PDA

View Full Version : Torrey Dale...

maroonmania
09-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Is he really our 4th DT? What the heck was going on with that last weekend? Was Cory Thomas suspended? Can't believe you wouldn't want to get him a few reps before LSU.

engie
09-10-2015, 01:03 PM
He's not.
I haven't heard what was going on.
No idea what's going on with Cory.

The biggest takeaway I had from game 1 was my fear of Mullen being Mullen on the stuff like this, shump+holloway over lee and Williams, no peters and mclaurin at s, etc...

I felt like to some extent the "answers" fell in his lap last year on these very issues. But am scared of a role reversal this year...

Also, get Jiles in that #3 corner spot. I'd been high on Cleveland, but it's obvious at this point that he doesn't have confidence for whatever reason. He played timid not to give up the big play against USM and most of those completions were directly on him for playing safe imo...

preachermatt83
09-10-2015, 01:09 PM
He's not.

The biggest takeaway I had from game 1 was my fear of Mullen being Mullen on the stuff like this, shump+holloway over lee and Williams, no peters and mclaurin at s, etc...

I felt like to some extent the "answers" fell in his lap last year on these very issues. But am scared of a role reversal this year...

Also, get Jiles in that #3 corner spot. I'd been high on Cleveland, but it's obvious at this point that he doesn't have confidence for whatever reason. He played timid not to give up the big play against USM and most of those completions were directly on him for playing safe imo...

Amen!

HoopsDawg
09-10-2015, 01:21 PM
He's not.

The coaches named Cleveland defensive player of the game. If you go back and watch the film, you will see that Cleveland played very well.

GreenheadDawg
09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
The coaches named Cleveland defensive player of the game. If you go back and watch the film, you will see that Cleveland played very well.

Oh good God. I've heard it all now. I hope him being named defensive player of the game was like a girl telling you it's not you it's me but we should see other people

engie
09-10-2015, 01:38 PM

I've rewatched it. If they liked his play, it explains our whole problem on defense. He showed a lot of promise early, but hasn't been the same since the missed tackle for td at UK last year. I'd taken up for him prior to that and even did after till this game. But he was playing soft and getting us shredded on his side. Go back and watch how much they threw at him compared to how much they threw at Redmond. It's self explanatory really. He certainly didn't blow any coverages or get beat deep, but he played far too safe(timid) giving up far too easy of receptions in my opinion...

Rayburn8
09-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Oh good God. I've heard it all now. I hope him being named defensive player of the game was like a girl telling you it's not you it's me but we should see other people

Nice job avoiding the whole re-watch the game thing. I don't know if he played well or not. But don't trash half a statement and disregard the other half.

GreenheadDawg
09-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Nice job avoiding the whole re-watch the game thing. I don't know if he played well or not. But don't trash half a statement and disregard the other half.

I've rewatched it twice. Nice try though

Coach34
09-10-2015, 01:53 PM
People are going to figure out eventually that Mullen is going to play older guys no matter what. You are going to have to be an early round draft pick to get on the field early for us ala Jones, Bear, McKinney, etc

DancingRabbit
09-10-2015, 01:53 PM
I've rewatched it. If they liked his play, it explains our whole problem on defense. He showed a lot of promise early, but hasn't been the same since the missed tackle for td at UK last year. I'd taken up for him prior to that and even did after till this game. But he was playing soft and getting us shredded on his side. Go back and watch how much they threw at him compared to how much they threw at Redmond. It's self explanatory really. He certainly didn't blow any coverages or get beat deep, but he played far too safe(timid) giving up far too easy of receptions in my opinion...

I'm sure he was told to play safe but that was ridiculous. He did tackle pretty well after he let them catch it for 10 yards.

I'm counting on Taveze being effective and Redmond getting an early pick to mess up Harris' head. Otherwise, it could be a long day.

Homedawg
09-10-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm sure he was told to play safe but that was ridiculous. He did tackle pretty well after he let them catch it for 10 yards.

I'm counting on Taveze being effective and Redmond getting an early pick to mess up Harris' head. Otherwise, it could be a long day.

people better understand that even when Calhoun comes back, that side is going to get picked on all year, due to the fact that Redmond is really good. Calhoun is a solid player and the second best we have but a shutdown corner, he isnt.

