PDA

View Full Version : a word of caution from an older dog #theeighties

civilengineerdog
09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I hope the players are not as overconfident as this board is about the game Saturday. Having seen us lose their in 78 and having witnessed several bitch slaps by the buzzards in the eighties, we are in for a fight Saturday night. If we show up and play well, we will win easily. If we don't show up, or turn the ball over, we will find ourselves in a barroom brawl with them and anything can and will happen, circa La
tech 2007.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Different times, different programs, different era. We can stop being afraid of being confident.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Different times, different programs, different era. We can stop being afraid of being confident.

Word.

http://balls.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/papelbon_crotch_grab.jpg

mic
09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Some were really worried about a road trip to a much better South Alabama team last year.. And we saw the results of that.. Not even close..
This will be the same if not better results..

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I prefer teams who think their shit doesn't stink.

Wish this attitude would be forever eradicated from our fan base.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Some were really worried about a road trip to a much better South Alabama team last year.. And we saw the results of that.. Not even close..
This will be the same if not better results..

Seriously. Most people haven't had the reality of where USM currently is totally sink in yet. They are in a really really really bad place. Their fans can reminiscence about the 70's and 80's all they want, but in 2015 they are on the same competitive level as a Alcorn, Jx State, App State, et al.; hell, those teams could probably beat USM. Things change. Our worst Croom team would still hang 30 or 40 on this USM team. That's how far the gap between "SEC bottom feeder" (as their fans like to say to us) and "College Football bottom feeder" (as I like to say to them) has gotten.

TrapGame
09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
No offense CED but the blue haired worry warts are on Gene's Page.

Maroonthirteen
09-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Ill repeat myself....

Reggie Collier is not walking through that door. Sammy Widner is not walking through that door. If they do walk through that door, they are going to be old and gray.

But yeah man.......I think my last game to attend in Jackson was vs USM in 88. But I was at the Starkville game in 90 and last year......So, uh, yeah....it isn't 1981 any longer.

Really Clark?
09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Seriously. Most people haven't had the reality of where USM currently is totally sink in yet. They are in a really really really bad place. Their fans can reminiscence about the 70's and 80's all they want, but in 2015 they are on the same competitive level as a Alcorn, Jx State, App State, et al.; hell, those teams could probably beat USM. Things change. Our worst Croom team would still hang 30 or 40 on this USM team. That's how far the gap between "SEC bottom feeder" (as their fans like to say to us) and "College Football bottom feeder" (as I like to say to them) has gotten.

Ha. To your point they beat Alcorn 26-20 last year and App St 21-20

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Ha. To your point they beat Alcorn 26-20 last year and App St 21-20

Ha! Irrelevant drivel****

Thick
09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I hope the players are not as overconfident as this board is about the game Saturday. Having seen us lose their in 78 and having witnessed several bitch slaps by the buzzards in the eighties, we are in for a fight Saturday night. If we show up and play well, we will win easily. If we don't show up, or turn the ball over, we will find ourselves in a barroom brawl with them and anything can and will happen, circa La
tech 2007.

I think this team has had enough preseason disrespect thrown on them that they will play with a chip on their shoulder the entire year. They want to prove their critics wrong.

HSVDawg
09-02-2015, 02:47 PM
La Tech was in '08, and that isn't even remotely a good comparison. Our program was still very much in the shitter back then even though we back doored our way to a winning season the year prior through timely defensive plays. Also, La Tech is and has been a much more competitive program than USM for the better part of the last decade.

As has already been stated, there are light years of difference between these two programs right now. If your expectation as an MSU fan is anything better than an 0-12 record, then you have no reason to be worried about this game. Because if we somehow lost we damn sure aren't beating anyone else, Northwestern State included.

Jack Lambert
09-02-2015, 02:48 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the 1:30 A.M Drive home.

mstatefan91
09-02-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't understand telling fellow fans to be cautious. We're fans. We're supposed to expect to win. I mean... right?

LC Dawg
09-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Things from the 80's that are no longer relevant:

- Duran Duran
- Rubik's Cube
- Cassette Tapes
- Member's Only jackets
- MS-DOS
- Southern Miss football

Reason2succeed
09-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't understand telling fellow fans to be cautious. We're fans. We're supposed to expect to win. I mean... right?

