PDA

View Full Version : Manny Diaz and the 2015 defense...

DistrictDawg92
09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
I've seen multiple people mention that Diaz has said that this year's defense will be the best he has EVER had. I feel like a statement like this, especially from a coach, is best left unsaid unless you are 100% confident in the statement. With Manny's best defense + a top 3 SEC offense lead by a 5th year Senior heisman candidate QB, I don't think anyone, including us as fans, really knows what's about to take the field on the night of Septemeber 12th. As much as we all hated 1A/1B last year, it might be the leading factor to our success this year, outside of the obvious ones, like Dak and Bear. And honestly I'm starting to believe that 1A/1B wasn't Collins, but rather Mullen recognizing that we would be losing so much last year and knew that returning experience on the defense would be key this year. I guarantee 9 out of 10 college football experts would tell you that we are one of the top 3 youngest/inexperienced teams in the SEC, when in reality, our whole 2 deep is upperclassmen. If this isn't the year, I don't know what is.

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2015, 02:27 PM
I've seen multiple people mention that Diaz has said that this year's defense will be the best he has EVER had. I feel like a statement like this, especially from a coach, is best left unsaid unless you are 100% confident in the statement. With Manny's best defense + a top 3 SEC offense lead by a 5th year Senior heisman candidate QB, I don't think anyone, including us as fans, really knows what's about to take the field on the night of Septemeber 12th. As much as we all hated 1A/1B last year, it might be the leading factor to our success this year, outside of the obvious ones, like Dak and Bear. And honestly I'm starting to believe that 1A/1B wasn't Collins, but rather Mullen recognizing that we would be losing so much last year and knew that returning experience on the defense would be key this year. I guarantee 9 out of 10 college football experts would tell you that we are one of the top 3 youngest/inexperienced teams in the SEC, when in reality, our whole 2 deep is upperclassmen. If this isn't the year, I don't know what is.

I think we all need to pump the brakes a little bit. There's good reason for optimism, but we did lose defensive talent that will be difficult to replace. All those 1Bs you're referring to were a noticeable dropoff in talent and production from the 1As (for the most part). Those guys have to step up their game this year. You also never know about injuries.

Let's be excited and be optimistic, but we have to be real, too. We have a chance to be very good, but nothing is etched in stone, particularly due to the 1A/1B stuff. Preston, B-Mac, and Matt Wells are leaving some very big holes to fill.

I would expect that Diaz didn't say this, at least not in this context. He would be crazy as a coach to say something like that. I think what he said was more along the lines of having more talent here than he did the first time, and that's a fair statement. Talent doesn't always translate into performance, though, and you can't account for injuries.

RiverCityDawg
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Where is/was it that Diaz said this would be his best defense ever? I assume this is "he said, she said" off-the-record stuff?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 02:41 PM
I think we all need to pump the brakes a little bit. There's good reason for optimism, but we did lose defensive talent that will be difficult to replace. All those 1Bs you're referring to were a noticeable dropoff in talent and production from the 1As (for the most part). Those guys have to step up their game this year. You also never know about injuries.

Let's be excited and be optimistic, but we have to be real, too. We have a chance to be very good, but nothing is etched in stone, particularly due to the 1A/1B stuff. Preston, B-Mac, and Matt Wells are leaving some very big holes to fill.

I would expect that Diaz didn't say this, at least not in this context. He would be crazy as a coach to say something like that. I think what he said was more along the lines of having more talent here than he did the first time, and that's a fair statement. Talent doesn't always translate into performance, though, and you can't account for injuries.

F&%K IT!!!! Say it loud & say it over & over again. Don't be timid & reserved & bashful. No other fan base is. Auburn is saying Muschamp is the greatest thing ever. A&M has Chavis on the Mt. Rushmore of DC's. Why can't Manny come in & be that good. Let's stop playing it safe & be wait & see. Let's beat our chest & have some confidence. We want respect you have to carry yourself with a confident, cocky attitude. Forget being the quiet & humble fanbase. Grab your nuts sometimes & let folks know.

Dawgology
09-01-2015, 02:47 PM
F&%K IT!!!! Say it loud & say it over & over again. Don't be timid & reserved & bashful. No other fan base is. Auburn is saying Muschamp is the greatest thing ever. A&M has Chavis on the Mt. Rushmore of DC's. Why can't Manny come in & be that good. Let's stop playing it safe & be wait & see. Let's beat our chest & have some confidence. We want respect you have to carry yourself with a confident, cocky attitude. Forget being the quiet & humble fanbase. Grab your nuts sometimes & let folks know.

