PDA

View Full Version : A Narrative I Keep Hearing this Week that I don't Understand

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I've heard more than one media member this week mention how talented Brandon Harris is by pointing to the comeback he led against us last year. While I do believe that Harris is talented, do these guys not realize that comeback was mounted against our second team defense, in garbage time, when the game was over?

True, the game got to close for comfort, but the entire comeback came in garbage time. I just don't understand why the media keeps mentioning that as a reason to watch out for Brandon Harris.

Also, I just heard the LSU beat writer Dellenger say that LSU only has 5 defensive tackles on scholarship and only 4 of them play. Someone may want to tell Chris Doering that since it appears LSU may be the team that has trouble with depth in the trenches.

sandwolf
09-10-2015, 10:08 AM
The whole "Brandon Harris torched us last year!" narrative is completely ridiculous. The game wound up being close for 2 reasons: 1.) the prevent defense and 2.) Archie Muniz's bad snap.

And honestly without the bad snap, the game is probably never in question, even with the prevent.....so you could make the argument that it was close strictly due to the bad snap.

RougeDawg
09-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure we had our 3rd string guys in for mostly the 4th last year on defense.

Harris "torched us" because we had eliminated the run and we're playing prevent for 3-4 consecutive series, allowing him to hit the underneath passed with little to no pressure at all. Seems completely logical for people to think otherwise.

ChevChelios
09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Pretty sure we had our 3rd string guys in for mostly the 4th last year on defense.

Harris "torched us" because we had eliminated the run and we're playing prevent for 3-4 consecutive series, allowing him to hit the underneath passed with little to no pressure at all. Seems completely logical for people to think otherwise.

Actually he was hitting damn deep balls against Mr. Love.

RougeDawg
09-10-2015, 10:31 AM

Either way we were purposefully not pressuring the backfield with our front 7, like we had previously in the game, to build our enormous lead. He had all day to sit in the pocket and wait for someone to come open. You can guarantee we won't allow that to happen this weekend.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
"Their Mississippi State, they suck, no way they can be good two years running, they lost 15 starters, they only have top 25 classes. Thats all I have heard so it must be true".........Everyone in the News Media.

drunkernhelldawg
09-10-2015, 10:39 AM
What sucked is they actually got one play for the win. That was too much.

BulldogBear
09-10-2015, 10:42 AM

He was just hanging them up there for the most part. He'll throw 3 INTs Saturday night.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2015, 10:44 AM

Agree. Mullen has accepted full responsibility this week for that.

BulldogBear
09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I've heard more than one media member this week mention how talented Brandon Harris is by pointing to the comeback he led against us last year. While I do believe that Harris is talented, do these guys not realize that comeback was mounted against our second team defense, in garbage time, when the game was over?

True, the game got to close for comfort, but the entire comeback came in garbage time. I just don't understand why the media keeps mentioning that as a reason to watch out for Brandon Harris.

Also, I just heard the LSU beat writer Dellenger say that LSU only has 5 defensive tackles on scholarship and only 4 of them play. Someone may want to tell Chris Doering that since it appears LSU may be the team that has trouble with depth in the trenches.

This had me scratching my head during that interview. If THAT is what they're hanging their THE HAT on this year it's going to be 38-7. After being 24-0 at the half.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Harris only threw what two passes last week one for a one yard lost and one was 4 feet over the head of Erkel.

FISHDAWG
09-10-2015, 11:06 AM
The whole "Brandon Harris torched us last year!" narrative is completely ridiculous. The game wound up being close for 2 reasons: 1.) the prevent defense and 2.) Archie Muniz's bad snap.

And honestly without the bad snap, the game is probably never in question, even with the prevent.....so you could make the argument that it was close strictly due to the bad snap.

dont forget about the fumble for a TD to start the 3rd qtr when Dak had the ball stripped

DancingRabbit
09-10-2015, 11:11 AM
If they are going to look back at last year, it's more appropriate to look at the game at Auburn. Harris was named the starter for that game on Monday, so he was "the guy". It's an away game in a hostile environment, but against one of the worst defenses in the conference he went 3 of 14 for 58 yards.

You hear people say we had the worst passing defense in the conference last year, but "total pass yards" is a very questionable measuring stick. Pass Defense Efficiency which takes into account interceptions, yards per attempt and completion percentage is more accurate. In conference games we ranked 7th and Auburn was 11th in PDE.

NCDawg
09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I'll admit Harris does seem to have a strong arm and LSU has some good receivers. We can't let them be running open in our secondary like last week.

Bothrops
09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
We are the most disrespected football program in the country, and it may not be close.

GreenheadDawg
09-10-2015, 12:24 PM
I'll admit Harris does seem to have a strong arm and LSU has some good receivers. We can't let them be running open in our secondary like last week.

I just want to see our corners playing up on the receivers and jamming them off the line. Not giving them 25 yards of cushion. I can't stand that shit

sandwolf
09-10-2015, 05:05 PM
dont forget about the fumble for a TD to start the 3rd qtr when Dak had the ball stripped

Yea, but even with that play, it was 34-10 with under 13 minutes left to play and 34-16 with under 2 minutes left to play.

They scored to make it 34-22 with 1:55 left on the clock. We get the ball back with 1:42 left and on the first play from scrimmage, Muniz snaps it to the moon, they get the ball back, the clock stops for the change of possession and then they score to make it 34-29 with 1:27 left without using any timeouts. If we just execute the snap for 3 running plays and then punt, they would have gotten the ball back inside their own 30 yard line with about 1:20 left on the clock and no timeouts......and then, even if they drive down the field and score with time left, they would have had to recover an onside kick just to be in the same situation they were in due to that snap.

Todd4State
09-10-2015, 05:13 PM

I was afraid Les Miles was going to pull out another one of his miracles. Thankfully we intercepted the ball.