PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- We Won Edition

Coach34
09-06-2015, 10:19 AM
1. We won by 18 points last night on the road and it should have been more than 18. So there's that. We played an improved Nasty Bunch team. They wont be conference champs by any stretch of the imagination- but that team is improved from last year. No doubt about it. They threw the kitchen sink at us. It was their Egg Bowl- and we took their best shot. Got to be happy about the way we stayed calm and handled it all. We scored 34 points and everybody is pissed. Think about that for a second.

2. The Shumpert fumble, the misplayed punt, and corresponding onside kick allowed the Nasty Bunch to run 30 plays to our 4 to begin the game. That wears on your D and hampers the rhythm of your offense. It totally changed the momentum of the game. We will obviously be working more on rugby style punts and onside kick coverage this week.

3. Fred Ross cant drop passes like he did last night. He had a rough start to the season between those and the misplayed punt. Things happen but he has got to play big if he is the player people expect him to be. The drop off the Prescott scramble cost us points. Tighten up Fred.

4. Dan Mullen and his bullshit gameplan. 1st half consisted on 14 passes and 8 runs. We run the spread option offense- run the GD spread option. Prescott had 1 carry in the 1st half. Thats not our offense. You dont run him to death- but the QB has to run the ball a few times to take pressure off the TB. Thats what the entire run game is based on. #RTGDF

5. Prescott was off obviously. Ball sailed on him a few times causing him to miss some open WR's or get the ball in the window it needed to be in. He has to be better this Saturday. No two ways around it. It was like he hasnt practiced enough and was rusty. Not the way we should have started the season.

6. Why did it take until the 4th Q to get the ball to Wilson? Thats just poor playcalling right there. Shirley this was to "hide" things from LSU and not just stupidity. Wilson has gone against the best CB's in the country- so it damn sure wasnt a case of the Nasty Bunch taking him out of the game. Get the ball to your best offensive players Dan- things will turn out better for you.

7. Shump was ok last night but that fumble cant happen. Changed the whole complexion of the game. 7-0 out the chute and that ballgame goes differently. Stepping out of bounds and not being able to control his body to get another 1st down in the 3rd was big too. Got to be better this Saturday. No excuse in Williams and Lee not playing until the last minute of the 4th Q. None at all. Shump goes down- we have to have guys ready to play. And I dont mean Holloway.

8. O-Line was decent last night. We averaged 7.3 per carry. Wasnt alot of pressure on Dakota- but he did get sacked once. Rufus let the guy get leverage on him and the DE bulled him back. Tighten up Rufus- it doesnt get anything but tougher next week. We allowed penetration at times and we had good holes at times. Part of our problem is the QB making the corret read. When you run the read option and you make the wrong read- the TB is gonna get blown up. Thats why Dakota cant just run the ball once in the 1st half. You cant just decide to hand it off no matter what. It doesnt work like that.

9. Our DL was the bright spot. Jones and James were what I expected them to be. So were Ry and AJ. The back-up DL got alot of work in and played solid football. Great goalline stand- I knew they werent running it in on us. Jones was the player he is supposed to be last night. Nothing but excitement for this group. But they better get crunk, be hyped, or be bout it bout it next Saturday. For real doe

10. LB play was decent. Richie needs to tackle better but he was on the spot alot. They didnt do a very good job of getting in the passing lanes for the QB. But not real worried about this group either. We only gave up 16 points on D and 3 of it was gifted. And we played a ton of plays in the 1st quarter.

11. Secondary needs to get better. Cleveland aint Calhoun but he is what we got. Jiles played ok- glad he is back. We played the safeties deep as hell all night. Please tell this isnt our plan for the season. We allowed the Nasty Bunch to throw that intermediate middle slant all night. Safety needs to get a piece of that instead of getting there after the catch. Was a very vanilla look for their QB. Again, I cant believe we will play this way vs LSU.

12. Graves looked good kicking the ball. Thank you. We are 14-16 on FG's since the beginning of last season.

13. Overall, we just didnt play with alot of juice. The Nasty Bunch did. And we still won by 18 on the road. We had drops, fumbles, stupid penalties to keep their drives going (lined up offsides twice- seriously????)- just alot of things we have to clean up. Should be alot more focus this Saturday and a much better performance. Should be alot more getting the ball to Wilson, should be more Prescott runs, should be less drops, should be more of #RTGDF, should be 11 people knocking #7's ass off. Should be. Will we? Six more days to find out.

HailState39110
09-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Agree with most all your points. We didn't play a 'clean game'. Some of it had to do with us such as the drop by Ross, Dak over throwing simple screen passes, Cleveland with a dumb personal foul, etc.

We also need to realize that USM had something to do with it . They ran a double reverse pass, a flea flicker, 2 onside kicks, their punter aiming at our players backs with low line drive punts , etc to cause us to look a little unorganized . Our defense also said USM came out this year in different formations than what they had practiced all week and caused some confusion .

We won by 18 on the road to a team playing their biggest game of the year . A team hosting the biggest opponent to play their in about 10 years. I wasn't expecting a game like last year and thought the game would play out exactly like it did .

Most of the mistakes we saw can be corrected. My biggest concern is how wide open some of the USM recievers were last night . I hope Calhoun coming back helps our secondary and some of the younger safeties such as Bryant and Peters grow up quickly . Good to see Graves kick 2 good looking FGs.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 10:42 AM
FYI-

Jenkins and Carter played- Rankin did not
Leo did not dress and appears to be redshirting

Saltydog
09-06-2015, 10:42 AM
kill LSU and marked it up as an automatic W. Those expectations may be somewhat tempered now and I remain "cautiously optimistic". We'll have to play our best to beat them.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 10:43 AM
We also held them to 2.8 ypc even with the 40 yard run they had last night.

shoeless joe
09-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Was disappointed by the secondary...if last nite was a preview of the year in that area then we will lose at least 4 games.

Dak was off but he wasn't helped out any...Ross and bear both dropped passes that woulda made everything look better, including the score.

D line is filthy.

I also woulda like to have seen the younger RBs get some more touches.

Bottom line: win next week and no one cares one bit about how last nite looked.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 10:57 AM
kill LSU and marked it up as an automatic W. Those expectations may be somewhat tempered now and I remain "cautiously optimistic". We'll have to play our best to beat them.

Right now, if I'm being honest, I'm not even optimistic.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Right now, if I'm being honest, I'm not even optimistic.

why not? Our run D looked good

7dawg
09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Did we just do situational subs or all out 1a/1b subs. I didn't catch it if we did the all out subs.

chef dixon
09-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Where was yalls boy Donald Gray last night?

We played some strange personnel last night. J Johnson looked like a pro for a true freshman last night.

NCDawg
09-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Agree about our secondary. Harris almost pulled out the LSU game last year by burning our secondary. I'm sure he's licking his chops after seeing our secondary's performance last night.

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 11:06 AM
That USM back had a lot of burst through our D-line on plays that should have been stopped more easily. It was clear on some of those calls they were running up the middle, still managed to get 3+ yards on plays I would have liked to see no yardage on. I think we looked best than most of our fans would admit to, but I still felt like it was the old "bend but don't break" D rather than really attacking the QB. D-line showed up though, won't be surprised at all to see AJ Jefferson getting a few SEC defensive player of the week nods this year.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Did we just do situational subs or all out 1a/1b subs. I didn't catch it if we did the all out subs.

1B is dead

HoopsDawg
09-06-2015, 11:18 AM

4 yards per carry against USM (when you take out the sack yards) is not stellar. LB's weren't really plugging the holes either.

Jacksondevildog
09-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Im not so sure about that. We will continue to make hockey style subs vs the coonasses and it will cost us.
1B is dead

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I saw a lot of rusty mistakes and first game errors last night. But my biggest concern is that we didn't have a RB step up and take control. If Shump is our best, he needs to knock off the cobwebs and take control. Our offense is only as good as its running game. I like how Dak trimmed up..... he's picked up some quickness in the pocket. But again, Holloway led our team in rushing with 51 yards. Shump had 8 carries for 38 yards..... that's not gonna hack it.

Fred Ross made some key mistakes yesterday, but he ended the night with 5 catches for 75 yards. Bear had 1 catch for 42 yards, and it was off his bread and butter route..... the one-on-one deep slot. Nobody can cover him on that route.

As of punting, Cooke is something special. He would have hit the giant monitor at Dallas Stadium with that one punt our team forgot to look at..... he's got a hell of a leg.

But to put it best, we were out of sync. Our defense was on the field too much, our offense seemed like they were still on the practice field at times, and we didn't #RTGDF enough. 28 rushes to 38 passes! Dak had 38 pass attempts, yet he barely had the ball for 20 minutes. That is unacceptable. If we are to win more games, we need to control the line of scrimmage by running the ball. Hopefully, Dear will grasp the playbook as the season progresses. We need him desperately on those option sweeps. We need a back that can make cuts and square his shoulders. Shump still runs like a safety who intercepted the ball. He needs to learn to use both hands, square his shoulders, and dive for yards instead of standing up each hit. But again, he's our best option right now.

As for our secondary, we're in trouble. And it's not with assignments or coverage. It's with communication. Our safeties are too quiet. The Brown's, Redmond, and Cleveland were the only one's assessing coverage and lane assignments. Our safeties were stone cold quiet last night. Coman and Market need to grab the reigns and dictate more pre snap. Market isn't the only undersized safety to play big boy football. A lot of you probably don't remember, but Iowa used to have a converted running back turned safety that was 5'8" and about 190lbs. This guy was all over the field and smashed heads every game. He later got drafted by the Colts, and Bob Sanders became one of their best safeties ever. Market has potential and the will to succeed. He needs to get that damn chip off of his shoulder and start knocking some heads. We don't need to play it safe anymore. We need the opposing receivers to fear crossing through the middle of our defense. Bend don't break? Screw that..... we need to break the opposing team.

1bigdawg
09-06-2015, 11:22 AM
The was no excuse for Shumpert's fumble. He was not holding it high and tight, making it easy to strip. A Junior......?

HoopsDawg
09-06-2015, 11:22 AM
FYI-

Jenkins and Carter played- Rankin did not
Leo did not dress and appears to be redshirting

The only true freshman that played were: Justin Johnson, Malik Dear, and Jamal Peters (special teams)

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
The only true freshman that played were: Justin Johnson, Malik Dear, and Jamal Peters (special teams)

McLaurin won't redshirt either. He may not have played, but he will be on the field this year.

Saltydog
09-06-2015, 11:44 AM
use Shump for pass blocking and special teams.........

mcdawg
09-06-2015, 11:47 AM
1. We won by 18 points last night on the road and it should have been more than 18. So there's that. We played an improved Nasty Bunch team. They wont be conference champs by any stretch of the imagination- but that team is improved from last year. No doubt about it. They threw the kitchen sink at us. It was their Egg Bowl- and we took their best shot. Got to be happy about the way we stayed calm and handled it all. We scored 34 points and everybody is pissed. Think about that for a second.

2. The Shumpert fumble, the misplayed punt, and corresponding onside kick allowed the Nasty Bunch to run 30 plays to our 4 to begin the game. That wears on your D and hampers the rhythm of your offense. It totally changed the momentum of the game. We will obviously be working more on rugby style punts and onside kick coverage this week.

3. Fred Ross cant drop passes like he did last night. He had a rough start to the season between those and the misplayed punt. Things happen but he has got to play big if he is the player people expect him to be. The drop off the Prescott scramble cost us points. Tighten up Fred.

4. Dan Mullen and his bullshit gameplan. 1st half consisted on 14 passes and 8 runs. We run the spread option offense- run the GD spread option. Prescott had 1 carry in the 1st half. Thats not our offense. You dont run him to death- but the QB has to run the ball a few times to take pressure off the TB. Thats what the entire run game is based on. #RTGDF

5. Prescott was off obviously. Ball sailed on him a few times causing him to miss some open WR's or get the ball in the window it needed to be in. He has to be better this Saturday. No two ways around it. It was like he hasnt practiced enough and was rusty. Not the way we should have started the season.

6. Why did it take until the 4th Q to get the ball to Wilson? Thats just poor playcalling right there. Shirley this was to "hide" things from LSU and not just stupidity. Wilson has gone against the best CB's in the country- so it damn sure wasnt a case of the Nasty Bunch taking him out of the game. Get the ball to your best offensive players Dan- things will turn out better for you.

7. Shump was ok last night but that fumble cant happen. Changed the whole complexion of the game. 7-0 out the chute and that ballgame goes differently. Stepping out of bounds and not being able to control his body to get another 1st down in the 3rd was big too. Got to be better this Saturday. No excuse in Williams and Lee not playing until the last minute of the 4th Q. None at all. Shump goes down- we have to have guys ready to play. And I dont mean Holloway.

8. O-Line was decent last night. We averaged 7.3 per carry. Wasnt alot of pressure on Dakota- but he did get sacked once. Rufus let the guy get leverage on him and the DE bulled him back. Tighten up Rufus- it doesnt get anything but tougher next week. We allowed penetration at times and we had good holes at times. Part of our problem is the QB making the corret read. When you run the read option and you make the wrong read- the TB is gonna get blown up. Thats why Dakota cant just run the ball once in the 1st half. You cant just decide to hand it off no matter what. It doesnt work like that.

