PDA

View Full Version : Rankin

Beaver
09-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Hearing on Out of Bounds that Rankin is likely redshirting and may not even belong on a Power 5 team. A caller also said he has character flaws... Seems we've mostly discussed how Rankin redshirting is a good sign, but now I'm worried.

msstate7
09-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Who on OOB said that?

mic
09-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks for sharing....

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Hearing on Out of Bounds that Rankin is likely redshirting and may not even belong on a Power 5 team. A caller also said he has character flaws... Seems we've mostly discussed how Rankin redshirting is a good sign, but now I'm worried.

Why would you worry about an Ole Miss fan saying that?

Beaver
09-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Bo said he's heard that Rankin might not belong on a Power 5 team. The caller said he's heard 'around campus' that Rankin had character flaws. Figured he was referring to MSU's campus but who knows.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2015, 09:56 AM
The caller said he's heard 'around campus' that Rankin had character flaws.

Well that's that, then I guess***

thunderclap
09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Well, I heard different. So that evens out.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Bo said he's heard that Rankin might not belong on a Power 5 team. The caller said he's heard 'around campus' that Rankin had character flaws. Figured he was referring to MSU's campus but who knows.

1 thing Martinas doesn't have is character flaws.

Homedawg
09-04-2015, 10:02 AM
The only thing accurate from the op was the part about red shirting. The rest is bs.

msstate7
09-04-2015, 10:04 AM
The only thing accurate from the op was the part about red shirting. The rest is bs.

Bo saying a kid isn't P5 worthy before game 1 of his career... What a tool

Beaver
09-04-2015, 10:04 AM
1 thing Martinas doesn't have is character flaws.

Ah ok good, thanks coach.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2015, 10:07 AM

How do you all listen to that show?

Alldawg
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Did the caller fear for his soul***

Jack Lambert
09-04-2015, 10:23 AM
JUCO football in MIssissippi is no joke. These guys are there mostly because they needed a little time or just didn't have the grades. If you are ranted that high as a lineman you are good. I think the guys who have been in MSU system for a few years are just better right now.

DanDority
09-04-2015, 10:31 AM
How do you all listen to that show?

Best question of the thread!

I seen it dawg
09-04-2015, 10:37 AM

You be trolling....and hatin. Gone catch you ridin dirty

Coach34
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Rankin needs more strength and maturity. He does not have any character problems. He is going to RS because he and Jenkins are basically equal- and Jenkins has already RS'ed. Nothing more- nothing less

Coach34
09-04-2015, 10:47 AM
And that's a credit to Jenkins- as he and Calhoun are both being called the best OL recruits under Mullen to date

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes that must be it. There is no way that a good TE that took a year to learn LT would be good enough to start unless Rankin was a bust. Look for Staley to also be a bust since Dak was only a 3 star. No way Staley is any good since he isn't starting.

hailmari
09-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Dammit beaver..

CadaverDawg
09-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Well, after this shitastic post....

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/60264866.jpg

Coach34
09-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Oh- and another reason we are RS'ing Rankin- we are JR-heavy on the OL:

Clayborn
Senior
Johnson
Desper
Rankin
Carter

RS'ing Rankin drops that number by 1 to even up things a little more

HoopsDawg
09-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Oh- and another reason we are RS'ing Rankin- we are JR-heavy on the OL:

Clayborn
Senior
Johnson
Desper
Rankin
Carter

RS'ing Rankin drops that number by 1 to even up things a little more

It does make a lot of sense to redshirt Rankin IF Warren and Senior stay healthy and IF Warren is getting the job done at LT. I can tell you that up until this week Rankin has been getting reps with the 1's and he and Calhoun are the only 2 who were working in with the 1's. And I can tell you that Rankin does NOT want to redshirt so the the coaches are going to have to convince him it's the best move for his future.

Beaver
09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;404537]Well, after this shitastic post....

