PDA

View Full Version : Unless we are a lot worse than we think, I haven't seen a lot to make me...

IMissJack
09-05-2015, 04:54 PM
panic about the west yet. Of course Bama, A&M yet to play, and hard to get a read on OM based on who they played.

msstate7
09-05-2015, 04:57 PM
I've been impressed with all the west teams. Auburn is a little sloppy, but Louisville is decent

GreenheadDawg
09-05-2015, 05:02 PM
I've been impressed with all the west teams. Auburn is a little sloppy, but Louisville is decent

Decent is probably being generous.

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Decent is probably being generous.

Maybe so. They're the best team an sec team has played yet though

MetEdDawg
09-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Auburn's defense is much improved. But amazingly the offense could be the weak link on this Auburn team. Ricardo Louis was their leading returning rusher and he plays WR. No Coates who lifted the lid big time on defenses last year.

But Johnson is the big difference here. He's raw and not ready yet, but his problem is he's not quite Cam Newton and he's not quite Nick Marshall. Cam had the big arm but was also a bulldozer. Marshall had a pretty good arm too but he had elite speed that saved him on plays that didn't open up. Johnson doesn't have that elite speed and doesn't have the elite arm yet. I think because of that his skill set actually doesn't fit Malzahn's style as well. Marshall is a better QB for that system because of the pure speed. I think Johnson can be very good but I'm not sure his skill set is the best for Auburn's offense.

OM is tough to read but you have to be impressed with the WRs. Kelly is better than Bo so that's going to be tough to stop. I think the OM OL is still going to be an issue, especially in Tunsil misses more time, so good DLs and an experienced secondary should be able to beat them. Mizzou isn't doing anything special against SE Missouri State. Arkansas is winning big with no surprise there. Interested to see how tonight goes.

I seen it dawg
09-05-2015, 05:09 PM
The year of 15

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:11 PM
The year of 15

I hope so. You've made some good calls. Hopefully, this is another one

Dawgowar
09-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Auburn's defense is much improved. But amazingly the offense could be the weak link on this Auburn team. Ricardo Louis was their leading returning rusher and he plays WR. No Coates who lifted the lid big time on defenses last year.

But Johnson is the big difference here. He's raw and not ready yet, but his problem is he's not quite Cam Newton and he's not quite Nick Marshall. Cam had the big arm but was also a bulldozer. Marshall had a pretty good arm too but he had elite speed that saved him on plays that didn't open up. Johnson doesn't have that elite speed and doesn't have the elite arm yet. I think because of that his skill set actually doesn't fit Malzahn's style as well. Marshall is a better QB for that system because of the pure speed. I think Johnson can be very good but I'm not sure his skill set is the best for Auburn's offense.

OM is tough to read but you have to be impressed with the WRs. Kelly is better than Bo so that's going to be tough to stop. I think the OM OL is still going to be an issue, especially in Tunsil misses more time, so good DLs and an experienced secondary should be able to beat them. Mizzou isn't doing anything special against SE Missouri State. Arkansas is winning big with no surprise there. Interested to see how tonight goes.

Malzahn will tinker with the offense. Credit where it is due. Auburn, vile cheating cheaters that they are, will be proficient on offense by the time we play. Would agree though that they may be missing that fear factor - scary WR or home run running back that made earlier Malzahn offenses nightmares. QB won't be their big gun this year.

bulldawg28
09-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Auburn is worst on offense and the same on defense. They're playing man across the board. We're going to destroy Auburn playing that. That's exactly what they played last year and Dak carved them up.

IMissJack
09-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Auburn is worst on offense and the same on defense. They're playing man across the board. We're going to destroy Auburn playing that. That's exactly what they played last year and Dak carved them up.

So far, it appears to me that AU offense is missing Cameron Artis-Payne a lot.

GreenheadDawg
09-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Maybe so. They're the best team an sec team has played yet though

That is true

bulldawg28
09-05-2015, 05:24 PM
So far, it appears to me that AU offense is missing Cameron Artis-Payne a lot.