**** 'em! We are going to kick some ass this year.

BeardoMSU
09-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Grab your nuts sometimes & let folks know.

Dan's "inner Ben Gordon"....
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg626/xxPo0hd1n1xx/Ben.gif

TrapGame
09-01-2015, 02:48 PM

And some of that drop off was Collins' scheme, his horrid lack of communication in the secondary (which is now fixed per Will Redmond) and his knack for putting guys in the wrong position (i.e. Wells replaced by Jackson).

Jack Lambert
09-01-2015, 02:55 PM
ONe thing for sure, this board will be very active Sunday either way talking about it. I personally think both offense and defense will be fun to watch this season.

mic
09-01-2015, 02:56 PM
I have probably said this at least a dozen times
Diaz > Collins
And yeah we lost some key players
So did basically every other team
And not many teams have 2 possible 1st rounders starting on defense
We do...

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2015, 02:57 PM

I'm not saying don't be confident or even cocky. I'm saying be wary. There are a lot of moving parts.

I assure you the real Dan isn't running around pounding his chest. He's confident, but he also needs to see some guys step up. Manny is confident, but he needs to see some guys step up. I like Manny as much as everyone else but he is not at Muschamp or Chavis's level. He has something to prove. If that serves as a chip on his shoulder that drives him to be better, great. But assuming it to be so sets you up for a mighty big fall later if things don't go just right. Then you have everyone going full retard and calling for OMGHUDSPETH.

BeardoMSU
09-01-2015, 02:59 PM
And some of that drop off was Collins' scheme, his horrid lack of communication in the secondary (which is now fixed per Will Redmond) and his knack for putting guys in the wrong position (i.e. Wells replaced by Jackson).

Safety play was absolutely horrid under Collins. I expect a big improvement with Manny.

The biggest thing, as I've mentioned before, is Manny's in-game adjustments. He's gonna win us some games this year.

Book it.
http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/nod-1432321770.gif

archdog
09-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Screw it, I am in.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm not saying don't be confident or even cocky. I'm saying be wary. There are a lot of moving parts.

I assure you the real Dan isn't running around pounding his chest. He's confident, but he also needs to see some guys step up. Manny is confident, but he needs to see some guys step up. I like Manny as much as everyone else but he is not at Muschamp or Chavis's level. He has something to prove. If that serves as a chip on his shoulder that drives him to be better, great. But assuming it to be so sets you up for a mighty big fall later if things don't go just right. Then you have everyone going full retard and calling for OMGHUDSPETH.

That's just it folks are going to go crazy no matter what if you're losing. They going to lose their minds if you're loud & cocky or if you're quiet & humble. May as well be loud & confident just in case it works out.

Dawgheadcheese
09-01-2015, 03:09 PM

I like you.

RiverCityDawg
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Agree. I never liked Collins scheme with regards to him covering slot receivers with a LB. I get it with Wells but NO ONE else should have been doing that.

Of course, I also seem to remember us trying to cover Randall Cobb in the slot with a LB in 2010, so I hope we don't have d?j? vu with that.

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Not as good as Muschamp and Chavis?

Did those two in particular actually impress you with their defenses last year??

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Not as good as Muschamp and Chavis?

Did those two in particular actually impress you with their defenses last year??

Slow your roll. I didn't say not as good. I said not at their level, as in not as accomplished. That's not even a debatable point. Those guys were coordinators on national championship teams.

SDDawg
09-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Regardless of what Diaz said, Collins is a "juiced up" LB coach. Nothing more- he's going to FLOP hard at FL, may not even have a job next year. This isn't sour grapes, it's what we all know after watching last season unfold. We were an offensive juggernaut with some great talent in the front 7 but not a great defense by any stretch. Poor D killed us against OM and Ga Tech. I didn't think it would be possible, but we're going to shock the world *AGAIN* this year.

ETA: Yes, I know Collins was gone before the Orange Bowl but we were left with his mess to clean up and only a few weeks to do it.

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Slow your roll. I didn't say not as good. I said not at their level, as in not as accomplished. That's not even a debatable point. Those guys were coordinators on national championship teams.

If you meant not as accomplished, you should've said that. I think most people would assume not on their level meant the level of skill.

Robert Horry is not on Lebron's level.. but he's certainly accomplished more (in terms of championships). (I'm not comparing Muschavis to Robert Horry vs Diaz to Lebron)

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2015, 03:33 PM
If you meant not as accomplished, you should've said that. I think most people would assume not on their level meant the level of skill.

