PDA

View Full Version : Player evals

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Thought I would give my thoughts on a few guys, good and bad. Feel free to add others to this list. Let's not bash anyone. Keep it clean.

Guys that I thought played well:

Defense:
AJ Jefferson - He's a man
Ryan Brown - Was in the backfield a lot
Chris Jones - Has a chip, looked really good
Nick James - Played with a good motor
(As you can see, I thought our DL looked good all the way across)

Redmond - Whichever "experts" said he needed to work on tackling, should retire. He looked great tackling. And he looked as great as always when in man coverage. Our zone continues to suck, even with a new DC.

Offense:
Justin Johnson - Going to be a good un
Jesse Jackson - He got open a lot, but Dak kept missing him. Appears to be a good route runner. I was surprised to see him, and no Donald Gray?

Players I think need to step it up:

Defense:
Diaz - Wtf was that scheme in the secondary? Allowing a 10 yard cushion, not adjusting to the quick WR screen, having the same holes in the zone play after play? Manny better tighten up, Bc that was a very very disappointing debut IMO. He talked about our defense being agressive and tackling well this year...yet our secondary played on its heels all night and the whole defense tackled like shit. Tighten up Manny.

Zach Jackson - I just think it may be time to move forward. I like Zach a lot, but he's not the answer at LB. too many missed tackles, too slow to react to passes in the flat, and poor in pass coverage. That's a bad combo.
Richie - gotta tackle better
Cleveland - DJ Thompson is either All World, or Cleveland needs major work.

Offense:
Dak - looked bad throwing it. Maybe we shouldn't have given all his reps to youngsters this off season. He looks like a guy that hasn't passed a ton this Fall. I think he will be fine, but need it to start now.
DeRunnya - Looked disinterested, but blocked well. His routes are not crisp at all for a guy that supposedly worked on route running all summer. Poor body language. I hope he hasn't let the preseason pub go to his head.
Ross - got open a lot, but dropped several, the punt was a disaster, and Dak missed him several times. He'll be fine, but needs to tighten up ASAP.
Shumpert - it's early, but I hated what I saw last night...and y'all know I'm a big Shumpert guy. He looked like he was running on ice out there. I'm worried that we don't have a back with a quick first step. We're slow in acceleration back there. Hopefully this changes.
Rufus - Scary seeing him get beat by a USM DE like he did a few times. This is the most concerning thing on O, followed by our running back.

All in all, I didn't expect to see so many things that need fixing after one game...but we have em. The benefit is that we should no longer be cocky, and we can't take the week off. We know we have to be better next week. Home field should help