PDA

View Full Version : Defensive scheme question

BayouDawg
09-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Can anybody tell me why our dbs were not playing press coverage and jamming their wide receivers at the line? USM runs a finesse offense so why not jam them and throw off the timing? Is this a sign of things to come? Or was it just a classic CDM don't give a shit vanilla possum game plan?

bulldawg28
09-06-2015, 06:27 PM
We ran alot of cover 3 last night and It was as basic as it gets. We only adjusted maybe 3 times to man free. Diaz basically ran a spring game defense.

Harrydawg
09-06-2015, 06:37 PM
No doubt, people are jumping off ledges about beating USM by only 16 points, at there places in the biggest game played in Hattiesburg in years. Mullen stayed a vanilla as possible......cover 3 with very little blitzing. Dak was largely stationary throwing short routes, blocking schemes by OL were bland, straight up.......

We won't recognize the this team Saturday night.

War Machine Dawg
09-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Can anybody tell me why our dbs were not playing press coverage and jamming their wide receivers at the line? USM runs a finesse offense so why not jam them and throw off the timing? Is this a sign of things to come? Or was it just a classic CDM don't give a shit vanilla possum game plan?

You answered your own question. We made the decision to play our safeties extremely deep, keep everything in front of us, and give USM what they wanted in the middle of the field. When we had to stop them, we did. It was pretty obvious that despite all the yards they were racking up with the WR screen early and that damn crossing route later, they weren't going to punch it in unless we let them. One of their TDs was a gift set up by Ross's fumble. The other was a "shit happens" and USM is improved situation.

Bothrops
09-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I think USM was able to execute a lot better than our staff expected them to. If USM played with that same intensity in their remaining games, they'd probably win 8 games, but it won't happen.

archdog
09-06-2015, 06:47 PM
I say they win 7 at a min. I would like for them to run the table and make it to their real superbowl, the liberty bowl.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2015, 06:50 PM
No doubt, people are jumping off ledges about beating USM by only 18 points, at there places in the biggest game played in Hattiesburg in years. Mullen stayed a vanilla as possible......cover 3 with very little blitzing. Dak was largely stationary throwing short routes, blocking schemes by OL were bland, straight up.......

We won't recognize the this team Saturday night.

There, FIFY

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2015, 06:58 PM
On the trick play in the late 3qtr, it looked like Coman and Market were in cover2. The problem was that the USM receiver was running a deep crossing pattern with a stumbling Coman in pursuit. Unfortunately, Coman did not recover in time and the WR caught the ball inside our 5 yard line. Meanwhile, Market never left his zone even though he saw that Coman was beaten and no other receivers were in the area. In Market's case it was either doing what your coach tells you to do or poor decision making on his part.

EdDawg
09-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Realistically, a defense can only jam 2 maybe 3 receivers on a play with the formations we were using. Southern would have still had receivers getting open from us playing deep cover 2.

Although our dline was doing well getting a good push, Diaz would not have jam the receivers without using some of his blitz packages. There would have been a small risk to jamming their receivers and seems as though we didn't really want to risk it without blitzing.

Now, all of that will change next week, because we will need to do a few risky plays but that's the way Diaz plays defense.

BossDawg
09-06-2015, 07:43 PM

I could be completely wrong, but my gut tells me we will see a completely different State team against LSU. I'm pretty sure Southern threw the kitchen sink at us, on the road, and we still got out alive. I wouldn't panic just yet.