Aaaaanddd Nick Marshall. They're running backs are only straight ahead downhill and without a running Qb they're terrible. I believe LSU will beat them before we do.

msstate7
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Aaaaanddd Nick Marshall

I'm glad Marshall is gone. That dude scared me to death

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Aaaaanddd Nick Marshall

For all the shit fans gave him for being a former DB, Marshall was a good passer. Certainly not elite, but he got the job done. Johnson may have the better pure arm, but Marshall is infinitely better upstairs. If it was just about arm strength, Jamarcus Russell wouldn't be one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Auburn's defense is much improved.

This is what the media does and it drives me nuts.

What evidence do you have of this?

Auburn gave up 14 points last year on the road at K-State, who had a better offense than this Louisville team.

I'm not saying that Auburn will or won't be better on defense, but anyone making this statement after watching Auburn's defense play well against a Louisville team playing a true freshman QB, is an incredible snap judgement that, at this point, has little to support it.

1st game snap judgements are of little use. The teams have no film on each other.

Remember when Kenny Trill was leading the Heisman race after the first week last year?

I think in week one people see what they want to see, and don't see things objectively

for example: we hear all off season how much better Muschamp will make Auburn's defense, thus before Auburn enters the 4th quarter of their first game, people are already saying that Auburn's defense is better. The same could be true for our game tonight. One bad play and all the media will say they were right on MSU. They are simply seeing what they choose to see.

MetEdDawg
09-05-2015, 05:34 PM
This is what the media does and it drives me nuts.

What evidence do you have of this?

Auburn gave up 14 points last year on the road at K-State, who had a better offense than this Louisville team.

I'm not saying that Auburn will or won't be better on defense, but anyone making this statement after watching Auburn's defense play well against a Louisville team playing a true freshman QB, is an incredible snap judgement that, at this point, has little to support it.

1st game snap judgements are of little use. The teams have no film on each other.

Remember when Kenny Trill was leading the Heisman race after the first week last year?

I think in week one people see what they want to see, and don't see things objectively

for example: we hear all off season how much better Muschamp will make Auburn's defense, thus before Auburn enters the 4th quarter of their first game, people are already saying that Auburn's defense is better. The same could be true for our game tonight. One bad play and all the media will say they were right on MSU. They are simply seeing what they choose to see.

Auburn tackled like garbage in that game against K State. They should have lost that game. But Auburn is tackling much better today and are pursuing the ball considerably better than last year. They are going to be better, especially since Lawson is back healthy. Him and Adams are beasts and they should be more disruptive on the DL this year because of that.

That being said, I don't think they will be world beaters, I just think they will be better. Their defense should be ridiculous with all of the talent they've recruited but I think they have severely underperformed on that side the last few years considering the talent they have supposedly recruited.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Auburn tackled like garbage in that game against K State. They should have lost that game. But Auburn is tackling much better today and are pursuing the ball considerably better than last year. They are going to be better , especially since Lawson is back healthy. Him and Adams are beasts and they should be more disruptive on the DL this year because of that.

Maybe they will be better or maybe they won't be better. I know that Louisville has scored more points today than K-State did last year.

I've seen some Louisville guy running wide open as well.

Again, you may be right, but I don't believe there is enough evidence to make this statement at this point.

IMissJack
09-05-2015, 05:43 PM
They're running backs are only straight ahead downhill and without a running Qb they're terrible.

I hope we don't have the same issue this year. Shump tends to be the same way.

bulldawg28
09-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I hope we don't have the same issue this year. Shump tends to be the same way.

What does Shumpert have anything to do with this? We have Prescott that makes up for it. Our backs are supposed to go downhill. Our playaction works off of it.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Auburn tackled like garbage in that game against K State. They should have lost that game. But Auburn is tackling much better today and are pursuing the ball considerably better than last year. They are going to be better, especially since Lawson is back healthy. Him and Adams are beasts and they should be more disruptive on the DL this year because of that.

