PDA

View Full Version : So TCU returns 10 offensive starters and can't break 30 last night

drunkernhelldawg
09-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Does that mean anything regarding last year's relevance to this year?

Really Clark?
09-04-2015, 07:57 AM
That Minnesota's defense may be better than a pretty good defense from last year. They held them to 30, TCU's lowest total from last year as well. First game of the season, on the road, etc. and they hold them to 7 points less than what TCU did last year. I was actually more impressed with Minnesota scoring enough to stay within a TD. They lost a really good back from last year. Overall, I don't take a road win against a well coached P5 team and hold it against a team in an opening game like that. Kill is a very good coach and good defensive mind.

drunkernhelldawg
09-04-2015, 08:08 AM
That Minnesota's defense may be better than a pretty good defense from last year. They held them to 30, TCU's lowest total from last year as well. First game of the season, on the road, etc. and they hold them to 7 points less than what TCU did last year. I was actually more impressed with Minnesota scoring enough to stay within a TD. They lost a really good back from last year. Overall, I don't take a road win against a well coached P5 team and hold it against a team in an opening game like that. Kill is a very good coach and good defensive mind.

Good points. But they put up 42 on Ole Miss in the bowl game last season. They got worse offensively as the game progressed. Minnesota would have won the game sans two devastating red zone turnovers in the first half.
I predicted we'd score 51 and Dak would have 4 td passes. I'm thinking about making a small edit in that thread.

Really Clark?
09-04-2015, 08:31 AM
You can't take what they did in the bowl game and project that the offense should put up more points. Kill has had all offseason to work up this game. Not saying Patterson and the offense didn't work and game plan either but opening games are notorious for these type of deals. Especially on the road. And historically Thursday night home dogs make good showings a good percentage of the time. And didn't TCU turn the ball over as well? I just don't think you can put huge stock on what a team ultimately will be from an opening game. Didn't a 7-6 WV team hang with Bama on a neutral site last year? And they took TCU to the wire last year at home losing 31-30.

BulldogBear
09-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Who was it that said in the media earlier this week (maybe on OOB) that OSU was #1, TCU was #2 and then there was a huge gap to everyone else?

Minnesota say NO

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Here is what I know:

1. TCU was a bad team two years ago

2. They looked small last night.

3. MSU has more talent and will have more players drafted.

4. TCU is extremely well coached.

5. TCU plays a schedule that only has 2 or 3 teams on it that can potentially beat them.

6. Minnesota's offense and QB is an abomination.

7. Kentucky has more talent than Minnesota.

Other than this, I have no idea what TCU is. IMO, they are a 4 or 5 place team in the SEC West with less talent than that.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
All they remotely have is Boykin and I'd take Dak over him all day long. If he goes down they'd struggle against any team with a pulse. Amazing the hype some teams get for playing a glorified Div. 2 schedule.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2015, 08:59 AM
I think it showed that playing a top 25-30 team on the road in a season opener is tough no matter who you are. No elite team cruises through any schedule without some scares or bad performances along the way. Not calling TCU elite just saying all top teams have games where they don't look their best. The great teams still find a way to win those games.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I think it showed that playing a top 25-30 team on the road in a season opener is tough no matter who you are. No elite team cruises through any schedule without some scares or bad performances along the way. Not calling TCU elite just saying all top teams have games where they don't look their best. The great teams still find a way to win those games.

Are you saying Minnesota is a top 30 team?

If so, go position by position and compare them to Kentucky.

QuadrupleOption
09-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Does that mean anything regarding last year's relevance to this year?

I heard it mentioned last night that Minnesota had 5 turnovers in last year's game that allowed TCU to run up the score. So I think it's more of the same - TCU was able to capitalize on Minnesota mistake better than vice-versa.

Minnesota is better than people would like to give them credit for, and TCU is the beneficiary of the pre-season hype machine. I don't think they are head and shoulders better than everyone else in the country. They just play good defense and are very well coached.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2015, 09:15 AM

I'm saying they're nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make them. They are a solid ball club who will win 8-9 games & yes I'd take them over Kentucky.