HoopsDawg
09-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Most of their yardage came over the middle of the field, not in Cleveland's zone. Our LB's didn't do a good job of getting enough depth and our safties were playing soft. They caught a TD on Cleveland's side but that was on Market and our LB. It's very tough for the average fan like you and GreenheadDawg to evaluate film.

thunderclap
09-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Threads like this always get me to thinking we are 17ed.

msugolf
09-10-2015, 02:23 PM
And I guarantee you that will be used against us in recruiting.

SilkyJohnson
09-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Most of their yardage came over the middle of the field, not in Cleveland's zone. Our LB's didn't do a good job of getting enough depth and our safties were playing soft. They caught a TD on Cleveland's side but that was on Market and our LB. It's very tough for the average fan like you and GreenheadDawg to evaluate film.

Which leads to another question, wtf was DeAndre Ward doing playing so much the other night? Is he on the 2 deep? I am concerned we had opportunities to play him but not Thomas & Hoyett.

dawgwood
09-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Is he really our 4th DT? What the heck was going on with that last weekend? Was Cory Thomas suspended? Can't believe you wouldn't want to get him a few reps before LSU.
Torrey Dale needs to be used for practice purposes only.

HoopsDawg
09-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Which leads to another question, wtf was DeAndre Ward doing playing so much the other night? Is he on the 2 deep? I am concerned we had opportunities to play him but not Thomas & Hoyett.

Exactly.

HoopsDawg
09-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Torrey Dale needs to be used for practice purposes only.

Dale did have a nice pass deflection, he is really long. The main concern I have with Dale playing is what does that mean about Thomas. I didn't expect much from Hoyette this year, but I thought Thomas would be a key player. The bottom line is, our staff went hard after 3 Juco's and missed on all 3.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2015, 02:40 PM
He's not.

Yep, my prediction last year of 10 wins minimum and 11 likely was based on the fact that Perkins' graduation would force Dan to use JRob more.

My confidence this year is tempered by the hope that Dan will not do the same thing with Holloway, in particular misusing him by repeatedly running him between-the-tackles for no gain.

Let's all hope like hell much of what disturbed us vs USM was first-game-jitters and a desire for the staff to get some game-time for some versus a weaker opponent At a minimum, let's hope Mullen uses Holloway more effectively than he did Perkins' senior year.

Coach34
09-10-2015, 03:00 PM
If Holloway gets very many carries vs LSU we won't have to worry about him because he will be hurt

preachermatt83
09-10-2015, 03:13 PM

I'd like to see a link to this. Until then I call bull crap

Dallas_Dawg
09-10-2015, 03:18 PM
If Mullen just plays the oldest players, then we are ****ed. That's complete bull shit.

smootness
09-10-2015, 03:19 PM

This.

The whole 'Ugh! Our coaches are too stupid to realize that X (who we haven't really seen anything of yet) is clearly a better option than Y' thing is getting old fast.

I'm not saying the coaches are infallible, but ours make the right decision 95% of the time. They have reasons for every decision they make. People were worried about us using Holloway too much last year as well, and he got 36 of his 45 carries against USM, UAB, South Alabama, UTM, and Vandy. The only other game he got more than 1 carry in was A&M, and he ran it 5 times for 76 yards and a TD in that game.

Our coaches aren't stupid. They're not going to send Holloway out there to carry it 10-15 times against LSU. The only time he's had more than one carry against a legit opponent, he tore it up. Perhaps this is because the coaches knew of a weakness Holloway could exploit? They don't have any more interest in getting stuffed at the LOS than we do.

smootness
09-10-2015, 03:20 PM
If Mullen just plays the oldest players, then we are ****ed. That's complete bull shit.

They hardly ever do this when it isn't justified. I'd like for somebody to give me 5 examples. Everybody points to Perkins vs. Robinson, but a) that's about the only real example, and b) perhaps there were reasons for it? Things Perkins did that we didn't see that much that Robinson couldn't do? Or perhaps Robinson just wasn't doing the things he needed to do until last year?

