PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say this...

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 12:49 AM
But everyone who thinks we suck is an idiot. We were two fluke plays away from this game being 41 - 7 and we weren't sharp at all. USM has upgraded their athleticism and QB play substantially. This is not UT-Martin. If you can't see that, please step away from the keyboard.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 12:50 AM
The amount of WTF moments from our secondary, special teams play, and tackling is what people are worried about. That and Dak just looking like he didn't give a 17 about the game.

If you can't see that then maybe you should step away from the keyboard.

GTHOM
09-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Theyre improved but we made them look better than they are.

I do agree anyone who is jumping off a ledge after that is crazy. Look at Mich State and Baylor this week, both were not very sharp on the road vs a smaller in state rival.

I still dont think it excuses us looking like shit tonight at times, but I promise you we will see a much much more motivated and better team next week.

We are going to be ready for LSU

Boya
09-06-2015, 12:58 AM
I agree this game was the prefect set up for lsu

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 12:59 AM
We gave up 37 points to UAB at home last season & two weeks later started a run of beating 3 top 10 teams in a row.

I'm not trying to minimize that we played poorly tonight, but we've got the pieces and the parts. It just has to gel.

The last thing I'm worried about is Dak Prescott & Fred Ross & both of those guys played sub their standard tonight.

Take away South Alabama last year, & we have always struggled with the non-conference road game. A 9:00 game, at USM, on a slick Hockey rink of a field, & we win by 3 scores.

I think there is a lot that can help us from being challenged early in the year. We got better tonight & LSU did not

Here is the most important thing:

Bob Carskadon ‏@bobcarskadon 24m24 minutes ago
Just watched MSU's entire roster jog info the locker room. Did not see a single smile. Players clearly not happy with the performance.

Rayburn8
09-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Everything will be fine guys don't worry.

BeardoMSU
The mental mistakes don't worry me. The wide open WR's/TE's in the middle of the field play after play does, however.

TrapGame
I'm reserving judgment til after LSU. I think they were more focused on next Saturday than this Saturday. If LSU trucks us by 14+ points and it's the LF show for 4 quarters, I'll be pissed then.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Saw Dak joking and laughing it up on the sideline after every subpar drive. He needs to get his head in it

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:02 AM
The amount of WTF moments from our secondary, special teams play, and tackling is what people are worried about. That and Dak just looking like he didn't give a 17 about the game.

If you can't see that then maybe you should step away from the keyboard.

We were not sharp in any way, agreed. We had those moments last year and overcame them. If this post spoke to you, then consider yourself called out. Bottom line, don't make yourself look any more foolish than you've already done.

messageboardsuperhero
09-06-2015, 01:03 AM
The amount of unchecked, open receivers our back seven allowed to run free down the field was very disturbing. Redmond was good, but Cleveland and our LBs were abused all night in the intermediate passing game. We also didn't bring the heat like I had hoped for from Manny- so hopefully we are less vanilla against LSU. One thing I will say in defense of the defense (pun intended) was that our offense and special teams kept them on the field way too damn long. They ran 80 plays to our 66 and pretty much controlled the clock the entire first half. The DL looked pretty good for the most part- the OL was a disappointment to me. Our tackling was horrific.

All in all, I haven't seen us make that many egregious mental errors in a game in a long time. That shit better be out of our system come next week. If not, we will lose and probably by multiple scores. No question about that.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:06 AM
We were not sharp in any way, agreed. We had those moments last year and overcame them. If this post spoke to you, then consider yourself called out. Bottom line, don't make yourself look any more foolish than you've already done.

Bottom line: I don't think this game determines the season but it does point out things that need to be worked on and quickly.

People have a right to be worried about it. I am personally reserving my judgement till next week. I was just pointing out to you that the other side of this debate has a point too.

messageboardsuperhero
09-06-2015, 01:07 AM
We gave up 37 points to UAB at home last season & two weeks later started a run of beating 3 top 10 teams in a row.

I'm not trying to minimize that we played poorly tonight, but we've got the pieces and the parts. It just has to gel.