That being said, I don't think they will be world beaters, I just think they will be better. Their defense should be ridiculous with all of the talent they've recruited but I think they have severely underperformed on that side the last few years considering the talent they have supposedly recruited.

You still like that Auburn defense?

msstate7
09-05-2015, 06:01 PM
You still like that Auburn defense?

I wanna see dak scramble, not designed runs.

IMissJack
09-05-2015, 06:10 PM
What does Shumpert have anything to do with this? We have Prescott that makes up for it. Our backs are supposed to go downhill. Our playaction works off of it.

Are you saying that Shumpert runs as shifty as Josh Robinson did? He is a good back, but 2 different styles.

bulldawg28
09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Are you saying that Shumpert runs as shifty as Josh Robinson did? He is a good back, but 2 different styles.

Nope. I'm saying Shumpert is downhill where he's supposed to be. Bouncing outside last year was our downfall at the end of the year with Robinson

Liverpooldawg
09-05-2015, 07:03 PM
A&M are actually looking the best of any SEC team I have watched. This is a quality opponent too. Then again so was South Carolina last year.

scottycameron
09-05-2015, 07:16 PM
A&M looks better of D, they have a freshman DT who is going to be very very good. OM could be scary good. Kelly has a damn cannon (where did that come from, I thought he had a weak arm, that;s some shitty scouting by you guys) and with the wideouts it's dangerous. They will be as good as that OL lets them be and you can't tell about them yet. Arky looks good, but not great. They (Allen) threw it well which has to be encouraging for them. AU doesn't scare me at all. Defense is pretty good, not great, Johnsons is not a great runner and not nearly as good throwing the ball as he was hyped to be. Big strong arm but just chunks all over the place and hopes. Typical. Don't know about LSU or Bama yet. Will find out soon what we got. Got a good feeling it's gonna be a game like the OM-UTM game. Not that bad _ USM is a LOT better than UTM, but the same type of never in doubt scrimmage game. We will see a lot about Bama here in a minute. See if their offense and QB can produce.

Coach34
09-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Auburn's DL is good- their Secondary has alot of questions

BossDawg
09-05-2015, 07:37 PM

I can't wait to see Kelly go up against a team with some speed that can tackle. I wasn't able to watch hardly any of their game today, but if Kelly is indeed better than Bo, then I can't see anything stopping them from winning the West, especially if they get their running game critiqued properly.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Auburn's defense is much improved.

What? Did we watch the same game? Maybe I have forgotten how bad au's D was last year, but I was not impressed at how Muschamp's D handled a true freshman mobile QB. I think we match up well with them this year.

scottycameron
09-05-2015, 07:56 PM
I can't wait to see Kelly go up against a team with some speed that can tackle. I wasn't able to watch hardly any of their game today, but if Kelly is indeed better than Bo, then I can't see anything stopping them from winning the West, especially if they get their running game critiqued properly.

WTF? Yeah he's much better than Bo, but what the **** does that have to do with them winning the West? They ain't winning the west. Period.

msstate7
09-05-2015, 08:06 PM
WTF? Yeah he's much better than Bo, but what the **** does that have to do with them winning the West? They ain't winning the west. Period.

Not sure he's better than bo just yet. Here's the other 2 qb's numbers...

RB -- 4/6 58 yards 2 td
DK -- 6/7 55 yds 1 td

So this tells me either they vastly improved this offseason or OM destroyed a juco team.

Kelly certainly has more talent than Bo, but that doesn't mean he'll be better

BossDawg
09-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Because they were pretty damn close to doing it last year with Bo. I was just replying to MetEd in a civil way. Chill....

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2015, 08:58 PM
A&M are actually looking the best of any SEC team I have watched. This is a quality opponent too. Then again so was South Carolina last year.

Uhhhhh.....no.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I think the best team I've seen so far is Bama. Offense looks pretty good. D seems solid. And we know Wisconsin is a legit team.

aTm has trouble at QB if Allen can't get it together. Murray can run, but he sure as hell can't pass. Their D is a lot better than I anticipated, though.