PDA

View Full Version : Whats the rule on two players wearing the same number on offense?

Jack Lambert
09-05-2015, 02:08 PM
The reason I ask Ole Miss had two seperate players score that both were wearing number five? Lounge and RN both score TD's and both wore number five.

TheRef
09-05-2015, 02:15 PM
2015 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations

Rule 1, Section 4, Article 2, Part b: No two players of the same team shall participate in the same down wearing identical numbers.

So as long as they don't play on the same down, it's okay.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Treadwell & Bridges both wear #1.

Not sure why they do that. I'd want my own number

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2015, 02:47 PM
2015 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations

Rule 1, Section 4, Article 2, Part b: No two players of the same team shall participate in the same down wearing identical numbers.

So as long as they don't play on the same down, it's okay.

They've changed the rule. It used to be that you couldn't play on either side of the ball at all wearing the same number, not just on the same play. Ridiculous change. Two #5s, in this case, shouldn't both b able to play offense.

BulldogBear
09-05-2015, 03:01 PM
They've changed the rule. It used to be that you couldn't play on either side of the ball at all wearing the same number, not just on the same play. Ridiculous change. Two #5s, in this case, shouldn't both b able to play offense.

This. Idk whY they changed jt. Can give the team an unfair advantage I'm my opnion

Quaoarsking
09-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Also, two players can't share a number if they could conceivably be confused for each other. I think Lane Kiffin got in trouble at USC for that?

It's also why RK had to switch to #99 during the 2013 Egg Bowl because he was running the ball and Ole Miss had another RB with that number.