PDA

View Full Version : Over react much????

Coach 57
09-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Good gracious people settle down with the borderline stupidity. We played a team that saw the contest as a Super Bowl IN THEIR HOUSE and we won going away. Figure in two bone headed mistakes and the game is NEVER close not even a little bit! Neither were coaching errors either, they were just first game jitters for Fred & Shump. Then you figure the onside kick and it was the perfect concoction for a huge home victory for them but they weren't successful, btw our defense had a LOT to do with that in a shell cover 2 look that we won't spend much time in this season. Calm down with the comments about Richie, Coman and the secondary.

But there is an issue that I'm curious how we are going to address. What is the plan for Rufus or the LT situation? Because Vs C-USA DEs he didn't fair well. He will face a huge task this weekend! Some tactical things we can do and DID do is go with 2 TEs who can chip and help but can also make plays down the field (btw wasn't there someone on here worried about losing Malcolm & that him being gone would hurt us?). We have REAL TEs now. Guys that are big but athletic. This will be a weapon Vs Bama's 3-4 scheme and any other 3-4 scheme as the TE is the greatest weapon Vs those philosophies.

Dak did NOT look accurate! And looked like he regressed somewhat as a passer. Not sure why but he did.

Shump will be FINE but whenever we play lower tier schools Dan loves using Holloway. Lee & Williams barely played...they will this weekend. We will need their bruising style Vs LSU and honestly I think Lee is a spark plug for the offense. Not that he's better than Shump but he is a high energy guy.

Don't over react though we have great coaches, we need to wait and assess this team post LSU not before it. God bless you guys and have a great Labor Day!

blacklistedbully
09-06-2015, 08:46 PM
well said.

TrapGame
09-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Amen!

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 08:49 PM
The voice of reason. HulkBuster.

Homedawg
09-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Good gracious people settle down with the borderline stupidity. We played a team that saw the contest as a Super Bowl IN THEIR HOUSE and we won going away. Figure in two bone headed mistakes and the game is NEVER close not even a little bit! Neither were coaching errors either, they were just first game jitters for Fred & Shump. Then you figure the onside kick and it was the perfect concoction for a huge home victory for them but they weren't successful, btw our defense had a LOT to do with that in a shell cover 2 look that we won't spend much time in this season. Calm down with the comments about Richie, Coman and the secondary.

But there is an issue that I'm curious how we are going to address. What is the plan for Rufus or the LT situation? Because Vs C-USA DEs he didn't fair well. He will face a huge task this weekend! Some tactical things we can do and DID do is go with 2 TEs who can chip and help but can also make plays down the field (btw wasn't there someone on here worried about losing Malcolm & that him being gone would hurt us?). We have REAL TEs now. Guys that are big but athletic. This will be a weapon Vs Bama's 3-4 scheme and any other 3-4 scheme as the TE is the greatest weapon Vs those philosophies.

Dak did NOT look accurate! And looked like he regressed somewhat as a passer. Not sure why but he did.

Shump will be FINE but whenever we play lower tier schools Dan loves using Holloway. Lee & Williams barely played...they will this weekend. We will need their bruising style Vs LSU and honestly I think Lee is a spark plug for the offense. Not that he's better than Shump but he is a high energy guy.

Don't over react though we have great coaches, we need to wait and assess this team post LSU not before it. God bless you guys and have a great Labor Day!

Rufus might or might not work out, but we're you worried last year about Blaine when usm ran over him like he was a hs player? He got abused last year by Bradley. Abused. Our line wasn't good last year against usm either but we won 49-0. Like I said, Rufus might not by the answer, but the concern should have been the same last year. It wasn't by Blaine had played before. Just saying. As for lb play, our pass drops are a bigger concern to me, they weren't good at it last year and this year is worse, esp be we can't play man in a 4-3 set by we don't have wells. His loss is huge.....I'm concerned about shump, he's blind and can't see a hole.

Schultzy
09-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Yeah, contrarian opinions are one thing but I've seen some juvenile adolescent stuff in here for the first game of the season.

But seriously, #88 needs to get his ass onsides.

Homedawg
09-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, contrarian opinions are one thing but I've seen some juvenile adolescent stuff in here for the first game of the season.

But seriously, #88 needs to get his ass onsides.

I'm cool w that, so does 47 then

messageboardsuperhero
09-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Bradley is a nice player. I still wish we had offered him.

That said Rufus definitely needs to step up as he is clearly the weak link on an otherwise pretty good OL.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Bradley is a nice player. I still wish we had offered him.

That said Rufus definitely needs to step up as he is clearly the weak link on an otherwise pretty good OL.

Yep, and if we had we would be 100% guaranteed of getting Jeffrey Simmons this year.

grinnindawg
09-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Amen. It's clear Mullen views these games as scrimmages.
Hard to tell what we have after that game.

Anyone remember this?
Sep 6, 2014 Starkville, Miss. Mississippi State 47, UAB 34 http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2014/ms0906.htm

I seem to remember a similar reaction.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 09:08 PM
I agree!

RougeDawg
09-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Amen. It's clear Mullen views these games as scrimmages.
Hard to tell what we have after that game.