Robert Horry is not on Lebron's level.. but he's certainly accomplished more (in terms of championships). (I'm not comparing Muschavis to Robert Horry vs Diaz to Lebron)

You shouldn't speak for most people. If some took it the way you did, that's fine. My point is valid.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I think Geoff is a good coach- but I also think he is not very creative and I think he is a "pleaser"- see the 1A/1B stuff where everyone plays the same amount of reps. He couldn't make common sense adjustments- like expecting Zach Jackson to be Matt Wells instead of going to nickel.

A good defensive coordinator should have been able to scheme to cover our weakness- our safeties- by blitzing and putting more pressure on the QB rather than rely on them to make plays without any help whatsoever.

But I think Manny is going to be a huge upgrade because of what I just talked about- he can scheme around some of our weaker players. Which is probably why Coman suddenly looks a lot better right now. By disguising what we are doing and blitzing more- we should be more effective as a defense. Not to mention playing our stronger players more- like Chris Jones, Redmond, etc.

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 03:40 PM
You shouldn't speak for most people. If some took it the way you did, that's fine. My point is valid.

You shouldn't speak for me then. Besides, we can take a poll if you want. You have no point. Thanks for pointing out Chavis and Muschamp have been on national championship teams. So has Gene Chizik by the way.

DistrictDawg92
09-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I didn't say we had the best defensive coordinator in the SEC, nor did I say we would have the best defense in the SEC. I said that Manny believes he has the best defense he has ever had, and no he obviously didn't say that in an interview, that's completely against Coach Speak 101, but I do know with 100% confidence that Manny has recently been telling people off the record that this is the best defense he has ever had, regardless of school, and I'll take a coaches word over any expert, analyst or fan out there.

Coach34
09-01-2015, 03:54 PM

I agree with Dan/Strick/Nemeth/Bart/Rockey- if not this year- its not gonna happen for us ever.

We are coached well
We have the best QB in the conference
We have a really good WR group
We have a nasty DL
We have 2 CB's about to be drafted
We are a top 3 group in the conference at LB
We play LSU, Bama, and Northern Miss at home

If not now- when? We wont have a better chance to win the SEC under Mullen than in 2015

BulldogBear
09-01-2015, 03:56 PM
That's just it folks are going to go crazy no matter what if you're losing. They going to lose their minds if you're loud & cocky or if you're quiet & humble. May as well be loud & confident just in case it works out.
Baaaaaa!!!

Sweaters, Stockings, Caps, Scarves, Socks.... my wife actually has some domestic skills. She'll make us a fortune if she shears me!!!!

Dawgtini
09-01-2015, 04:01 PM
15-0!!!

Maroon_and_white
09-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Love it

Reason2succeed
09-01-2015, 04:04 PM

We're not coaches though. We are fans. (All of us except for ifyouonlyknew.) it's our job to be fanatical and insist that our team is #1 every year. Don't take yourself so seriously. At the end of the day this is only a game.

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2015, 04:06 PM
You shouldn't speak for me then. Besides, we can take a poll if you want. You have no point. Thanks for pointing out Chavis and Muschamp have been on national championship teams. So has Gene Chizik by the way.

I wasn't speaking for you, genius. Perhaps you should consider having someone speak for you, though, because you're not doing a very good job of it yourself. It's okay to disagree, but you don't have to be a dick about it because you misunderstood something.

DistrictDawg92
09-01-2015, 04:16 PM
But I think Manny is going to be a huge upgrade because of what I just talked about- he can scheme around some of our weaker players. Which is probably why Coman suddenly looks a lot better right now. By disguising what we are doing and blitzing more- we should be more effective as a defense. Not to mention playing our stronger players more- like Chris Jones, Redmond, etc.

I completely agree. A defensive coordinators job is too put his players in a position to magnify his strengths, not in a position to expose his weaknesses. Our defensive woes in 2014's last two games came about from a combination of one, Collins checking out, and two, a year of film full of exposed defensive weaknesses with ZERO sign of adjustment.

Now we have an experienced defensive coordinator, who has experience working with Mullen and has proven that he can make adjustments and learn from past mistakes. If Manny believes this defense is better than 2010, on top of having the best offense on paper in MSU history, we have no reason to not believe we are a top 10 team right now.

FISHDAWG
09-01-2015, 04:17 PM

what nat champ team was Muschamp on ?

