PDA

View Full Version : What are the top 3 things you are looking for against USM ?

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2015, 09:55 PM
First games of the year against crappy opponents are often difficult to dissect. Some fans aren't happy unless we win by 40+ points & others aren't happy if the poverty-stricken team scores a single point. However, I think most here know that we are a good team & are more or less comparing this year's team to last year's team in an effort to come up with some logical insight about how good this team will be.

With this said, so long as the game is never in doubt, I could care less about the final score & don't believe it offers much insight to how the season will go.

So here are the top 3 things I'm looking for on Saturday night to gain, what I believe, is logical insight about how to gauge this team:

1. Dak's improvement in the short to intermediate passing game & his deep ball accuracy. I believe if Dak has refined these throws & shows more touch, we'll have an NFL QB on field. With an NFL caliber QB on the field in college football, your almost certain to put up points at will, which leads to wins.

2. Chris Jones & Nick James' dominance. This is huge IMO. If these two guys bring it this year, it will make teams one dimensional & reliant on dealing with Diaz's blitzes.

3. Safety's with ball skills. Our safeties may blow a coverage or be out of position on a few plays, but those things can be fixed. However, when in position, I want to see our safeties show ball skills. Like a center fielder in baseball, I want to see our safeties take good angles, time their jumps, & go up and make a play on the ball. I want to see instincts. That will lead to numerous turnovers this season.

My next one would've been offensive line, but I'm not as worried about that. I trust Heavesy & believe that when combined with Dak's leadership & ability to read defenses, our offensive line will be fine this year.

What are your thoughts?

RC3
08-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Clayborne
Nick James
Clean special teams

messageboardsuperhero
08-31-2015, 10:07 PM
A dominating win
No injuries
The game ends before 1 AM

BeardoMSU
08-31-2015, 10:22 PM
First games of the year against crappy opponents are often difficult to dissect. Some fans aren't happy unless we win by 40+ points & others aren't happy if the poverty-stricken team scores a single point. However, I think most here know that we are a good team & are more or less comparing this year's team to last year's team in an effort to come up with some logical insight about how good this team will be.

With this said, so long as the game is never in doubt, I could care less about the final score & don't believe it offers much insight to how the season will go.

So here are the top 3 things I'm looking for on Saturday night to gain, what I believe, is logical insight about how to gauge this team:

1. Dak's improvement in the short to intermediate passing game & his deep ball accuracy. I believe if Dak has refined these throws & shows more touch, we'll have an NFL QB on field. With an NFL caliber QB on the field in college football, your almost certain to put up points at will, which leads to wins.

2. Chris Jones & Nick James' dominance. This is huge IMO. If these two guys bring it this year, it will make teams one dimensional & reliant on dealing with Diaz's blitzes.

3. Safety's with ball skills. Our safeties may blow a coverage or be out of position on a few plays, but those things can be fixed. However, when in position, I want to see our safeties show ball skills. Like a center fielder in baseball, I want to see our safeties take good angles, time their jumps, & go up and make a play on the ball. I want to see instincts. That will lead to numerous turnovers this season.

My next one would've been offensive line, but I'm not as worried about that. I trust Heavesy & believe that when combined with Dak's leadership & ability to read defenses, our offensive line will be fine this year.

What are your thoughts?

#4. In-game Shea Patterson updates***

But seriously.
A. Dak getting good protection from the O-line and good QB/WR chemistry
C. Pressure from the front 7 (which will help out the DB's)
D. Shump thumpin' the rock

mstatefan91
08-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Shut down secondary, clean O-line play (and running backs), and special teams improvement

stalkingpoon
08-31-2015, 10:39 PM
RBs, Secondary, and a nip slip from one of the cheerleaders.

Jack Lambert
08-31-2015, 10:44 PM
don't really know. I want to dominate them.

War Machine Dawg
08-31-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm not that concerned about the performance of individual players. That stuff plays out over a season. What I'm looking for is more general, but more crucial for a big season. With that in mind:

1. Physicality: We need to be the bigger bully. Smash 'em in the mouth and make 'em like it. This applies to both sides of the ball.

2. Tackling: Are we wrapping up or trying to knock guys down? How many broken tackles were allowed?

3. No Injuries: Self-explanatory.

Mjoelner34
08-31-2015, 11:03 PM
I've got 4 things.

1: A high scoring, dominating win. Winning a game like this 49-0 like last year never means that you are good but only winning 14-13 pretty much does mean that you are bad.