He did qualify his statement by speaking to our team's overconfidence but I agree with everyone else. I like a confident team over a tight self-doubting team worried about making a mistake. We need to find and keep our swag all year instead of losing it down the stretch like we did last year. No team goes to the NC surprised that they were good enough to get there. Don't stop believing.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Things from the 80's that are no longer relevant:

- Duran Duran
- Rubik's Cube
- Cassette Tapes
- Member's Only jackets
- MS-DOS
- Southern Miss football

Uh....these can all be hijacked by ironic vintage hipsters. Well...all except USM.....there is nothing cool about them***

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM

I have lived by 3 rules as a MSU fan:
1)Never ever ever bet on MSU sports, you will only lose money
2)Dead Injun Rule: Never talk smack when things are going well b/c a shit storm is just around the corner
3)No more than 1 of the Big 3 sports can do well at one time

I'm tired of that shit. I truly believe for the first time we have built a sustainable winning program in football, and basketball and baseball are not far behind.
This ain't my MSU, this ain't your daddys MSU. This is the new MSU. Deal with it.

Johnson85
09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Our worst Croom team would still hang 30 or 40 on this USM team.

I think that's incorrect, but otherwise I agree. We are not the same MSU, and probably more importantly, they are not the same USM. They aspire to be the type of team that could upset an SEC team that's in disarray. So first they would have to improve to get to a La Tech Or ULL level, and then we'd have to fall somewhere between Uk and Vandy (I'm not sure another SEC school other than Vandy can get as bad as Vandy was last year).

QuadrupleOption
09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
tech 2007.

With all due respect, **** that.

I'm in my early 40's, and I've been an MSU fan since the late 70's as well. And while I would never, ever, ever talk smack to anyone but an Ole Miss fan, I fully expect us to name our score on Saturday night in front of tens and tens of their fans.

We are LIGHT. YEARS. ahead of them. And even if we are SEC "bottom-feeders" this year, and even if we do finish dead last in the SEC West, this team is STILL good enough to win their pathetic excuse of a conference outright.

But we aren't bottom-feeders, and we aren't going to finish last in the SEC West. And we are going to skull-**** those polyester-wearing, mascot-starving, no-attendance-having, almost-on-academic-probation, bottom-feeding-athletic-program-having greedy cocksuckers like the little bitches that they are on Saturday night. BOOK IT.

Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?

mstatefan91
09-02-2015, 03:29 PM
He did qualify his statement by speaking to our team's overconfidence but I agree with everyone else. I like a confident team over a tight self-doubting team worried about making a mistake. We need to find and keep our swag all year instead of losing it down the stretch like we did last year. No team goes to the NC surprised that they were good enough to get there. Don't stop believing.
True. I just feel like I see this sentiment from older MSU fans (hell, MSU fans in general) far too often.

Be confident. Brag. Every other fan base does it. Why do we have to be little poor MSU?

We are selling out the stadium, winning games, and garnering national attention (most still negative but at least our name pops up).

Other teams and coaches actually have to pay attention to us now. We aren't that automatic W that was chalked onto every other west teams' schedule at the beginning of the season anymore.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
And we are going to skull-**** those polyester-wearing, mascot-starving, no-attendance-having, almost-on-academic-probation, bottom-feeding-athletic-program-having greedy cocksuckers like the little bitches that they are on Saturday night. BOOK IT.

Ouch....

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DeAndre-Jordan-Face-After-Brandon-Knight-Dunk.gif

BulldogBear
09-02-2015, 03:34 PM

I'm in my early 40's, and I've been an MSU fan since the late 70's as well. And while I would never, ever, ever talk smack to anyone but an Ole Miss fan, I fully expect us to name our score on Saturday night in front of tens and tens of their fans.

We are LIGHT. YEARS. ahead of them. And even if we are SEC "bottom-feeders" this year, and even if we do finish dead last in the SEC West, this team is STILL good enough to win their pathetic excuse of a conference outright.

But we aren't bottom-feeders, and we aren't going to finish last in the SEC West. And we are going to skull-**** those polyester-wearing, mascot-starving, no-attendance-having, almost-on-academic-probation, bottom-feeding-athletic-program-having greedy cocksuckers like the little bitches that they are on Saturday night. BOOK IT.

^^^^This

I am a child of the eighties as well. I understand where he is coming from. But with that said, the two ten year periods that I have emotionally invested in the most (I don't know how else to put it) were 1980-89 and 2005-14. I've been into CFB and MSU the whole time but what I mean is, those are the two "decades" that I scrutinized the most and have been affected by the most. So, where I'm going with that is this: Having thrown myself into MSU football the most in the 80s and the last ten years, I can definitely confirm that this is a very different "world" than the first one was. If we lose to USM this year it will be because we thought the game was next week and stayed in Starkville.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-02-2015, 03:35 PM
oh so we become OM..ok gotcha

BulldogBear
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
True. I just feel like I see this sentiment from older MSU fans (hell, MSU fans in general) far too often.

Be confident. Brag. Every other fan base does it. Why do we have to be little poor MSU?

We are selling out the stadium, winning games, and garnering national attention (most still negative but at least our name pops up).