DancingRabbit
09-01-2015, 04:19 PM
what nat champ team was Muschamp on ?

LSU with Saban, I think.

Johnson85
09-01-2015, 04:20 PM
If Manny believes this defense is better than 2010, on top of having the best offense on paper in MSU history, we have no reason to not believe we are a top 5 team right now.

FIFY. If Manny really thinks this is the best defense he's coached, then all it comes down to is whether Warren, Desper, and Clayborne are equivalent to Day, Beckwith, and Clausell. If both those things are true, then we would be looking at 11-1 barring key injuries.

RiverCityDawg
09-01-2015, 04:24 PM
he can scheme around some of our weaker players. Which is probably why Coman suddenly looks a lot better right now.

Keep sleeping on Kivon!

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 04:28 PM
I wasn't speaking for you, genius. Perhaps you should consider having someone speak for you, though, because you're not doing a very good job of it yourself. It's okay to disagree, but you don't have to be a dick about it because you misunderstood something.

Calling me names just reinforces my assumption that you have no point. Just FYI.

Dallas_Dawg
09-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I like that IYOK. Everybody be grab your nuts, on 3...

rtdawg
09-01-2015, 04:36 PM

Defense must have had a good day at practice today huh Dan?
I love it........

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Keep sleeping on Kivon!

Ball skills are something that you either have or you don't. He hasn't shown me that yet- as evidenced by 0 INT's and 6 passes defended last year, three of which were against Vanderbilt. I think he is a striker though. If it were me, I'd bulk him up and move him to OLB and start Peters, McLaurin, or Bryant.

If we insist on playing someone that isn't our best player- which has been a theme under Dan whether it's Perkins, Cherrington, or Love last year- at least Manny can cover him up somewhat and make him look serviceable.

Dawgface
09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I agree with Dan/Strick/Nemeth/Bart/Rockey- if not this year- its not gonna happen for us ever.

We are coached well
We have a nasty DL

If not now- when? We wont have a better chance to win the SEC under Mullen than in 2015

Its a great day to be alive. And a dog fan!

1bigdawg
09-01-2015, 04:55 PM

You don't have to be rude. Clearly you are taking disagreement personally.

DistrictDawg92
09-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Perhaps you should give your bubba a rub to blow off some steam. You're fighting a pointless fight by yourself man. I get what you're saying, yes we should be cautiously optimistic, but we are coming off a 10 win season and returning a heisman candidate QB and our best WR corp in history, to go with a defense that will surprise everyone. We can beat EVERYONE on our schedule for once, how many chances have you had as an MSU football fan to go all in?

ScoobaDawg
09-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I think Manny is sitting there with this type of face... Saturday can't gt here soon enough. the NEXT saturday REALLLLLYYYYY cant get here soon enough.
It's time to Show last year wasnt a fluke and its time for Manny to show what we have and what HE HAS and that Texas will not define him..

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62070/1789133-jacky.jpg

BeardoMSU
09-01-2015, 05:11 PM
I think Manny is sitting there with this type of face... Saturday can't gt here soon enough. the NEXT saturday REALLLLLYYYYY cant get here soon enough.
It's time to Show last year wasnt a fluke and its time for Manny to show what we have and what HE HAS and that Texas will not define him..

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62070/1789133-jacky.jpg

Yup. And this will be him after the season when our D is top 3 in the SEC.
http://media.giphy.com/media/Vgdnagu37fu5W/giphy.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 05:36 PM
U
Ball skills are something that you either have or you don't. He hasn't shown me that yet- as evidenced by 0 INT's and 6 passes defended last year, three of which were against Vanderbilt. I think he is a striker though. If it were me, I'd bulk him up and move him to OLB and start Peters, McLaurin, or Bryant.

If we insist on playing someone that isn't our best player- which has been a theme under Dan whether it's Perkins, Cherrington, or Love last year- at least Manny can cover him up somewhat and make him look serviceable.

You're wrong on this 1. Kivon will be our best safety & it won't be close. I have a lot of faith in Taveze's ball skills too but he only had 1 int last year.

thunderclap
09-01-2015, 06:12 PM

F***ing A.

RoverDog
09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
U

You're wrong on this 1. Kivon will be our best safety & it won't be close. I have a lot of faith in Taveze's ball skills too but he only had 1 int last year.

I've always liked Kivon, but you got me thinking he's going to be this years Preston Smith. God I hope he has that kind of a break out season.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 07:16 PM
U

Cahoun also had 53 tackles and 9 passes defended. Coman playing a position that should have more tackles than a corner only had 34 to go with 6 passes defended-half of those against Vanderbilt.

