PDA

View Full Version : John Bond

Percho
09-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Would he have been a great QB in our present read option system?

Jack Lambert
09-10-2015, 01:10 PM
NO. Different era of football.

Dallas_Dawg
09-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I would say hell yes. Why not? Is he not like a Nicky Fitz?

Johnson85
09-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I would say hell yes. Why not? Is he not like a Nicky Fitz?

I'm sure his style would be fine, I guess the question would be is his athleticism good enough and is he durable enough looking at how much bigger and faster the game has gotten. I have no clue; not sure I've ever even seen clips of him.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Absolutely. Chris Relf did pretty freaking good, and Bond was a better QB than Relf. Keep in mind, Bond held an SEC record for most career rushing yards by a QB until Matt Jones of Arky broke it in 2004. Bond is still one of only 3 QB's in the history of the SEC to rush fro more than 2,000 yards.

His passing numbers weren't great, but then he did play in a Triple-option, and didn't have a QB coach the quality of a Dan Mullen. He did have a strong arm, though. Imagine if he were not only in our current offense, but also being coached by Mullen.

I think he'd be great, no doubt.

FISHDAWG
09-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Absolutely. Chris Relf did pretty freaking good, and Bond was a better QB than Relf. Keep in mind, Bond held an SEC record for most career rushing yards by a QB until Matt Jones of Arky broke it in 2004. Bond is still one of only 3 QB's in the history of the SEC to rush fro more than 2,000 yards.

His passing numbers weren't great, but then he did play in a Triple-option, and didn't have a QB coach the quality of a Dan Mullen. He did have a strong arm, though. Imagine if he were not only in our current offense, but also being coached by Mullen.

I think he'd be great, no doubt.

^^^^ this ^^^^ I would take another John Bond any day of the week

Martianlander
09-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Yes-he would be durable enough. He was a big strong guy.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes-he would be durable enough. He was a big strong guy.

Hell yes! Throwback, hard-drinkin', hard-playin', tough SOB and a winner. He took a terrible pounding in our offense, and had trouble walking by the time he was done at State. I wonder what his stats would have been under a system where he didn't have to take a brutal hit almost every play, had a Dan Mullen to help him work on his passing skills, etc, and had the targets we've had lately.

Liverpooldawg
09-10-2015, 02:36 PM
His passing................the less said the better.

tcdog70
09-10-2015, 02:40 PM
John was a Stud and would be a Stud today. He could throw 70 yards and Had good speed. He got hit plenty and was a tough son of a gun. there was plenty of players on Bond's team that could play in any era.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I am not trying to argue or bring Bond down. He was great but watch this 1981 Auburn game. It was different football back then. You had 250 O-Lineman, 195 pound D-lineman. I just don't know if he could take the pounding or handle the speed. Hell today you have 300 pound D-line running like 1980 full backs.

One thing for sure I would love to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi5a1r6i1E

dotcomdawg
09-10-2015, 03:16 PM

The only quarterback in the history of the NCAA to beat LSU four times in a row

smootness
09-10-2015, 03:23 PM

I kind of doubt it. When Mullen showed up, he was already in his late 40s. I just don't see it.

Percho
09-10-2015, 04:01 PM
I can remember him keeping the ball and then pitching it 6 to 11 yards down field. At least I think I can remember that.

tcdog70
09-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I am not trying to argue or bring Bond down. He was great but watch this 1981 Auburn game. It was different football back then. You had 250 O-Lineman, 195 pound D-lineman. I just don't know if he could take the pounding or handle the speed. Hell today you have 300 pound D-line running like 1980 full backs.

the question is could the 300 lb OL play back then? You could not hold back then. No hands on offense. You don't think Kent Hull, Johnnie Cooks, Tyrone Keys,Billy Jackson, Glen Young, or Greg Williams could play today?

Martianlander
09-11-2015, 08:14 AM
I can remember him keeping the ball and then pitching it 6 to 11 yards down field. At least I think I can remember that.

Yes-he did that.

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
09-11-2015, 08:20 AM

That was my senior year in high school and me, my Dad and a friend of his left Tupelo early that morning to go to Auburn. Hell of a game. Unbelievable atmosphere. After the game, we stuck around for a while while Pop and Russell (the friend) drank whiskey and celebrated. We eventually made it back to Tupelo after midnight...exhausted but very happy. John Bond was a winner...period. He would've been successful in any era of college football.

Jack Lambert
09-11-2015, 08:50 AM
the question is could the 300 lb OL play back then? You could not hold back then. No hands on offense. You don't think Kent Hull, Johnnie Cooks, Tyrone Keys,Billy Jackson, Glen Young, or Greg Williams could play today?

I don't think there was a SEC O-Lineman in 1981 that could have blocked Chris Jones as he stands today. Hell two of them might not have been able to. I am getting out of this discussion because I don't want to seem like I am bashing MSU greats.

Spiderman
09-11-2015, 09:06 AM
NO. Different era of football.

You do realize Bond was 6-4 210 and was one of ,if not, the fastest on the team?

Bond would thrive in this modern day spread option

tcdog70
09-11-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't think there was a SEC O-Lineman in 1981 that could have blocked Chris Jones as he stands today. Hell two of them might not have been able to. I am getting out of this discussion because I don't want to seem like I am bashing MSU greats.

hey Jack, who could block Him today if they couldn't use their hands? Kent and Wayne both played Pro ball and they blocked 300 pounders everyday. And it was legal to double team.We had 2 Guys Keys and Collins on defense that might start today ahead of Chris Jones.i haven't seen Jones really stand out like his Hype says he should. Shit, Southern had some guys block Him Saturday.