PDA

View Full Version : Difference in the programs

BeastMan
07-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Yesterday MSU & staff mentored youth and worked a camp called Ignite Ministeries http://www.ignitesportscamp.com/home/ . I think it's a great thing to do service and give back.

Now if OM would have done this, Freeze would have tweeted about it 5 times about how on fire for The Lord they are with all kinds of hash tags.

You see the difference? 1 is about the work, the service. 1 is about the positive publicity he can generate by doing a work or service. 1 is genuine and 1 is not. You decide

Goat Holder
07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
That's always been the difference in the two schools in general. Perception vs. Reality. The Show vs. the Grind. I used to disagree with what I'm about to say, but now I see the light. The schools really do attract two different types of people. That's not a hard stereotype, though. But a pretty general one.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
That's always been the difference in the two schools in general. Perception vs. Reality. The Show vs. the Grind. I used to disagree with what I'm about to say, but now I see the light. The schools really do attract two different types of people. That's not a hard stereotype, though. But a pretty general one.

This is totally correct. I was told the same things by a professional scout the other day. The scout I was talking to grew up in a different part of the country, was unbiased, and had no connection to either school, other than having to cover and scout their players. He explained how different the type of kids each school attracts. Ole Miss attracts flashy pre-maddona types and MSU recruits more down to earth grinder types.

He wasn't saying this to knock MSU or OM. In fact, he said, Ole Miss often has more pro talent because they usually recruit better and have higher ceiling talent on the field. However, MSU usually develops players better, is a better team, MSU's players have more reliable makeup, and more over achievers.

However, the problem is that there is little each school can do to change who they are because each school's culture was built long ago. OM will usually recruits better than because certain types of kids will always be attracted to what OM offers. However, with those types of kids, comes a greater chance of team implosion. MSU & Starkville just isn't a flashy place, and therefore, there will always be certain types of kids MSU has trouble recruiting, but, for the kids that do show up on campus, they usually want to be there, are there for the right reasons, are down earth, tougher, higher makeup kids.

I wish we could attract both types so we could win a National Title, but its just he way it is.

SignalToNoise
07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
One of my coworkers is from west coast. He's a big fan of SEC football. He told me when he moved to MS he woke up to the perception vs reality of OM.

The way for us to "recruit both" is to do what Coach34 has said before and get Starkville and MSU marching lock step to create an environment that is perceived as a big time party/fun atmosphere. IMO that is where we lag behind.

AROB44
07-17-2013, 10:13 AM
One of my coworkers is from west coast. He's a big fan of SEC football. He told me when he moved to MS he woke up to the perception vs reality of OM.

The way for us to "recruit both" is to do what Coach34 has said before and get Starkville and MSU marching lock step to create an environment that is perceived as a big time party/fun atmosphere. IMO that is where we lag behind.

That has been a problem since I started at MSU in the early 1960's. Nothing seems to change.

Goat Holder
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
These are the types of threads that help us figure this shit out. It's no surprise that the teams who win national championships have the flair of the flashy schools and the grit of the grinder ones. Even Auburn, a traditional grinder, had to have a little flash in 2010 to win it all.

Good thing is, we don't have to worry about Ole Miss having the grinders anytime soon, so 8-4 is likely their ceiling. MSU and Starkville, on the other hand, could probably produce a little more glitz and glamour if we really wanted to. It's the easiest thing to do, since it's all fake anyway.

Goat Holder
07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
That has been a problem since I started at MSU in the early 1960's. Nothing seems to change.

Things are already changing. Infrastructure is much better for one. Enrollment is up. MSU is starting to become a destination for people outside of MS (West Tennessee and West Alabama especially). The current mayor of Starkville (and aldermen) is much more in tune with what needs to happen than they have been in the past.

FlabLoser
07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
With a young dawg in the mayor position, and the economy getting crunk at long last - now is the time.

engie
07-17-2013, 10:34 AM
The school has been prompting incoming freshmen to move residency and thus voting rights up there for quite some time. In doing this effectively, they can essentially run everything about the city of Starkville...That was when we first started seeing positive, progressive changes.

Cotton Mills has got to be greenlit -- and it's got to be done in a bigtime manner. That would go a LONG way toward overcoming the stigmas of Starkville...

At what point does the school start considering investing something in seeing this happen itself?

SnakePlissken
07-17-2013, 10:53 AM
The school has been prompting incoming freshmen to move residency and thus voting rights up there for quite some time. In doing this effectively, they can essentially run everything about the city of Starkville...That was when we first started seeing positive, progressive changes.

My son tried to start the residency process yesterday (he's 19) by getting a MS drivers license and he was told he had to be 21 to establish residency. My sister, who lives in Starkville and co-owns the house with me, checked the MS statutes and it says that anyone under 21 has to use the residency of their parent(s). We're checking into that further but I am hoping that because I am a home owner (2nd home) we can get him residency there and get him registered to vote. I actually live in AL where I've been a resident my entire life - even during my time at State.

CooterDavenport
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
I think there's a difference in establishing residency for tuition purposes and registering to vote/being a citizen. I'm confident I registered to vote in Starkville before I turned 21. I was a Mississippi resident, though, so in state tuition was never a question.