9. Our DL was the bright spot. Jones and James were what I expected them to be. So were Ry and AJ. The back-up DL got alot of work in and played solid football. Great goalline stand- I knew they werent running it in on us. Jones was the player he is supposed to be last night. Nothing but excitement for this group. But they better get crunk, be hyped, or be bout it bout it next Saturday. For real doe

10. LB play was decent. Richie needs to tackle better but he was on the spot alot. They didnt do a very good job of getting in the passing lanes for the QB. But not real worried about this group either. We only gave up 16 points on D and 3 of it was gifted. And we played a ton of plays in the 1st quarter.

11. Secondary needs to get better. Cleveland aint Calhoun but he is what we got. Jiles played ok- glad he is back. We played the safeties deep as hell all night. Please tell this isnt our plan for the season. We allowed the Nasty Bunch to throw that intermediate middle slant all night. Safety needs to get a piece of that instead of getting there after the catch. Was a very vanilla look for their QB. Again, I cant believe we will play this way vs LSU.

12. Graves looked good kicking the ball. Thank you. We are 14-16 on FG's since the beginning of last season.

13. Overall, we just didnt play with alot of juice. The Nasty Bunch did. And we still won by 18 on the road. We had drops, fumbles, stupid penalties to keep their drives going (lined up offsides twice- seriously????)- just alot of things we have to clean up. Should be alot more focus this Saturday and a much better performance. Should be alot more getting the ball to Wilson, should be more Prescott runs, should be less drops, should be more of #RTGDF, should be 11 people knocking #7's ass off. Should be. Will we? Six more days to find out.

Good overview. #7 and #10 and #11 are key. #7 was the big one for me - Shump is not a SEC back. Yes, he doesn't need to fumble, but he should have walked into the end zone - getting caught was the issue. And, twice he stepped out of bounds before the 1st down marker because he lacks balance. Then, he has 5 yards of steam running from the 10, and he gets stood up by a safety and knocked backwards - because he runs straight up and doesn't keep his pads low. And, he NEVER can make a guy miss in the open field because he has no moves. We miss JRob and better find a back that is good enough. #10 - We miss D Wells. The long run by USM went straight thru our weakside LB. Richie is always at the right spot, but people run thru him. #11 - still missed assignments and people running wide open.

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 11:49 AM
use Shump for pass blocking and special teams.........

He's not slow, he's just not controlled enough and disciplined enough to read lanes and hit holes. Williams and Lee are not matured enough in our system. They can run basic plays, but they haven't completely grasped the scheme yet. This may be the first year in a long time where we didn't have a dominate RB that can produce positive yards every time they get the ball. It puts a lot of pressure on Dak's shoulders.

Dallas_Dawg
09-06-2015, 11:50 AM
1. Zach Jackson can't play LB. Where was JT Gray?
2. If Cleveland is our third best corner, we are in trouble. Need to get Rayford or Stamps ready quick.
3. Where was Donald Gray, Aeris and D Lee? If Shump is our best back, we are screwed.
4. Safety play was horrible.
Might as well ride or die with the young guys.
5. Still can't cover the intermediate middle of the field. Evan Engram is going to kill us again if we can't get that figured out.
6. Dak needs to wash off that Wayne Madkin-Esque rust from last night and set his feet and throw the ball.

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 11:56 AM
1. Zach Jackson can't play LB. Where was JT Gray?
2. If Cleveland is our third best corner, we are in trouble. Need to get Rayford or Stamps ready quick.
3. Where was Donald Gray, Aeris and D Lee? If Shump is our best back, we are screwed.
5. Still can't cover the intermediate middle of the field. Evan Engram is going to kill us again if we can't get that figured out.
6. Dak needs to wash off that Wayne Madkin-Esque rust from last night and set his feet and throw the ball.

Donald Gray played..... he was a receiver. Aeris and D Lee have a lot of learning to do.

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Evan Engram ain't gonna do anything this year except get his d*** knocked in the dirt. I'll be shocked if he's a factor at all in our house, Diaz will take him out of the game for sure and make someone else beat us. Last night's scheme was a non-scheme (vanilla Cover 2) so you can't make too many assumptions.

BulldogBear
09-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Was disappointed by the secondary...if last nite was a preview of the year in that area then we will lose at least 4 games.

Dak was off but he wasn't helped out any...Ross and bear both dropped passes that woulda made everything look better, including the score.

D line is filthy.

Except for certain analysts. We were 9-0 and ranked #1 and all they could talk about sone times even then in November was the UAB game. This game will be brought up during sec cc pregame if we are there! Some of them live to hate us.

Now as for our folks. All but a few negative Nancy's will forget this game if we win next week.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Offense didn't look in sync, not much of a running game, Dak throwing over people's head, WRs dropping passes, defense playing way off WRs and not getting the opposing offense off the field, special teams turning the ball over (or nearso when you have to go chase the ball down back at the 5). Yes, I know it was the first game and on the road at that but we will need a lot better effort to even have a shot at beating LSU.

drunkernhelldawg
09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I wish we had a big back that we rotated in some. I don't see Shump breaking tackles at the los. Like his quickness. Amazing how he left the football unprotected on that fumble..

AROB44
09-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Aeris and D Lee have a lot of learning to do.

They have been there a year....surely they learned something. Can't wait until everybody is a junior before they become major contributors. Either they are good or they are not.

BTW...looked to me like we were not in the majority in the stands. Buzzards found a hell of a lot more than 10 fans.

chef dixon
09-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Mullen put together a gameplay that he thought would get the job done but I'm not really sure what he was doing. Hopefully he was being vanilla, but its hard to tell sometimes with his use of personnel. It almost backfired in our face the way the first half went. I mean we were seeing a lot of players on the field that no one on this board was mentioning would play meaningful snaps. Justin Johnson, Jesse Jackson, Malik Dear, lots of Holloway. No D Lee or A Williams, very little Donald Gray, players which the board has been discussing in length for months about their contribution. I will add that if we are going to be riding Holloway in the run game the way we did last night it is going to be a long season.

Also I don't think the defense was all that bad last night. They basically played the entirety of the competitive portion of the game without rest. The wide open intermediate passing is of course the major concern. Safety seems like its going to sketchy all season long.

HSVDawg
09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Donald Gray played..... he was a receiver. Aeris and D Lee have a lot of learning to do.

It doesn't really matter how much learning they have to do. If Shump puts the ball on the ground again like he did last night, he's gonna be riding the pine for the rest of the season. If he gets hurt, same deal. At least one of them has to be ready to go and the only way to get them ready is to give them reps.

Where'sWaldo
09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
This offense can't be successful with Shumpert as the main back. I started multiple threads over the summer and was bashed because "we always have a good rb". We will give up some points so we better be able to score. I don't care if Lee can't block at all he needs to be in the game when we need to run the ball.

PMDawg
09-06-2015, 12:57 PM
1B is dead

This is simply not true. We 1B'd all night. There were at least 4 series where I counted 9 or more backups in at one time. There were other times with up to 6.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 01:06 PM
This is simply not true. We 1B'd all night. There were at least 4 series where I counted 9 or more backups in at one time. There were other times with up to 6.

Yea, there was some guy playing DT last night a good bit that was number 49, believe he was a white guy and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Torrey Dale (49 on the roster). Who was that?

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 01:08 PM

Tons of even true freshman across the country playing a lot at RB. These guys are RS freshman and they still have too much to learn to get meaningful reps?

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:09 PM
49 is Torrey Dale.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 01:16 PM
49 is Torrey Dale.

So he was playing in the interior line last night? I thought he was DE but he was playing DT last night with his hand on the ground.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2015, 01:18 PM

And you come to this conclusion how?

DanDority
09-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I was glad to get out with a W, but our tackling (Ri. Brown) was atrocious! Our secondary is not very good. Dak couldn't have looked worse in his Heisman coming out party! In saying all this I hope it gets cleaned up.

mic
09-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Yes we played 2nd and 3rd team guys.. But it wasn't 10-11 at one time like previous years..
We had 1's with 2's and so on..

shoeless joe
09-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Except for certain analysts. We were 9-0 and ranked #1 and all they could talk about sone times even then in November was the UAB game. This game will be brought up during sec cc pregame if we are there! Some of them live to hate us.

Now as for our folks. All but a few negative Nancy's will forget this game if we win next week.

But did it keep us from being #1 in the polls and in the playoff rankings? Who gives a crap what some idiot talking heads have to say. Where it mattered we were at the top, and if we beat LSU, auburn, and A&M again we'll be there again. However, some things need to be fixed for us to do those things.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 01:48 PM

We rotated people- but we never put in a new 11. Have to rotate people in today's hurry-up football. No choice. But 6 subs in doesnt make it 1B

Coach34
09-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Tons of even true freshman across the country playing a lot at RB. These guys are RS freshman and they still have too much to learn to get meaningful reps?

This. If Aeris and D-Lee arent ready to play- thats a coaching problem.

dawgoneyall
09-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Shump just doesn't have that it factor. His center gravity or something is to high. When he went out of bounds most running backs could have planted and cut back some. He just can't and he goes down too easily on first contact from the side.

PMDawg
09-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Yes we played 2nd and 3rd team guys.. But it wasn't 10-11 at one time like previous years..
We had 1's with 2's and so on..

Go back and watch. It was most definitely 9 or more plenty of times.

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Go back and watch. It was most definitely 9 or more plenty of times.

Yes, in the 4th quarter, we ran with 9 defensive players that were not starters. But our starters rotated in groups for the most part of the first half. There weren't any NHL team exchanges going on this time around. But what did surprise me after rewatching some of the game is seeing G. Green playing in Zach Jackson's rotation. I have a strange feeling that Green may start a few games in place of Jackson this year at OLB. We may even go as far as pulling Leo's redshirt if he can really start progressing.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 03:36 PM
1. This is OUR state. We made them a non-factor for at least the next 25 years.

2. We need Gray or Deddrick Thomas returning punts. Or even Holloway. Dan said we had about nine first year guys on the kick return team. That's irresponsible. And that's where Coman and Zach Jackson (who is already there) need to be.

3. I agree with you about Ross's muffed punt getting in his head and affecting him at slot WR. He needs to just be the slot guy. Let someone else worry about returning punts. And if he keeps dropping passes, we need to move Gray to slot. Oh, but we're going to be cute and let him play outside WR.

4. I agree about letting Dak run and running the ball. But I'm afraid the reality is we are going to throw it a lot more than you like this year. Just get ready.

5. Dak has to quit worrying about the Heisman, the NFL and whatever else and just play ball. To me it looked like he was trying to make the "perfect pass" at times.

6. Who knows? Oh- and Bear in the slot pretty much is a mismatch on anyone in America. We do it once and get 42 yards out of it. It would be nice to see more of that. Like at least five times a game.

7. The reality is Holloway is going to play a lot more than any of us would like. And Lee and Williams are going to play a lot less than any of us would like. It's just what Dan does- and it feared that this would happen all off season. No excuse for the Shumpert fumble.

8. Trying not to run Dak probably actually was in the gameplan. Unfortunately we were sloppy and had to let him run so that we could win. One of the rare times Dan didn't have his head up his ass.

9. And D-line is one of the few units on the team where we actually play and start our best players. It shouldn't shock anyone that they were good. Imagine what would happen if we actually did that with our LB's and safeties rather than play the upperclassmen who work hard in practice and are nice?

10. Zach Jackson needs to sit. Gerri Green needs to play Will. Beniquez needs to play Mike. Richie needs to play Sam. JT Gray needs to play against spread teams. But Zach Jackson has been here for five years, so logically he starts.

11. I have a feeling we will see deep safeties all year. We've this before. Coman is who I said he was. Market is a good player, but he had a horrific injury. Again, Dan needs to get his head out of his ass and play Peters and McLaurin. Even though they are freshmen.

12. I wonder if Graves was actually better than Sobiesk last year? The way we handle personnel, it wouldn't shock me. His range is obviously a lot better than Sobes.

13. We're going to lose because Dan won't get his head out of his ass and actually play the best people. Probably on special teams mistakes. And I'm already pissed off about it. And as far as the way we played- I thought we were arrogant, cocky, boorish, and just disrespectful to the game of football and Mississippi State University. We have too many people patting our guys on the backs because I guess losing to Alabama, Ole Miss, and your bowl game is acceptable to a lot of our fans. We have a BAD attitude problem.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, in the 4th quarter, we ran with 9 defensive players that were not starters. But our starters rotated in groups for the most part of the first half. There weren't any NHL team exchanges going on this time around. But what did surprise me after rewatching some of the game is seeing G. Green playing in Zach Jackson's rotation. I have a strange feeling that Green may start a few games in place of Jackson this year at OLB. We may even go as far as pulling Leo's redshirt if he can really start progressing.

After we lose to LSU because Jackson, Coman, and Market look clueless, there better be some changes.

