PDA

View Full Version : O-line question???

Okrastar1
07-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Are we a better team offensively if Tobias is back this year if its only a limited role and not full time? I feel like the o-line may have been a little out of whack last year when we interchanged linemen and only played Tobias in the "big" games?

Bo Darville
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Good question. Last year, Malone was every bit as good as Tobias in the passing game. Tobias made a real difference in the running game. He provided a thump that Malone did not. But the interchanging could affect chemistry or continuity along the line. All in all, I would love to have Tobias back, even in a limited role. You can never have too many lineman that are ready to play.

engie
07-16-2013, 10:02 PM
With Tobias, Gabe, and Day blocking for Dak and Robinson I really think we could grind games out with the straight up ground and pound approach ala Florida 2010. If our defense has the swag I think we think it's capable of, I wouldn't be shocked to see this at some point...

Last year, Malone left some to be desired in run blocking but I attribute that to him simply not being totally ready physically. In my experience, I never really want to see an OL @ MSU until their third year... Seeing him as a RS fr simply shows us just how high his ceiling is...

Coach34
07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
It's certainly true that Malone was not the road grater that Tobias was in the run game- but as Engie said, Malone was just a R-Fr. Tobias has been part of the group for awhile and knows the offense inside out. He will be a big help to the OL. It's one thing to throw a R-Fr or Soph in there- but a 6th year Sr that has been thru the wars will fit in just fine

Todd4State
07-16-2013, 10:44 PM
If Tobias physically can't do it, I'd rather him not play. If he can, awesome.

Homedawg
07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Tobais is an "emergency" this year and I mean emergency. Malone is going to be a stud. I believe that.

PMDawg
07-17-2013, 07:32 AM
did I miss something? I thought it was pretty well settled that Tobias wasn't playing this year.

Okrastar1
07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
I just feel if he can't go every game health wise just go with Malone. Hard to say because if Tobias could have stayed healthy I believe he would be just as coveted as Gabe if not more to the nfl. O-line to me is all about knowing what the man beside you will do every play, and when he came in it seemed like they were a little off at times

Okrastar1
07-17-2013, 07:38 AM
PM I'm hearing he truly wants to play, and they are contemplating a part time/big game role like last year.

PMDawg
07-17-2013, 09:02 AM
PM I'm hearing he truly wants to play, and they are contemplating a part time/big game role like last year.

Great, if he's up to speed. Has he continued working out? I know he missed the spring.

Coach34
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
of course he has. He took the Spring off to let his body heal. He wants to help the team- and when healthy, he can push people around. It's a no-brainer

eta- he was out there all Spring coaching with the OL, so he knows everything that is going on

The Croom Diaries
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
If Tobias wants to play then I want him in there. He is >>> Archie Muniz. I think I'll take a guy whose been here for six years all day every day, especially a guy like Tobias Smith. From what I hear it sounds like he has pretty much settled in on his future as a football coach and I don't think he has any aspirations of playing in the NFL (although that could change of course), so I don't see why he can't just be a really solid backup for Malone and relieve him especially in crucial running situations - although Justin may be a lot better in that area this fall. Tobias is a solid leader of the line so it would do nothing but enhance our chances if he is out there, or at least on the sidelines coaching 'em up.

Goat Holder
07-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Tobias needs to be hired on as a recruiter.