2. Nikky Fitz. We all know what Dak can do. I want to see what the next guy does in a game situation.

3. Chris Jones playing like his ass is on fire and the ball is a bucket of water.

4. Our DB play against long balls.

Coach34
08-31-2015, 11:22 PM
1. Our zone blocking upfront with the OL and how they communicate
2. Staley and Fitz during their series
3. Back-up DL and how physical they are

Bothrops
08-31-2015, 11:40 PM
1. No injuries.
2. Good cohesion on the OL.
3. DL ****ing shit up left and right late in
game.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-01-2015, 02:47 AM
1. DL play (starters and backups)
2. Backup QB's
3. Special teams play

thf24
09-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Pretty much yours, Shotgun.

1. Dak's improvement
2. Dominance in the trenches on both sides.
3. Secondary taking care of business.

SheltonChoked
09-01-2015, 07:01 AM
No injuries

Big plays on offense ( 30+) yards

No big plays given up on defense (+20 yards)

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2015, 07:08 AM
No injuries

No injuries

No injuries

archdog
09-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Offensive efficiency
Clean tackles
Running backs gaining yards at will.

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 08:02 AM
No injuries

No injuries

No injuries

Came here to say exactly this

LC Dawg
09-01-2015, 08:27 AM
1. I want to see our o-line and running backs confident and comfortable. We know what Dak gives us and if the running game is on track we will set records this year.
2. I want to see the defensive rotations and how the new guys that haven't played much do at game speed. Especially some of the young guys on the d-line.
3. No injuries
We only have this one preseason game so I hope we make good use of it to get ready for the Tigahs.

Johnson85
09-01-2015, 08:34 AM
1. No Injuries.

2. Dominating defense. If we have a miscommunication/breakdown with a new player in the secondary, that's one thing. I won't be too worried if our ofense is a little out of sync, but there's really not a reason our defense shouldn't suffocate them this game.

3. OL playing well together. Need them to gel quickly. We might can survive LSU without gelling depending on how good our D is and how bad their qb play is. We will need our best against Auburn though.

After that, I'd like to see

- tons of reps from any freshman or Rfr we will be relying on.
- some of our RBs show some elusiveness and breakaway speed. Not sure that's likely, but it'd be nice to see.

TrapGame
09-01-2015, 08:49 AM
1. I want to see Fitz in the 1st quarter w/ the first team O.

2. Manny's defense laying down the law!

3. Plenty of reps for the other guys in the 2nd half.

HancockCountyDog
09-01-2015, 08:53 AM
1) No injuries

2) I want to see our RB's get at least 5 ypc on a consistent basis. I also, want Dak to have no more than 8 carries in this game.

3) I want to see our front four generate pressure without blitzing.

Give me that and I will be a happy man.

dparker
09-01-2015, 08:56 AM
1. No injuries
2. No 1A, 1B crap anymore
3. No taking the foot off the gas

thunderclap
09-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Can I get a "make a kick" from the congregation?

DudyDawg
09-01-2015, 09:21 AM
I still have no faith that nick James can make a major difference for us. Hope he does but I'm not putting any eggs in that basket till I see it

Maroonthirteen
09-01-2015, 09:37 AM
1. Dominating OL. I want to see us open up some big holes. A big rushing night. NO sacks for USM.
2. Dominating DL. I want to see some TFL and sacks. Smother their running game like a folding chair under HD6.
3. Secondary.....lock them down and grab a pick.

BulldogBear
09-01-2015, 09:48 AM
A lot more points than they

A lot more yards than they

A lot more fans than they

...my tastes are simple...

gtowndawg
09-01-2015, 10:10 AM
1. Gus Walley - how will the TE be used?
2. Devon Bell - field goals. Nuff said.
3. Kendrick Market - Does he look 100%?

BulldogBear
09-01-2015, 10:12 AM
1. Gus Walley - how will the TE be used? 2. Devon Bell - field goals. Nuff said.
3. Kendrick Market - Does he look 100%?

The post I made above not withstanding, if I were being more specific, this^^^ is one I'm really interested to see. I love the TE position.

Dawg496
09-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Everyone loves a good tight end.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Everyone loves a good tight end.

+100

tcdog70
09-01-2015, 12:12 PM
i want to see Dak be able to throw a fade to Wilson
I want our special teams to be special
I want us to not have any penalties in the RED ZONE