I'm sure you're going to gloat when Coman doesn't suck as bad as he did last year- which again will be more a product of Manny scheming to cover him up as opposed to him suddenly being a lot better. We'll see who the NFL scouts agree with in two years.

BTW- I heard the same crap from people about Clausell. And guess what? He was never any more than average.

Having seen the two- Peters is better than Coman right now. But that doesn't mean much seeing as how we are just now starting Chris Jones and Bear Wilson sat for most of his freshman year.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 07:18 PM
I've always liked Kivon, but you got me thinking he's going to be this years Preston Smith. God I hope he has that kind of a break out season.

Ryan Brown is this years Preston Smith. Kivon Coman is this years Blaine Clausell.

But if he is right I'm sure he will be very happy to let everyone know.

BeardoMSU
09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Ryan Brown is this years Preston Smith. Kivon Coman is this years Blaine Clausell.

To his credit, IYOK hasn't been wrong on much. I'm gonna keep holding his opinions in high esteem.

HoopsDawg
09-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Coman looks great. I would start McLaurin or Bryant at the other spot, but the coaches love Market. Absolutely love him.

Coach34
09-01-2015, 07:33 PM
To his credit, IYOK hasn't been wrong on much. I'm gonna keep holding his opinions in high esteem.

he brings outstanding info. Like me- not always correct, but good solid info. He is a valued member of the board

MabenMaroon
09-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Just the fact that Manny is emphasizing tackling skills since he returned has had me squeezing my own nuts so hard and steady that they are permanently black and blue and would fall off if I were to turn loose. A half a dozen ( or less ) missed tackles last year was all the stood between us and a 12-0 regular season.
Hell yes!!! We should be confident, but I am also digging on the "walking and talking quietly but carrying an incredibly 17** large whooping ass stick" demeanor that those around the football staff and circle have been taking. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS ABOUT TO TAKE THE FIELD THIS SEASON !!! AND THAT'S THE FACTS JACK!!!

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

We'll agree to disagree & I don't think I've been the 1 to come on here & say how right I am or pat myself on the back. I just disagree with your opinion of Kivon & so does anyone who's seen him this spring, summer, & fall. Kivon is a big time athlete too. Check the Iron Dawg board his name is on there on almost every category. He's put that athleticism with the hard work & film work & you'll see the results this fall.

BossDawg
09-01-2015, 07:46 PM
we did lose defensive talent that will be difficult to replace. All those 1Bs you're referring to were a noticeable dropoff in talent and production from the 1As (for the most part).

It was noticeable last year, sure. But those 1Bs from last year will have all that experience plus an extra year of development under their belt for this year. There's a good chance they have refined their skills to be just as good or better than the 1As of last season.

Johnson85
09-01-2015, 07:50 PM

????

I don't think that's been his MO

HoopsDawg
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
It was noticeable last year, sure. But those 1Bs from last year will have all that experience plus an extra year of development under their belt for this year. There's a good chance they have refined their skills to be just as good or better than the 1As of last season.

My only concerns this year on D are DT depth and lack of an elite pass rusher off the edge. We are solid everywhere else including safety.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
My only concerns this year on D are DT depth and lack of an elite pass rusher off the edge. We are solid everywhere else including safety.

Yea I don't think we have that 1 guy who will get 10 sacks but I think our DE 2 deep will be more productive as a group than last years.

BeardoMSU
09-01-2015, 08:12 PM

No Shit. Todd must be feeling inadequate for some reason.

HoopsDawg
09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Yea I don't think we have that 1 guy who will get 10 sacks but I think our DE 2 deep will be more productive as a group than last years.

Hope so. Preston Smith is tough to replace. Ryan Brown is not really a pass rusher. AJ Jefferson is an effort guy. Calvin can do both but is more of a run stopper and has to adjust to SEC ball. Coleman can be that X-factor...maybe.

Schultzy
09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
It's moody Todd tonight, someone must've defended Polk in an argument recently.

Coman gon' dominate.

I'm so glad Collins' ass is gone and that Fla gig is gonna fail. Manny's back and the stars are aligning, West Champs then we have as good a chance as anybody.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 08:57 PM

That has been pretty obvious. I agree with him 95% of the time.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 09:00 PM
????