Sacrifice
09-10-2015, 03:23 PM
And I guarantee you that will be used against us in recruiting.
This concerns me too, especially with Cam Akers and Kylan Hill. I don't think either one of those guys will want to sit till there JR year to play.

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 03:32 PM
They hardly ever do this when it isn't justified. I'd like for somebody to give me 5 examples. Everybody points to Perkins vs. Robinson, but a) that's about the only real example, and b) perhaps there were reasons for it? Things Perkins did that we didn't see that much that Robinson couldn't do? Or perhaps Robinson just wasn't doing the things he needed to do until last year?

And it wasn't like Perkins hadn't just come off a 1,000 yard season averaging 5 ypc. And he ran up the middle his Jr as well. People act liked Perkins was a 300 yard back going into his Sr year. Which he played at less than 100%. I like Robinson as a person and he is talented. But I wish he had played with more Perkins attitude. He probably doesn't fade away at the end of last year. And maybe that's why he didn't play more. If he became the guy during Perkins Sr year would he have been as effective last year? Never know and it could have went either way.

Homedawg
09-10-2015, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see a link to this. Until then I call bull crap

Might won't to take that back- because hoops dawg is correct on this one.

Homedawg
09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
This.

The whole 'Ugh! Our coaches are too stupid to realize that X (who we haven't really seen anything of yet) is clearly a better option than Y' thing is getting old fast.

I'm not saying the coaches are infallible, but ours make the right decision 95% of the time. They have reasons for every decision they make. People were worried about us using Holloway too much last year as well, and he got 36 of his 45 carries against USM, UAB, South Alabama, UTM, and Vandy. The only other game he got more than 1 carry in was A&M, and he ran it 5 times for 76 yards and a TD in that game.

Our coaches aren't stupid. They're not going to send Holloway out there to carry it 10-15 times against LSU. The only time he's had more than one carry against a legit opponent, he tore it up. Perhaps this is because the coaches knew of a weakness Holloway could exploit? They don't have any more interest in getting stuffed at the LOS than we do.

Why can't more people see this. Spot on like never before. P.o.d

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2015, 03:42 PM
People are going to figure out eventually that Mullen is going to play older guys no matter what. You are going to have to be an early round draft pick to get on the field early for us ala Jones, Bear, McKinney, etc

And at some point that bullshit is going to cost us wins and high value recruits. Guys like Peters, McLaurin, etc. don't come to school to sit for a year. Some positions need it, like OL and DL, but others don't. You were just blasting Mullen on Sunday for not playing Lee & Williams. RB ought to be the easiest position in football for guys to play early and/or have an immediate impact. Seniority shouldn't mean dick for that position.

Homedawg
09-10-2015, 03:43 PM
This concerns me too, especially with Cam Akers and Kylan Hill. I don't think either one of those guys will want to sit till there JR year to play.

Talking about taking it to an extreme. People that played a lot as fr, either true or redshirt, r. Brown, Ryan brown, Preston smith, Chris jones, b. Brown, Gabe Myles, Dak, d. Wilson d. Day, b. Claussell, j. Malone, do I need to keep going? Shit. Please stop that we don't play young guys. We play them when they are ready. And lately we have actually had some talent in the upper classes that we didn't have to start puppies. It's not fun starting tr fr on this league. It typically leads to getting ones ass beat. Mullen and company are doing it the right way, I think they have proven it to this point. But carry on. I'm sure someone will. And if it isn't about this, it will be about new tailgating trailers or whatever, just as long as we have plenty to butch about around here.

