PDA

View Full Version : USM totally changed defenses

Coach007
09-06-2015, 04:52 PM
First, had we ran our offense early, we would have been better off. That's my opinion . I think it would have deflated them... and we would have had a bigger lead going into the half.

Now for the topic. USM changed their defense from last year. They ran a cover last year... 3 and 1. Not last night. That tells me that we was able to adjust and by the second half had things under control on the ol. I still believe we could have mopped the field with them had we used our play book.

Their offensive staff took a huge look at film. They played a great game based on our weaknesses from last year. It created issues... the same as last year. However, I feel alot of that was getting players on the depth chart reps. Whole dl subs etc. The good news is that we improved. Now the question is can we fix some things on the defense before lsu.... will the defense be opened up. Because we played very soft last night

DownwardDawg
09-06-2015, 06:37 PM
It was obvious we could have beaten them by 30 or more easily. Look what happened when Dak ran a few times. Look what happened when Fitz came in and ran. Look what happened when we started throwing to Bear. We gave them a major bend Don's break defense, which I hate, but we shut them down in the red zone.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2015, 07:01 PM
It was obvious we could have beaten them by 30 or more easily. Look what happened when Dak ran a few times. Look what happened when Fitz came in and ran. Look what happened when we started throwing to Bear. We gave them a major bend Don's break defense, which I hate, but we shut them down in the red zone.

In fairness to USM, the game was pretty well settled by the time Fitz came in and their defensive effort was trailing off.

Irondawg
09-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Fitz looks like a natural running that zone read though. Not sure how he will be able to sling it against a real defense

DownwardDawg
09-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Fitz looks like a natural running that zone read though. Not sure how he will be able to sling it against a real defense

Yeah I wanted to see him throw a pass or two. He looked great running though.

Schultzy
09-06-2015, 08:39 PM
run

Coach007
09-07-2015, 08:48 AM

No doubt. I think that's the source of frustration. Had we run our offense in the second quarter, we would have been up Big, and fans would have been settled.

The issues on defense, for us was scheme and a huge rotation of 1s and 2s.