those cases he lost his balance because his foot slid. That made me feel better about it after rewatching the game.
We seemed to have more issues with the turf than the Southern players did.

msstate7
09-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Shump's last 4 games (vandy, OM, GT, and USM)...

26 rushes 199 yards 1 td (7.7 carry)
6 catches 41 yards (6.8 reception)

Best blocking rb, which is huge bc we don't need Dak getting hit more than what's required.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate shump

HoopsDawg
09-10-2015, 04:31 PM
There is no bigger over-reaction on this board than everyone's feelings about Shump. He is clearly ahead of both Williams and Lee. It's really not that close. He does need to do better on the swing passes, if he doesn't Aeris is really good catching the ball out of the backfield, and he has to protect the football. Like I have been saying since the game, everyone needs to give him at least 1 more week to show what he can do. And Dak has to make the proper reads on the read option. USM figured out Dak was running in the first half so they keyed on Shump.

FISHDAWG
09-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Shump's last 4 games (vandy, OM, GT, and USM)...

26 rushes 199 yards 1 td (7.7 carry)
6 catches 41 yards (6.8 reception)

Best blocking rb, which is huge bc we don't need Dak getting hit more than what's required.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate shump

not hating on him ... just questioning if he's the right guy ... and hoping it's not a Shumpert / Holloway tandem while we have bigger backs to play the tandem role ... no one here hates a bulldog, most of ushere are just a bunch of armchair coaches

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 05:11 PM
The thing about Shumpert to remember is we essentially lost two possessions due to special teams mistakes. That certainly cost him and everyone else on our team some yards.

Had we had those two possessions back, he finishes with at least 50-75 yards rushing and would have had well over 100 yards all-purpose.

I'm fine with Shumpert being the feature back- but I do want to see more Lee and Williams because I think it would make us that much better as an offense. And I would like to see Holloway carry the ball less- and really probably no more than 2-3 times a game.

dawg27
09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
So after one game 80% of this board is like shump is not the answer. One game i think shump is going to be ok, lets not throw him under the bus just yet.

MetEdDawg
09-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Surely not. I said that Saturday and this board went ape shit and said I shouldn't make excuses for a shitty team that won't win another game because that was the worst team we will play all year. Couldn't possibly be the field conditions. It had to be that we sucked

RougeDawg
09-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Surely not. I said that Saturday and this board went ape shit and said I shouldn't make excuses for a shitty team that won't win another game because that was the worst team we will play all year. Couldn't possibly be the field conditions. It had to be that we sucked

They were all speaking before their Midol kicked into action.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Piss on this field conditions bullshit. Either you're an SEC caliber player capable of making the plays or you aren't. All this "the turf was slick" shit is an excuse. Well, excuses suck.

We've had 2 years to see Shump isn't a natural RB. He lacks vision and burst through the hole. Sure, he can truck some guys. But if the hole isn't large enough to drive a Mack truck through, the odds of him finding it aren't too great. The scouting report on Derrick Henry someone posted here a day or two ago could've been written about Shump. The only difference is Shump is probably more physical than Henry based on what we've seen of them so far. Can he be productive? Maybe. And as C34 has said, he does all the little things well. But the main job of a RB is toting the rock, and when it comes to that, Shump isn't quite there. Hope like hell I'm wrong, though, because it looks like we're stuck with him.

Dawg61
09-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Piss on this field conditions bullshit. Either you're an SEC caliber player capable of making the plays or you aren't. All this "the turf was slick" shit is an excuse. Well, excuses suck.

We've had 2 years to see Shump isn't a natural RB. He lacks vision and burst through the hole. Sure, he can truck some guys. But if the hole isn't large enough to drive a Mack truck through, the odds of him finding it aren't too great. The scouting report on Eddie Lacey someone posted here a day or two ago could've been written about Shump. The only difference is Shump is probably more physical than Lacey based on what we've seen of them so far. Can he be productive? Maybe. And as C34 has said, he does all the little things well. But the main job of a RB is toting the rock, and when it comes to that, Shump isn't quite there. Hope like hell I'm wrong, though, because it looks like we're stuck with him.

Eddie Lacy is rated the 2nd best RB in the NFL right now. I hope Shump runs half as well as Lacy.

Dawg61
09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Shump at #1 doesn't worry me. Dear over Lee/Williams does. No offense to Dear but I want to see Lee. A whole bunch of Lee.

msstate7
09-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Eddie Lacy is rated the 2nd best RB in the NFL right now. I hope Shump runs half as well as Lacy.

Pretty sure he meant Derrick Henry

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure he meant Derrick Henry

Yeah, my bad. Had a brain fart.

bulldawg28
09-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah, my bad. Had a brain fart.

That entire post was farting throughout.

Coach34
09-10-2015, 09:57 PM
There's no excuse for Lee and Williams getting one ****ing carry in Hattiesburg. None. End of story

Where'sWaldo
09-10-2015, 10:27 PM
There's no excuse for Lee and Williams getting one ****ing carry in Hattiesburg. None. End of story

This! Shump could(God I hope not) be our best back but I want that to be proven on the field. We may very well lose this game because Mullen can't see past working hard and knowing the playbook. It handicaps our offense when we can't run the ball from the RB position and I guarantee you my plan if I was LSU would be to let Shump take the handoff and swarm Dak. With J Rob that was a lot more difficult to do.

mparkerfd20
09-11-2015, 08:54 AM
nm

lachepas565
09-11-2015, 09:07 AM
One factor in his production at USM - I think there was a clear game plan to not let Dak run - especially in the 1H. USM figured that out and keyed on the RB which hurt production. When an option leaves a man unblocked - and that guy guesses right on who is getting the ball, it's tough to get much started. That will change in a game where there is some concern about the opposition.

Johnson85
09-11-2015, 10:45 AM
So after one game 80% of this board is like shump is not the answer. One game i think shump is going to be ok, lets not throw him under the bus just yet.

I don't think that many people feel like Shump is not the answer. It's just he looked terrible against USM and then you combine that with Holloway being our only other back with more than one carry going into the LSU game, and people are going to be a little concerned.

shoeless joe
09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
A lot of this still comes from folks giving up on shump because he wasmt a studd all SEC running back as a true sophomore...and now is just their chance to say "see I told you so!!"