LC Dawg
09-10-2015, 03:43 PM

It's true that sometimes Coach Mullen plays older players over younger players but I think it's just because he usually trust the older players more. Whether that's right or wrong can be debated but I think it's crazy to think he plays someone based solely on their age.
He obviously doesn't always play players based on age because a true freshman scored our first offensive touchdown of the year and it wasn't a true freshman that the "experts" thought would play a lot so Coach Mullen must know a little bit about what he is doing.

engie
09-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Lol, that's cute.

maroonmania
09-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Look, I can at least understand possible reasons for some of the other situations like not playing Lee or Williams or maybe even Gerri Green that much because other players AT THAT POSITION were getting the time. Since when did Torrey Dale become an interior DT?

engie
09-10-2015, 04:53 PM
And it wasn't like Perkins hadn't just come off a 1,000 yard season averaging 5 ypc. And he ran up the middle his Jr as well. People act liked Perkins was a 300 yard back going into his Sr year. Which he played at less than 100%. I like Robinson as a person and he is talented. But I wish he had played with more Perkins attitude. He probably doesn't fade away at the end of last year. And maybe that's why he didn't play more. If he became the guy during Perkins Sr year would he have been as effective last year? Never know and it could have went either way.

Robinson wasn't our only back that outplayed Perkins to a roughly equal extent

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Robinson wasn't our only back that outplayed Perkins to a roughly equal extent

What?!? Who? Our running backs were Perkins, Robinson, Shumpert, Griffin, and Milton. Heck Lewis and Damian Williams had more yards than Griffin and Milton. I liked Milton and Griffin but you can't possibly make the argument that either were better options.

Leroy Jenkins
09-10-2015, 05:28 PM

Manny said the LBs came up because they were supposed to come up when the OL is 5 yards downfield. Our LBs read "run" from the OL and came forward as they should have, then they got throws behind them. The lineman downfield rule was not enforced last week.

joedog
09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
http://s11.postimg.org/ny6icvhbn/nonsense_thread.jpg

dawgwood
09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Manny said the LBs came up because they were supposed to come up when the OL is 5 yards downfield. Our LBs read "run" from the OL and came forward as they should have, then they got throws behind them. The lineman downfield rule was not enforced last week.
lineman being downfield had nothing to do with miss tackles and biting the play action every time. Gerri Green gotta get more snaps.

dawgs
09-10-2015, 05:50 PM

That's a problem though. We don't recruit enough elite talent that we can just have a steady assembly line of elite talent juniors/redshirt sophs ready to step in when out seniors graduate. When we land an elite talent guy, we need that guy on the field more often than not because it's unlikely he's behind another elite talent guy. Like with peters, market and kovan don't have high ceilings. Peters might struggle with the mental side of things, but the sooner he's out there, the sooner he's learning, and his pure athleticism should allow him to make plays our other safeties are just incapable of making, even if they play a little smarter. To maximize out talent on the field, we need to be willing to play our talents regardless of age. Bama can afford to sit 5* talent 2-3 years and still have elite talent. We can't.

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 05:50 PM
lineman being downfield had nothing to do with miss tackles and biting the play action every time. Gerri Green gotta get more snaps.

Wouldn't lineman being 5 yards down field on play action kind of sell the run even more? If that is what Manny was seeing as posted earlier.

Leroy Jenkins
09-10-2015, 05:58 PM

You may be confused. Also, who is "miss tackles"?

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 06:01 PM
That's a problem though. We don't recruit enough elite talent that we can just have a steady assembly line of elite talent juniors/redshirt sophs ready to step in when out seniors graduate. When we land an elite talent guy, we need that guy on the field more often than not because it's unlikely he's behind another elite talent guy. Like with peters, market and kovan don't have high ceilings. Peters might struggle with the mental side of things, but the sooner he's out there, the sooner he's learning, and his pure athleticism should allow him to make plays our other safeties are just incapable of making, even if they play a little smarter. To maximize out talent on the field, we need to be willing to play our talents regardless of age. Bama can afford to sit 5* talent 2-3 years and still have elite talent. We can't.

Ok. Besides Robinson, which has been debated to death, who in the last 3 or 4 years hasn't been a significant contributor as a true or redshirt freshman strickly because of an older player playing that spot. And don't give me so and so started over someone else. We have all agreed that the media doesnt know our depth because we played so many people last year that actual starters lost doesn't many anything. That's what everybody has been saying all summer. So give me someone who should have been contributing significant minutes that Mullen didn't do because of upper classman favoritism.

