PDA

View Full Version : New Relentless is Out, & Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2015, 10:40 AM
The New "Relentless" is out

http://www.hailstate.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4388196

A few thoughts:

- Awesome series. I'm addicted. This will become the highlight of my week prior to the game.

- Justin Johnson has a chance to be a ridiculous TE for us. Has everything. Size, hands, athleticism. Looks the part & appears smart.

- Upon watching this & watching the game replay last night, I think I've been too hard on Shumpert. He did some really nice things in the game &, if he doesn't fumble, we are probably singing a different tune this week. Dak hung him out to dry a few times on zone reads when Dak should have kept the ball. Shump appears to have more of a burst this year, catches the ball well, & pass blocks at a high level. My guess is that the fumble will make him more focused & he will play very well this week.

- While all of us were complaining about playing at Southern, I think there is something that Mullen truly appreciates about that situation. I cannot tell you how happy I am that we played. There are so many little things that we are able to work on this week that a home blowout would not have provided. This game provided an early season wake up call that gets you going & gets your players focused. I think this road trip will really pay dividends this week & when we go to Auburn. Thanks to this game, our players don't have everyone patting themselves on the back this week. They will be focused & play extremely well Saturday night. I think it will be enough.

- While watching the game replay, I've come to realize the essence of MSU football. Look no further than how well our receivers block. They are mad men out there. If there is a better receiver blocking core in the country, I'd love to see them.

Liverpooldawg
09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
It's really good, beats the heck out of the old coach's show.

Bubb Rubb
09-10-2015, 12:36 PM
They're making it similar to the Hard Knocks show on HBO, which is a good thing. I really like the "behind the scenes" stuff and wish they would do a little more of that.

BiloxiBully
09-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Personally I love it brings us to this century and makes our brand stronger. Love the insight from players and coaches about certain plays during our games.

Irondawg
09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
My knock on Shump is that twice last week there were two times he was in total control of what do do (i.e. he didn't have people hanging on him) and he simply did not make good decisions on where to run. For instance he took a swing pass and ran toward the sideline. There was an easy plant and cut upfield for a few extra yards and maybe even a TD (this was inside the 10). Instead he's ends up out of bound by basically his own momentum.

Yeah it's a little thing, but I've just seen enough to realize that's not the exception. He does not have great balance and body control and that limits his ability to maximize yardage.

He does some things really well. He blockes exceptionally well, has good hands and gets upfield quickly. I'm just not sold on him as a guy you can call a feature back.

And you mention Dak hanging him out on some poor zone read choices. Need him to read it right most of the time against LSU

LC Dawg
09-10-2015, 01:33 PM
I really like this series. They need to do something with the lighting on the solo segments because everyone's eyes look kind of freaky.
In regards to Shumpert I think he may not have the best balance and control but when I rewatched the game it looked like he lost his footing and slid both times that he tried to cut back and ended up going out of bounds.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Three things

1. Looked like a late hit on Walley on the touchdown.

2. Did they use the restroom at Stuckeys for the locker room?

3.Dan Mullen reminds me of Max Headroom.

SDDawg
09-10-2015, 03:34 PM
I really like this series. They need to do something with the lighting on the solo segments because everyone's eyes look kind of freaky.
In regards to Shumpert I think he may not have the best balance and control but when I rewatched the game it looked like he lost his footing and slid both times that he tried to cut back and ended up going out of bounds.

It's budget on the interview lighting, they are literally filming in a closet with curtains to keep it dark and a "halo" lens for lighting. For how cheap it is to do, it actually looks pretty decent. More budget for Derek, Stricklin!

Big4Dawg
09-10-2015, 04:15 PM
It's budget on the interview lighting, they are literally filming in a closet with curtains to keep it dark and a "halo" lens for lighting. For how cheap it is to do, it actually looks pretty decent. More budget for Derek, Stricklin!

Do you likee to just make shit up?

https://instagram.com/hailstatefb/

8th picture. Clearly not a closet with curtains.

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Three things

1. Looked like a late hit on Walley on the touchdown.

3.Dan Mullen reminds me of Max Headroom.

2. It looked like some bomb shelter. I seriously hope Damien Robinson didn't hit hit head on something in there.

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 05:18 PM
My knock on Shump is that twice last week there were two times he was in total control of what do do (i.e. he didn't have people hanging on him) and he simply did not make good decisions on where to run. For instance he took a swing pass and ran toward the sideline. There was an easy plant and cut upfield for a few extra yards and maybe even a TD (this was inside the 10). Instead he's ends up out of bound by basically his own momentum.

Yeah it's a little thing, but I've just seen enough to realize that's not the exception. He does not have great balance and body control and that limits his ability to maximize yardage.

He does some things really well. He blockes exceptionally well, has good hands and gets upfield quickly. I'm just not sold on him as a guy you can call a feature back.

And you mention Dak hanging him out on some poor zone read choices. Need him to read it right most of the time against LSU

I'm pretty sure Dak's read in the first half was hand it off to Shumpert no matter what. We unleashed Dak in the second half because it was 14-10 and we needed to put them away. Which is pretty much what happened.

mstatefan91
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Dak was told to hand the ball off to Shump no matter what in the first half. Neither of the players' faults. Just doing what they were told to do.

2nd half actually had some real reads and Dak read them correctly.

SDDawg
09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Do you likee to just make shit up?

https://instagram.com/hailstatefb/

8th picture. Clearly not a closet with curtains.

I exaggerated, but the point is clear. That is not a stage, it's a dark room with a curtain behind someone and a halo light on the lens. Much cheaper than a fixed stage and lighting environment. Thanks for weighing in though. :)

Dawgcentral
09-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Looked like a cinder block storage room underneath the stands. Is there A/C and running water in there?

We had better opposition locker rooms in our small High School 35 years ago.

whosyourdawgy
09-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Campbell Dale!!! Gotta love that kid and love the respect and sincere emotion from our coach talking about him and sending the game ball to him. That kid has touched a lot of lives across this state and I am glad we gave he and his family the spot in the show. Prayers for you little man God Bless You!

Barking 13
09-10-2015, 11:25 PM

He was having a hard time on the artificial turf. And as I said in an earlier post when I rewatched the Shump sack play, Warren pulled and Walley missed his assignment. Otherwise, it would have been 15 the other direction.

Thick
09-11-2015, 01:50 AM

He has TERRIBLE field vision, and that's what can make or break a good to great rb.