Other teams and coaches actually have to pay attention to us now. We aren't that automatic W that was chalked onto every other west teams' schedule at the beginning of the season anymore.

"We must temper our expectations"- said no championship winning team ever

Jack Lambert
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM

polyester-wearing,

I remember those baby crap yellow shirts with the big collars flapping when the cheered. I had a football scholarship offer from them but decided to do something more important.

LC Dawg
09-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Uh....these can all be hijacked by ironic vintage hipsters. Well...all except USM.....there is nothing cool about them***

What the hell is an ironic vintage hipster? I guess I can't be one because I was raised in the 80's so I don't consider things from that decade vintage because that would make me old.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
What the hell is an ironic vintage hipster?
You know what a hipster is, yes? Serious question, not trying to be a dick, lol.

This is a pretty good example. Sorry in advance if you know this poor soul***

https://wombatapult.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hipsterz.jpg?w=450

The "ironic" part mainly refers to the trucker-hat wearers and Schlitz/PBR drinkers. And for the record: I don't hate PBR.

ETA: here are some more good examples. Tosh's caption for each are often funnier than the actual pictures.
http://tosh.cc.com/blog/2015/08/28/10-people-who-are-hipstering-too-hard

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2015, 03:46 PM
oh so we become OM..ok gotcha

You don't have to be douchebags to be confident.

DistrictDawg92
09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Mullen has lost one game to a non-Power 5 team, which was Houston, a very respectable team and favorite in the game and it was also only Mullen's 6th game as a head coach. USM might be improved, if you consider a ceiling of 6-6 in the CUSA improvement. We would beat them, handily, with our 2nd team offense playing the whole game. Croom's teams would've beaten this USM team handily. It's sad that they got stuck in a state of 2 million with 2 SEC West teams, they will never be relevant again unless they can get into a P5 conference.

oldjoedawg
09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
tech 2007.

And, a word of 'let's throw caution to the wind' from, perhaps, an even older dog #thefifties......Two years ago or so, I exorcised my fears of MSU football failures (built up a stronghold in me from watching the Wade Walker years) and jumped all in on this coaching staff and the recruits they are bringing in....others can choose to live by the 'what ifs'....'what used to be', etc. but I am going to enjoy unbridled enthusiasm about every game.....if we should somehow lose a game, well, I am a big enough boy to handle that and go charging on to the next one. From a member of the Class of '62

FISHDAWG
09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
And, a word of 'let's throw caution to the wind' from, perhaps, an even older dog #thefifties......Two years ago or so, I exorcised my fears of MSU football failures (built up a stronghold in me from watching the Wade Walker years) and jumped all in on this coaching staff and the recruits they are bringing in....others can choose to live by the 'what ifs'....'what used to be', etc. but I am going to enjoy unbridled enthusiasm about every game.....if we should somehow lose a game, well, I am a big enough boy to handle that and go charging on to the next one. From a member of the Class of '62

post of the day right here

LC Dawg
09-02-2015, 04:11 PM
You know what a hipster is, yes? Serious question, not trying to be a dick, lol.

This is a pretty good example. Sorry in advance if you know this poor soul***

https://wombatapult.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hipsterz.jpg?w=450

The "ironic" part mainly refers to the trucker-hat wearers and Schlitz/PBR drinkers. And for the record: I don't hate PBR.

ETA: here are some more good examples. Tosh's caption for each are often funnier than the actual pictures.
http://tosh.cc.com/blog/2015/08/28/10-people-who-are-hipstering-too-hard

Lol! Yes, I know what a hipster is I just didn't know what an ironic hipster is. I am impressed?? that you had that picture so readily available.
I like a little PBR and Schlitz every now and then but not very often.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM

^^^This^^^

CED is simply saying respect your opponent. Too many 17ups can happen to an overconfident team, any team not just the dawgs. Skull drag their ass and then celebrate when the clock show 00:00, not the other way around.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2015, 05:08 PM
^^^This^^^

CED is simply saying respect your opponent. Too many 17ups can happen to an overconfident team, any team not just the dawgs. Skull drag their ass and then celebrate when the clock show 00:00, not the other way around.

So you're not supposed to act confident when you're playing a team you're clearly better than?

drunkernhelldawg
09-02-2015, 05:24 PM
I imagine that Alabama fans were very confident going into that November game in 1980.

I watch football because I don't know what's going to happen. That's what I like about it.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Fans don't determine the outcome of games. Never have never will. No matter how much is said on message boards it doesn't matter. I can assure you that our guys are focused & ready to play. So I'm not going to be shy about being confident in my team.

99jc
09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I imagine that Alabama fans were very confident going into that November game in 1980.

