PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on Leo Lewis?

Bucky Dog
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Haven't heard much talk about him. Is it I given we will redshirt him or what?

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Haven't heard much talk about him. Is it I given we will redshirt him or what?

I've heard Rosebowl & Robbie Faulk speak about him in the past few day, & he appears to be doing well. Will likely play on special teams & receive mop-up reps at LB. According to players that have spoken about him in interviews, he is extremely physical & passes the eye test, but is just having to learn how tackle properly & how to operate within a scheme.

I see Leo as somewhat of a Reuben Foster type LB at Alabama. Reuben will start for the first time this season, in his 3rd year, after being the top LB in the country out of high school. He is physical & talented, but just had to learn how to play the college game & had other, extremely talented, more experienced players in front of him.

My guess is that Leo will come along slowly at LB, but that we'll hear his name some this year after he makes big hits on special teams.

Coach34
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
3rd string reps and ST's. We are simply too talented in front of him for him to play anymore than that

jumbo
09-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Might be nothing, but the official football twitter posted a juiceboys video a few days ago and tagged him in it.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
3rd string reps and ST's. We are simply too talented in front of him for him to play anymore than that
So is he adamant that he doesn't want to redshirt?

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2015, 10:50 AM
So is he adamant that he doesn't want to redshirt?

Not sure. I don't think anyone has spoken to him. Mullen doesn't allow freshmen to speak to the media.

Dawgtini
09-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Might be nothing, but the official football twitter posted a juiceboys video a few days ago and tagged him in it.

It would be so awesome if we could redshirt him. I don't know if he would be down with that, but it would be perfect for the team.

thf24
09-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I know there are certain guys Mullen gives the choice of redshirting or not; that was the case with Ryan Brown and Cedric Jiles to name a few. Leo strikes me as one of those cases. Then again he might be just that much of a badass on special teams that the coaches want him to go ahead and play there.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2015, 10:56 AM

I doubt it's anything because they tagged McLaurin & Peters was in the video as well. I doubt both of those guys are RS.

msstate7
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
I doubt both of those guys are RS.

So do you expect one of peters/mclaurin to RS or neither?

Jarius
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
it really makes no sense to redshirt someone who isn't going to be here for their redshirt senior year anyway. If the coaches think he is going to live up to his billing, it would be stupid not to at least get some special teams reps and backup game reps while we have him on campus. Otherwise, we just wasted a year of eligibility on a freak athlete.

Bucky Dog
09-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Yeah I'm kind of torn on whether to redshirt him or not. We have so much talent ahead of him, but is he a 3 years and done? If we knew that then let him get his reps in this year.

Jarius
09-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Even if he is 4 years and done instead of 3. I highly doubt people like Leo Lewis, Gerri Green, or Jamal Peters will ever see their 5th year on campus at Mississippi State. If they are going to Leave after 3 or 4 years on campus, redshirting them to keep them 5 years is pointless. Of course we don't know for sure how any of them will pan out.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2015, 11:14 AM
So do you expect one of peters/mclaurin to RS or neither?

Neither

maroonmania
09-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah I'm kind of torn on whether to redshirt him or not. We have so much talent ahead of him, but is he a 3 years and done? If we knew that then let him get his reps in this year.

If they are even potential 3 years and done you better play him because you might lose him after his sophomore year if you redshirt him. If you don't redshirt him you still have 3 years after this year with him if he doesn't go pro early.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 12:56 PM
I know there are certain guys Mullen gives the choice of redshirting or not; that was the case with Ryan Brown and Cedric Jiles to name a few. Leo strikes me as one of those cases. Then again he might be just that much of a badass on special teams that the coaches want him to go ahead and play there.

May only have been one case, but I believe Mullen will make a commitment to not redshirt if they earn snaps, and then leave it up to the player to decide. The player in question went to MSU thinking he would choose to play no matter what, but when faced with the option of RS'ing or playing special teams and whatever mop-up duty came his way, and he chose to redshirt. I was assuming the same commitment was made to LL and that he is basically facing the same decision now because or our depth at LB.

defiantdog
09-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I've heard Rosebowl & Robbie Faulk speak about him in the past few day, & he appears to be doing well. Will likely play on special teams & receive mop-up reps at LB. According to players that have spoken about him in interviews, he is extremely physical & passes the eye test, but is just having to learn how tackle properly & how to operate within a scheme.

I see Leo as somewhat of a Reuben Foster type LB at Alabama. Reuben will start for the first time this season, in his 3rd year, after being the top LB in the country out of high school. He is physical & talented, but just had to learn how to play the college game & had other, extremely talented, more experienced players in front of him.

My guess is that Leo will come along slowly at LB, but that we'll hear his name some this year after he makes big hits on special teams.

I hope Leo develops better than Foster. Foster has been Alabama's version of Channing Ward. Foster just figured out the playbook..... Supposedly. I'd like to see Leo jump in the mix a lot quicker like R. Brown did.