The last thing I'm worried about is Dak Prescott & Fred Ross & both of those guys played sub their standard tonight.

Take away South Alabama last year, & we have always struggled with the non-conference road game. A 9:00 game, at USM, on a slick Hockey rink of a field, & we win by 3 scores.

I think there is a lot that can help us from being challenged early in the year. We got better tonight & LSU did not

Just watched MSU's entire roster jog info the locker room. Did not see a single smile. Players clearly not happy with the performance.

I can't argue with that. Brandon Harris making his first start of the season in DWS next week is not an ideal situation for them by any means... Even if our pass defense isn't what it needs to be.

Pokechop Womack
09-06-2015, 01:08 AM

Holy $*** put the kool aid down man. We played like dog $*** tonight admit it and stop with the excuses. We should have rolled those guys. Pray we can get it together this week.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:08 AM
Saw Dak joking and laughing it up on the sideline after every subpar drive. He needs to get his head in it

Are you saying Dak doesn't care?

Dak is a pro. This isn't little league rah rah baseball. Dak knew we were going to win & played a little like it was a preseason game.

One reason, IMO, that we tailed off towards the end of last season is because we were emotionally spent. Keeping things loose & easy preserves the intensity for when you need it.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:10 AM

Dak is a pro. This isn't little league rah rah baseball. Dak knew we were going to win & played a little like it was a preseason game.

One reason, IMO, that we tailed off towards the end of last season is because we were emotionally spent. Keeping things loose & easy preserves the intensity for when you need it.
Already said in the other thread that it rubbed me wrong. I'm letting it go. Good talk

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Holy $*** put the kool aid down man. We played like dog $*** tonight admit it and stop with the excuses. We should have rolled those guys. Pray we can get it together this week.

I thought you were banned.

We absolutely should have rolled them tonight, but we didn't. The question is: Does it matter?

If our recent history is any indication, it doesn't. Giving up 37 points to UAB last year had no effect on our team.

I think we'll be fine because many of the mistakes tonight were made by know quantities. My biggest concern is that we have to find a bell cow at RB.

Pokechop Womack
09-06-2015, 01:14 AM
Wh

Just stop.. No offense but "your own opinion" is a miserable opinion. You need to accept the fact we played like crap and that's all there is to it.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:14 AM
I really want Lee or Williams to get a shot at the #2 running back spot next week in place of Holloway.

That said, I'm proud of what Holloway brought tonight. Not his fault that Mullen insists on running him up the middle.

GTHOM
09-06-2015, 01:18 AM

We absolutely should have rolled them tonight, but we didn't. The question is: Does it matter?

If our recent history is any indication, it doesn't. Giving up 37 points to UAB last year had no effect on our team.

I think we'll be fine because many of the mistakes tonight were made by know quantities. My biggest concern is that we have to find a bell cow at RB.

Shump is good enough to get it done. People flipped out on him tonight bc of the fumble. he looked better as the game went on. i dont think he got enough carries personally but thats my opinion

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:21 AM
Dan doesn't utilize Shump correctly (shocker). Shump needs multiple touches to get in the game. He isn't a speed back so for the love of all that is good, QUIT SENDING HIM TO THE EDGE.

Shump is a back that wears on you as the game goes if used properly.

Coach007
09-06-2015, 01:21 AM
I didn't flip out because of the fumble. I flippied out because of his running. We have better backs.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:22 AM
Shump is good enough to get it done. People flipped out on him tonight bc of the fumble. he looked better as the game went on. i dont think he got enough carries personally but thats my opinion

I agree.

I have a sense that we purposefully didn't attempt to establish the run tonight. We ran Shump & Dak very little. I'm curious if we did this to make sure they both 100% for LSU.

We've been watching Mullen for 6+ years now & he always attempts to establish the run game, but tonight was obviously avoiding it.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Bottom line: If we play like that in ANY SEC game we lose. I think we all would agree to that. We probably won't see any worse team than USM this year. M

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:28 AM
I am personally reserving my judgement till next week. I was just pointing out to you that the other side of this debate has a point too.