I wouldn't play Green in Jackson's spot personally- but at least our best LB will all be on the field at the same time.

dawgs
09-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Im not so sure about that. We will continue to make hockey style subs vs the coonasses and it will cost us.

the announcers talked about mullen saying the 1a/1b stufff wasn't happening this year. i also didn't notice it throughout the game except maybe in the 4th quarter once the game was in control.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2015, 03:52 PM

2. We need Gray or Deddrick Thomas returning punts. Or even Holloway. Dan said we had about nine first year guys on the kick return team. That's irresponsible. And that's where Coman and Zach Jackson (who is already there) need to be.

3. I agree with you about Ross's muffed punt getting in his head and affecting him at slot WR. He needs to just be the slot guy. Let someone else worry about returning punts. And if he keeps dropping passes, we need to move Gray to slot. Oh, but we're going to be cute and let him play outside WR.

4. I agree about letting Dak run and running the ball. But I'm afraid the reality is we are going to throw it a lot more than you like this year. Just get ready.

5. Dak has to quit worrying about the Heisman, the NFL and whatever else and just play ball. To me it looked like he was trying to make the "perfect pass" at times.

6. Who knows? Oh- and Bear in the slot pretty much is a mismatch on anyone in America. We do it once and get 42 yards out of it. It would be nice to see more of that. Like at least five times a game.

7. The reality is Holloway is going to play a lot more than any of us would like. And Lee and Williams are going to play a lot less than any of us would like. It's just what Dan does- and it feared that this would happen all off season. No excuse for the Shumpert fumble.

8. Trying not to run Dak probably actually was in the gameplan. Unfortunately we were sloppy and had to let him run so that we could win. One of the rare times Dan didn't have his head up his ass.

9. And D-line is one of the few units on the team where we actually play and start our best players. It shouldn't shock anyone that they were good. Imagine what would happen if we actually did that with our LB's and safeties rather than play the upperclassmen who work hard in practice and are nice?

10. Zach Jackson needs to sit. Gerri Green needs to play Will. Beniquez needs to play Mike. Richie needs to play Sam. JT Gray needs to play against spread teams. But Zach Jackson has been here for five years, so logically he starts.

11. I have a feeling we will see deep safeties all year. We've this before. Coman is who I said he was. Market is a good player, but he had a horrific injury. Again, Dan needs to get his head out of his ass and play Peters and McLaurin. Even though they are freshmen.

12. I wonder if Graves was actually better than Sobiesk last year? The way we handle personnel, it wouldn't shock me. His range is obviously a lot better than Sobes.

13. We're going to lose because Dan won't get his head out of his ass and actually play the best people. Probably on special teams mistakes. And I'm already pissed off about it. And as far as the way we played- I thought we were arrogant, cocky, boorish, and just disrespectful to the game of football and Mississippi State University. We have too many people patting our guys on the backs because I guess losing to Alabama, Ole Miss, and your bowl game is acceptable to a lot of our fans. We have a BAD attitude problem.

Pretty much spot on. But guess who will be out there getting run over on saturday? Jackson. Our safeties haven't gotten one **** hair better. They are absolutely horrible. Everytime I saw the statement.. Coman will be our best safety I just cringed. Congrats, he's the tallest midget. Play Peters and McLaurin because they can't be any worse

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 04:07 PM

As for the last two points:

12. Graves certainly has a stronger leg than Sobes. We'll have to see if he can handle the pressure. I liked what I saw last night with him.

13. I don't think there is an attitude problem, but potentially a lack of intensity problem. That being said, there is no better cure than 63,000 maroon fans & a hostile environment next Saturday night. If you think about the Ole Miss game, GT game, & USM, they were all on the road in less than hyped atmospheres. Every team has to find it's own identity & I think ours finds their next Saturday night. We haven't played a big home game in a long time. Really since Arkansas last season

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 04:13 PM

12. Graves certainly has a stronger leg than Sobes. We'll have to see if he can handle the pressure. I liked what I saw last night with him.

13. I don't think there is an attitude problem, but potentially a lack of intensity problem. That being said, there is no better cure than 63,000 maroon fans & a hostile environment next Saturday night. If you think about the Ole Miss game, GT game, & USM, they were all on the road in less than hyped atmospheres. Every team has to find it's own identity & I think ours finds their next Saturday night. We haven't played a big home game in a long time. Really since Arkansas last season

To me, intensity is a component of attitude. I want guys that are going to be ready to kick some ass if they're playing Coahoma CC on the road. If you are playing an in state team and you're MSU- I don't care if it's Valley, Alcorn, JSU, USM or Ole Miss- I expect our guys to be ready to represent us well. NOT treat it like a f******* scrimmage. The guys in the NFL somehow manage to do it for 16+ weeks in a row. We only have to do it for 12.

dawgs
09-06-2015, 04:17 PM
To me, intensity is a component of attitude. I want guys that are going to be ready to kick some ass if they're playing Coahoma CC on the road. If you are playing an in state team and you're MSU- I don't care if it's Valley, Alcorn, JSU, USM or Ole Miss- I expect our guys to be ready to represent us well. NOT treat it like a f******* scrimmage. The guys in the NFL somehow manage to do it for 16+ weeks in a row. We only have to do it for 12.

you're wrong if you think guys in the NFL approach all 16 weeks with super bowl-like intensity.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 04:26 PM
you're wrong if you think guys in the NFL approach all 16 weeks with super bowl-like intensity.

Do they take turns deciding which game to half-ass? No wonder Tommy Kelly has made it so long.**

No, I don't think they treat every game like the Super Bowl, but I guarantee you that they don't go through the motions during regular season games either.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 04:29 PM

This. We can all "wish" our team would play with intensity every week, but it's simply not possible.

Every team only has so much in the gas tank & when it's spent, it's spent.

It's why coaches preach consistency, doing your job, & creating good habits on daily basis. So that when you don't play with intensity, you still win.

I don't have a problem with our intensity last night, because you can't fool players, they knew they were playing against USM (who they beat 49-0 last year), & they knew they had LSU next week. My biggest problem with last night was the lack of fundamentals on things that don't require intensity. Fred Ross' dropped passes and punt had nothing to do with intensity, not being ready for an on-side kick had nothing to do with intensity, Shump fumbling had nothing to do with intensity, being off side on two 3rd downs has nothing to do with intensity. All this has to do with focus & should have been better.

With all this being said, LSU is an "intensity" game & I expect us to play much much better next Saturday night. You don't want your team wasting intensity on USM. Alabama gave up 12 points USM last year at home. If Ross doesn't drop the punt, we do the same.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Do they take turns deciding which game to half-ass? No wonder Tommy Kelly has made it so long.**

No, I don't think they treat every game like the Super Bowl, but I guarantee you that they don't go through the motions during regular season games either.

True, but they are 25 year old professionals that are being paid to play, want to keep their job, & know people will take their job if they stink. This is why competition is so important on a team. Fred Ross & Bear knew they could stink last night & no one was good enough to take their jobs.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 04:50 PM
This. We can all "wish" our team would play with intensity every week, but it's simply not possible.

Every team only has so much in the gas tank & when it's spent, it's spent.

It's why coaches preach consistency, doing your job, & creating good habits on daily basis. So that when you don't play with intensity, you still win.

I don't have a problem with our intensity last night, because you can't fool players, they knew they were playing against USM (who they beat 49-0 last year), & they knew they had LSU next week. My biggest problem with last night was the lack of fundamentals on things that don't require intensity. Fred Ross' dropped passes and punt had nothing to do with intensity, not being ready for an on-side kick had nothing to do with intensity, Shump fumbling had nothing to do with intensity, being off side on two 3rd downs has nothing to do with intensity. All this has to do with focus & should have been better.

With all this being said, LSU is an "intensity" game & I expect us to play much much better next Saturday night. You don't want your team wasting intensity on USM. Alabama gave up 12 points USM last year at home. If Ross doesn't drop the punt, we do the same.

This to me is part of my definition of intensity. Because to me, if you don't have intensity you're not going to do those things right. It's not so much about coming out "fired up". Be ready to come out, do your job and kick ass.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 04:52 PM
True, but they are 25 year old professionals that are being paid to play, want to keep their job, & know people will take their job if they stink. This is why competition is so important on a team. Fred Ross & Bear knew they could stink last night & no one was good enough to take their jobs.

Personally I thought Bear played well. He had a big catch and run the one time he was actually thrown a catchable ball and he made several key blocks on running plays. The way Bear plays is the way I want ALL of our players to play. Yeah, no one is going to take his job. But it didn't matter to him- he still went out and performed at a high level. That's why he is going to the NFL assuming he stays healthy.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Todd, you know i like you, man....but this is a "WTF?" Post. You always think you know more than Mullen about personnel. Personally i think you get too caught up in the next big name. You wanted R Dixon to play "HB" all year last year, saying "you would give him touches" if it were you....well he's no longer even on the team. You say you would play Jenkins over Warren, though you've never even seen Jenkins play...youre admittedly going off of hearsay as to whom you would start at LT. Think about that. Now you're saying you would throw 2 true freshmen in at Safety, which Diaz says is the most crucial position on our defense?

Sorry man, but clearly if you were our coach, YOU would be the one playing all of the wrong people. Whether you wanna admit it or not, they know more than you about who needs to be starting.

We cant let a game against USM make us lose total faith in a coach that won 10 games last year. Especially when we likely played extremely vanilla. At least let Mullen play his chosen starters against a real team before telling him he needs to start a completely different, and unexperienced 11! Ha.

Not trying to be a dick, i promise....I just think it's silly for you to act like we should just throw Peters, McLaurin, Jenkins, Gray, etc in the game when you havent even seen them take one single snap of live action. You simply want them in there because "you heard they looked good". C'mon mane.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Todd, you know i like you, man....but this is a "WTF?" Post. You always think you know more than Mullen about personnel. Personally i think you get too caught up in the next big name. You wanted R Dixon to play "HB" all year last year, saying "you would give him touches" if it were you....well he's no longer even on the team. You say you would play Jenkins over Warren, though you've never even seen Jenkins play...youre admittedly going off of hearsay as to whom you would start at LT. Think about that. Now you're saying you would throw 2 true freshmen in at Safety, which Diaz says is the most crucial position on our defense?

Sorry man, but clearly if you were our coach, YOU would be the one playing all of the wrong people. Whether you wanna admit it or not, they know more than you about who needs to be starting.

We cant let a game against USM make us lose total faith in a coach that won 10 games last year. Especially when we likely played extremely vanilla. At least let Mullen play his chosen starters against a real team before telling him he needs to start a completely different, and unexperienced 11! Ha.

Not trying to be a dick, i promise....I just think it's silly for you to act like we should just throw Peters, McLaurin, Jenkins, Gray, etc in the game when you havent even seen them take one single snap of live action. You simply want them in there because "you heard they looked good". C'mon mane.

So you think Peters and McLaurin could be any worse than what we have out there now? I'm asking a serious question and not being a smartass. I think we can all agree that Peters and McLaurin are the most talented but obviously lack experience. But Tony Connor didn't have any experience and he adjusted just fine after a couple games. I know that Peters is on the same talent level as Connor. I'm looking for a serious answer, Could they be any worse?

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Im watching the replay, and Monken picked on whatever side of our defense had Cleveland and Jackson. Those two had terrible games, and when they were on the same side, USM got an easy throw and catch damn near every time.

And Coman better quit diving at people's legs and start wrapping up. He failed to take down several guys last night, and they could have turned in to big gains because of it.

Apparently Diaz told Coman to not let anyone behind him all night, because there were several plays where Coman started out 14 yds behind the LOS, and ended up 20+ yds downfield before the QB even looked up. That is incredibly deep, and i would be shocked to see that vs LSU. We can't play that loose of a zone....way too spread out, and a huge gap between LB's and Safeties.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:04 PM
So you think Peters and McLaurin could be any worse than what we have out there now? I'm asking a serious question and not being a smartass. I think we can all agree that Peters and McLaurin are the most talented but obviously lack experience. But Tony Connor didn't have any experience and he adjusted just fine after a couple games. I know that Peters is on the same talent level as Connor. I'm looking for a serious answer, Could they be any worse?

YES! They can. This game isnt all about talent. Diaz says that our Saeties are the key to our scheme, and they have to be smart, well versed, and able to communicate. Thats an awful lot to ask of 2 True Freshmen, agree? Too many of you guys think, "good player in highschool = good player at MSU on day 1".....but it isnt that simple. Especially at key positions. Thats why guys like Coman, Jackson, Market, etc are playing.....because they are experienced, wont get rattled, and are used to the speed of college football. AND they're talented. They may not have as much talent as the ones you mention, but they are ahead in the other categories, so they start.

Thats why we could easily see those freshmen's PT increase as they get more used to the speed of the game this season. Its just not as cut and dry as yall try to make it.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 05:11 PM

Only two days after you called me out about Coman? C'mon mane indeed.

But let's blindly trust Dan who played Perkins over Robinson.

I very rarely get caught up in the next big name. Jenkins is not a big name. Dixon was not either- and guess what? We don't have a FB right now on the roster. McLaurin wasn't a huge name. Bear wasn't a huge name at the time when I was singing his praises.

To be honest, I think and HOPE the coaches know more than me. I think the issue is they see a guy like Coman that works hard in practice and does everything right and they WANT to see him be rewarded for that in the form of football glory, stardom- whatever word you want to use. So, they try to force what they want to see happen when the reality is they unintentionally hurt us.