Almost every time Coman has been mentioned this offseason he has been quick to point out how he "told us" that Coman was going to be the best safety this year. He hasn't mentioned me personally in a post that I can recall- but it's obvious to me who it is directed at. Most of the time I haven't responded to it and let it slide.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 09:06 PM
No Shit. Todd must be feeling inadequate for some reason.

No-I just have a different opinion.

I think he is right about Coman starting because that has been on par with what Dan usually does. I don't believe he is all that good of a safety and I think we are doing him a disservice not converting him to LB- but I think that Manny will cover him up to a large degree or have him do things that fit his strengths. I also think that we would be much better off starting Peters.

I expect this to go a lot like when people were trying to call the people out that wanted Dan gone about 10 games in during 2013. Dan started Josh and Dak like many of us said he should do- and when we started winning we got called out about it. When the reality is we would have been better off starting Dak and Josh in 2013 over Tyler and Perkins.

Similarly Coman is going to "look better" because of Manny's defense. That doesn't mean he's Ronnie Lott all of a sudden- it means we are scheming better to fit his strengths.

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Cahoun also had 53 tackles and 9 passes defended. Coman playing a position that should have more tackles than a corner only had 34 to go with 6 passes defended-half of those against Vanderbilt.

I'm sure you're going to gloat when Coman doesn't suck as bad as he did last year- which again will be more a product of Manny scheming to cover him up as opposed to him suddenly being a lot better. We'll see who the NFL scouts agree with in two years.

BTW- I heard the same crap from people about Clausell. And guess what? He was never any more than average.

Having seen the two- Peters is better than Coman right now. But that doesn't mean much seeing as how we are just now starting Chris Jones and Bear Wilson sat for most of his freshman year.

http://i.imgur.com/AJnQKF6.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Almost every time Coman has been mentioned this offseason he has been quick to point out how he "told us" that Coman was going to be the best safety this year. He hasn't mentioned me personally in a post that I can recall- but it's obvious to me who it is directed at. Most of the time I haven't responded to it and let it slide.

Sorry you felt that way. I said it every time because that's how I felt. It had nothing to do with you because you haven't been the only person skeptical on Coman & our safeties. Kivon has been killing it since the spring so I've let it be known that he's going to be good. Had nothing to do with you or anybody else.

Todd4State
09-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Sorry you felt that way. I said it every time because that's how I felt. It had nothing to do with you because you haven't been the only person skeptical on Coman & our safeties. Kivon has been killing it since the spring so I've let it be known that he's going to be good. Had nothing to do with you or anybody else.

No hard feelings.

Dallas_Dawg
09-01-2015, 09:53 PM
I think we are quick to write off guys who make mistakes as young players and don't let their careers play out, like Coman.
Shit, I remember watching Kevin Dockery trying to cover and tackle as a young player and he looked like he didn't belong on a football field. Dude ends up being pretty good and wins a Super Bowl ring.

Johnson85
09-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I think we are quick to write off guys who make mistakes as young players and don't let their careers play out, like Coman.
Shit, I remember watching Kevin Dockery trying to cover and tackle as a young player and he looked like he didn't belong on a football field. Dude ends up being pretty good and wins a Super Bowl ring.

To your point, I don't ever remember Dockery being good for us. All I remember is him getting torched. So whatever he did at MSU to show scouts he was good enough to play in the NFL, I completely missed it or blocked it out of my mind (or maybe that was the stage at which MSU football got frustrating enough that I pretty much had to drink to watch it).

HoopsCoach21
09-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Similarly Coman is going to "look better" because of Manny's defense. That doesn't mean he's Ronnie Lott all of a sudden- it means we are scheming better to fit his strengths.

So if Coman comes out and plays well it won't be because he has improved (or maybe he wasn't as bad as you made him out to be) but because of Manny's scheme? He "looks better", is making plays and doing what the coaches ask but he's not "really" better...gotcha. Covering your bases well there in case he does have a good year I see.

Look I know you don't mean to anything by it but couldn't it be both? Maybe the kid has really worked his ass off to improve AND the scheme fits him better. Let's just hope we have good safety play either way.

Dental Dawg33
09-02-2015, 12:42 PM

Hahaha grab your nuts and let folks know...I LOVE IT. We going to dominate some folks this year, I truly believe so...and there are plenty of bear associates I can't wait to grab my nuts and let them know

thf24
09-02-2015, 01:05 PM
My .02 on Coman... I would understand your suspicions, Todd, if we were hearing things from the coaches about him like "he's really coming along," or "he really works hard out there." But when our DC says "From the spring into fall I think the development of Kivon Coman has really changed our entire defense," that suggests to me that the coaches believe he's going to be an asset and a playmaker, not just that he'll be solid as long as he's kept out of areas he's weak in.