Pollodawg
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
If Boykin is Dak's biggest competition for a spot in NYC........

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm saying they're nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make them. They are a solid ball club who will win 8-9 games & yes I'd take them over Kentucky.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Kentucky. Kentucky's QB is far superior.

Winning 8-9 games in the Big 10 isn't saying much. I wish people could actually realize how good teams are instead of factoring in schedules

BeardoMSU
09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
If Boykin is Dak's biggest competition for a spot in NYC........

Indeed.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llsirrzV1T1qaa163o1_500.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Winning 8-9 games in the Big 10 isn't saying much. I wish people could actually realize how good teams are instead of factoring in schedules

So you're saying that you don't think Minnesota could be a below .500 team in the SEC the last 4yrs like Kentucky has. You mention Towles. Take away his amazing performance against MSU & he's a 57% completion guy who threw for 2300yds & 12TD/9INT plus 227yds rushing. So he's basically a guy who throws for 209yds/game, 1TD/game, & 22yds rushing/game. He's the guy you're hanging your hat on in this discussion?

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:01 AM
So you're saying that you don't think Minnesota could be a below .500 team in the SEC the last 4yrs like Kentucky has. You mention Towles. Take away his amazing performance against MSU & he's a 57% completion guy who threw for 2300yds & 12TD/9INT plus 227yds rushing. So he's basically a guy who throws for 209yds/game, 1TD/game, & 22yds rushing/game. He's the guy you're hanging your hat on in this discussion?

Looking at overall talent, not statistics.

Statistics are based heavily upon who you play. I'm perfectly capable of determining which team is bigger, faster, & stronger, & which QB is bigger, more athletic, & has a strong arm.

Of course, there is no way that I can prove what I'm saying, but, from an evaluation standpoint, Kentucky has better players than Minnesota.

I don't want the main point to get lost here. TCU is a good but not elite team. IMO, by the eye test, they look like a team that should be ranked between 11-15, not #2.

So much of college football rankings are determined by a teams schedule & predicted record, rather than the actual quality of the team.

Really Clark?
09-04-2015, 10:02 AM

I agree with this. They did lose some offense so maybe 7-9 wins this year. But they are well coached. MN lost to OSU late in the season at home 31-24 (their only home loss) and by 10 to Wisconsin on the road the last game of the year. Beat MI in Ann Harbor. They are a good team and again Thursday night home dogs preform very well a lot of times. As far as Kentucky, they beat a 7-6 So Carolina team last year. That's been their only win against a team with a winning record in 2-3 years. I think Minn is ahead of Kentucky. Although I think Kentucky takes a step forward this year but will their record be better?

mic
09-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Minn > UK.. Minn is a probably 5 best team in big 10.. Behind (OSU, Mich St, Wisc, and maybe Penn St)
A better comparison would be UK could win 8 games if it had Minn schedule..

Jack Lambert
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM

the big 10 has two good teams. after that they have nothing. OSU will be in the final four.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Minn > UK.. Minn is a probably 5 best team in big 10.. Behind (OSU, Mich St, Wisc, and maybe Penn St)
A better comparison would be UK could win 8 games if it had Minn schedule..

I respectfully understand your argument, but disagree.

Kentucky has more NFL players on the field than Minnesota. Can anyone debate this?

Being the 5th best team in the Big 10 doesn't say much. Kentucky is probably the 5th best team in the SEC East.

I think if Minnesota & Kentucky played, it would be a barn burner with Kentucky coming out on top, due to more offensive firepower.

msstate7
09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I think a lot of you guys are in for a rude awakening this year. The SEC is no longer head and shoulders above the country.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Kentucky has more NFL players on the field than Minnesota. Can anyone debate this?

Kentucky has had 4 guys drafted the last 3 years. Minnesota had 4 drafted last year.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:25 AM
I think a lot of you guys are in for a rude awakening this year. The SEC is no longer head and shoulders above the country.

Yes it is.

Ask NFL scouts

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Kentucky has had 4 guys drafted the last 3 years. Minnesota had 4 drafted last year.