Anyone remember this?
Sep 6, 2014 Starkville, Miss. Mississippi State 47, UAB 34 http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2014/ms0906.htm

I seem to remember a similar reaction.

No, what the f*** are you talking about? When we play games similar to last night, it means we should call off the season, forfeit, and start looking for very tall objects of which to jump off of.** ** **

Our entire society has the "what have you done for me lately" mentality and it results in the ignorant reactions from last nights game. We will destroy LSU and last night has no bearing on that thought process.

Political Hack
09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Rufus might or might not work out, but we're you worried last year about Blaine when usm ran over him like he was a hs player? He got abused last year by Bradley. Abused. Our line wasn't good last year against usm either but we won 49-0. Like I said, Rufus might not by the answer, but the concern should have been the same last year. It wasn't by Blaine had played before. Just saying. As for lb play, our pass drops are a bigger concern to me, they weren't good at it last year and this year is worse, esp be we can't play man in a 4-3 set by we don't have wells. His loss is huge.....I'm concerned about shump, he's blind and can't see a hole.

You don't fix vision and after watching JRob last year, it's going to be a tough transition for fans to see backs missing the holes. Our offense looks clunky. Dropped passes weren't bad, but when you combine them with bad throws by Dak it compounds the issue. Add to that some shakey protection on the OL, and you see us struggle to score in the 1st half. A lot of that can be contributed to first game jitters, but when you play that crappy and win by almost 20, it's not necessarily a bad thing. We are THAT MUCH better than them.

shannondawg
09-07-2015, 06:52 AM
What a difference a day or two make. Yesterday and somewhat today, we are sounding the death toll for the team, by Thursday, we will be invincible again, and probably in the play offs.

Dawgface
09-07-2015, 07:18 AM
What a difference a day or two make. Yesterday and somewhat today, we are sounding the death toll for the team, by Thursday, we will be invincible again, and probably in the play offs.

Ha. By some maybe.

Smitty
09-07-2015, 07:19 AM
We looked very similar to the 2012 version of Bulldog football.

Forced passes where there wasn't a window ala Tyler Russell
Lack of a running game (where the best option may be on the bench)
Bend but don't break insanity
And the major similarity is the unrelentless attitude and gameplan. Finesse breeds finesse.

The good news is that we don't have a 7 game cakewalk to have to find out who we really are. Big boy football 5 days away.

basedog
09-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Man some of you guys are over analyzing after one game! I'm amazed how some feel like they have the answers of who is better or who should be playing, again after one game. A few should give it a break, in the meantime I'm sure we will have a few players emerge and play bigger roles as the season goes on. I too was a little frustrated how we looked against Usm, but after further review, we gave one TD, held them to 16 points, out gained them even though they ran 80 plays to our 66, I now feel better and expect a very close game against Lswho.

We will be ok, glad we won the first one.

P.S. Stars don't matter when a kid straps on the pads for his first SEC practice or games, so forget about what a kid did in High School, prove is in the pudding with how Mullen recruits many 2,3 and sleeper players.

Technetium
09-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Lee & Williams barely played...they will this weekend. We will need their bruising style Vs LSU and honestly I think Lee is a spark plug for the offense. Not that he's better than Shump but he is a high energy guy.

This. I'm not claiming Lee should start over Shump, given there is more to being a RB than running the ball, but I definitely think he's more of a traditional MSU RB. I've seen few RB that run as hard as he does as soon as he touches the ball. I almost feel sorry for the defensive players who try to tackle him.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Guys, we aren't going to play like that on Saturday. Just let it go.

I'm actually glad we had an early season frustration, as I think it makes the team focus and realize nothing will be given to them.

I think we play great on Saturday

PMDawg
09-07-2015, 09:33 AM
The things that bothered me about the game:
The 2nd string DL did not look good.
We only played 2 RBs when we have 4 good ones and the starter was not playing well. Why didnt the others play before the last drive?

What gives me hope:
Our players had no emotion. They did not want to be there and it showed. Usually a bad thing to be that disinterested, yet we still won fairly easily.
USM is not a bad team this year. As I said before the game, I expected it to be fairly close (I predicted an 18 point win) and I said it would be more to do with USM being much better than us being bad.

I did not expect some of the struggles I saw, but almost all are correctable. The DL depth is the one that may not be. Hopefully they were just tight in game 1.

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2015, 09:39 AM
The fans expectations of this season reminds me of expectations leading up to the 96-97basketball season or 2001 footall season. Our expectations might be a tad high.

Even IF we lose next weekend, no need to flip out. I saw enough Saturday to feel good about earning a bowl this year. Win the two "bowls", it will be a good year.

Coach34
09-07-2015, 09:40 AM
The OL and DL depth will get better as we go. There is no better teacher than live reps in the Arena.

I thought Clayborn looked good for an opener. All the snaps were perfect and he held his ground very well. He got their Nose turned really well a few times.

PMDawg
09-07-2015, 10:02 AM
The OL and DL depth will get better as we go. There is no better teacher than live reps in the Arena.

I thought Clayborn looked good for an opener. All the snaps were perfect and he held his ground very well. He got their Nose turned really well a few times.

I thought our OL was fine. Not great, but good enough. Dan just needs to help Rufus with some chips when he is matched against a good rush DE like Bradley.