Oops. Didn't realize that on message boards you're not allowed to relay information you hear (whether it be a so-called 'source' or a morning radio show) and get other peoples' (who also have heard information) opinions on it.

Coach34
09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
It does make a lot of sense to redshirt Rankin IF Warren and Senior stay healthy and IF Warren is getting the job done at LT. I can tell you that up until this week Rankin has been getting reps with the 1's and he and Calhoun are the only 2 who were working in with the 1's. And I can tell you that Rankin does NOT want to redshirt so the the coaches are going to have to convince him it's the best move for his future.

If Warren or Senior get hurt- the RS will come off

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;404537]Well, after this shitastic post....

Oops. Didn't realize that on message boards you're not allowed to relay information you hear (whether it be a so-called 'source' or a morning radio show) and get other peoples' (who also have heard information) opinions on it.

Well your first mistake was taking anything from Bo Bounds and calling it the gospel ( no offense to your coach). If Rankin was playing for OM, Bo would declare him next years first draft pick

Beaver
09-04-2015, 01:22 PM
You be trolling....and hatin. Gone catch you ridin dirty

Ha, why does everyone who has a concern become a trolling hater?

Beaver
09-04-2015, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Beaver;404569]

Well your first mistake was taking anything from Bo Bounds and calling it the gospel ( no offense to your coach). If Rankin was playing for OM, Bo would declare him next years first draft pick

When did I say it was a true statement??

RiverCityDawg
09-04-2015, 01:39 PM

So when we start thrashing Southern Saturday night and all backups come in, should we expect to see Jenkins and Carter at left and right tackle?

Bubb Rubb
09-04-2015, 02:34 PM
JUCO football in MIssissippi is no joke. These guys are there mostly because they needed a little time or just didn't have the grades. If you are ranted that high as a lineman you are good. I think the guys who have been in MSU system for a few years are just better right now.

This logic is one reason why I think Gray is going to show out. There's only enough footballs to go around but that cat is going to be special.

Coach34
09-04-2015, 02:37 PM
So when we start thrashing Southern Saturday night and all backups come in, should we expect to see Jenkins and Carter at left and right tackle?

that was the plan I was told

Bully13
09-04-2015, 03:46 PM

This post sux as bad as the freezus pic with gatoraid

NYDawg
09-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Thank you! I almost went to sleep tonight without knowing what someone said someone else thinks might be an explanation for why a new player might redshirt. Without it, I wouldn't know that someone who is sufficiently sophisticated that he can DIAL A PHONE said that he has heard "around campus" (surely someone with such mastery of technology runs in high circles) that this player has "character flaws." Don't get mad at the haters; they're just as "worried" by this shocking "information" as you are.***

Barking 13
09-04-2015, 04:36 PM
He only has "character flaws" because he came to Starkvegas... in Oxford, he'd be a saint.... consider the source

I seen it dawg
09-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Ha, why does everyone who has a concern become a trolling hater?

You pulled it from a call to a show? It's trolling ****stick like we do on their boards. it's straight up throwing shit out to make the board do stupid shit. Poor effort.

Madisonmd
09-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Regardless of the show, or who said what, all one had to do was watch the spring game and see Rankin is not ready. Does that mean he's a bust? Not hardly, even though most JC kids are expected to help immediately. One of our players told us Rankin had been struggling in the spring with the strength and speed of this level of comp. Maybe a RS gets him up to par and he contributes/starts for two years. Because, he is not challenging for a start now, for sure. A RS yr could be the best answer for our program and the kid. Have never heard character issues being in play here. But , never say never.

HSVDawg
09-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Only reason I don't want him to redshirt is because if he's as good as his recruiting hype indicated then next year is going to be his last year regardless. If he's not as good as advertised and is just another Siddoway or Denico Autry, that would obviously be disappointing as well.

archdog
09-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Yeah Denico is in the nfl.

