PDA

View Full Version : Jalen mills

msstate7
09-08-2015, 07:13 AM
How much will his absence affect our game plan this week? Do you think we go pass heavy early to try and get an early lead?

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2015, 07:48 AM
I think it will come down to how our line holds up to an SEC defensive front. If Warren keeps getting abused then we may have to try and get the run game established first or go with more screens to cut down on the pass rush.

Bullshooter
09-08-2015, 07:48 AM
He's the Senior leader of their defense so obviously a big loss. They still have Adams and White in the secondary. I really hope Calhoun will be back for us Dupre and Duval could have a field day if Cleveland or Jiles is matched up 7 yards off of them. Any news on his injury?

UMCDawg16
09-08-2015, 08:09 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Warren "got abused". He gave up 1 sack on the road in his first start at tackle. Outside of that he played well. Is that the new definition of getting abused?

I seen it dawg
09-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Calhoun will play

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2015, 09:22 AM
How much will his absence affect our game plan this week? Do you think we go pass heavy early to try and get an early lead?

I'm glad LSU wasn't able to play last week and get Mill's replacement some experience and their secondary some chemistry

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2015, 09:23 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Warren "got abused". He gave up 1 sack on the road in his first start at tackle. Outside of that he played well. Is that the new definition of getting abused?

Agree. Sure Warren got beat once or twice when he was on his heels, but, from my view, Dak could've smoked a cigarette back there at times. If that happens against LSU in any kind of semi regular way, we will blow them out.

Bubb Rubb
09-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Abused is a strong word, but Warren didn't play very well, and that will be magnified against a defensive front like LSU.

BulldogDX55
09-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Agreed. I was at the game and watched him specifically for several plays, and he performed admirably, all things considered. IIRC, last year, the only part of USM's roster that could be considered pretty good was the DL, so if that fact carried over, we should be alright.

Coach007
09-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Warren played well. Anybody saying he did not isn't really aware of his job/assignments. Now will he do well vs LSU? Who knows. To me, we don't know what we have until that game has been played.

You can not gauge him on an offense that we really don't run. Pull up the few plays that dak ran and see how he did...

HSVDawg
09-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Abused is a strong word, but Warren didn't play very well, and that will be magnified against a defensive front like LSU.

He played OK for the most part but looked really, really bad on the sack he gave up right before halftime. If he does that against LSU, Dak is going to be out a week or three after the beating he takes.

Bubb Rubb
09-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Warren played well. Anybody saying he did not isn't really aware of his job/assignments. Now will he do well vs LSU? Who knows. To me, we don't know what we have until that game has been played.

You can not gauge him on an offense that we really don't run. Pull up the few plays that dak ran and see how he did...

It gives me no joy to say he didn't play well. But he didn't. You can't gauge how well he played based on whether Dak ran the ball well or not. Sealing a DE for an inside run is the easiest block in football for an offensive lineman. Dak's mobility actually slows down the DE and helps the OTs with their blocking assignments. You have to look at his footwork and balance, areas that he struggled Saturday. If you're really a coach, you know this stuff. He needs to improve. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it's an area of concern for me, and if you're really a coach, you should be concerned too.

Coach007
09-08-2015, 10:44 AM
It gives me no joy to say he didn't play well. But he didn't. You can't gauge how well he played based on whether Dak ran the ball well or not. Sealing a DE for an inside run is the easiest block in football for an offensive lineman. Dak's mobility actually slows down the DE and helps the OTs with their blocking assignments. You have to look at his footwork and balance, areas that he struggled Saturday. If you're really a coach, you know this stuff. He needs to improve. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it's an area of concern for me, and if you're really a coach, you should be concerned too.

Yeah, you can judge on that. It's about the only play we used that night that we normally run. The areas you mentioned I felt were fine.

Bubb Rubb
09-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Yeah, you can judge on that. It's about the only play we used that night that we normally run. The areas you mentioned I felt were fine.

Fair enough. But I encourage you to watch the replay when you get a chance. On Dak's long run in the third quarter, Rufus pulled ahead of him and got an easy block on the outside linebacker. Generally speaking, he was ok with run blocking. The concern is pass blocking, though. On one drive, he almost fell down twice trying to get his block. He looked bad on the sack, and struggled with his footwork all night. In the second half, we started motioning the TE over to help him block that edge. It's all on tape if you choose to look at it.

Really Clark?
09-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Seems like we had several players with footwork issues Sat night, even DB's, RB's etc. That maybe some of what we are seeing with Warren. Senior had a couple as well. Overall the line was fine but definitely a lot of stuff to work on.

Coach007
09-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Fair enough. But I encourage you to watch the replay when you get a chance. On Dak's long run in the third quarter, Rufus pulled ahead of him and got an easy block on the outside linebacker. Generally speaking, he was ok with run blocking. The concern is pass blocking, though. On one drive, he almost fell down twice trying to get his block. He looked bad on the sack, and struggled with his footwork all night. In the second half, we started motioning the TE over to help him block that edge. It's all on tape if you choose to look at it.

He could have looked perfect and still get owned by the lsu front. Lol. That's why I was saying we will know exactly what we have sat night.