MedDawg
09-02-2015, 01:28 PM

In 2010 Diaz' top 2 sack leaders for MSU were linebackers. We definitely have some big/fast/strong LBs to fill those roles this season.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
So if Coman comes out and plays well it won't be because he has improved (or maybe he wasn't as bad as you made him out to be) but because of Manny's scheme? He "looks better", is making plays and doing what the coaches ask but he's not "really" better...gotcha. Covering your bases well there in case he does have a good year I see.

Look I know you don't mean to anything by it but couldn't it be both? Maybe the kid has really worked his ass off to improve AND the scheme fits him better. Let's just hope we have good safety play either way.

http://i.imgur.com/IUfGOh9.gif

Schultzy
09-02-2015, 05:06 PM
In 2010 Diaz' top 2 sack leaders for MSU were linebackers. We definitely have some big/fast/strong LBs to fill those roles this season.

Which also means Diaz is willing to send them after the Qb which Collins stupidly wasn't and we had McKinney who could've had double digit sacks last year.

Most of our blitzes came from the cornerbacks which I don't like to see much of, if ever.

HoopsDawg
09-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Which also means Diaz is willing to send them after the Qb which Collins stupidly wasn't and we had McKinney who could've had double digit sacks last year.

Most of our blitzes came from the cornerbacks which I don't like to see much of, if ever.

Matt Wells should have had 10 sacks last year.

Schultzy
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Matt Wells should have had 10 sacks last year.

No doubt, we coulda caused a lot of pressure and confusion for some qbs last year especially the EB when the guy was playing on one foot, but thankfully those schemes are over and we have a DC that fits our personnel.

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 05:48 PM

I'm saying he has a limited ceiling- but we can work around it to a degree and it will make him "better". That's why I compared him to Blaine Clausell. Our blocking schemes covered up his limitations as well. Each player only has a certain amount of God given talent and are only going to be able to attain level. Can he improve as a player as well as be utilized as a player better? Absolutely- and I'm sure he has improved as a player- but again, that's realistically only going to be so much.

I'm fine with that especially since Croom was and still is blasted over not playing the spread with Conner and Norwood.

But on the other hand a guy like a Peters or a McLaurin who have a higher ceiling and more athletic ability and talent- we're going to be able to do even more and at a higher level because of what they can do.

I'm sure Coman is a good person and probably works hard as evidenced by his Iron Dawg performance- and that's good. But at the end of the day it should be about who the best all around is rather than who the coaches "like" the best because they want to see him do well.

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 05:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IUfGOh9.gif

Brought to you by the guy who thought that Joe Morrow would never amount to anything.

You have a gif of someone throwing stones in a glass house?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
But on the other hand a guy like a Peters or a McLaurin who have a higher ceiling and more athletic ability and talent- we're going to be able to do even more and at a higher level because of what they can do.

This is where the disconnect is at. Kivon is 1 of the best athletes on the team. He's just as good an athlete as Peters & McLaurin.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2015, 06:08 PM
No-I just have a different opinion.

I think he is right about Coman starting because that has been on par with what Dan usually does. I don't believe he is all that good of a safety and I think we are doing him a disservice not converting him to LB- but I think that Manny will cover him up to a large degree or have him do things that fit his strengths. I also think that we would be much better off starting Peters.

I expect this to go a lot like when people were trying to call the people out that wanted Dan gone about 10 games in during 2013. Dan started Josh and Dak like many of us said he should do- and when we started winning we got called out about it. When the reality is we would have been better off starting Dak and Josh in 2013 over Tyler and Perkins.

Wut?

A disservice would be moving him to a position he's never played before, and asking him to win a spot where we're about 8 deep with stud LBers.

You also just compared stats of Coman and Calhoun, when Coman was a backup last year.

Not sure why you don't think Coman is capable of improving. Or better yet, why you don't believe the coach when they say he has morphed into a beast.

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Wut?

A disservice would be moving him to a position he's never played before, and asking him to win a spot where we're about 8 deep with stud LBers.

You also just compared stats of Coman and Calhoun, when Coman was a backup last year.

Not sure why you don't think Coman is capable of improving. Or better yet, why you don't believe the coach when they say he has morphed into a beast.

Tell that to Jimmy Johnson who built a Cowboys dynasty moving players to positions they've never played before.