I don't see what the problem with starting or playing freshmen/new players is? And as far as "heard they looked good"- I've seen most of them play live and in person except for Jenkins and Gray. So, I'm not sure what your issue there is. Of course I'm also the guy that was lambasted for saying that Dylan Favre was 5'8" and not 5'10" or whatever he was listed at as well.

And if I am "wrong" on any of my guys- I'll be the first to admit it. At the very least there is nothing wrong with trying to see if those new players help us.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 05:16 PM
YES! They can. This game isnt all about talent. Diaz says that our Saeties are the key to our scheme, and they have to be smart, well versed, and able to communicate. Thats an awful lot to ask of 2 True Freshmen, agree? Too many of you guys think, "good player in highschool = good player at MSU on day 1".....but it isnt that simple. Especially at key positions. Thats why guys like Coman, Jackson, Market, etc are playing.....because they are experienced, wont get rattled, and are used to the speed of college football. AND they're talented. They may not have as much talent as the ones you mention, but they are ahead in the other categories, so they start.

Thats why we could easily see those freshmen's PT increase as they get more used to the speed of the game this season. Its just not as cut and dry as yall try to make it.

This is a WAY more WTF post than the one I made.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:23 PM

I very rarely get caught up in the next big name. Jenkins is not a big name. Dixon was not either- and guess what? We don't have a FB right now on the roster. McLaurin wasn't a huge name. Bear wasn't a huge name at the time when I was singing his praises.

To be honest, I think and HOPE the coaches know more than me. I think the issue is they see a guy like Coman that works hard in practice and does everything right and they WANT to see him be rewarded for that in the form of football glory, stardom- whatever word you want to use. So, they try to force what they want to see happen when the reality is they unintentionally hurt us.

I don't see what the problem with starting or playing freshmen/new players is? And as far as "heard they looked good"- I've seen most of them play live and in person except for Jenkins and Gray. So, I'm not sure what your issue there is. Of course I'm also the guy that was lambasted for saying that Dylan Favre was 5'8" and not 5'10" or whatever he was listed at as well.

And if I am "wrong" on any of my guys- I'll be the first to admit it. At the very least there is nothing wrong with trying to see if those new players help us.

1. Not sure what the Coman thing has to do with it. Thats the same shit youre doing now. Jumping the gun on a player, and wanting him to replace him with a guy you havent seen play. Not sure your point.

2. I highly doubt Mullen is just rewarding players for practice efforts....and if he is, it led to 10 wins last year, so....

3. No you havent seen them play. Not live snaps against college teams. No you havent. Because they havent. You want to throw a guy out there at safety because he's got talent, a high rating, and was a star for Bassfield against other ?A highschool teams. That is FAR from "seeing these guys play live snaps" before.

4. You say that about not seeing Gray live and in person, yet you repeatedly say that Gray is a slot guy that we're trying to be cute with, and make an outside guy. So what are you basing him being a slot guy on, if youve never seen him? His size? Yes, more than likely.

Again, I dont know why you get so defensive, I'm just saying there's more to our personnel than just throwing the guy that you heard played well in there.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 05:23 PM
So you think Peters and McLaurin could be any worse than what we have out there now?

oh hell yeah they could. Tony Conner played more like an OLB his freshman season

defiantdog
09-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Putting players in because of seniority works if you're winning. If we start losing games and have our most talented players on the bench, then there's a problem. It's reactive coaching, but Mullen tends to play guys based on their seniority. Peters and McLaurin should play more than just Special Teams, but we're not Mullen. We have no idea what his plan is with some of these phenoms playing as backups.

GreenheadDawg

I agree with your points but if Market, Coman and Jackson are the best we have then we are ****ed. Plain and simple. They are not SEC players. Coman may be but I'll wait and see on that. Market was borderline pre injury. He doesn't have the size or instincts to play SEC safety.

CadaverDawg
This is a WAY more WTF post than the one I made.

Why? Explain. You think Coman has no talent? He may not be as physically gifted as Peters, but if he gets the scheme and assignments more, he should start. The only "WTF" about that is that you could possibly disagree with it. Dont get your panties in a bunch just because people disagree with you saying we should start a freshman LT after 1 game based on hearsay. That is truly "WTF".

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
oh hell yeah they could. Tony Conner played more like an OLB his freshman season

+1

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Putting players in because of seniority works if you're winning. If we start losing games and have our most talented players on the bench, then there's a problem. It's reactive coaching, but Mullen tends to play guys based on their seniority. Peters and McLaurin should play more than just Special Teams, but we're not Mullen. We have no idea what his plan is with some of these phenoms playing as backups.

Exactly. Much more to it than who has the most physical talent.

Coach34
09-06-2015, 05:27 PM
YES! They can. This game isnt all about talent. Diaz says that our Saeties are the key to our scheme, and they have to be smart, well versed, and able to communicate. Thats an awful lot to ask of 2 True Freshmen, agree? Too many of you guys think, "good player in highschool = good player at MSU on day 1".....but it isnt that simple. Especially at key positions. .

Leo Lewis was considered a top HS LB not only from Miss- but in the entire country. He cant even make the 2-deep and will possibly RS. Its a huge jump from HS to the SEC- and our coaches dont put a player on the field until they know wtf to do

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2015, 05:29 PM
1. Not sure what the Coman thing has to do with it. Thats the same shit youre doing now. Jumping the gun on a player, and wanting him to replace him with a guy you havent seen play. Not sure your point.

2. I highly doubt Mullen is just rewarding players for practice efforts....and if he is, it led to 10 wins last year, so....

3. No you havent seen them play. Not live snaps against college teams. No you havent. Because they havent. You want to throw a guy out there at safety because he's got talent, a high rating, and was a star for Bassfield against other ?A highschool teams. That is FAR from "seeing these guys play live snaps" before.

4. You say that about not seeing Gray live and in person, yet you repeatedly say that Gray is a slot guy that we're trying to be cute with, and make an outside guy. So what are you basing him being a slot guy on, if youve never seen him? His size? Yes, more than likely.

Again, I dont know why you get so defensive, I'm just saying there's more to our personnel than just throwing the guy that you heard played well in there.

3. Sweet. Then we can all expect to continue to get torched every game. Mother ****ers pitching a tent in the middle of the field before they catch it. I know scheme has to do with it too but we will just have to agree to disagree. Our safeties are SWAC or conference USA level. Not SEC

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Leo Lewis was considered a top HS LB not only from Miss- but in the entire country. He cant even make the 2-deep and will possibly RS. Its a huge jump from HS to the SEC- and our coaches dont put a player on the field until they know wtf to do

This. This. This. My point

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 05:37 PM

1. Because you are attempting to say I don't know what I am talking about AGAIN just two days after proving YOU wrong about Coman. I don't claim to have the best track record or "know everything" about football- but I don't have the worst either.

2. When we could have had 12 wins had we not done the 1A/1B ridiculousness. So let's give Dan a free pass for screwing that up. Including losses to our two biggest rivals.

3. Projection is part of evaluation. I want to "throw Peters out there" because he is our best option based on the evidence that I HAVE seen. I don't care about stars. Bear was 2-3 stars- and I was very high on him. Jenkins is also a 2-3 star guy. McLaurin was 4 stars on 247 I believe but not sure about the other web sites. Peters is really the only one with National Honors. Not sure if Gray had any JUCO honors- it wouldn't shock me if he did.

4. His HUDL video. And the fact that he has been working at both outside WR AND slot for us in practice. I suspect we make our guys learn the outside WR spot first before sliding them inside where they have to run option routes and things like that in addition to the other WR routes.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Why? Explain. You think Coman has no talent? He may not be as physically gifted as Peters, but if he gets the scheme and assignments more, he should start. The only "WTF" about that is that you could possibly disagree with it. Dont get your panties in a bunch just because people disagree with you saying we should start a freshman LT after 1 game based on hearsay. That is truly "WTF".

Poor instincts. Poor ball skills. Doesn't react quickly enough. His actual physical ability is not bad- see the Iron Dawg Board.

I'm glad he knows the playbook. That doesn't mean he can execute it at a high level. Like I said- maybe coaching is his calling and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't have my panties in a wad at all. And apparently Greenhead agrees with me. I'm just wondering why some people want to keep going with what isn't working?

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:48 PM
1. Because you are attempting to say I don't know what I am talking about AGAIN just two days after proving YOU wrong about Coman. I don't claim to have the best track record or "know everything" about football- but I don't have the worst either.

2. When we could have had 12 wins had we not done the 1A/1B ridiculousness. So let's give Dan a free pass for screwing that up. Including losses to our two biggest rivals.

3. Projection is part of evaluation. I want to "throw Peters out there" because he is our best option based on the evidence that I HAVE seen. I don't care about stars. Bear was 2-3 stars- and I was very high on him. Jenkins is also a 2-3 star guy. McLaurin was 4 stars on 247 I believe but not sure about the other web sites. Peters is really the only one with National Honors. Not sure if Gray had any JUCO honors- it wouldn't shock me if he did.

4. His HUDL video. And the fact that he has been working at both outside WR AND slot for us in practice. I suspect we make our guys learn the outside WR spot first before sliding them inside where they have to run option routes and things like that in addition to the other WR routes.

1. Ha, you have proved nobody right about Coman. 1 game Todd. One. Relax. That's part of your problem...you can't allow a player to make a mistake without writing them off. Players improve in our program.

2. You have no way of knowing that. I could say we win 10 because of it, and it would be just as accurate. I hate 1A/1B, but that's not the point.

3. Please tell me what college game footage you've seen of Peters that shows he's CLEARLY OUR BEST OPTION? That's right, you haven't because none exists yet.

4. If you watched his Hudl video...first of all that's highlights and proves my point that you truly haven't "seen" these guys in live action vs college players....but also, his video would show him outside, Bc that's what he played.

Sorry, none of those points changes my opinion of you being wrong. I think you're right a lot..,especially baseball...so don't take it so personally. I can agree to disagree, but there's no way you can set a lineup based on highlight tape and hearsay and be taken seriously IMO. It's just not that simple man

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 05:53 PM
1. Ha, you have proved nobody right about Coman. 1 game Todd. One. Relax. That's part of your problem...you can't allow a player to make a mistake without writing them off. Players improve in our program.

2. You have no way of knowing that. I could say we win 10 because of it, and it would be just as accurate. I hate 1A/1B, but that's not the point.

3. Please tell me what college game footage you've seen of Peters that shows he's CLEARLY OUR BEST OPTION? That's right, you haven't because none exists yet.

4. If you watched his Hudl video...first of all that's highlights and proves my point that you truly haven't "seen" these guys in live action vs college players....but also, his video would show him outside, Bc that's what he played.

Sorry, none of those points changes my opinion of you being wrong. I think you're right a lot..,especially baseball...so don't take it so personally. I can agree to disagree, but there's no way you can set a lineup based on highlight tape and hearsay and be taken seriously IMO. It's just not that simple man

One game and ALL of last season. I think I'll be OK if you aren't impressed with my credentials. Unfortunately I have a real life and can't follow and watch all of our recruits games and go to every MSU practice and make a living since that is what it is going to take to satisfy you.

Noxdog
09-06-2015, 05:53 PM

That Cad Dawg would be a voice of reason in a world of insanity!! We will know who we are on Sat nite.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Poor instincts. Poor ball skills. Doesn't react quickly enough. His actual physical ability is not bad- see the Iron Dawg Board.

I'm glad he knows the playbook. That doesn't mean he can execute it at a high level. Like I said- maybe coaching is his calling and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't have my panties in a wad at all. And apparently Greenhead agrees with me. I'm just wondering why some people want to keep going with what isn't working?

Ok, now tell me why you think Peters is better. What have you seen in his college game film? Oh..that's right.. He Has None. Therefore, yet again, you're saying Peters is the better option based on physical talent and hearsay. Todd, the coaches aren't going to put there jobs on the line when there is a better option on the sideline. Especially Manny, Bc he's seen how quick it can end. Peters isn't the better option right now or he'd be playing...or at least be 2nd string. But he's not. And how easily you've gone right past Bryant and put Peters or McLaurin in there. Have you also seen that Perers is better than Bryant "first hand" or through HUDL?

Come on man. You gotta admit you know nothing about how good those freshman are currently at their positions...and definitely not enough to be saying they should start.

But I'm done debating it. It's a pretty easy debate, Bc the coaches see the players everyday, and we don't.

Noxdog
09-06-2015, 05:55 PM
One game and ALL of last season. I think I'll be OK if you aren't impressed with my credentials. Unfortunately I have a real life and can't follow and watch all of our recruits games and go to every MSU practice and make a living since that is what it is going to take to satisfy you.

Dang! Really dude? Step off the ledge. U a gambler?

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 05:55 PM
That Cad Dawg would be a voice of reason in a world of insanity!! We will know who we are on Sat nite.

Haha, me and Nox agreeing? This calls for celebration.

Thanks brother. And yes, we will find out Saturday indeed.

