PDA

View Full Version : Just some friendly advice - seriously Don't Drink and Drive...

BHildreth3
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
this weekend after the game. I'm hearing it's going to be ridiculous in terms of roadblocks.

Jack Lambert
09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
so your only concern about drinking and driving is the road blocks? Just busting your balls.

Billy Ray Valentine
09-02-2015, 04:18 PM
I agree. Do all your drinking first. Get it all out of the way. And then go driving.
George Carlin

Treemydawg
09-02-2015, 04:24 PM
This would be a perfect place for a gif of tweeder right before he steals the police car in varsity blues.

Dallas_Dawg
09-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah Starkville PD licks their chops any time they think they can fill up the drunk tank by having road blocks.

I love starkville but that is one thing I love about living in a big city. The cops have other problems to deal with other than entrapping motorists. And also, there's no such thing as Uber or Lyft and you have to depend on the 2 running taxis in town that are always "on their way."

ScoobaDawg
09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Yeah Starkville PD licks their chops any time they think they can fill up the drunk tank by having road blocks.

I love starkville but that is one thing I love about living in a big city. The cops have other problems to deal with other than entrapping motorists. And also, there's no such thing as Uber or Lyft and you have to depend on the 2 running taxis in town that are always "on their way."

Also use waze anywhere you drive... not even when drinking. that way you know where the cops are usually.

smootness
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Uh...I don't consider that to be entrapping motorists. If you're drunk and driving, I want the cops stopping you.

MabenMaroon
09-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Honest occifer, I haven't a dink to drop, I think

Billy Ray Valentine
09-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Aren't you a public servant? Go get me a glass of water!!

mparkerfd20
09-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Uh...I don't consider that to be entrapping motorists. If you're drunk and driving, I want the cops stopping you.

Icouldn't agree with you more. And I really don't get why it's such a laughing matter for so many.

Dallas_Dawg
09-02-2015, 11:39 PM
There's a difference between being drunk and a danger to the roadways and simply having enough beers to fail a breathalyzer. Not to mention those rigged field tests that no one could pass sober.
If you believe otherwise then you are a sheep

sandjunky
09-03-2015, 08:36 AM
There's a difference between being drunk and a danger to the roadways and simply having enough beers to fail a breathalyzer. Not to mention those rigged field tests that no one could pass sober.

No if you've been drinking you shouldn't operate a motor vehicle...it's simple; pay a driver or get a cab

Bullshit...I've been pulled over by a cop for swerving to miss potholes on the backroads in south MS at 2am...asked if had been drinking...nope officer I'm just trying dodge these God awful potholes....please step out of car...go through all the test, etc...police officer, you're free to go after passing all the test

Dawgtini
09-03-2015, 08:59 AM
+1

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah, you can def. tell who has and hasn't gotten a few DUIs in this thread. If you drink period, don't drive. People treat drinking and driving like it's a joke, and it isn't.

Buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2015, 09:51 AM

From my observation there are some people who should not be driving on the roadways period. Drinking or not.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah, you can def. tell who has and hasn't gotten a few DUIs in this thread.

You can tell who understands DUI law and enforcement and who doesn't in this thread. Reasonable people don't want people driving while they are impaired. Arresting people and charging them with a DUI when they are not impaired is not about making people safe and reasonable, informed people do not want that.

If you drink period, don't drive.

I understand why people get suckered into this line of thinking, but it's just not reasonable. Yes, people should play it on the safe side when they've been drinking, but it simply should not be illegal to drive when you are not impaired, even as an incentive to play it safe. And even when somebody does drink enough to become impaired, they shouldn't be some arbitrarily set standard for when they can drive again. They should be able to drive whenever they are not impaired.

BorneDawg
09-03-2015, 10:09 AM
good place for gif of girl on 40 year old virgin having Andy to blow in breathalyzer to start car.

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
You can tell who understands DUI law and enforcement and who doesn't in this thread. Reasonable people don't want people driving while they are impaired. Arresting people and charging them with a DUI when they are not impaired is not about making people safe and reasonable, informed people do not want that.

I understand why people get suckered into this line of thinking, but it's just not reasonable. Yes, people should play it on the safe side when they've been drinking, but it simply should not be illegal to drive when you are not impaired, even as an incentive to play it safe. And even when somebody does drink enough to become impaired, they shouldn't be some arbitrarily set standard for when they can drive again. They should be able to drive whenever they are not impaired.

I still don't understand why people just don't drink and drive. Period. It aint that hard to find a DD to take with you somewhere. Whether you like it or not, those dudes with the badges are the bosses.