Coach34
09-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Ok. Besides Robinson, which has been debated to death, who in the last 3 or 4 years hasn't been a significant contributor as a true or redshirt freshman strickly because of an older player playing that spot. And don't give me so and so started over someone else. We have all agreed that the media doesnt know our depth because we played so many people last year that actual starters lost doesn't many anything. That's what everybody has been saying all summer. So give me someone who should have been contributing significant minutes that Mullen didn't do because of upper classman favoritism.

RoJo- he played tough and hard- but when he starts and is your 6th leading WR that aint good.
Love over Redmond
Whats his name over Slay

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 09:01 PM
RoJo- he played tough and hard- but when he starts and is your 6th leading WR that aint good.
Love over Redmond
Whats his name over Slay

Don't forget Cherrington over PJ Jones.

Sacrifice
09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Talking about taking it to an extreme. People that played a lot as fr, either true or redshirt, r. Brown, Ryan brown, Preston smith, Chris jones, b. Brown, Gabe Myles, Dak, d. Wilson d. Day, b. Claussell, j. Malone, do I need to keep going? Shit. Please stop that we don't play young guys. We play them when they are ready. And lately we have actually had some talent in the upper classes that we didn't have to start puppies. It's not fun starting tr fr on this league. It typically leads to getting ones ass beat. Mullen and company are doing it the right way, I think they have proven it to this point. But carry on. I'm sure someone will. And if it isn't about this, it will be about new tailgating trailers or whatever, just as long as we have plenty to butch about around here.

Ha nice try, I'm talking RBs specifically, that's why I mentioned them by name. Do you think Mullen would play Hill or Akers over the RBs we have on the roster right now? I don't.

Coach34
09-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Cherry over anybody

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 09:05 PM

I mostly remember the debate of Evans and James not PJ. And wasn't the coaches kind proven right for what they wanted him to do? Didn't Cherrington make the Seahawks practice squad?

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Love over Redmond
Whats his name over Slay

I specifically said we are not talking about starting because we have said that playing time was just as important. And a lot of Wilson learned about blocking (which we praised heavily from this past Sat) was learned from RoJo.
To me Love over Redmond was a better example that the Robinson Perkins debate. Redmond played a lot and maybe the case of him not starting early but pretty quick he was better. Again though how many plays did he play compared to Love? I'm not sure on that actually.
Corey Brumfield I think started in 2011 over Slay. Early in the year that was probably ok later Slay came on really strong.

Now how many times has Mullen played the younger guys over the last 3-4 over upper classman. Again we are talking significant playing time. If it's a cut and dry starter I'll give you that but certain groups you rotate a lot. When we start comparing the two wouldn't you say it's the same or even more of the younger guys? Wouldn't that kind of answer our question? If it's at least equal then it's not really favoritism but from the coaches point of view they were the best option. That's all I'm trying to show. If it's not cut and dry, which it's not, then he does mix in who he, or probably in a lot of cases the position coach, thinks gives us the best chance. Are they always right? No. But in several games they were or certain match ups. Just like the LSU game last year with Love. He feel a sleep on one bomb but the other he was in great position just got out jumped. And Redmond was in the field anyway so our 3 best were back there he just got beat.

cheewgumm
09-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I think we'll be forced to play the The RBs.

Not sure about the safeties but I think that will become apparent as well.

Schultzy
09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Anybody over Redmond

Anybody over Chris Jones

Anybody over Jamal Peters

Anybody over Dak two years ago

Where'sWaldo
09-10-2015, 09:46 PM

The question is will it take a loss to recognize it?

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Anybody over Redmond

Anybody over Chris Jones

Anybody over Jamal Peters

Anybody over Dak two years ago

Chris Jones played and played a lot as a freshman. Don't have a problem with his playing time. Starters don't matter remember. The media has it wrong about all the starters we lost as we returned so much experience. That's been our narrative when we have been told we have lost too much to be competitive this year. I agree with this but you can't have it both ways.

You can't make any point about Peters at this point in time. That's terrible.

Yeah the bulk of the fan base was perfectly fine with Tyler starting his senior year and the injury makes that idea moot.

