PDA

View Full Version : Diaz

EdDawg
09-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Everyone should know by now that we were playing vanilla on defense almost all night. Whether that was the right decision could be argue all week, but it is what it is.

Now if for some reason people don't believe we were playing vanilla, watch the replay. I've have seen several 3rd down plays where Diaz is not giving any signals. He seemed like he was just watching a game. I don't say that to knock him, just stating the fact that we weren't showing any blitz packages or any attacking D.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 02:10 PM
We def played vanilla- I cant see us playing a ton us deep cover 2 looks. We blitzed a few times to force throws- especially on 3rd downs.

Needs to be better this week.

godlluB
09-06-2015, 02:21 PM
So is playing vanilla why our secondary always seemed to be 10 yards away when a receiver caught the ball? I just have a hard time believing we intentionally played that soft all night in the backfield.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Does playing vanilla mean leaving the middle of the field wide open all night? As frustrating as it was, I assume leaving the underneath stuff open was part of us playing vanilla, but the passes over the middle worry me.

EdDawg
09-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Our dline got pressure a good but by themselves, but now think about how much pressure we would have got if we mixed up blitzes.

Several times Mullins was able to sit back and find a receiver. That would not happen if we were moving around. In 2010, we were always moving before the snap, but last night other than the LBs walking up we didn't move around. Mullins was able to see what we were doing before the snap.

That's why we looked so bad in the secondary. We will be moving around next week and confusing Harris.

My one big concern for next week is guarding against the onside kick. We looked lost on that part of special teams.

DanDority
09-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Playing Vanilla MAY have been why we didn't tackle well? but I doubt it. I am not impressed with Richie Brown at all! I know some on here love the guy but he missed tackle after tackle last night and #7 for LSU WILL be a lot harder to bring down than anyone for USM. Count on that.

aerodawg
09-06-2015, 02:51 PM
So is playing vanilla why our secondary always seemed to be 10 yards away when a receiver caught the ball? I just have a hard time believing we intentionally played that soft all night in the backfield.

Playing vanilla means playing zone and keeping everything in front of you. If you noticed last night we didn't have a single guy get burnt. Their offense is really good against a soft zone like we were playing because they have 4-5 guys running routes to get in a hole in the zone. When the danger got real toward the redzone we buckled down and didn't let them have those free plays. As much as I hate it, and everyone hates it, we were basically playing prevent defense as far as the secondary was concerned. That was not Diaz's style back when he was here in 2010 and I don't expect it to be a common gameplan in any of our SEC games.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

they run a west coast offense which is set up to pass. You have to play a zone defense. They are going to make catches in that offense. YOu just have to tackle them when they do. That was our biggest problem last night was missed tackles. As bad as we played the the average starting field position they had they only scored 16 points. We'll be fine.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 03:10 PM
We've been vanilla since 2011. I'm tired of it.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2015, 03:20 PM
We've been vanilla since 2011. I'm tired of it.

Amen! this ***** ass scheme is probably why we tackle like pussies.

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I just finished watching the game again, it that was vanilla then Im intrigued what we will do most of the season. He brought blitzes from several different spots at different times, I also liked how he did have different alignments several times.

There were just times where we simply got beat. They went opposite Redmond a ton. I actually didn't mind the game plan, the tackling was shit several times though;

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Against USM you have to cover because the QB, in their scheme, rarely holds the ball long enough to get to get the sack unless a guy just comes totally free on the rush.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I just finished watching the game again, it that was vanilla then Im intrigued what we will do most of the season. He brought blitzes from several different spots at different times, I also liked how he did have different alignments several times.

There were just times where we simply got beat. They went opposite Redmond a ton. I actually didn't mind the game plan, the tackling was shit several times though;

We missed Calhoun a LOT last night.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Against USM you have to cover because the QB, in their scheme, rarely holds the ball long enough to get to get the sack unless a guy just comes totally free on the rush.

You mean like the time AJ destroyed their RB who was "blocking"?

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
You mean like the time AJ destroyed their RB who was "blocking"?

Yea, we had a couple of sacks, just making the point that the USM scheme intends to hit short passes with the QB getting the ball out quickly. If Mullins had sat in the pocket as long as Dak did on some of our slow developing deep passes we would probably have had 7 or 8 sacks.