PDA

View Full Version : Is the media overrating on Texas A&M again?

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Looks like it's happening again.... This morning I heard an ESPN analyst say that A&M is a playoff contender following their win over #15 Arizona State.

Just for context, in last season's first game, A&M won at then #9 South Carolina 52-28 & everyone had them winning the national championship then as well.

Was South Carolina that good? No, but I doubt Arizona State is as well, although, since they play in the Pac 12, we likely won't ever know.

I think the media is way to quick to jump to conclusions after the first week of games, & usually do so with big market teams like A&M, UCLA, & Notre Dame, for example.

A&M did have 9 sacks in the game, which is extremely impressive, but I'm going to withhold judgement until they play a physical football team.

I believe A&M has a formula problem with how they won Saturday & it won't be sustainable in SEC games. A&M needs to be an offensive juggernaut to win big games, & I didn't see that on Saturday. As good as a defensive coordinator John Chavis is, he would have to be a miracle worker to completely turn around that defense in year one & make them a feared unit that can carry the team.

With that said, Kyle Allen did not impress me for most of the game & Kyler Murray is a true freshman, with below average arm strength & height, that defensive coordinators can scheme for by containing & making him throw from the pocket. Due to this, I don't think A&M is going to be an offensive juggernaut & I don't think the defense will be any better than average, against physical teams that run right at them.

A&M is a solid, middle of the SEC West team IMO, I just didn't see the correct formula that I believe will allow them to have sustainable success against top level teams, but the media apparently thinks they are a playoff contender today.

As for the most impressive teams in the SEC West on Saturday

Alabama
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Auburn Tie with MSU
MSU Tie with MSU
LSU

But, again, the first week is virtually useless

BulldogBear
09-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Texas A&M, contender, overhype. These are synonymous labels in week 2 each year.

Dawgowar
09-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Shotgun, they have to fill airspace to sell beer and pizza 60 seconds at a time. Easier to get A&M and their fanbase participating early now. They may fade later and with them, the interest of their fans. We do not have a big enough fan base to warrant major discussion until we create a buzz on the field. Then we become a national story. That's how they sell us. When we lost we were pushed off the front pages and radio spots pretty quick. In fairness they gave us plenty of positive coverage once we shook things up. Fair or not that is where our bar lies.

A&M will be better and should be able to beat anyone on any given Saturday this year. Murray isn't Johnny football. Allen was nervous. Still, we know Summlin's scheme is a pain in the ass even when he has Houston's talent level.

msstate7
09-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Shotgun, they have to fill airspace to sell beer and pizza 60 seconds at a time. Easier to get A&M and their fanbase participating early now. They may fade later and with them, the interest of their fans. We do not have a big enough fan base to warrant major discussion until we create a buzz on the field. Then we become a national story. That's how they sell us. When we lost we were pushed off the front pages and radio spots pretty quick. In fairness they gave us plenty of positive coverage once we shook things up. Fair or not that is where our bar lies.

A&M will be better and should be able to beat anyone on any given Saturday this year. Murray isn't Johnny football. Allen was nervous. Still, we know Summlin's scheme is a pain in the ass even when he has Houston's talent level.

I think Murray is gonna be really good. Manziel was a RS freshman when he made his debut. Murray is a true freshman. I hope we have to deal with Allen more than Murray. I don't like the idea of us chasing him around all day

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2015, 10:49 AM
I think Murray is gonna be really good. Manziel was a RS freshman when he made his debut. Murray is a true freshman. I hope we have to deal with Allen more than Murray. I don't like the idea of us chasing him around all day

I agree that Murray will be good, but I think he's facing a different battle than Manziel.

IMO, Manziel was less effective in his second year than first, mostly because SEC defensive coordinators made adjustments & made progress in scheming for him. Unfortunately for Murray, most of the same head coaches are in place & will already have the game plan for how to contain Murray.

When Manziel came along, the SEC really hadn't seen anything like him & it took some time for teams to adjust. Murray won't have that benefit. He will have to be better than Manziel to have similar success.

Coach34
09-07-2015, 10:50 AM
A&M is improved. How much? Time will tell

msstate7
09-07-2015, 10:53 AM
I agree that Murray will be good, but I think he's facing a different battle than Manziel.