If he is indeed 6'3" 190 which is what he is listed at, he could very easily add some weight and get to 215 and play the SAM position that Wells played- where his safety experience would come into play and it would also play into his strengths which is hitting people hard while minimzing his weakness which is coverage.

Ifyouonlyknew was the one who initially brought up Calhoun- hence the comparison. And you know as well as I do that our back-ups played roughly the same amount of snaps as our back-ups- so even though it's not a great comparison to start with comparing players on both 1A and 1B is somewhat relevant. Even though I normally wouldn't pick Calhoun to compare Coman to.

I think Coman is capable of improving- but as I just explained literally minutes ago I believe his ceiling is limited. Especially when compared to someone like a Jamal Peters whom I believe will be a special player for us- and that's something I don't throw around a lot. The last two players I thought were special were Bear Wilson and Chris Jones.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Tell that to Jimmy Johnson who built a Cowboys dynasty moving players to positions they've never played before.

If he is indeed 6'3" 190 which is what he is listed at, he could very easily add some weight and get to 215 and play the SAM position that Wells played- where his safety experience would come into play and it would also play into his strengths which is hitting people hard while minimzing his weakness which is coverage.

Ifyouonlyknew was the one who initially brought up Calhoun- hence the comparison. And you know as well as I do that our back-ups played roughly the same amount of snaps as our back-ups- so even though it's not a great comparison to start with comparing players on both 1A and 1B is somewhat relevant. Even though I normally wouldn't pick Calhoun to compare Coman to.

I think Coman is capable of improving- but as I just explained literally minutes ago I believe his ceiling is limited. Especially when compared to someone like a Jamal Peters whom I believe will be a special player for us- and that's something I don't throw around a lot. The last two players I thought were special were Bear Wilson and Chris Jones.

I didn't say Coman wasn't capable of playing LB, just that he never has. Fortunately we'll never find out.

Do you think Coman could beat out Brown, Brown, Jackson, Green, Gray, Harris, Jung, or Leo at a position he's never played? As a Junior?

Peter's and McLaurin are almost the same size as Coman...if they don't shine as freshman or sophs, are you going to want to move them to LB too? Sometimes it takes a year or two to get used to the speed of the SEC.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate to your point, Bc I disagree.

Todd4State
09-02-2015, 07:20 PM
I didn't say Coman wasn't capable of playing LB, just that he never has. Fortunately we'll never find out.

Do you think Coman could beat out Brown, Brown, Jackson, Green, Gray, Harris, Jung, or Leo at a position he's never played? As a Junior?

Peter's and McLaurin are almost the same size as Coman...if they don't shine as freshman or sophs, are you going to want to move them to LB too? Sometimes it takes a year or two to get used to the speed of the SEC.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate to your point, Bc I disagree.

Excuse me for misunderstanding "wut?" as I took that as you didn't think it was possible.

It's irrelevant if he can beat out all of those players. There's nothing anywhere that says "he has" to start. What if he does beat out Jackson, Gray and Jung (really the only two guys in your list that are relevant in this case as I can't see him playing MLB or Will and I haven't really seen Harris play at all) and he flourishes? The whole point is to put him into a position that is better for him and the team. I definitely think he is better in coverage than Zach Jackson is.

As far as Peters and McLaurin- there was talk of Peters being moved to LB during the recruiting cycle. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Peters or McLaurin did happen to move to LB to be honest with you considering Bryant, Peters, and McLaurin are all freshmen and it might be the best way to get them all on the field- although I'm also not looking for it to happen either. Of course our recruiting gurus (Rosebowl, Paul) all seem to believe that every recruit is always going to gain 50 pounds when they get to college and have to change positions it seems like.

At the end of the day, you should want the best players on the field. Not the ones that are the nicest and work hardest in the weight room.

You were probably one of the ones that wanted Robinson over Perkins- and it's a similar situation. But instead you're going along with Dan and just blindly trusting him.

But if that's what you want to do- that's your prerogative.

Schultzy
09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Minutiae aside, I'm glad we're so strong talent wise at safety again. It'll be interesting to see if we RS either of the two stud 5 Star Safeties (Peters and McLaurin) we recruited or if we play them both.

I'm kinda ok w it either way. Coman being bad ass as an upperclassmen is even better, we have some depth there all of the sudden.

HancockCountyDog
09-02-2015, 08:07 PM

We are coached well
We have a nasty DL

I may make this my new signature.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Wut?

Because Todd doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. But what else is new?