PDA

View Full Version : James Franklin

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Penn state is down 14 to temple. I just don't understand this. I really thought Franklin was a top flight coach and he has a potential 1st round qb. What's the deal?

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Penn state is down 14 to temple. I just don't understand this. I really thought Franklin was a top flight coach and he has a potential 1st round qb. What's the deal?

It's just his second year and the cupboard was pretty bare when he got there. He's gotta get some players in there. Bill O'Brien is a f'ing miracle worker to do what he did there three years ago. And as a Texans fan, I'm damn glad he's our coach now.

Bothrops
09-05-2015, 05:25 PM
This is weird!

DownwardDawg
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
I never understood the Franklin love.

MetEdDawg
09-05-2015, 05:27 PM

Hackenburg is not a 1st round talent like the NFL and college folks want you to believe. He's just one of the more polished pocket passer types and I think the NFL is trying desperately to hang onto those guys. He's not that good and those who have been pumping him as this great QB just aren't being objective.

As far as Franklin goes, him not being successful surprises the heck out of me. I really thought he could take Penn State back to where they used to be, even with them not having that much talent to work with. They shouldn't lose to Temple regardless of how much talent they have.

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:28 PM
I never understood the Franklin love.

Do you remember vandy pre-Franklin? How about post-franklin? I may have overrated him, but he did a nick Saban type job at vandy

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Hackenburg is not a 1st round talent like the NFL and college folks want you to believe. He's just one of the more polished pocket passer types and I think the NFL is trying desperately to hang onto those guys. He's not that good and those who have been pumping him as this great QB just aren't being objective.

As far as Franklin goes, him not being successful surprises the heck out of me. I really thought he could take Penn State back to where they used to be, even with them not having that much talent to work with. They shouldn't lose to Temple regardless of how much talent they have.

CH hasn't been impressive to me either. Maybe he's just a square peg in their offense or maybe he's just recruiting star hype

MetEdDawg
09-05-2015, 05:43 PM
CH hasn't been impressive to me either. Maybe he's just a square peg in their offense or maybe he's just recruiting star hype

That's what it is with these guys. Look at Nkemdiche. He has the potential to be a high draft pick, but what has he actually done to show an NFL team that he's worth that high of a draft pick? Nothing that I've seen just blows me away. Few good plays here and there but Top 10? Heck no. Same with Hackenburg. Potential from the 5 stars and #1 QB in that class, but what has he done that would make an NFL team take him in the top 10? Nothing that I've seen.

I think a lot of 5 stars are overrated when it comes to NFL stock. What people forget is that 5 stars are most of the time guys who are either more physically mature or imposing coming out of high school or just have ridiculous speed and skills. But that doesn't always mean they have the ability to continue to improve from there so they get evaluated more on potential than actual performance.

Bucky Dog
09-05-2015, 05:51 PM
And I saw on Game Day this morning the "expert" had Hackenberg in his top 5 draft QB's and no Dak.

DownwardDawg
09-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Do you remember vandy pre-Franklin? How about post-franklin? I may have overrated him, but he did a nick Saban type job at vandy

I do remember. He was the best coach vandy had in a while. Not saying much. He brought energy. That's about it. He would have been WAY down my list for a program like Penn State.

scottycameron
09-05-2015, 05:53 PM

franklin and his title earring suck. He's getting exposed now. He was in a perfect situation at Vandy. Got there when the east was way down, and their permanent, OM, had the NUTT meltdown going on. Had some good players at Vandy. He is a very good recruiter, I'll give him that. But not a good coach.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Hackenberg is the Trent Richardson of QBs. All tools and no instincts or vision.

Liverpooldawg
09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Temple hadn't beaten a current Power 5 team at home since 1942. That was during WWII and it was Kansas.