And that's another point. A lot of this stuff is still being held over from the fire Dan hire Hud year. Those were major talking points then if why we should get rid of Dan at the time. Luckily that was the wrong thought process as well

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 09:53 PM

As far as the safety issue, it very well may come a point this season that it comes into play but hopefully not before they are ready. Even top flight safety's don't always come in right away and start or even get significant playing time. Don't forget what high schools these two guys are coming from. They have a lot to learn. They have ability but just ability will not make them a success at that position.

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
I mostly remember the debate of Evans and James not PJ. And wasn't the coaches kind proven right for what they wanted him to do? Didn't Cherrington make the Seahawks practice squad?

I'm sure there were some people that wanted Quay and or Nick James over Cherrington. I think Cherrington got a shot in the NFL because of his size and the fact that he played in the SEC. He was pretty much a practice squad guy as best as I can tell looking at his NFL stats/career. Latest I can tell is Cherrington was cut a year ago by the Seahawks and hasn't actually taken any snaps in a regular season NFL game. I'm pretty sure the NFL saw him as a project that might turn into a decent NT.

I highly doubt the coaches planned for him to be single blocked by every center in the SEC. He should have been a situational guy for us.

Back to Evans, James, and PJ- debate- given the benefit of hindsight I think PJ should have had the job.

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I think the solution to all of this is simple- make the guys that work hard in practice the "starters". Let them be announced on gameday as the starters on the Jumbotron. Let them start and play the first drive of the game and the first drive of the second half. But let the players that are talented play the majority of the time but not start. And tell the guys who aren't starting that if they want to start they need to work as hard as Cherrington, Perkins or whomever.

Schultzy
09-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Other major programs start uber talented freshmen over upperclassmen all the time with great results. Bowling Ball should've gotten more carries two years ago and everyone knows it.

Dak was a better fit two years ago and we all know it. He should've been taking snaps w 1st team all during camp and been ready q1 against OSU.

Peters is a superior talent, teach him the basics and play his ass.

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I'm sure there were some people that wanted Quay and or Nick James over Cherrington. I think Cherrington got a shot in the NFL because of his size and the fact that he played in the SEC. He was pretty much a practice squad guy as best as I can tell looking at his NFL stats/career. Latest I can tell is Cherrington was cut a year ago by the Seahawks and hasn't actually taken any snaps in a regular season NFL game. I'm pretty sure the NFL saw him as a project that might turn into a decent NT.

I highly doubt the coaches planned for him to be single blocked by every center in the SEC. He should have been a situational guy for us.

Back to Evans, James, and PJ- debate- given the benefit of hindsight I think PJ should have had the job.

Maybe and we also had the issue of Eulls playing out of position with a DC on his way out. How much if anything did that have to do with it? I don't know. I thought PJ last two years were really good but early in his career he struggled. It seems before his junior year a lot of people were down on the fact that Eulls and PJ were first string with Adams second with no Evans and James. Same thing again. They are too talented and it's just Mullen playing upper classman. No body had much of a problem with CJ tho as it was evident he belonged. Of course that was finally the year people began opening their eyes with those two particular players. Evans is gone by spring. And I'm so glad that James is starting to become the man that our staff prides itself on helping in the program as well.

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Other major programs start uber talented freshmen over upperclassmen all the time with great results. Bowling Ball should've gotten more carries two years ago and everyone knows it.

Dak was a better fit two years ago and we all know it. He should've been taking snaps w 1st team all during camp and been ready q1 against OSU.

Peters is a superior talent, teach him the basics and play his ass.

We play freshman as well. One caught a TD last Sat. We have giving several lists in threads so I'm not going to go over it again. The top safety's for the last few years Vonn Bell was a back up and special teams player his freshman year, I knkw you are going to say Conner but they didn't have any depth and he is still a hybrid LB really, Allen last year was mid season before he started and really contributed, and these are 5 star very polished players. Peters is a great athelete but he DID NOT come from that type of football background.

In all fairness to Tyler he had just come off setting a lot of school records and another 8 win season. Which with our history was a very good 3 year run. I don't ever remember a QB at a school coming off that much success and losing his starting position without an injury. I really can't think of one in the last decade. Maybe you can but I think that would have been a big program mistake. Terrible idea to create a QB controversy when even the bulk of the fanbase were not clamoring for one.