No arguments, another week like this one and we will be in the hole digging out.

Pokechop Womack
09-06-2015, 01:31 AM

Oh just because I state the obvious you think I should be banned? Get real man. You need to accept the fact we have a lot of improving to do.

GTHOM
09-06-2015, 01:32 AM
I agree.

I have a sense that we purposefully didn't attempt to establish the run tonight. We ran Shump & Dak very little. I'm curious if we did this to make sure they both 100% for LSU.

We've been watching Mullen for 6+ years now & he always attempts to establish the run game, but tonight was obviously avoiding it.

I agree no doubt.

i was sitting here watching us continue to throw the ball, and I thought the exact same thing. I was saying unless there is some secret scheme we are using to run inside and outside zone we are hiding for LSU i have no idea wtf we are doing.

We clearly did not play or coach our game. We were very vanilla and did not run the ball nearly enough.

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:32 AM
I agree.

The read option sets up our run game. When we don't have it working, our run game doesn't work. OM and Bsma were examples last year. As much as I make fun of OM for it, we need to get the screen game going if we're trying to run Dak less. Shrimp is a solid runner but doesn't have the O-line play to carry a huge load.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Bottom line: If we play like that in ANY SEC game we lose. I think we all would agree to that. We probably won't see any worse team than USM this year. M

Agree, we can't play like in an SEC game. Good thing is I doubt we do.

We usually play like crap in this non-conference road game & I don't think it's ever indicated anything about the rest of the season.

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:35 AM

We have to play better than that every week, SEC opponent or not. But i also expect that to be one our worst, if not the worst, games of the year. It is UAB 2014 but on the road.

GTHOM
09-06-2015, 01:35 AM
Agree, we can't play like in an SEC game. Good thing is I doubt we do.

We usually play like crap in this non-conference road game & I don't think it's ever indicated anything about the rest of the season.

except 2012

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 01:37 AM
Waiting for the PTGDF thread. **

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:38 AM
The read option sets up our run game. When we don't have it working, our run game doesn't work. OM and Bsma were examples last year. As much as I make fun of OM for it, we need to get the screen game going if we're trying to run Dsk less. Shrimp is a solid runner but doesn't have the O-line play to carry a huge load.

Agree.

Which is maybe why we usually look awful in these non-conference games. Dan tries to protect Dak and thus never establishes the read option run game.

We have to get better, & I'm actually glad we had some weaknesses exposed in a non-threatening environment. Down to us making an adjustment on kick-off return & not putting Gerri Green in a position to catch the ball, we have the chance to make some adjustments.

I believe we will see the real MSU football team next weekend. Tonight was just a rusty, flat, performance.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2015, 01:40 AM
except 2012

True. This team has far more talent & would run circles around that team.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2015, 01:42 AM
Shump is not an SEC caliber back. I said that when I saw him play in HS. He is a classic tweener. His college postion should have been linebacker or perhaps fullback in team that uses one. He has the nasty streak needed for those but not the speed or quickness for a RB. I have worried about it ever since it became apparent where we would play him. I hope he proves me wrong.

mstatefan91
09-06-2015, 01:43 AM
The ticky tack special team plays by southern miss seemed to be wholly unexpected by our side, but I think it will benefit us in the long run.

17 those buzzards for that shit but respect for doing whatever it takes to win.

SDDawg
09-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Shump is not an SEC caliber back. I said that when I saw him play in HS. He is a classic tweener. His college postion should have been linebacker or perhaps fullback in team that uses one. He has the nasty streak needed for those but not the speed or quickness for a RB. I have worried about it ever since it became apparent where we would play him. I hope he proves me wrong.

I prefer him as a situational back to every down. Short yardage and RZ make sense to me. I think Dak will make him much more effective as he runs a bit more. I want to see more Dontavian Lee, I think he is the guy we can count on to step up.