Noxdog
09-06-2015, 05:59 PM
What's the saying about a blind, well you know, LOL. It's all premature at this point, but what Cad is saying has merit.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Shump just doesn't have that it factor. His center gravity or something is to high. When he went out of bounds most running backs could have planted and cut back some. He just can't and he goes down too easily on first contact from the side.

Thank you. The perfect description of Shump. He almost always goes down on the first side hit, he'll run on his right hand for a few extra yards after the hit but that is not what a feature back does. JRob's low center of gravity and lower body strength made him almost impossible to tackle, Shump is the opposite of JRob.

War Machine Dawg
09-06-2015, 06:28 PM

Wait, you mean Todd is posting stupid shit that he has no clue about? Damn, that's a first.

Unless I'm proven wrong, I've got to think we were sandbagging last night. We've heard way too much about some of the young guys to believe that Deandre Ward, Deontay Evans, etc. are going to be playing significant snaps against an LSU. Either we've been grossly misled about who's performing and our depth chart or we were keeping a bunch of shells in our pocket for next Saturday. I know which one I'm choosing to believe.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Ok, now tell me why you think Peters is better. What have you seen in his college game film? Oh..that's right.. He Has None. Therefore, yet again, you're saying Peters is the better option based on physical talent and hearsay. Todd, the coaches aren't going to put there jobs on the line when there is a better option on the sideline. Especially Manny, Bc he's seen how quick it can end. Peters isn't the better option right now or he'd be playing...or at least be 2nd string. But he's not. And how easily you've gone right past Bryant and put Peters or McLaurin in there. Have you also seen that Perers is better than Bryant "first hand" or through HUDL?

Come on man. You gotta admit you know nothing about how good those freshman are currently at their positions...and definitely not enough to be saying they should start.

But I'm done debating it. It's a pretty easy debate, Bc the coaches see the players everyday, and we don't.

Actually I have attended every college game he has played in considering he played special teams last night. One of the ONLY freshmen to play last night.

So, basically in your head you "won" the debate by stooping things down to a Genespage level? All the while I obviously have seen these players more than you- but since I'm not a coach that doesn't matter. The fact that Coman continues to stink it up despite a large amount of college experience is also apparently irrelevant to you- but Peters has to have a ton of college experience for you to believe. What's YOUR agenda?

And in the meantime you say the coaches won't play someone that isn't a better option- the SAME coaching staff that chose to play Tyler over Dak, Perkins over Robinson, hasn't started Chris Jones until this year, and believed that Devon Bell could kick a field goal 65 yards. I'm not claiming to be Bill Walsh- but let's not pretend that our coaches are infallible.

But according to you, I can't have an opinion since I don't coach and don't live with the players everyday.

As for me, I'm glad I can actually think for myself without having to move the goal posts to make myself feel good.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Wait, you mean Todd is posting stupid shit that he has no clue about? Damn, that's a first.

Unless I'm proven wrong, I've got to think we were sandbagging last night. We've heard way too much about some of the young guys to believe that Deandre Ward, Deontay Evans, etc. are going to be playing significant snaps against an LSU. Either we've been grossly misled about who's performing and our depth chart or we were keeping a bunch of shells in our pocket for next Saturday. I know which one I'm choosing to believe.

You're probably buying the same crap that you've bought for the past four years- and all the while believing that Dan will somehow change. I know what I'm choosing to believe too.

And be careful about accusing me of posting "stupid shit"- you're not looking so hot on Coman right now either.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Actually I have attended every college game he has played in considering he played special teams last night. One of the ONLY freshmen to play last night.

So, basically in your head you "won" the debate by stooping things down to a Genespage level? All the while I obviously have seen these players more than you- but since I'm not a coach that doesn't matter. The fact that Coman continues to stink it up despite a large amount of college experience is also apparently irrelevant to you.

And in the meantime you say the coaches won't play someone that isn't a better option- the SAME coaching staff that chose to play Tyler over Dak, Perkins over Robinson, hasn't started Chris Jones until this year, and believed that Devon Bell could kick a field goal 65 yards. I'm not claiming to be Bill Walsh- but let's not pretend that our coaches are infallible.

But according to you, I can't have an opinion since I don't coach and don't live with the players everyday.

Come on, Todd. Nobody said you couldn't have an opinion. Good grief.

And no, you haven't seen these players play more than me, I doubt. That being said, neither you nor I have seen Peters, Jenkins, etc play a college snap at the position you're wanting them to START at vs LSU, BECAUSE IT HASNT HAPPENED YET. What is so hard to comprehend? You're saying a freshman S that is currently 3rd string, should start over a veteran and a stud RS Fr because "you saw him in highschool and watched his Hudl video"?! Does that not sound asinine to you?! Ha, I don't feel like I won the debate...Bc there was no debate to win.

You are advocating starting a Freshman at LT over a Senior because you "saw his Hudl video and have heard he looks great". Also stating that because of those reasons, you "think he can be the next Sherrod". YOU've BEVER SEEN HIM PLAY COLLEGE BALL, yet you're saying Mullen is stupid for not putting him at the most important position on the OL!

Again, those players are talented, and may even start mid season....my laughing is coming from you claiming how great they are when all you've seen is high school, and Hudl. That's all. It's no big deal, and I'm not trying to get you upset. I'm just trying to tell you how crazy that sounds, so that you'll quit using it to try and prove a point.

aerodawg
09-06-2015, 09:23 PM
I feel like your problem was not with the talent level play from our safeties but with the approach we took last night. We played 2 deep safeties almost all night with the job to not get burnt and keep everything in front of them. They did that. Even on the huge trick play Coman was there but he slipped while the ball was in the air. Schematically we were giving them free plays until it was buckle down time within our own 40 or so.

But yeah go ahead and throw out a couple true freshman on an island back there surely they won't be overwhelmed.

archdog
09-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Agree about our secondary. Harris almost pulled out the LSU game last year by burning our secondary. I'm sure he's licking his chops after seeing our secondary's performance last night.

Let me fix that for you. Harris burned Jamerson Love last year. Matter of fact, i believe almost every down field throw they tried was on him.

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Let me fix that for you. Harris burned Jamerson Love last year. Matter of fact, i believe almost every down field throw they tried was on him.

To be fair though, I think that second TD he had good coverage just got out jumped but the first one he got flat footed and burned.

War Machine Dawg
09-06-2015, 09:57 PM
You're probably buying the same crap that you've bought for the past four years- and all the while believing that Dan will somehow change. I know what I'm choosing to believe too.

And be careful about accusing me of posting "stupid shit"- you're not looking so hot on Coman right now either.

And we're in the middle of the most successful 4 years in school history. But hell, let's go with the Todd List™ team that features great impact SEC players like Rashun Dixon. Sorry, but you're ability to evaluate personnel is shit.

War Machine Dawg
09-06-2015, 10:01 PM
I feel like your problem was not with the talent level play from our safeties but with the approach we took last night. We played 2 deep safeties almost all night with the job to not get burnt and keep everything in front of them. They did that. Even on the huge trick play Coman was there but he slipped while the ball was in the air. Schematically we were giving them free plays until it was buckle down time within our own 40 or so.

But yeah go ahead and throw out a couple true freshman on an island back there surely they won't be overwhelmed.

Bingo. I don't know what part of that is so hard to understand. It was pretty obvious during the second half that they weren't scoring a TD unless we royally screwed the pooch. When we had to make stops, we pretty much did. Their lone TD was gift wrapped by Ross.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Come on, Todd. Nobody said you couldn't have an opinion. Good grief.

And no, you haven't seen these players play more than me, I doubt. That being said, neither you nor I have seen Peters, Jenkins, etc play a college snap at the position you're wanting them to START at vs LSU, BECAUSE IT HASNT HAPPENED YET. What is so hard to comprehend? You're saying a freshman S that is currently 3rd string, should start over a veteran and a stud RS Fr because "you saw him in highschool and watched his Hudl video"?! Does that not sound asinine to you?! Ha, I don't feel like I won the debate...Bc there was no debate to win.

You are advocating starting a Freshman at LT over a Senior because you "saw his Hudl video and have heard he looks great". Also stating that because of those reasons, you "think he can be the next Sherrod". YOU've BEVER SEEN HIM PLAY COLLEGE BALL, yet you're saying Mullen is stupid for not putting him at the most important position on the OL!

Again, those players are talented, and may even start mid season....my laughing is coming from you claiming how great they are when all you've seen is high school, and Hudl. That's all. It's no big deal, and I'm not trying to get you upset. I'm just trying to tell you how crazy that sounds, so that you'll quit using it to try and prove a point.

Not nearly as asinine as expecting true freshmen to have college experience and then accusing me of never having seen them. Because true freshmen NEVER play anywhere all across the country. So I guess all of those other coaches that play true freshmen over experienced players are crazy too, right? Or do they need to consult the great Dan? Did you really expect me to say that I saw them at practice? This is ****ing stupid.

You know what? I'll humor you. Let's say I am wrong on every single player. (Which I'm not)

I would rather at least TRY these players that have more talent and at least see what happens. Hell, it might work. It might cause the veterans to step up because they know their job isn't necessarily safe. I do know this- that's a hell of a lot better than just trotting the same SOB's out there and letting them **** up every weekend because they don't have "college experience".

The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 10:13 PM
And we're in the middle of the most successful 4 years in school history. But hell, let's go with the Todd List™ team that features great impact SEC players like Rashun Dixon. Sorry, but you're ability to evaluate personnel is shit.

So, expecting a guy to play FB and get a touch or two a game is "great impact"? You mean shit like your evaluation of Joe Morrow's career to this point? Or Coman's career for that matter?

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Bingo. I don't know what part of that is so hard to understand. It was pretty obvious during the second half that they weren't scoring a TD unless we royally screwed the pooch. When we had to make stops, we pretty much did. Their lone TD was gift wrapped by Ross.

EVERYONE STAY CALM! DAN WON'T BE VANILLA IN SEC PLAY! I PROMISE! IT WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME! COMAN IS THE SECOND COMING OF RONNIE LOTT!!!

Pollodawg
09-06-2015, 10:26 PM
And State fans turn violently on one another in 3...2...1...

Pollodawg
09-06-2015, 10:27 PM
I don't think I've ever seen an fanbase that hated one another as badly as our fans do.

msstate7
09-06-2015, 10:29 PM
I don't think I've ever seen an fanbase that hated one another as badly as our fans do.

Yep. It seems there's even animosity between our fans for what message board they prefer

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Not nearly as asinine as expecting true freshmen to have college experience and then accusing me of never having seen them. Because true freshmen NEVER play anywhere all across the country. So I guess all of those other coaches that play true freshmen over experienced players are crazy too, right? Or do they need to consult the great Dan? Did you really expect me to say that I saw them at practice? This is ****ing stupid.

You know what? I'll humor you. Let's say I am wrong on every single player. (Which I'm not)

I would rather at least TRY these players that have more talent and at least see what happens. Hell, it might work. It might cause the veterans to step up because they know their job isn't necessarily safe. I do know this- that's a hell of a lot better than just trotting the same SOB's out there and letting them **** up every weekend because they don't have "college experience".

The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?

Are you trying to be this ridiculous? Where did I say freshmen shouldn't play??

I said YOU have no knowledge of a freshman being "better than ______", because YOU haven't seen them in action. DAN and MANNY have...so for YOU to say Dan is stupid for not starting Peters, Jenkins, McLaurin, or D Gray "in the slot", is absurd because YOU haven't seen them play, so YOU don't have the info to make that statement except for hearsay and Hudl.

DAN and DIAZ do have that info, Bc DAN and DIAZ are at every practice and scrimmage, and they know if the youngsters are comprehending the scheme and plays to go with their obvious talent. Mullen played Jackson, Dear, Johnson, AND Peters....so clearly they aren't "too dumb" to play talented freshmen. He is actually smart enough not to put them in position to fail if they aren't ready yet.

It's not brain surgery, Todd. Don't know why you get so upset just Bc someone disagrees and cites why. But I'll bow out now. You keep telling Mullen how much better those freshmen are than those Seniors though.

shoeless joe
09-06-2015, 10:41 PM

So, basically in your head you "won" the debate by stooping things down to a Genespage level? All the while I obviously have seen these players more than you- but since I'm not a coach that doesn't matter. The fact that Coman continues to stink it up despite a large amount of college experience is also apparently irrelevant to you- but Peters has to have a ton of college experience for you to believe. What's YOUR agenda?

As for me, I'm glad I can actually think for myself without having to move the goal posts to make myself feel good.

I find it funny that your stance on Mullen and this team is similar to what you feverishly argue against during baseball season in regards to Cohen...JMO.

As for this post in particular, you do realize that jones played a ton last year. He didn't play the first series much but he played more than many others. And for the millionth time...Robinson didn't play over perk because he couldn't get his act together off the field. That's it...that's the reason. If folks don't pull their end of the load in all aspects Mullen won't play them. It's a main reason we have the work ethic and development within the program that we have. Without a commitment to excellence on and off the field we wouldn't be successful. It is one of the reasons Mullen has the record he does and has led us to one of our greatest stretches ever.

There are adjustment I would personally like to see made in scheme and personnel but at the end of the day I'm not in position to say my thoughts are any better than someone who's livelihood is based on game results AND sees these guys everyday.