I watch football because I don't know what's going to happen. That's what I like about it.

If you don't know whats going to happen Saturday you must already be drunkern Hell. we will beat them by 40!

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 05:58 PM
As others have said, this is a totally different era. Some people talk about the risk of losing, but the reality is this is an opportunity for us to stake our claim to dominance in the state of Mississippi.

The other thing that people aren't talking about is I'm pretty sure our team has a bad taste in their mouth about how last year ended. This is the first chance for our guys to fix last year. So, they'll probably be ready to knock the crap out of some people after eight months.

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 06:00 PM

USM doesn't have anyone on their staff that invented our offense with the defense we had to go along with Emory's knowledge. THAT'S why we beat Bama that year.

CarolinaDawg
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM
As a 80's graduate, and a long term bulldog fan... I do not endorse a "manage expectations" kind of attitude. We have a great coach, great players, and an overall great program. We have just as good a chance as any one else to win the West and the SEC. Let's ditch the "lovable loser" mentality.

LC Dawg
09-02-2015, 06:21 PM
For the first time in my life I feel like we have a good chance to win every game on our schedule. It feels good so I am going to keep doing it instead of worrying about some soon to be 1-AA team from south Mississippi. Anyone that thinks this weekend's game is going to be close should probably go ahead and get a handful of Xanax for when we beat the shit out of LSU.

Ralph
09-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Nothing motivates a player like our own fans saying pump the brakes

the59dawg
09-02-2015, 07:23 PM

great point.

drunkernhelldawg
09-02-2015, 07:25 PM
If you don't know whats going to happen Saturday you must already be drunkern Hell. we will beat them by 40!

I was actually thinking we'll win by 24. Let's see who ends up closer.

archdog
09-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Fact. PBR debut was the worlds fair when the eiffel tower was completed.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2015, 09:57 PM
tech 2007.

The rising tide of the SEC has lifted all boats. We're never going back to the days where we lose to teams as bad as USM, outside of a fluke occurrence. Stop worrying about the days of the dinosaurs. USM ain't getting Brett Favre, Reggie Collier, etc. again. And hell, they couldn't beat us when they had Favre.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-02-2015, 11:46 PM
So you're not supposed to act confident when you're playing a team you're clearly better than?

Confident yes, cocky no, it breeds mistakes. Over-confident can make you lazy. All I'm saying is the team needs to stay focused. Simple, nothing complicated.

mstatefan91
09-03-2015, 12:55 AM
F*ck USM.

We better hang 28+ on them. That is all

1bigdawg
09-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Mullen has lost one game to a non-Power 5 team, which was Houston, a very respectable team and favorite in the game and it was also only Mullen's 6th game as a head coach. USM might be improved, if you consider a ceiling of 6-6 in the CUSA improvement. We would beat them, handily, with our 2nd team offense playing the whole game. Croom's teams would've beaten this USM team handily. It's sad that they got stuck in a state of 2 million with 2 SEC West teams, they will never be relevant again unless they can get into a P5 conference.

Let's not get too carried away. Remember Maine.

That said, I expect to win handily also. This is not a Croom team.

Pollodawg
09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
If we have to worry about USM, go find another hobby for Saturdays in the Fall because the season is over before it starts.

tcdog70
09-03-2015, 11:21 AM
i prefer to remember laying 56 on them the week after Little Willie beat Archie and knocked the Rebs from their High ranking. The first time Little Willie ran the reverse that killed the Rebs we knocked His dick in His watch Pocket and they toted him off the field.

NCDawg
09-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Confident yes, cocky no, it breeds mistakes. Over-confident can make you lazy. All I'm saying is the team needs to stay focused. Simple, nothing complicated.

I agree with this. Don't be cocky, but be confident. As Mullen said against LSU, nobody knows what's about to take the field.

FISHDAWG
09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Fans don't determine the outcome of games. Never have never will. No matter how much is said on message boards it doesn't matter. I can assure you that our guys are focused & ready to play. So I'm not going to be shy about being confident in my team.

love your confidence Dan ... I do think fans can influence (just a little) an outcome - #40K clanging cowbells

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2015, 01:04 PM
love your confidence Dan ... I do think fans can influence (just a little) an outcome - #40K clanging cowbells

We've been ringing those bells for years. They didn't become an influence until the team on the field got better.

maroonmania
09-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Let's put it this way, if we don't summarily thump USM pretty good, even on the road, then losing to USM is the LEAST of our problems this year. We are probably looking at a guaranteed losing season at that point. IF this game is somehow a loss or even still in doubt late in the 4th quarter then I will feel free to make holiday plans that don't include a bowl game. I mean we play 6 SEC West teams and 1 SEC East team that are WAY better than USM will even think about being this year.