PDA

View Full Version : Rye grass

Doc
09-03-2015, 06:53 AM
When is the best time to sow rye seed? Is it too early now?

engie
09-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Still a little early depending on where exactly in the state you are located... Mid-late September or even early October of your primary goal isn't to bow hunt over it

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-04-2015, 11:33 AM
I had very good success with the setup in this article:https://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64527
It involves planting different seed a couple weeks apart and produced good results for me last year. It seemed my plots stayed greener longer and lasted through the winter.

engie
09-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Also, search deer plot app in various app stores... Might as well plug an MSU-developed free app that gives nice guidelines and ideas while we are discussing it

FISHDAWG
09-10-2015, 12:39 PM
I have always heard that Rye grass had to much fiber for deer ... ( I really don't know) ... I do know that they love winter wheat. Not sure which is cheaper seed but I can vouch for the wheat

engie
09-10-2015, 01:31 PM
I have always heard that Rye grass had to much fiber for deer ... ( I really don't know) ... I do know that they love winter wheat. Not sure which is cheaper seed but I can vouch for the wheat

Yeah, my experience said they preferred wheat as well. Think it's cheaper too. But rye and more particularly elbon rye is really good for the soil supposedly...

Thing about rye is that it will grow in the back of your truck. Hard to screw up. But if you plant too early, the tips will get hard and deer won't prefer it, unless you bush hog it sometime in january

Spiderman
10-12-2015, 07:31 PM
When is the best time to sow rye seed? Is it too early now?

Only thing stupid enough to eat rye grass is a damn cow. Now regular rye, not rye grass is ok, but if you are gonna plant rye or wheat you will be alot better off with Buck Forge Oats.

It's high, but worth it.