If LSU runs us off the field I will change my tune but until then I can think of a ton of reasons why last nite went the way it did and none affect my thoughts or feelings on how the rest of the year will go. I like my crow medium rare.**

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Are you trying to be this ridiculous? Where did I say freshmen shouldn't play??

I said YOU have no knowledge of a freshman being "better than ______", because YOU haven't seen them in action. DAN and MANNY have...so for YOU to say Dan is stupid for not starting Peters, Jenkins, McLaurin, or D Gray "in the slot", is absurd because YOU haven't seen them play, so YOU don't have the info to make that statement except for hearsay and Hudl.

DAN and DIAZ do have that info, Bc DAN and DIAZ are at every practice and scrimmage, and they know if the youngsters are comprehending the scheme and plays to go with their obvious talent. Mullen played Jackson, Dear, Johnson, AND Peters....so clearly they aren't "too dumb" to play talented freshmen. He is actually smart enough not to put them in position to fail if they aren't ready yet.

It's not brain surgery, Todd. Don't know why you get so upset just Bc someone disagrees and cites why. But I'll bow out now. You keep telling Mullen how much better those freshmen are than those Seniors though.

You know what- I will.

And if you don't like my opinion on it that's fine. I don't give a shit. You asked why I thought that Coman was bad and why I thought Peters was good. You didn't like the response because you thought it was "asinine". If don't want my opinion- don't ask for it. And if you give a response that is as incredibly stupid as the ones you gave- I'll definitely let you know. If I was Paul Brown you wouldn't have liked my response- so **** off.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 11:02 PM
I find it funny that your stance on Mullen and this team is similar to what you feverishly argue against during baseball season in regards to Cohen...JMO.

As for this post in particular, you do realize that jones played a ton last year. He didn't play the first series much but he played more than many others. And for the millionth time...Robinson didn't play over perk because he couldn't get his act together off the field. That's it...that's the reason. If folks don't pull their end of the load in all aspects Mullen won't play them. It's a main reason we have the work ethic and development within the program that we have. Without a commitment to excellence on and off the field we wouldn't be successful. It is one of the reasons Mullen has the record he does and has led us to one of our greatest stretches ever.

There are adjustment I would personally like to see made in scheme and personnel but at the end of the day I'm not in position to say my thoughts are any better than someone who's livelihood is based on game results AND sees these guys everyday.

If LSU runs us off the field I will change my tune but until then I can think of a ton of reasons why last nite went the way it did and none affect my thoughts or feelings on how the rest of the year will go. I like my crow medium rare.**

Absolutely remember on Jones. I thought he should have played more and started though.

Robinson was definitely an enigma. Do you play the guy who maybe doesn't have the best work ethic but produces more over the guy who works hard and isn't as productive? I think the solution would have been to use Perkins differently and not as much between the tackles and more on screens and things like that.

And for the billionth time- I'm just giving my opinion. I'm not saying I'm a better coach than Dan. I definitely have a strong opinion on it. All I want to see us do is play the best people and maybe give others a fair chance to perform that maybe haven't yet- which would settle this debate once and for all. As it is right now- we definitely have some holes and if I was Dan and my livelihood was depending on it, I would definitely try to find a solution ASAP. One way or the other.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 11:11 PM
You know what- I will.

And if you don't like my opinion on it that's fine. I don't give a shit. You asked why I thought that Coman was bad and why I thought Peters was good. You didn't like the response because you thought it was "asinine". If don't want my opinion- don't ask for it. And if you give a response that is as incredibly stupid as the ones you gave- I'll definitely let you know. If I was Paul Brown you wouldn't have liked my response- so **** off.

"**** off"? Ok.

Panties clearly not bunched.*

Paul Brown? Umm...k

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Absolutely remember on Jones. I thought he should have played more and started though.

Robinson was definitely an enigma. Do you play the guy who maybe doesn't have the best work ethic but produces more over the guy who works hard and isn't as productive? I think the solution would have been to use Perkins differently and not as much between the tackles and more on screens and things like that.

And for the billionth time- I'm just giving my opinion. I'm not saying I'm a better coach than Dan. I definitely have a strong opinion on it. All I want to see us do is play the best people and maybe give others a fair chance to perform that maybe haven't yet- which would settle this debate once and for all. As it is right now- we definitely have some holes and if I was Dan and my livelihood was depending on it, I would definitely try to find a solution ASAP. One way or the other.

Todd I think that last part is a big reason your opinion draws so much criticism. Do you really think these coaches are just playing favoritism with as much riding on their success and as much success they have already had here? That we truly have an informed opinion on things when we are not living it as much as these coaches are. And make no mistake they make a lot of money but the hours they spend to come up the game plans and personnel groupings, continued evaluations, recruiting, etc. It is mind boggling and if you really stepped back and thought about it you would see that whatever problems we see now is the answer to what they have been studying for weeks and they are already working on the next problem that we don't even know about. Doesn't mean they necessarily like the solution but at this point in time it's the best they believe they have from a completely informed perspective. That's what most have been saying to you. It's not just about your opinion but your opinion from such a lack of information. You wouldn't make these same judgements about a baseball player and Cohen but you have a pretty big snap judgment with Mullen and it's not that he is always right. It's just he is going to be right over us strictly because he has so much more information that he has already gone through because it is his staffs job on the line. The program he envisions and how it will be accomplished (and a major part of that is what he expects from the players and the rite of playing time inside the program, which has most definitely worked).

msstate7
09-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Break it up, boys! Everyone shake hands and no more fighting**

If this is how we react in a win, I hate to see a loss.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Break it up, boys! Everyone shake hands and no more fighting**

If this is how we react in a win, I hate to see a loss.

Gif battle to the death if we lose. *

Treemydawg
09-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Ok everybody repeat after me - GOOSEFRABBAHHH!!!

sandwolf
09-06-2015, 11:51 PM

Mullen does tend to start guys with more seniority, but when there are younger guys that are more talented and are ready to play (e.g. Chris Jones, Bear Wilson and Will Redmond), they get as much, and in some cases more playing time than the "starter" does......and seeing as how Peters/McLaurin didn't get a single rep at safety last night, you sound like a ****ing idiot when you blindly proclaim them to be our best options after having been on campus for 3 months, based on the HUDL highlight videos you watched.

What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?

What? Using HUDL to evaluate high school prospects is not the same as using HUDL to identify the best players on a college team. The best players on a college team are identified during practice, when they are playing against other college players.......which is why you get called out for adamantly disagreeing with the people who have been to practices and say that Coman is the best safety on the team and its not close.

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Todd I think that last part is a big reason your opinion draws so much criticism. Do you really think these coaches are just playing favoritism with as much riding on their success and as much success they have already had here? That we truly have an informed opinion on things when we are not living it as much as these coaches are. And make no mistake they make a lot of money but the hours they spend to come up the game plans and personnel groupings, continued evaluations, recruiting, etc. It is mind boggling and if you really stepped back and thought about it you would see that whatever problems we see now is the answer to what they have been studying for weeks and they are already working on the next problem that we don't even know about. Doesn't mean they necessarily like the solution but at this point in time it's the best they believe they have from a completely informed perspective. That's what most have been saying to you. It's not just about your opinion but your opinion from such a lack of information. You wouldn't make these same judgements about a baseball player and Cohen but you have a pretty big snap judgment with Mullen and it's not that he is always right. It's just he is going to be right over us strictly because he has so much more information that he has already gone through because it is his staffs job on the line. The program he envisions and how it will be accomplished (and a major part of that is what he expects from the players and the rite of playing time inside the program, which has most definitely worked).

I believe that they do value hard work and will reward that over a guy that is a hard worker over a guy that is more talented that doesn't work as hard. And it is a very difficult situation for them when they have something like Perkins and Robinson. If that is "playing favorites" then yeah I think they do in certain cases. I do not believe that they do anything that they intend to not work or hurt the program.

As far as Cohen- I've pretty much railed Butch over the handing of the pitching staff- which was the downfall of our season IMO. I've also been critical of Cohen on some things as well- Frost, not recruiting power hitters that weren't draft risks, too many JUCO's etc.

At the same time, if Ben Howland doesn't start Malik Newman, are we just going to go along with that too? Or he is above questioning as well? Just give me a heads up. Since Malik doesn't have any college experience as well.

How many posters on here post information about things that they have heard through the grapevine or whatever? Do you really think that everyone that doles out info is hanging out with the coaches every day? Some sure, but probably most don't. So now all of a sudden I have to have a massive amount of information to have an opinion on something for it to be accepted?

I believe that I should be able to have an opinion and not be told that I have to be a coach at practice to validate that opinion.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Mullen does tend to start guys with more seniority, but when there are younger guys that are more talented and are ready to play (e.g. Chris Jones, Bear Wilson and Will Redmond), they get as much, and in some cases more playing time than the "starter" does......and seeing as how Peters/McLaurin didn't get a single rep at safety last night, you sound like a ****ing idiot when you blindly proclaim them to be our best options after having been on campus for 3 months, based on the HUDL highlight videos you watched.

What? Using HUDL to evaluate high school prospects is not the same as using HUDL to identify the best players on a college team. The best players on a college team are identified during practice, when they are playing against other college players.......which is why you get called out for adamantly disagreeing with the people who have been to practices and say that Coman is the best safety on the team and its not close.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y083uOcg1fc/VWjsqOmLDTI/AAAAAAADuR4/9-n_M8xXVuU/s400/7ac.jpg

Todd4State
09-06-2015, 11:57 PM

I used HUDL for ONE player- which was Gray. I have seen Peters and McLaurin play in person. Just like your boy Steve Robertson. You call him sheriff. You call me a ****ing idiot.

aerodawg
09-07-2015, 12:06 AM
EVERYONE STAY CALM! DAN WON'T BE VANILLA IN SEC PLAY! I PROMISE! IT WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME! COMAN IS THE SECOND COMING OF RONNIE LOTT!!!

You realize everything you have said could just as equally be quoted the same way. Last night it didn't look like our players on defense were getting beat. They missed tackles and weren't where the ball was going, but it wasn't a lack of talent where guys were getting burnt like last year (prime example is the UAB game). We did the exact same thing last year against USM which is why I don't understand your "IT WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME!". We don't play the same gameplan when a game is in question. Hell defensively we played different week to week depending on who we played. Arkansas would have destroyed us last year if we played the same scheme that we did last night. Literally nothing to be taken from the game other than at least our guys weren't getting burnt by CUSA players like they did last year.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2015, 12:06 AM
I used HUDL for ONE player- which was Gray. I have seen Peters and McLaurin play in person. Just like your boy Steve Robertson. You call him sheriff. You call me a ****ing idiot.

Robertson isn't saying Jenkins should start, Peters should start, and Gray should be in the slot. He's also not overreacting like a crazy person over a game we won.

Just sayin

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Robertson isn't saying Jenkins should start, Peters should start, and Gray should be in the slot. He's also not overreacting like a crazy person over a game we won.

You're definitely less Sherriff and more the other on this topic. Just my opinion.

You're typically a great guy...not sure why this topic has been so tough.

I said Gray should be the punt returner- not start over Ross in the slot.

It's frustrating to me because I think we have a chance to have a special season and I see these glaring weaknesses and a LOT of the same issues from last year coupled with a lack of intensity and I'm afraid it's going to lead us to underachieve again like last year. And then I see people like you say "oh well, the coaches know what they're doing and you're not at practice so neahh."

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 12:15 AM
You realize everything you have said could just as equally be quoted the same way. Last night it didn't look like our players on defense were getting beat. They missed tackles and weren't where the ball was going, but it wasn't a lack of talent where guys were getting burnt like last year (prime example is the UAB game). We did the exact same thing last year against USM which is why I don't understand your "IT WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME!". We don't play the same gameplan when a game is in question. Hell defensively we played different week to week depending on who we played. Arkansas would have destroyed us last year if we played the same scheme that we did last night. Literally nothing to be taken from the game other than at least our guys weren't getting burnt by CUSA players like they did last year.

Every year we hear how vanilla we are and we're going to ramp it up against the SEC and then we see the same BS game plan every week. Fire the DC, rinse, lather, repeat.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2015, 12:20 AM
I said Gray should be the punt returner- not start over Ross in the slot.

It's frustrating to me because I think we have a chance to have a special season and I see these glaring weaknesses and a LOT of the same issues from last year coupled with a lack of intensity and I'm afraid it's going to lead us to underachieve again like last year. And then I see people like you say "oh well, the coaches know what they're doing and you're not at practice so neahh."

That's not what I've been saying about the issues....that's what I've been saying about your insisting that we should start freshmen you've never seen play before and have no idea if they can get the job done yet.

As for the issues, I think we were playing vanilla and will look better vs LSU. If not, I'll be pissed. I wasn't thrilled with our performance, but I'm going to at least wait and withhold judgment until we lose or play bad against a team that matters.

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 12:22 AM
I believe that they do value hard work and will reward that over a guy that is a hard worker over a guy that is more talented that doesn't work as hard. And it is a very difficult situation for them when they have something like Perkins and Robinson. If that is "playing favorites" then yeah I think they do in certain cases. I do not believe that they do anything that they intend to not work or hurt the program.