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 10:18 AM
And as far as people being "impaired" goes, how do you judge it if you don't have some number? Some people can act completely sober and be plastered.

drunkernhelldawg
09-03-2015, 10:24 AM
And as far as people being "impaired" goes, how do you judge it if you don't have some number? Some people can act completely sober and be plastered.

I agree. But changing the standard from .1 to .08 was a huge victory for the police state.

That said, drunk drivers seldom acknowledge how poorly they are driving. They think they're "fine," and they speed up to prove it.

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I've seen people act sober and swear they are ok but then get behind the wheel and not be able to keep it between the lines if a threesome with their choice of Victoria's Secret models depended on it. To leave it up to the person to determine if they are impaired is extremely dangerous. It's even more dangerous if they've knocked back a few. The only thing you can do is have a threshhold and if you are above that then it's DUI time.

It comes down to personal responsibility. If you've been drinking it's up to you to know when to switch to water or coke if you know you will be driving. And if you are one of the ones that lose count or don't care after you've had a few then maybe you should make plans to have a DD or crash where you're at. Deaths caused by drunk driving are 100% preventable. That's why I wish anyone that gets caught driving substantially over the limit (say .15 or above) should go down for attempted murder because you are putting every other motorist on that road in grave danger.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I still don't understand why people just don't drink and drive. Period. It aint that hard to find a DD to take with you somewhere.

And I don't understand why people care if someone is not impaired drives, just because at some time in the past they had a sip of alcohol.

Whether you like it or not, those dudes with the badges are the bosses.

What the 17 is that? People with badges are not the bosses; that kind of attitude causes all sorts of problems.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 10:47 AM

A BAC limit is ok (I'd probably prefer being able to pass BAC or filmed field sobriety test), but it should be set at a level reasonably expected to cause most people impairment, rather than, by the standard of "give mothers against drunk driving what it asks for, no matter how stupid, until you are absolutely sure voters are going to understand that what they are asking for is crazy", which is the standard that gave us .08 BAC limits in many places across the country.

Bothrops
09-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Just remember, if you're asked to do a field sobriety, you're going to need a lawyer.

Dawgtini
09-03-2015, 11:10 AM
A BAC limit is ok (I'd probably prefer being able to pass BAC or filmed field sobriety test), but it should be set at a level reasonably expected to cause most people impairment, rather than, by the standard of "give mothers against drunk driving what it asks for, no matter how stupid, until you are absolutely sure voters are going to understand that what they are asking for is crazy", which is the standard that gave us .08 BAC limits in many places across the country.

This is so true. I had a law enforcement officer tell me you would be better off to arrested for using and/or selling illegal drugs than to be arrested for drunk driving because of all of demonization perpetuated by MADD. Public school kids have been getting drilled with this for the last decade + to create a generation of MADD advocates (as evidenced in this thread).

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 11:17 AM
I'll just leave it at this: It isn't that hard to find a DD. If you know you're going to be drinking, just bring along a DD.

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM
This is so true. I had a law enforcement officer tell me you would be better off to arrested for using and/or selling illegal drugs than to be arrested for drunk driving because of all of demonization perpetuated by MADD. Public school kids have been getting drilled with this for the last decade + to create a generation of MADD advocates (as evidenced in this thread).

Programs to educate people about the dangers of drinking and driving are not the problem, bud. It's Johnny 12 Step thinking he/she can drive just as well drunk as sober that costs lives.

Prediction? Pain.
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
FWIW, the .08 BAC limit in essentially every jurisdiction in the United States is among the highest, if not the highest limit in the world. Looks like most of the rest of the world goes with a .05 BAC limit or lower. Here's the list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country) if you're interested. Apparently a number of researchers (http://www.aaam.org/BAC.pdf) have found that a .05 limit is more effective at preventing alcohol related fatalities. So I'm not sure that the .08 limit is a United-States-specific, MADD-driven phenomenon.

Also, I've never had a BAC test, so I'm curious: Anyone ever have a BAC over the limit for just having one or two drinks in a hour or so? All the online calculators seem to say that a dude of my size would have to drink around 4 beers in an hour to have a .08 BAC.

Dallas_Dawg
09-03-2015, 12:46 PM

+1

I wish there was a way to prove it but I could drink 4 beers in an hour and take one of those driving tests and score better than almost anybody's wife, girlfriend or daughter, who is stone cold sober.