JRob should have gotten more carries. JRob was the only person stopping that and it showed up again at the end of last year. A year later and he still had issues. No, after the fact it was probably the best choice by the coaches for the sake of the program.

BayouDawg
09-10-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm hoping this years safety situation turns out like the 2010 safety situation. Our starters goin in to 2010 were Charles Mitchell and Wade Bonner. Nickoe Whitley was a talented rfr. By the middle of the year Whitley had gotten his feet wet and was a major contributor. I don't remember if Whitley ever started over Bonner, but I remember he was a major contributor by the end of the year. Hopefully Peters, Bryant, or mclauren can do like Whitley did in 2010. It'd be awesome if all three could do it, but atleast one needs to come on strong this year

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Maybe and we also had the issue of Eulls playing out of position with a DC on his way out. How much if anything did that have to do with it? I don't know. I thought PJ last two years were really good but early in his career he struggled. It seems before his junior year a lot of people were down on the fact that Eulls and PJ were first string with Adams second with no Evans and James. Same thing again. They are too talented and it's just Mullen playing upper classman. No body had much of a problem with CJ tho as it was evident he belonged. Of course that was finally the year people began opening their eyes with those two particular players. Evans is gone by spring. And I'm so glad that James is starting to become the man that our staff prides itself on helping in the program as well.

Evans had well known off the field issues. James had well known conditioning issues at the time.

I don't think any of the guys that many want to see start have those types of issues- Peters, Lee, Green, etc.

Really Clark?
09-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Evans had well known off the field issues. James had well known conditioning issues at the time.

I don't think any of the guys that many want to see start have those types of issues- Peters, Lee, Green, etc.

Can't disagree with that but you know as well as I that it didn't stop people claiming that Mullen was just refusing to play the more "talented" players in those two. People have done this since Mullen has been here. There were those questioning why we were playing a 2 star in Relf in the second year instead of the more talented 4 star Tyler. Mullen was right of course and maybe most programs fans on message boards debate this same thing. I don't know. But he played a bunch of freshman his first year and by the second or third year this argument was being made about this player or that. In the end the coaching staff has been right a lot more than wrong and they have played a lot of young players. But we have not had the luxury of a lot of polished players coming in and were ready to go their first year. There are pluses and minuses to every recruiting tactic. And by concentrating our recruiting here in state, under the radar types, and raw but unrefined athletes, the number who are completely ready to play may be smaller than other schools. But development is part of what many of us love about this program. It's just going to lend to an older average age of player in the program.

sandwolf
09-10-2015, 11:39 PM
If Holloway gets very many carries vs LSU we won't have to worry about him because he will be hurt

I don't know.....he may be tiny, but that little SOB proved he could take a hit when he got up from that hit Christion Jones laid on him a couple of years ago. I thought he was dead for sure.

DancingRabbit
09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I see no problem when posters say "I sure wish Mullen would play so-and-so more". I happen to feel that way about getting Lee more carries.

But when posters say or insinuate that Mullen is incompetent in his personnel management I just have to roll my eyes.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
09-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Is it possible that we didn't use some of these guys because we didn't want to show LSU anything they haven't seen before? All we've heard all off season was how good the 2 RF RB's were, yet they didn't play against USM. I think we were trying to hold our cards close to our vest.

Bama_Dawg
09-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Is it possible that we didn't use some of these guys because we didn't want to show LSU anything they haven't seen before? All we've heard all off season was how good the 2 RF RB's were, yet they didn't play against USM. I think we were trying to hold our cards close to our vest.

While in theory I agree, but it sure would be nice if we could have some film of their mistakes that could be corrected before the LSU game. Now if this is the case, a mistake can be costly.

For example, if Shump carries the ball low in the LSU game, that's on him. I can guarantee he's been coached up since that goal line fumble.

WinningIsRelentless
09-11-2015, 11:04 AM
The problem is kids get blowin up before they even step on campus. It is a monster jump from 6A MS football to SEC football. Imagine the jump from small 3a ms football to SEC football. Those players aren't ready to play big boy football for more than 5 or 6 plays a game. To much is different from the speed of the game to coverages.