Strong point. I still think they are very comparable teams

Really Clark?
09-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I respectfully understand your argument, but disagree.

Being the 5th best team in the Big 10 doesn't say much. Kentucky is probably the 5th best team in the SEC East.

I think if Minnesota & Kentucky played, it would be a barn burner with Kentucky coming out on top, due to more offensive firepower.

The Big 10 was 3-3 vs SEC last year. The conference is not as good as the SEC. Nobody is really saying that but until Kentucky actually does something they are next to last in the SEC. MN beats them unless they play in Kentucky and that is not a given either. And what are you basing Kentucky putting up huge points on them? Similar offensive numbers when you adjus for scheduling with MN having a superior defense. Again, these are adjusted numbers for each schools competition. MN had a top 30 defense with Kentucky ranked 78. Home field would make up some difference but I'm not sure Kentucky beats them. Indiana beat Missouri last year in MO.

dawg27
09-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Here is what I know:

1. TCU was a bad team two years ago

2. They looked small last night.

3. MSU has more talent and will have more players drafted.

4. TCU is extremely well coached.

5. TCU plays a schedule that only has 2 or 3 teams on it that can potentially beat them.

6. Minnesota's offense and QB is an abomination.

7. Kentucky has more talent than Minnesota.

Other than this, I have no idea what TCU is. IMO, they are a 4 or 5 place team in the SEC West with less talent than that.

They are most definitely not the number two team in the country

msstate7
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Yes it is.

Ask NFL scouts

I agree about overall talent, but gap is closing. Oh and did you realize the sec hasn't won a major bowl in the last 2 years? 0-5

MadDawg
09-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Then they play a tougher schedule than Ohio State.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2015, 10:48 AM
The Big 10 was 3-3 vs SEC last year. The conference is not as good as the SEC. Nobody is really saying that but until Kentucky actually does something they are next to last in the SEC. MN beats them unless they play in Kentucky and that is not a given either. And what are you basing Kentucky putting up huge points on them? Similar offensive numbers when you adjus for scheduling with MN having a superior defense. Again, these are adjusted numbers for each schools competition. MN had a top 30 defense with Kentucky ranked 78. Home field would make up some difference but I'm not sure Kentucky beats them. Indiana beat Missouri last year in MO.

The SEC is at a distinct disadvantage in bowl games, due to how the matchups usually are aligned.

When the media throws the "bowl games" in your face, remember:

Usually the SEC team is matched up against a team that finished higher in their conference.

Wisconsin was the #2 Big 10 team last season but played Auburn, an 8-4 SEC team, in the bowl game.
Ole Miss was 3rd in the SEC West but played the Big 12 co-champ
and so on and so on. Not saying that the SEC didn't stink in the bowl season, just making the point that many of the games are weighted towards the other conference.

msstate7
09-04-2015, 10:53 AM
The SEC is at a distinct disadvantage in bowl games, due to how the matchups usually are aligned.

Usually the SEC team is matched up against a team that finished higher in their conference.

Wisconsin was the #2 Big 10 team last season but played Auburn, an 8-4 SEC team, in the bowl game.
and so on and so on. Not saying that the SEC didn't stink in the bowl season, just making the point that many of the games are weighted towards the other conference.

There was also champ vs champ the last 2 years in auburn vs fsu and bama vs Ohio state. We were favored vs GT.

Really Clark?
09-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Last year vs the Big 10 that even out. MN played SEC east champs MO in the bowl game, Indiana beat MO, OSU vs Bama was not unequal, Michigan State beat Baylor....again top to bottom SEC is better but Big 10 is gaining ground and the premise is about MN who you are slighting and comparing to Kentucky who hasn't beat anybody but a 7-6 So Carolina team last year. All we have is recent history to go by so if you take Kentucky and have them play MN schedule last year they don't win 8 games like MN did and if you throw MN in the SEC east I believe they still go bowling. Now maybe by the end of the year Kentucky shows that they are better but honestly at best I think they will just be even.

OdaMaeBrown
09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

nm