PDA

View Full Version : In game kickoff

DanDority
09-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Do we have a kicker who can Kick the ball out of the end zone? I see what we are trying to do but I'd prefer the receiving team just start a drive as a touchback, bring it on out to the 25.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't have a problem kicking the ball short of the endzone. If you kick it in the end zone the ball come out to the 25 if you kick it to the two yard line and the coverage guys make the tackle they get the ball on about the 18 to 20. Watch games and see how many times the ball makes it to the 25 when bringing the ball out.

DanDority
09-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't have a problem kicking the ball short of the endzone. If you kick it in the end zone the ball come out to the 25 if you kick it to the two yard line and the coverage guys make the tackle they get the ball on about the 18 to 20. Watch games and see how many times the ball makes it to the 25 when bringing the ball out.

Do you not think I watch our games? There is a reason I made my post, we didn't make the tackle until the returner was out past the 25 on several occasions.

VandelayIndustries
09-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Hopefully we kick it through the end zone next weekend. Don't want Fournette taking one back

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Do you not think I watch our games? There is a reason I made my post, we didn't make the tackle until the returner was out past the 25 on several occasions.

We did the same thing last year and lead the league in kickoff return defense and was 14th nationally. And if you are a statistics type of person, there is a pretty good correlation with teams having to go 80 yards vs 75 reducing their scoring. but there is also a great stat of the field position battle where if you are just 6-10 yards better in position over the course of the game you win 78% of your games by I think was a 2 TD margin. So there is good cases for doing it.

DanDority
09-06-2015, 08:36 PM
We did the same thing last year and lead the league in kickoff return defense and was 14th nationally. And if you are a statistics type of person, there is a pretty good correlation with teams having to go 80 yards vs 75 reducing their scoring. but there is also a great stat of the field position battle where if you are just 6-10 yards better in position over the course of the game you win 78% of your games by I think was a 2 TD margin. So there is good cases for doing it.

You make a good point, however, how many times did we make them start inside there 20 last night?

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
You make a good point, however, how many times did we make them start inside there 20 last night?

1 maybe 2 times. I know it was inside the 25 more than once. What does that have to do with the fact that over the course of the year we led the league in return defense last year? You can't just take a small one game sample vs an entire year and say it doesn't work.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Hopefully we can start making the tackles and keeping inside the 25.

DanDority
09-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Hopefully we can start making the tackles and keeping inside the 25.

Yes, I hope so too!

EdDawg
09-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Does Fournette return kicks for LSU?

If so that a difficult decision. One one hand if you kick it out of the end zone there is no chance of a return. On the other if we kick it high and he gets to the 25 or less. Well that's another play that he has to play, and he may wear down more.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Does Fournette return kicks for LSU?

If so that a difficult decision. One one hand if you kick it out of the end zone there is no chance of a return. On the other if we kick it high and he gets to the 25 or less. Well that's another play that he has to play, and he may wear down more.

He did last year.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Yes, I hope so too!

Heres something a little funny. My son and I was watching the game and when Holloway came out with the ball on the kick off the first thing out of my mouth was,"What is he doing?," My son said, "you got that one wrong" He is only 11 years old. We laughed.

Dawg61
09-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Forget for a second the fact that you can NEVER create a turnover or ever have a huge hit that fires up your team and fans and just answer one question for me. How many times throughout an entire season is Bell going to yank the ball out of bounds because he's putting full nut into every kick? A lot more than you're going to like. They place the ball on the 35 yard line when your kicker does that ya know.