As far as Cohen- I've pretty much railed Butch over the handing of the pitching staff- which was the downfall of our season IMO. I've also been critical of Cohen on some things as well- Frost, not recruiting power hitters that weren't draft risks, too many JUCO's etc.

At the same time, if Ben Howland doesn't start Malik Newman, are we just going to go along with that too? Or he is above questioning as well? Just give me a heads up. Since Malik doesn't have any college experience as well.

How many posters on here post information about things that they have heard through the grapevine or whatever? Do you really think that everyone that doles out info is hanging out with the coaches every day? Some sure, but probably most don't. So now all of a sudden I have to have a massive amount of information to have an opinion on something for it to be accepted?

I believe that I should be able to have an opinion and not be told that I have to be a coach at practice to validate that opinion.

It's not about you not having an opinion because you don't have coaching sources it's questioning how can you possibly make any type of an informed opinion without seeing them play at this level. Especially the freshman you are touting. We play freshman and at times play freshman significant minutes since Dan has been here. Do some programs play freshman more? Sure but some of that has to do with the raw product we bring in more so than other programs. Some of that does have to do with what is required for playing time. I hate to bring this up again but is almost the same issue brought up about Evans and James when they came in. A segment of the fan base kept hammering for not playing these talented players. And those fans were ignorant then and dead wrong. Saban plays freshman but he is also getting the cream of the polished crop as well. But when he had the #1 rated LB, Foster, and needed LB help he didn't play him significantly because he hadn't gotten it yet. The player had talent and talent over other guys but he sucked as a player until he grasped more things. Being talented and being a football player are different things. And most have been saying that even by the end of the year Peters or McLaurin or both very well may be playing significant minutes. Heck maybe we are saving them for LSU (doubt that seriously) but don't get upset when people call you out on an uninformed opinion when after 6 years Mullen's track record has proved that he is actually more correct that what the fans think about personnel.

I know you have hit on Cohen some but for a fair perspective from others, if you were nearly as critical of Cohen as you are of Mullen, then you very well be ready to search for a new coach. The rope you give Cohen is a good bit longer than you do for Mullen.

As far as Howland, first with his accomplishments if for what ever reason he comes out and Newman doesn't play I'll support that decision until proven wrong. But really basketball and football is totally different especially in personnel and being ready to play at this level much sooner. Not to mention the game itself can lead to playing a guy a lot on pure talent even if their basketball IQ is low. Safety, LB and OL don't necessarily lend themselves to just being able to play on pure talent. Corner, RB, WR are much easier positions that freshman can come in and be impactful.

sandwolf
09-07-2015, 12:29 AM

You are missing the point. It really doesn't matter how you saw them play.......whether it was in person or on HUDL, it was high school football. And when you openly admit that you have never seen either of them play against SEC competition, yet claim that they are the best safeties on the team, people are going to call you on that. And when you then get all defensive about people pointing out the fact that you have absolutely no basis for your argument, people are going to call you a ****ing idiot.

sandwolf
09-07-2015, 12:36 AM
It's not about you not having an opinion because you don't have coaching sources it's questioning how can you possibly make any type of an informed opinion without seeing them play at this level. Especially the freshman you are touting. We play freshman and at times play freshman significant minutes since Dan has been here. Do some programs play freshman more? Sure but some of that has to do with the raw product we bring in more so than other programs. Some of that does have to do with what is required for playing time. I hate to bring this up again but is almost the same issue brought up about Evans and James when they came in. A segment of the fan base kept hammering for not playing these talented players. And those fans were ignorant then and dead wrong. Saban plays freshman but he is also getting the cream of the polished crop as well. But when he had the #1 rated LB, Foster, and needed LB help he didn't play him significantly because he hadn't gotten it yet. The player had talent and talent over other guys but he sucked as a player until he grasped more things. Being talented and being a football player are different things. And most have been saying that even by the end of the year Peters or McLaurin or both very well may be playing significant minutes. Heck maybe we are saving them for LSU (doubt that seriously) but don't get upset when people call you out on an uninformed opinion when after 6 years Mullen's track record has proved that he is actually more correct that what the fans think about personnel.

Nicely put.

aerodawg
09-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Every year we hear how vanilla we are and we're going to ramp it up against the SEC and then we see the same BS game plan every week. Fire the DC, rinse, lather, repeat.

I don't know where you are getting this from. Do you think we played poor defense the first 54 minutes against LSU last year, or against Arkansas, or against Bama with the exception of our safeties getting completely flat-out burnt, or Auburn, or Texas A&M? Our absolute shitty games were against mostly inferior opponents outside of Ole Miss and Georgia Tech but apparently our DC had his foot in Florida already. Every DC gameplans for each opponent or else we wouldn't need a scout team.

The difference in our safeties this year versus last is that I didn't see either one of them get beat on a streak up the sideline or a deep post. They got beat underneath in zones that were in front of them because that is the scheme we were playing against USM until they crossed over into our 40yd line or so. There wasn't a magical wall in our redzone, we just went to a less forgiving defensive scheme (that could have possibly put the safeties in those deep 1on1 matchups that gave up so many tds last year) to keep them from scoring.

You may turn out to be right and they get torched every game they play in but it is far too early to assume that from that one game last night. It is completely laughable though that 2 true freshman with 4 weeks of experience on the team wouldn't be completely lost schematically and only playing off instincts. I guess if that is the case we should throw out all stops to get all 4 stars and above this February and replace the entire starting lineup because they are "more talented".

SPMT
09-07-2015, 01:00 AM

Man, if you can't get hyped for your biggest rival (ole miss last year) then what the hell can you get hyped for?!

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 02:18 AM

I know you have hit on Cohen some but for a fair perspective from others, if you were nearly as critical of Cohen as you are of Mullen, then you very well be ready to search for a new coach. The rope you give Cohen is a good bit longer than you do for Mullen.

As far as Howland, first with his accomplishments if for what ever reason he comes out and Newman doesn't play I'll support that decision until proven wrong. But really basketball and football is totally different especially in personnel and being ready to play at this level much sooner. Not to mention the game itself can lead to playing a guy a lot on pure talent even if their basketball IQ is low. Safety, LB and OL don't necessarily lend themselves to just being able to play on pure talent. Corner, RB, WR are much easier positions that freshman can come in and be impactful.

Ummm...Chris Jones as a freshman was second on the team in sacks, led the team in QB hurries, and tied for the team lead in tackles for loss. So, how were the fans "ignorant and plain wrong" on him? And again he was one of the ones I was touting.

As far as the players that no one believes me about- I think once they actually get some extended playing time people will see what I am talking about since that's apparently the criteria set forth.

As far as Cohen and Mullen- I haven't called for Mullen to be gone since we were 4-6 in 2013. And Cohen better straighten up himself or he will be in hot water if we play like we did last year.

If Newman doesn't play a lot in the first game I guarantee you most people will question Howland- and what I'm saying is not really any different than what most fans do with recruits.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 02:24 AM
You are missing the point. It really doesn't matter how you saw them play.......whether it was in person or on HUDL, it was high school football. And when you openly admit that you have never seen either of them play against SEC competition, yet claim that they are the best safeties on the team, people are going to call you on that. And when you then get all defensive about people pointing out the fact that you have absolutely no basis for your argument, people are going to call you a ****ing idiot.

That's apparent. And I expect you to tell that to the next poster that a recruit has a chance to play right away that to.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 02:32 AM
I don't know where you are getting this from. Do you think we played poor defense the first 54 minutes against LSU last year, or against Arkansas, or against Bama with the exception of our safeties getting completely flat-out burnt, or Auburn, or Texas A&M? Our absolute shitty games were against mostly inferior opponents outside of Ole Miss and Georgia Tech but apparently our DC had his foot in Florida already. Every DC gameplans for each opponent or else we wouldn't need a scout team.

The difference in our safeties this year versus last is that I didn't see either one of them get beat on a streak up the sideline or a deep post. They got beat underneath in zones that were in front of them because that is the scheme we were playing against USM until they crossed over into our 40yd line or so. There wasn't a magical wall in our redzone, we just went to a less forgiving defensive scheme (that could have possibly put the safeties in those deep 1on1 matchups that gave up so many tds last year) to keep them from scoring.

You may turn out to be right and they get torched every game they play in but it is far too early to assume that from that one game last night. It is completely laughable though that 2 true freshman with 4 weeks of experience on the team wouldn't be completely lost schematically and only playing off instincts. I guess if that is the case we should throw out all stops to get all 4 stars and above this February and replace the entire starting lineup because they are "more talented".

Well otherwise everything was great.**

Yes, at MSU it's totally inconceivable that true freshmen would be able to pick up our schemes. I don't know how they do it at other schools. I'm not sure how Justin Johnson did it for us this Saturday either.

And AGAIN- Bear 2-3 stars, Jones was a 3 star when I was high on him before he blew up. Jenkins was a 2 star, Gray wasn't even rated by scout out of HS, McLaurin was a four star by 247 and Peters was a 4-5 star. Only a few of the guys I am touting were really rated that high by the recruiting services. I trust Dan WAY more than the recruiting services. And as you see how much I trust in Dan- so that should give you an idea of what I think about the recruiting sites evaluations.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2015, 06:34 AM
Wait wait wait, did Todd seriously compare himself to an MLB scout? Hahaha that's one of the most ignorant and arrogant statements I've ever heard. You are a typical college sports fan that thinks you know more than all the coaches, and in reality it makes you look like anew idiot. Not everything you have said is dumb, but a lot of it is. Oh and Chris Jones didn't change as a player from a 3 to a 5 star. He just got really evaluated by recruiting site people. You in no way shape or form were the only person talking him up. Every state fan was excited about him.

Political Hack
09-07-2015, 07:20 AM

D line is filthy.

Yall better get used to this with Manny. he keeps outside leverage on the WRs when bringing pressure. He gives up the slant. Everyone knows this. He waits for them to miss a throw, drop a pass, for us to bat a ball, get a sack, etc... On 1st or 2nd down and then tighten up on 3rd. 3rd down conversions and red zone defense will determine how good we are this season. if you're worried about passing yards, you're looking at the wrong stats. It's a by-product of how manny calls his D. It's very different than most philosophies.

Either way, we had 2 pics and got in the backfield a lot. minimized their rushing game despite that long run, and held them to only a few scores. Their QB was impressive in my opinion. I think they're going to do well in CUSA with him running the offense. He took what we gave them and made the right read all night long.

Political Hack
09-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Wait wait wait, did Todd seriously compare himself to an MLB scout? Hahaha that's one of the most ignorant and arrogant statements I've ever heard. You are a typical college sports fan that thinks you know more than all the coaches, and in reality it makes you look like anew idiot. Not everything you have said is dumb, but a lot of it is. Oh and Chris Jones didn't change as a player from a 3 to a 5 star. He just got really evaluated by recruiting site people. You in no way shape or form were the only person talking him up. Every state fan was excited about him.

In all fairness, he was a 2-star when he committed in the summer and people were pissed "we took another 2-star" so early. I remember having to try calm the masses on 247 by telling them he was an absolute beast of a freak. No one knew him. Obviously he didn't progress talent wise from a 2 to a 5, he justi Balky got evaluated like you said... But people did overreact when we accepted his commitment.

BeastMan
09-07-2015, 09:15 AM

Yep. He played a roving safety that matched up with inside routes and blitzed. It was a utility role that featured his elite talent without having him be a FS or call defenses or check coverages. That was Cody Prewitt.

BulldogBear
09-07-2015, 09:18 AM
But did it keep us from being #1 in the polls and in the playoff rankings? Who gives a crap what some idiot talking heads have to say. Where it mattered we were at the top, and if we beat LSU, auburn, and A&M again we'll be there again. However, some things need to be fixed for us to do those things.

Oh I get it. Don't worry. I was commenting that there will be 17ers thay won't let it go even if we're 12-0 headed into ATL. They'll still bring up how we struggled versus USM as they predict us to lose each week of that 12 win run. When we stomp LSU their going to bring up the fact that it was LSU first game if season. They're going to bring it up each week and each college gameday. They're going to put an asterisk by the whole season as it goes along because they'll be implying thay LSU IS the real champion but didn't get a fair shake in our game. I was complaining that there are media folks that hate us that much. Seriously. Didn't you love Brando taking USM side on every questionable call? Didn't you love his implying that USM was our real rivalry and remarking what a shame it was to see so many rivals no longer playing because of all the conference expansion? Of course it's USM because Ole Miss isn't our real rival. Their real rival is LSU. He is, of course, one of those national media types that has ties to the Black Bears that a lot of people don't know about. So of course our rival is USM.

PMDawg
09-07-2015, 09:49 AM

I would HATE to think that we kept some of our most talented players on the sideline as a ruse as opposed to letting them play their first live action college snaps against a manageable opponent. Then, we are going to throw them into the fire vs. LSU? Dont think that's likely.

drunkernhelldawg
09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
I would HATE to think that we kept some of our most talented players on the sideline as a ruse as opposed to letting them play their first live action college snaps against a manageable opponent. Then, we are going to throw them into the fire vs. LSU? Dont think that's likely.

The point is so obvious it zoomed right over their heads.