AROB44
09-03-2015, 01:41 PM
If you want to drive after drinking, you better not be in an accident. Criminal charges will be brought if someone is injured and can ruin you life. I am just now willing to bet my life just to have a few drinks.....maybe you are.

dawg27
09-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Yeah, you can def. tell who has and hasn't gotten a few DUIs in this thread. If you drink period, don't drive. People treat drinking and driving like it's a joke, and it isn't.

Buzzed driving is drunk driving.
I agree it is not a joke,believe me i see it alot.

smootness
09-03-2015, 02:02 PM

So how do you tell when someone is impaired? If it's, 'when they start swerving and driving erratically,' then it could be too late. I don't want anyone who is near any kind of impaired-not impaired line operating a vehicle on the road. Just like I don't want anyone distracted operating one, either.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
If you want to drive after drinking, you better not be in an accident. Criminal charges will be brought if someone is injured and can ruin you life. I am just now willing to bet my life just to have a few drinks.....maybe you are.

This is for real. There was a case quite a while ago, even before everybody had lost their damn mind like they have now, where a guy was driving home after having a few drinks and took sort of a back road. Another driver ran a stop sign and one of teh young children in the car that was not buckled up and not in a car seat died. The guy has alcohol in his blood and goes to jail. He might have been hammered, but it was clear he was not at fault for the accident and the children buckled up weren't hurt, indicating that it's probable not being buckled up was a major contributor to the death. Apparently didn't make a difference for the defendant.

smootness
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. You don't set the line at what causes most people impairment because then you have certain people driving impaired with absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. You set the line at what causes at least some people impairment.

You can argue all you want that it isn't 'fair' that some people can still drive without impairment above the legal level, but I'm ok with that inconvenience as long as it also keeps those who can't do so off the road.

Drunk driving is a huge problem, and part of the reason it is a huge problem is because so many people think, 'I can drive without impairment even at the legal limit. I'm fine to drive.' I promise you that a huge majority who believe this actually can't do so. Do you honestly believe that most people who drive impaired and cause wrecks knew they were unsafe to drive but did it anyway?

Mjoelner34
09-03-2015, 02:27 PM
+1

I wish there was a way to prove it but I could drink 4 beers in an hour and take one of those driving tests and score better than almost anybody's wife, girlfriend or daughter, who is stone cold sober.

To your point, a million years ago when I was in school, one of my roommates used to get Car and Driver magazine. In one issue, they had their professional driver on a closed course do a series of runs starting sober and getting progressively drunker. His best scores were after he had consumed 4 to 6 beers. But, when he fell off, he fell off sharply.

BoomBoom
09-03-2015, 02:41 PM
To your point, a million years ago when I was in school, one of my roommates used to get Car and Driver magazine. In one issue, they had their professional driver on a closed course do a series of runs starting sober and getting progressively drunker. His best scores were after he had consumed 4 to 6 beers. But, when he fell off, he fell off sharply.

Because at low to moderate doses, alcohol is a stimulant. Its only at excessive doses that it is a narcotic. Buzzed driving isnt much different from driving loaded up on coffee. I guarantee you I drive much more dangerously on the way home from work on the verge of passing out than I do wide awake after several beers (not that I do the latter).

MSUDawg99
09-03-2015, 04:22 PM
I'll just leave it at this: It isn't that hard to find a DD. If you know you're going to be drinking, just bring along a DD.

So if a couple go out to dinner they can't enjoy a glass of wine or beer with their dinner? It sounds a bit hasty to have a DD after just one drink.

Johnson85
09-03-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. You don't set the line at what causes most people impairment because then you have certain people driving impaired with absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. You set the line at what causes at least some people impairment. I didn't mean most, as in 51%. I meant most, as in normal, or excluding outliers. For example, excluding the long term alcoholics that can function at a much higher level, and also outliers (if they exist) that are impaired at some unreasonably low number. Normal adults are not impaired at .08. Certainly not at the level that requires imprisonment, unless you are ready to imprison people who change the station on the radio while driving or talk using hands free devices.

Prediction? Pain.
09-03-2015, 10:37 PM
(This has become pretty off-topic, hasn't it? I'm still game.)

Normal adults are not impaired at .08.

I'm not sure that's true. According to the National Institutes of Health, there appears to be a consensus among scientists that most people with a BAC of .08 or higher are substantially impaired:

A review of 112 studies concluded that certain skills required to operate essentially any type of motorized vehicle become impaired at even modest departures from zero BAC. At 0.05 percent BAC, most studies reported significant impairment. By 0.08 percent BAC, 94 percent of the studies reported impairment. Some skills are significantly impaired at 0.01 percent BAC, although other skills do not show impairment until 0.06 percent BAC. At BACs of 0.02 percent or lower, the ability to divide attention between two or more sources of visual information can be impaired. Starting at BACs of 0.05 percent, drivers show other types of impairment, including eye movement, glare resistance, visual perception, and reaction time. Moskowitz and colleagues reported that alcohol significantly impaired driving simulator performance at all BACs starting at 0.02 percent.