Dawgface
09-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Agree. A good player, but not a go to RB like Robinson. Really disappointed Lee and Williams didn't play more.

engie
09-06-2015, 07:50 AM

I saw a traditional USM team tonight instead of the last 3 year aberration we had hoped would stay. And a couple really pissed off players that were right on the edge of being recruited by us who many wish would have been that played their asses off. We walked into a hornet's den and were not ready anywhere outside of the starting front 4 on d. It wasn't acceptable, but it isn't worth flipping out about either just yet. That was a 7-5 to 9-3 type conference USA team that could win that league if the ball goes their way and Marshall struggles replacing their qb...

engie
09-06-2015, 07:56 AM
The read option sets up our run game. When we don't have it working, our run game doesn't work. OM and Bsma were examples last year. As much as I make fun of OM for it, we need to get the screen game going if we're trying to run Dak less. Shrimp is a solid runner but doesn't have the O-line play to carry a huge load.
Fact...

Dak could have run for 200 tonight easily. We game planned for him not to run it, USM assumed that we would do that, and they were absolutely selling out to blow up our rbs on those plays, leaving Dak wide open every time. What was the closest they came to stopping him when he pulled one? A 6 yard gain?

Coach34
09-06-2015, 08:17 AM

you really expect a whole lot out of Northwestern State

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Fact...

Dak could have run for 200 tonight easily. We game planned for him not to run it, USM assumed that we would do that, and they were absolutely selling out to blow up our rbs on those plays, leaving Dak wide open every time. What was the closest they came to stopping him when he pulled one? A 6 yard gain?

I think he had a 2-3 yard loss once and maybe another short gain of like 2-3 yards. They happened once they knew we where running him at that point.

I seen it dawg
09-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I'm tired of us being pedestrian and uninspired in these games. ****ing be ready to go and intense. Great teams are crisp and focused and pimp whip teams in these games. We got a ways to go.

Dawgface
09-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm tired of us being pedestrian and uninspired in these games. ****ing be ready to go and intense. Great teams are crisp and focused and pimp whip teams in these games. We got a ways to go.

Ditto. My feelings in a nutshell.

mcdawg
09-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Shump is not good enough. A good back would have walked into the end zone, but he gets caught from behind and spun around/fumbled. He ran out of bounds before the 1st down marker twice because he lacks balance. We runs straight up, so he gets hit at the 5 on that play - an arm tackle and a safety knock him backwards. And, he never beats a guy in the open field because he has no moves. We miss JRob more than anybody.

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 09:47 AM

Yeah that's not always true at all. There have been national champions play some very bad games along the way during a season. Even against weaker opponents. Bama did a few years ago. It happens. Now that's not to say you are pleased at all with last night or concerns but without the stupid stuff in the first half its an even bigger of a blowout while we play it safe. Nobody got hurt and it's an 18 point win. Now go clean the crap up and get dialed in for LSU (which might have been half the problem).

dawgwood
09-06-2015, 09:48 AM
The mental mistakes don't worry me. The wide open WR's/TE's in the middle of the field play after play does, however.
The middle was open alnight.Somebody have gots to stay home.

Pollodawg
09-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I saw a traditional USM team tonight instead of the last 3 year aberration we had hoped would stay. And a couple really pissed off players that were right on the edge of being recruited by us who many wish would have been that played their asses off. We walked into a hornet's den and were not ready anywhere outside of the starting front 4 on d. It wasn't acceptable, but it isn't worth flipping out about either just yet. That was a 7-5 to 9-3 type conference USA team that could win that league if the ball goes their way and Marshall struggles replacing their qb...

This is what nobody's talking about right here. That USM team is light years away from where they were the past couple of seasons. Nobody mentions the load of transfers from big time programs that they trotted out last night or the fact that State had basically nothing to get a read on those new guys with. We walked into that game blind for all intents and purposes.

USM is not that far from being "back." And yes, I mean that.

TrapGame
09-06-2015, 10:22 AM
We played like crap, got their A+ game and still won by 18 at their place. Yet, some of y'all think we'll play even worse next Saturday vs a cold LSU on our home field. SMH.

maroonmania
09-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Shump is not good enough. A good back would have walked into the end zone, but he gets caught from behind and spun around/fumbled. He ran out of bounds before the 1st down marker twice because he lacks balance. We runs straight up, so he gets hit at the 5 on that play - an arm tackle and a safety knock him backwards. And, he never beats a guy in the open field because he has no moves. We miss JRob more than anybody.