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2015, 10:21 AM
That's not what I've been saying about the issues....that's what I've been saying about your insisting that we should start freshmen you've never seen play before and have no idea if they can get the job done yet.

As for the issues, I think we were playing vanilla and will look better vs LSU. If not, I'll be pissed. I wasn't thrilled with our performance, but I'm going to at least wait and withhold judgment until we lose or play bad against a team that matters.

Bingo. If we play the same scheme against LSU, I'll lead the charge to have Manny fired. But I'd bet the farm we see a different looking D on Saturday night.

Coach34
09-07-2015, 10:44 AM
No way we play the same way vs Pro-I LSU- you cant

aerodawg
09-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Well otherwise everything was great.**

Yes, at MSU it's totally inconceivable that true freshmen would be able to pick up our schemes. I don't know how they do it at other schools. I'm not sure how Justin Johnson did it for us this Saturday either.

And AGAIN- Bear 2-3 stars, Jones was a 3 star when I was high on him before he blew up. Jenkins was a 2 star, Gray wasn't even rated by scout out of HS, McLaurin was a four star by 247 and Peters was a 4-5 star. Only a few of the guys I am touting were really rated that high by the recruiting services. I trust Dan WAY more than the recruiting services. And as you see how much I trust in Dan- so that should give you an idea of what I think about the recruiting sites evaluations.

Do you not know the difference between being schematically good and being talented? My point was that our scheme was great against Alabama last year, but our safeties sucked too bad to not get burnt in 1 on 1's. You can put an NFL defense on the field but if they run prevent defense, USM can rack up some yards.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Do you not know the difference between being schematically good and being talented?

No. He doesnt.

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Ummm...Chris Jones as a freshman was second on the team in sacks, led the team in QB hurries, and tied for the team lead in tackles for loss. So, how were the fans "ignorant and plain wrong" on him? And again he was one of the ones I was touting.

As far as the players that no one believes me about- I think once they actually get some extended playing time people will see what I am talking about since that's apparently the criteria set forth.

As far as Cohen and Mullen- I haven't called for Mullen to be gone since we were 4-6 in 2013. And Cohen better straighten up himself or he will be in hot water if we play like we did last year.

If Newman doesn't play a lot in the first game I guarantee you most people will question Howland- and what I'm saying is not really any different than what most fans do with recruits.

Your reading comprehension sucked that time. How did you get Chris Jones out of that when I said Evans and James? The fans were dead wrong on the Evans and James situation. Chris wasn't even mentioned. So he didn't start but he played significant minutes and the more he LEARNED of the defense the more he played. Cox, Boyd, Bumphis all came in and started. Wilson and Ross both came in as Freshman and played significant minutes. In this conversation, the young guys you are touting for this year are Peters and McLaurin. Let's stay with who you are touting this year so we don't have to research the last 5 years. Keep it simple.

Again, the gist of you getting called out is not you wanting to see the young guys play its you being so absolute that they are better WITHOUT having any real information to base it on. Just because you are throwing crap against the wall won't make you some great evaluation of talent. Especially with those two safety's. And once more most are agreeing that this very well may happen during the year but you cannot possibly know they are better at this point of time. There is no way and instead of getting defensive think about what you are saying.

cheewgumm
09-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Smith. That was criminal. If Malike doesn't start and play more than anyone this year, we should fire Howland.

sandwolf
09-07-2015, 11:31 AM
That's apparent. And I expect you to tell that to the next poster that a recruit has a chance to play right away that to.

Jesus, saying that a recruit has a chance to play right away based on his high school film is not the same as declaring him the best player on the team based off of that film....especially when said player is sitting on the bench.

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Smith. That was criminal. If Malike doesn't start and play more than anyone this year, we should fire Howland.

Well I probably should have it clearer that the Howland and Newman deal was a little tongue and cheek. You have to admit that the two sports are not comparable at all when it comes to playing highly rated freshman. Even with a low basketball IQ (not that Newman is by any means) can be effective off of pure talent. Certain positions on the football field can lead to that as well but not necessarily two Safety's. In fact I can't think of any team looking to really make a run opt to go with two freshman safety's at the same time. You are asking for major problems early in the year that way. But between the two Howland and his accomplishments and ability as a coach with his track record, I will give him some lead way to at least make the case if he doesn't play a certain player. Not by any reason do I think this will remotely happen. I'm just saying he has earned the right to make that decision until we have evidence otherwise.

The Jones and Smith deal last year, they did play a good bit together but overall I think some of that was a byproduct of the 1A/1B stuff. Spreading the talent between two DL last year to make each productive to a degree. Not debating whether we should have or not last year, it's over, but can see what they were doing with that.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 02:21 PM

No- I did not seriously compare myself to an MLB scout. I seriously gave an example of other people evaluating players based off of high school competition.

LC Dawg
09-07-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm far from any kind of an expert but I watch a lot of Mississippi high school football, mostly 4A, and it doesn't really surprise me that a kid from a 3A or 2A school (even one as successful as Bassfield) is not ready to contribute a lot in their first college game. That's not a knock on these schools it's just a fact that it's a huge jump to make. I'm not saying it can't happen I'm just saying it shouldn't raise much concern if it doesn't.
In that same line of thinking it would be more likely that a freshman from Hoover contributes, which did happen.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2015, 03:41 PM
No- I did not seriously compare myself to an MLB scout. I seriously gave an example of other people evaluating players based off of high school competition.

So you compared what you do to what MLB scouts do. Like I said. Only thing is, they get paid to do it and actually know what they are looking for. They also go to games and actually see the good and bad of players. You don't. So forgive everyone for not trusting your expert opinion on how well these two true freshmen will translate into top notch SEC players based on highlight videos you saw.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 04:27 PM
So you compared what you do to what MLB scouts do. Like I said. Only thing is, they get paid to do it and actually know what they are looking for. They also go to games and actually see the good and bad of players. You don't. So forgive everyone for not trusting your expert opinion on how well these two true freshmen will translate into top notch SEC players based on highlight videos you saw.

Being a fan and posting on a message board? Keep spinning. And actually, yes I do actually go to games and see many of the players.

I guess you get to forgive me for calling you a douchebag.

cheewgumm
09-07-2015, 04:42 PM
JRob sat the bench when he should have been playing, as did Dak.

It's not like there's not a precedent.

As long as we win I guess it doesn't matter but it seems to be what Mullen does.

Smitty
09-07-2015, 04:46 PM

As long as we win I guess it doesn't matter but it seems to be what Mullen does.

When we don't maximize our potential it's an issue. We've had subpar defensive plans specifically that have cost us big. Hopefully Manny remedies this but damn those safeties have got to be better, not 30 yds off the LOS allowing 75% completions across the middle all year

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 05:02 PM

JRob sat the bench as he should have, not because of talent but because of him. Looking back at how his career played out the only thing that ever held JRob back was himself. Including the end of last year. That's not on Mullen but was the right descision for the program as a whole. The Dak deal is very hard to agree with when Tyler had just come off setting school records and we actually did score more in 2012 than 2013. I thought the staff did a good job bringing Dak along after Tyler got hurt with a playbook not really designed to showcase what Dak does best. And don't forget Dak has some games he looked bad as well. He was horrible against LSU and the year before Tyler had thrown great against LSU in Baton Rouge. I think a lot of people believed Dak would be a great fit, me included, but the start of 2013 season Tyler was the #1 QB and people arguing favoritism are somewhat blinded by what they wanted to happen over who was really the best option for that year with what we were running.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Being a fan and posting on a message board? Keep spinning. And actually, yes I do actually go to games and see many of the players.

I guess you get to forgive me for calling you a douchebag.

No, this little dandy.

"The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?"

You are no better a judge of talent than anyone else here, and even if these guys are more athletically talented (which no one is denying), that does not by any means make them better SEC players at the present time. And for you to place your player evaluations of 2 freshmen who have never played college football higher than an entire coaching staff's is psychotic and laughable.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
No, this little dandy.

"The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?"

You are no better a judge of talent than anyone else here, and even if these guys are more athletically talented (which no one is denying), that does not by any means make them better SEC players at the present time. And for you to place your player evaluations of 2 freshmen who have never played college football higher than an entire coaching staff's is psychotic and laughable.

If you took that quote as me comparing myself and what I do as a hobby to what a MLB scout does then you are stupid. Period. Not ignorant. Stupid.

Do you tell people on the political board that they are comparing themselves to politicians? If I talk about cooking a steak, does that mean I am comparing myself to a chef?

That's pretty much what your dumbass is asserting.

Barking 13
09-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Well after I've had a couple days to simmer down, I've come to the realization that the 9 pm start after sitting in a hotel in Hattiesburg all day, the thought process of "we got this", and the general scheme, is why we came out flat. I still have big concerns about the secondary, but what I believe the actual defensive philosophy is to disrupt the QB so the secondary is playing centerfield as insurance. We got some pressure, but not as much as we ought to have.

Intramural All-American
09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
If you took that quote as me comparing myself and what I do as a hobby to what a MLB scout does then you are stupid. Period. Not ignorant. Stupid.

Do you tell people on the political board that they are comparing themselves to politicians? If I talk about cooking a steak, does that mean I am comparing myself to a chef?

That's pretty much what your dumbass is asserting.

Do you sit on the political board and say you can run the country better than the president? Because that's basically what you are saying about our football team. That you know how to manage our players better than our coach based on watching some high school videos. You sir are an idiot. And an oblivious one at that. I pity you, truly. I've wasted too much time on you today, so go ahead and get your last words in because that will be the only win you will have gotten today or yesterday. I'm done.

Todd4State
09-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Do you sit on the political board and say you can run the country better than the president? Because that's basically what you are saying about our football team. That you know how to manage our players better than our coach based on watching some high school videos. You sir are an idiot. And an oblivious one at that. I pity you, truly. I've wasted too much time on you today, so go ahead and get your last words in because that will be the only win you will have gotten today or yesterday. I'm done.

Despite me multiple times admitting that our coaches know more about football than me? Right.

I'm getting the "win" here because you suck at reading comprehension or you are a douchebag that failed at trying to "pile on". You're too stupid to even know what oblivious means- and you probably had to get your boyfriend to look it up for your dumb ass.

And as I speak- there is another thread talking about Dan's questionable personnel decisions. Why don't you go "pity them" as well and tell them that they are oblivious since they don't coach our football team? Since apparently that's the only reason for certain people can have an opinion around here all of a sudden.

Political Hack
09-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Even Nick the Mesiah Saban has never seen a true freshman play a college football game before his first game. That's not really a realistic position to suggest someone can't know what to expect from a freshman because they've never played. There's no other way to predict it other than to predict it. In all honestly, a lot of our fans have seen these kids in high school live WAY more than our coaches can. They just can't make every home high school game in the state. I know a lot of guys that pegged high school kids way more correctly than college coaches. And the ones I trust, I would tell people about on the boards. I got ridiculed out the Ying yang when I said BMac would be a better LB than CJ Johnson. Absolutely blasted... How'd that work out?

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Even Nick the Mesiah Saban has never seen a true freshman play a college football game before his first game. That's not really a realistic position to suggest someone can't know what to expect from a freshman because they've never played. There's no other way to predict it other than to predict it. In all honestly, a lot of our fans have seen these kids in high school live WAY more than our coaches can. They just can't make every home high school game in the state. I know a lot of guys that pegged high school kids way more correctly than college coaches. And the ones I trust, I would tell people about on the boards. I got ridiculed out the Ying yang when I said BMac would be a better LB than CJ Johnson. Absolutely blasted... How'd that work out?

The debate hasn't really been about seeing the players first game as much saying a certain player is better without ever seeing him compete against college players. Like our coaches have been able to do all during fall camp. That's the issue. How can you or anyone make an informed opinion that a true freshman is better than what is playing without seeing that competition during practice this fall. And you know as well as I do you don't see very many freshman safety's come in and start right off the bat. Jamal Adams didn't last year and only really started contributing mid way through the season. And he was more talented and polished than the players we signed.

It's not about if they will end up being great players it's an uninformed opinion that they are already better than what is playing. We can't possibly know that right now.

Political Hack
09-07-2015, 10:13 PM
The debate hasn't really been about seeing the players first game as much saying a certain player is better without ever seeing him compete against college players. Like our coaches have been able to do all during fall camp. That's the issue. How can you or anyone make an informed opinion that a true freshman is better than what is playing without seeing that competition during practice this fall. And you know as well as I do you don't see very many freshman safety's come in and start right off the bat. Jamal Adams didn't last year and only really started contributing mid way through the season. And he was more talented and polished than the players we signed.

It's not about if they will end up being great players it's an uninformed opinion that they are already better than what is playing. We can't possibly know that right now.

oh, i get it. it's a good discussion. both sides have valid concerns/points. If person A doesn't get it done, go to B; but you can't assume B is better given the lack of experience. Hell, this is what message boards are for. carry on!!!

Really Clark?
09-07-2015, 10:21 PM
oh, i get it. it's a good discussion. both sides have valid concerns/points. If person A doesn't get it done, go to B; but you can't assume B is better given the lack of experience. Hell, this is what message boards are for. carry on!!!

That is very true. Message boards are great places to debate these topics.