IMO, Manziel was less effective in his second year than first, mostly because SEC defensive coordinators made adjustments & made progress in scheming for him. Unfortunately for Murray, most of the same head coaches are in place & will already have the game plan for how to contain Murray.

When Manziel came along, the SEC really hadn't seen anything like him & it took some time for teams to adjust. Murray won't have that benefit. He will have to be better than Manziel to have similar success.

Murray's accuracy will be what makes or breaks him. He has elite speed and is very shifty. His accuracy was not good and that's being generous. If he can improve that accuracy and not let guys hit him (small), sky's the limit for this kid

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2015, 11:32 AM
I watched a lot of that game. A&M looked pretty dang good.

Dawg61
09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
I hope aTm plays Murray vs us. He can only run outside. He'll get murdered up the middle. He's about 5'6 and can't throw for shit. We will destroy that hobbit.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2015, 11:48 AM
I hope aTm plays Murray vs us. He can only run outside. He'll get murdered up the middle. He's about 5'6 and can't throw for shit. We will destroy that hobbit.

He might be the only guy in the SEC West that is as small as Holloway.

msstate7
09-07-2015, 11:52 AM

1st college game ever. might be a harsh judgement.

HoopsDawg
09-07-2015, 12:05 PM
I watched a lot of that game. A&M looked pretty dang good.

Agree, they are loaded with talent. Speedy Noil, Ricky Seals Jones and All SEC Reynolds at WR and then a 5 star true freshman steals the show in Kirk.

Daylon Mack has added something at DT + Chavis and LSU like D-ends. They are going to be tough.

sleepy dawg
09-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Hey, that same logic helped us get to #1 in 5 weeks last year too.

PMDawg
09-07-2015, 03:00 PM
No.

SDDawg
09-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Definitely. We don't know what ASU has yet, and we also know that A&M doesn't have a QM until Murray proves he can beat anyone with his arm. Agree with C34 that A&M has improved, but that may not mean much at all.

SDDawg
09-07-2015, 03:13 PM

We haven't really seen him throw enough to know, but a good scheme should make him manageable, worst case.

BulldogBear
09-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Not interested in any offensive capabilities. They can score some as usual. Really means nothing in this league unless you got little to none. They will stand or fall on defense as usual. Let me see them stop a known quantity good offense and I'll probably be more concerned. Tell me they dominated ASU defensively and that ASU has a prolific offense. Until they prove otherwise it's just week two last year. Rinse. Repeat.

TAMU greatest team ever..... followed by death by Tiger, Bulldog, or Tide, etc

IMissJack
09-07-2015, 05:35 PM
A&M is improved. How much? Time will tell

This and they play 3 games outside of TX this year is why the media is on them. They have the 4-5 star players that they love too.

coastdoglover
09-07-2015, 07:06 PM
This and they play 3 games outside of TX this year is why the media is on them. They have the 4-5 star players that they love too.

I agree and they have by far the best schedule in the league. I watched most of their game and taped the part when we played. They have size and speed and the frosh qb is some kind of quick .

Dawg61
09-08-2015, 01:20 AM
I agree and they have by far the best schedule in the league. I watched most of their game and taped the part when we played. They have size and speed and the frosh qb is some kind of quick .

Yea he's quick to the edge vs Arizona State. Let's see how quick to the edge he is vs SEC defenses that thrive covering sideline to sideline. He's way too short. I'm serious when I said he's 5'6. 5'8 TOPS. He's too damn short to see over the lineman so he's forced to rollout. He sucks. Please play the hobbit vs us.

RougeDawg
09-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Not interested in any offensive capabilities. They can score some as usual. Really means nothing in this league unless you got little to none. They will stand or fall on defense as usual. Let me see them stop a known quantity good offense and I'll probably be more concerned. Tell me they dominated ASU defensively and that ASU has a prolific offense. Until they prove otherwise it's just week two last year. Rinse. Repeat.

TAMU greatest team ever..... followed by death by Tiger, Bulldog, Beaver or Tide, etc

You left out the greatest team and coach to ever walk the face of the earth.