Here's (http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa52.htm) the NIH report from '01 on the subject along with all the pertinent cites. And here's (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/pub/Hs809028/RefList.htm#A) a list of the 112 studies referenced in the report, which appear to have come from a host of journals published in North America and Europe. If 94% of the research confirms impairment, or even anywhere close to 94%, I'd say that's reasonably strong proof to support the studies' conclusion.

Research aside, and at the risk of outing myself as a lightweight, I can honestly say that if I had an old fashioned every 15 minutes for an hour, which is apparently what it would take a man of my weight to have a .08 BAC, I'd be in absolutely no shape to drive.

Bottom line, I'm not sure how you fight drunk driving without benchmarks of some kind. If science says that most human beings start to become mentally and physically impaired at .08 BAC -- which is, again, a higher threshold than those adopted by most other countries in the world -- I don't have a problem with that being one of those benchmarks.

RC3
09-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Vote to move this to the political board lol

drunkernhelldawg
09-04-2015, 07:32 AM
(This has become pretty off-topic, hasn't it? I'm still game.)

I'm not sure that's true. According to the National Institutes of Health, there appears to be a consensus among scientists that most people with a BAC of .08 or higher are substantially impaired:

Here's (http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa52.htm) the NIH report from '01 on the subject along with all the pertinent cites. And here's (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/pub/Hs809028/RefList.htm#A) a list of the 112 studies referenced in the report, which appear to have come from a host of journals published in North America and Europe. If 94% of the research confirms impairment, or even anywhere close to 94%, I'd say that's reasonably strong proof to support the studies' conclusion.

Research aside, and at the risk of outing myself as a lightweight, I can honestly say that if I had an old fashioned every 15 minutes for an hour, which is apparently what it would take a man of my weight to have a .08 BAC, I'd be in absolutely no shape to drive.

Bottom line, I'm not sure how you fight drunk driving without benchmarks of some kind. If science says that most human beings start to become mentally and physically impaired at .08 BAC -- which is, again, a higher threshold than those adopted by most other countries in the world -- I don't have a problem with that being one of those benchmarks.

I know. I never got that four drinks in an hour thing. I'm only safe for dancing, not driving, after two myself. Wouldn't drive in a million years after three or more drinks in an hour. Would sleep in the woods instead. I wouldn't trust that four drink an hour generality at all.
When I was younger, I had the delusion that I was an excellent drunk driver. Never got caught or caused an accident, thanks only to luck and good fortune, not to half-wit controlling my body.
That said, I do think the laws are too draconian. I don't think a driver should be responsible for an injury unless that driver's actions are the cause (ref. Johnson's post above). I also feel that roadblocks are a civil liberties violation and that the standard should be .1 and not .08.

Pollodawg
09-04-2015, 09:16 AM
So if a couple go out to dinner they can't enjoy a glass of wine or beer with their dinner? It sounds a bit hasty to have a DD after just one drink.

A glass of wine or beer is not going to get you in trouble. Heck,if you eat, say, a two hour dinner, two glasses of wine or beer won't get you in trouble. This is not really a good comparison. Now, if you sit there and drink twelve beers and two bottles of wine.......

Dawgtini
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
That said, I do think the laws are too draconian. I don't think a driver should be responsible for an injury unless that driver's actions are the cause (ref. Johnson's post above). I also feel that roadblocks are a civil liberties violation and that the standard should be .1 and not .08.
Total agreement with this. Well said.

Johnson85
09-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Research aside, and at the risk of outing myself as a lightweight, I can honestly say that if I had an old fashioned every 15 minutes for an hour, which is apparently what it would take a man of my weight to have a .08 BAC, I'd be in absolutely no shape to drive
When you're talking about liquor drinks, what most people consider one liquor drink will have twice as much alcohol as what the literature calls one drink. I would agree that 4 liquor drinks in an hour would be too much for anybody, because almost everybody, even heavy drinkers, mix their drinks or pour their drinks neat such that 4 drinks in an hour will leave them intoxicated.

what most people think of as alas of wine is probably 1.5 times the size the literature uses, although there certainly are 4 ounce wine glasses. i rarely see them outside of chain restaurants though.