I agree with this. The more quickly we can move to either Williams or Lee as the feature back the better off we will be. Its great that Shump is a hard worker and knows his responsibilities as a RB in our system better than anyone else we have BUT, that still doesn't make him an SEC caliber starting RB. And I also agree that if we are going to use him as the primary back he needs to run mainly between the tackles. Sending him wide is useless because he doesn't have the speed or balance to be effective out there most of the time. To me Holloway was by far the most effective RB last night.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2015, 10:44 AM
^^^This^^^

Southern is a good team and should be in the CUSA race this year. Plus they were playing their SB. No excuse for our errors and sloppy play but don't act like we were playing the Starkville High junior varsity.

BulldogBear
09-06-2015, 11:47 AM
I think he had a 2-3 yard loss once and maybe another short gain of like 2-3 yards. They happened once they knew we where running him at that point.

No the big runs came later not earlier. I think the times they stopped him were the first couple of times he pulled it. I'll have to watch the replay to be sure

engie
09-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Dak ran for 5 yards just before halftime. He was sacked for a loss of 5 on same drive. One attempted run before half for 5 yards. His next run went for 48. The next after that went for 2, which got a first down. Next went for 13. Then he had the -2 run. Run for 3. Then run for a TD.

So what was he? About 90% success range? On accomplishing his goals for the plays when designed running?

I know everyone is in melt, but he could have absolutely torched them with his legs at any point that he wanted to imo

Jack Lambert
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM

I think the game plan was to be very average. Only show what you have to show and just win but when USM started the trick plays and the onside kicks, the game was close Dan at half decided to unlesh The Dak and The Bear then put the game away. Just my opinion.

dawgs
09-06-2015, 02:22 PM
The amount of unchecked, open receivers our back seven allowed to run free down the field was very disturbing. Redmond was good, but Cleveland and our LBs were abused all night in the intermediate passing game. We also didn't bring the heat like I had hoped for from Manny- so hopefully we are less vanilla against LSU. One thing I will say in defense of the defense (pun intended) was that our offense and special teams kept them on the field way too damn long. They ran 80 plays to our 66 and pretty much controlled the clock the entire first half. The DL looked pretty good for the most part- the OL was a disappointment to me. Our tackling was horrific.

All in all, I haven't seen us make that many egregious mental errors in a game in a long time. That shit better be out of our system come next week. If not, we will lose and probably by multiple scores. No question about that.

It was such a fluke that they controlled the clock that much in the 1st half though. I'm never going to complain when our first drive quickly leads to what should've been a TD if shumpert doesn't fumble inside the 1. And it was set up by a big pass play to Ross. D stops them after the fumble, then Ross botched the punt return to give them the ball on the 10. Then we return a kickoff for a TD (again, never gonna complain about that). Then later they kick the surprise onside kick. So essentially we had 1 quick drive resulting in a fumble on the goal line and effectively loss 3 offensive possessions to them (muffed punt, onside kick, kickoff return). That set of circumstances is highly highly unlikely to happen again. It was a perfect storm of flukes and trick plays all first half.

Really Clark?
09-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Dak ran for 5 yards just before halftime. He was sacked for a loss of 5 on same drive. One attempted run before half for 5 yards. His next run went for 48. The next after that went for 2, which got a first down. Next went for 13. Then he had the -2 run. Run for 3. Then run for a TD.

So what was he? About 90% success range? On accomplishing his goals for the plays when designed running?

I know everyone is in melt, but he could have absolutely torched them with his legs at any point that he wanted to imo

Yeah that's kind of what I remembered. And of course he left another 100 rushing on the table because of the game plan. I was just saying earlier that he did have a couple of runs stuffed when they keyed on it. But that stuff doesn't bother me. Like the sack. NO Player no matter how good they are will not lose one on one battles from time to time even to supposed weaker opponents.