PDA

View Full Version : I think I have an understanding on the issue

archdog
09-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Listening to CBS radio while driving. Some guy mentioned that anyone in the secw can win except MSU. He went on and on about returning players and new players that will have impact on every team except us. Then I started thinking on why this is.

Do we not pump up our "next" guy. When Shump comes out and starts running folks over and ESPN starts interviewing Dak, Shump, Wilsom, Ross etc, we need everyone to discuss what makes them awesome, then switch gears and highlighting other players that are not getting much praise. When they ask about Chris Jones, we should plug AJ Jefferson. When they ask Dak about Derunnya, he needs to mention in specific detail what Derunnya is doing well and then add in Ross, Brown, Myles etc. We need to expand the players the media talks about. So far, we have allowed the media to pick out our players to highlight. Other teams constantly talk about different players getting more awareness.

Just something I have noticed over the past few years. Where we mention other guys, other teams challenge the media to review the play of other guys. Two years later, that player is highlighted as a big plus for the team because people know about them.

MadDawg
09-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Don't look now but Louisiana Tech is on the schedule. I think the media believe this will be our Tech and 11 season.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Listening to CBS radio while driving. Some guy mentioned that anyone in the secw can win except MSU. He went on and on about returning players and new players that will have impact on every team except us. Then I started thinking on why this is.

Do we not pump up our "next" guy. When Shump comes out and starts running folks over and ESPN starts interviewing Dak, Shump, Wilsom, Ross etc, we need everyone to discuss what makes them awesome, then switch gears and highlighting other players that are not getting much praise. When they ask about Chris Jones, we should plug AJ Jefferson. When they ask Dak about Derunnya, he needs to mention in specific detail what Derunnya is doing well and then add in Ross, Brown, Myles etc. We need to expand the players the media talks about. So far, we have allowed the media to pick out our players to highlight. Other teams constantly talk about different players getting more awareness.

Just something I have noticed over the past few years. Where we mention other guys, other teams challenge the media to review the play of other guys. Two years later, that player is highlighted as a big plus for the team because people know about them.

They are just repeating what the ignorant media has said. Will be interested to see if they start changing their tune after watching us play

RougeDawg
09-04-2015, 10:51 AM
The media is lazy in general. They read headlines, take the for Gospel, and run with the story.The national sports media reminds me of the game every kindergarten classroom plays. Where you sit in a circle and each person has to verbally pass the message to their neighbor. By the end the message is completely skewed and off base. Our message started off, "they lost some 1sr round defenders" and ended up "they lost a ton of starters and will have to play inexperienced players". This all occurred over a few months without any of those morons looking into who actually played what snaps and who were our better players last year. Those idiots don't even know that Chris Jones wasn't a "starter" last year. He was on the "B" group.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Lets just accept the respect. I pretty sure it's got the team fired up. I think this does them more good than being pumped up and loved.

BulldogBear
09-04-2015, 12:17 PM
For all the griping I do about it, I actually like being the underdog. My complaints are more disbelief that they're so stupid.

Enjoy it though. It's kind of like listening to that person go on and on about something he's done or place he's been to a group of smitten girls, not knowing that you know he hasn't done that or been there and just waiting for the right moment to blowwwwww his house down.

scottycameron
09-04-2015, 12:29 PM

who cares about preseason? Nothing good ever comes out of preseason.
Ask Rosebowl.
The best preseason scenario is exactly what is happening now. No pressure, let it rip. Just like last year. The worst thing that can happen is gertting erverybody from the outside pn the bandwagon then falling on your face.
We are in a perfect spot as it is.

Barking 13
09-04-2015, 01:43 PM
who cares about preseason? Nothing good ever comes out of preseason.
Ask Rosebowl.
The best preseason scenario is exactly what is happening now. No pressure, let it rip. Just like last year. The worst thing that can happen is gertting erverybody from the outside pn the bandwagon then falling on your face. We are in a perfect spot as it is.

Like baseball last year

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Anybody else wish we were opening with lsu?

IMissJack
09-04-2015, 02:34 PM
For all the griping I do about it, I actually like being the underdog. My complaints are more disbelief that they're so stupid.

Enjoy it though. It's kind of like listening to that person go on and on about something he's done or place he's been to a group of smitten girls, not knowing that you know he hasn't done that or been there and just waiting for the right moment to blowwwwww his house down.

I do think this constant negative spew from the press affects recruiting. Also, most of you guys probably live within 150 miles of MSU. For those of us that live 500 or more miles away, it gets darn frustrating getting this crap coverage. I had hoped MSU would advance some with the press under Stricklin, but we still can't seem to get traction. I'm for cutting off press privileges for people like Sallee at this point.

BiscuitEater
09-04-2015, 03:42 PM
over on the SEC Rant .. hard to believe 'cause there aren't many good ones1

OP was .. "What percentage of your team's two deep depth chart is SOs and FR"?

MSU's 2-deep is ONLY 27% SOs & FR .. lowest of the 12 SEC teams that responded (OM and USCe were not listed)

UT's was like 60% .. most were in the ~40-50% range.

ERGO .. yes, State lost a lot of starters .. BUT 73% of those that are going to see the vast majority of playing time are experienced JRs and SRs.