PDA

View Full Version : Rewatching the game...a few things ive noticed...

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
#1. We took basically zero shots down field. Didnt attempt to stretch the field at all, so USM was playing their entire defense within 8-10 yds of the LOS. We will run more deep routes against better teams. Could be a ploy to make LSU cheat up.

#2. Deandre Ward was awful last night. I like the guy, and im glad he got a scholly, but wow...he looked clueless on several pass plays where he was responsible in the seam. Especially on some of the tight end completions. That being said, we all know that he is unlikely to play much in SEC games, so that makes me feel better about some of the open guys over the middle. It should make you guys feel a little better too.

#3. Cant say enough about Redmond. His coverage was solid, but his tackling and help with the run game, was phenomenal.

#4. If Dak had not been told NOT to run, he could have scrambled for an extra 100 yds.

Im at halftime. I may add more

dawgs
09-06-2015, 04:09 PM
only mistake redmond made that i can remember was underplaying that double reverse flea flicker pass. our secondary played it well in that they stayed with the WR and were in position to make a play, but redmond misplayed the ball and whiffed on it leading to the big completion. otherwise, he shut down his side of the field. hopefully calhoun's knee injury was more of a rest/precaution thing knowing we should be able to handle usm without a starting CB.

chef dixon
09-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Is there a replay available online?

RiverCityDawg
09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
#1. We took basically zero shots down field. Didnt attempt to stretch the field at all, so USM was playing their entire defense within 8-10 yds of the LOS. We will run more deep routes against better teams. Could be a ploy to make LSU cheat up.

#2. Deandre Ward was awful last night. I like the guy, and im glad he got a scholly, but wow...he looked clueless on several pass plays where he was responsible in the seam. Especially on some of the tight end completions. That being said, we all know that he is unlikely to play much in SEC games, so that makes me feel better about some of the open guys over the middle. It should make you guys feel a little better too.

#3. Cant say enough about Redmond. His coverage was solid, but his tackling and help with the run game, was phenomenal.

#4. If Dak had not been told NOT to run, he could have scrambled for an extra 100 yds.

Im at halftime. I may add more

I rewatched the game as well...

1. I know we didn't take many deep shots because of the coverage they ran, but agree we could have ran someone deep between the safeties more often.

2. Couldn't agree more. I didn't really notice the first time, but he was absolutely terrible. I know Dez Harris is coming off an injury but surely to goodness he can beat out Ward as the back up. Ward had three dreadful plays in a row and then asked to come out. Really bad.

3) Agree. Misplayed the ball on the trick play and let the receiver get inside on him once for about 15-20 yards, but otherwise was great.

4) Absolutely. He should have kept it a few times. More proof that we have to run the QB in our offense. I know it puts Dak at risk for injury, but our offense isn't going to look good without consistent running from the QB. Period. In a way, it worked since we got out with a win and Dak didn't get injured, but everything about our offense struggles when we aren't mixing in the QB run.

A few more things I noticed:

- Dak didn't really make any bad decisions, he was just inaccurate on a lot of throws. Several high throws. Even completed passes were a little off at times.

- I REALLY wanted to believe that Shumpert had raised his game, but didn't see it in this one. His vision and agility still look subpar. Very little burst and on top of it all, he doesn't really break tackles. If his vision and agility doesn't improve he HAS to break tackles to be effective at all.

- Richie didn't play well. Seems to try and avoid blocks as opposed to taking them on and plugging the hole, so when he can't avoid the block the hole is there for the hitting.

- A few busted coverages by the linebacker and corner that made the safety look bad. The safety play was below average (including my guy Kivon), but not as bad as I originally thought. At least we didn't get beat deep any. The only TD we gave up was a busted coverage by Benni Brown.

- Aside from a nice PBU on Richie's INT, Tolando Cleveland was bad. Getting Taveze back will be huge.

- Devon Desper had a hell of a game. I thought he would be the weakest link this year, but I would bet he graded out the highest in this one. Had one holding call (that wasn't terrible), but otherwise looked great. As a whole I thought the O Line was above average.

- More Justin Johnson please. Got bumped off his route on his first target, but then had a clutch 3rd down catch and the TD. A couple decent blocks too.

- D Line looked good. Loved the pressure we got from Ryan Brown and AJ. Our top three tackles played well. Surprised that Dale was the 4th DT. Where was Thomas?

- That freaking Mullen.s had a damn good game. Never got rattled despite quite a bit of pressure and no real running game to help him. I honestly don't think Harris can play as well as Mullen.s did last night. I was also really impressed with Southern's offensive scheme? Some really great route combinations.

In summary, I think all the goofiness in the first quarter (fumble, muffed punt, on sides kick) to away any change to get into a rhythm. I felt pretty discouraged after the game, but now feel much better after watching it again. The key against LSU will be a fast start on offense (with Dak runs included), making Harris uncomfortable, and better play from Richie Brown in the middle.

RougeDawg
09-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Is there a replay available online?

Not sure, but DirecTV has a replay at 2 am Tuesday morning on 219 fox Sports 1. Maybe this helps.