Coach34
09-04-2015, 06:33 PM

and Siddoway was going to sign FA until he got arrested

Rankin will be in an NFL camp after he is done at State. He is a young Jr and needs some maturity. In spite of the pundits- we have some talent on our OL and people just cant walk in and take spots

SDDawg
09-04-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm tired of these OM IDIOTS/SHITBIRDS/MISCREANTS seeding some hate on our boards.

Let's talk about MGK "rollin'" in Oxford for a bit, shall we? At least that shit is true...

Dallas_Dawg
09-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm tired of these OM IDIOTS/SHITBIRDS/MISCREANTS seeding some hate on our boards.

Let's talk about MGK "rollin'" in Oxford for a bit, shall we? At least that shit is true...

Let's hear about it

Homedawg
09-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Only reason I don't want him to redshirt is because if he's as good as his recruiting hype indicated then next year is going to be his last year regardless. If he's not as good as advertised and is just another Siddoway or Denico Autry, that would obviously be disappointing as well.

No... No it's not. He's not an nfl first rounder. Juco all American doesn't make you that. Sorry, it just doesn't. There is obviously an outside shot he plays- but I assure you that is not what we want. And if we redshirt him and hev coaches him up so great that he can come out- I'm all for it!

Todd4State
09-04-2015, 10:25 PM

If Warren or Senior struggle, would we just start Jenkins? That makes sense to me because I believe the Rankin probably needs to RS.

I think Jenkins is going to be legit- another guy 2-3 years from now that people are going to wonder where Dan found them and he becomes a top 2 round pick.

Todd4State
09-04-2015, 10:29 PM
The reality is Rankin was "overhyped". But at the same time, I don't think that means he will be a bust. His film was mainly from practice and things like that on the recruiting web sites- which I thought was weird at the time.

But with JUCO's it's totally different with Dan than it was Jackie. We are a developmental program- and the longer you are in the program the more of an advantage you have in terms of earning playing time. So even if you are JUCO all world, if you come to MSU you have a long row to hoe.

Something to think about the next time our next JUCO all world recruit comes across the board.

HSVDawg
09-04-2015, 10:48 PM

Yeah, he is. Wasn't drafted though. And for the most part was not a major impact player for us (not saying he was bad, but he didn't stand out) You could make an argument that Preston Smith as a sophomore could have potentially had the same or better production as Autry as a senior given the same playing time. But that's neither here nor there.

The larger point is that when you sign JUCO's, you want impact guys that can at least come in and fill a need right away (and preferably start). That is kind of the whole point of JUCO recruiting, the trade-off between only half the amount of eligibility but getting immediate production. If you sign a JUCO and end up redshirting him, to me that somewhat defeats the whole purpose of recruiting JUCO's. We've done that several times now under Mullen and its somewhat of an annoyance. If we bring in a JUCO and end up redshirting him, I'd almost rather that scholarship just go to a high school kid with full eligibilty. I know you can't always read the tea leaves with these kids, but we really haven't had an impact JUCO come in since Ballard and McPhee in 2009. We may just need to rethink our strategy a bit when it comes to JUCO's.

Coach34
09-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Slay was a 2nd rounder and couldnt even start his 1st year- its just a different time

KB21
09-04-2015, 10:53 PM
If Warren or Senior struggle, would we just start Jenkins? That makes sense to me because I believe the Rankin probably needs to RS.

I think Jenkins is going to be legit- another guy 2-3 years from now that people are going to wonder where Dan found them and he becomes a top 2 round pick.

Another player who will redshirt this year and, in 2-3 years from now, many will wonder where Dan found him is Michael Story. That kid is going to be very good. You don't see many high school linemen that have his footwork. He will need a redshirt year to build strength and bulk up, but the raw athletic ability and the feet are there. I'm hoping we can get Tommy Champion in next year as a sophomore. He might even redshirt his first year on campus, and if that is the case, it would be very nice to break out Champion and Story as third year sophomores together.

I seen it dawg
09-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Rankin is rs for the good of him and the program. It's really simple stop trying to make a big ****ing deal about it.