PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss going back to Natural Grass for 2016...

CadaverDawg
08-31-2015, 11:32 AM
That might hurt their "basketball on turf" crap. Don't they have a poor record on natural grass? Thought someone said that.

Big deal? No big deal? Thoughts?

I'm glad our players won't have to risk injury on it anymore in the Egg Bowl.

UMCDawg16
08-31-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm glad they are switching.

Coursesuper
08-31-2015, 11:37 AM
In real turf grass Treadwell doesn't break his leg. There is no give in the fake turf. Plus the expense of putting in new turf every five years. Now we shall see if they can hire someone to handle it properly.

msstate7
08-31-2015, 11:41 AM
It'll be interesting if they recruit a little more size instead of pure speed on defense

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
In real turf grass Treadwell doesn't break his leg. There is no give in the fake turf. Plus the expense of putting in new turf every five years. Now we shall see if they can hire someone to handle it properly.

I think we offered to help them last time. They turned us down.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2015, 11:57 AM
That might hurt their "basketball on turf" crap. Don't they have a poor record on natural grass? Thought someone said that.

Big deal? No big deal? Thoughts?

I'm glad our players won't have to risk injury on it anymore in the Egg Bowl.

They do have a poor record on natural grass, but I think it's a non-factor. I think some of the record thing has a lot to do with most of the best teams playing on grass, like Alabama, LSU, & Auburn & the home team wins the Egg Bowl every year. They beat A&M on grass last year.

I don't think this hurts them, but I definitely feel more comfortable going to Oxford and playing on grass. It seems every time MSU plays in Oxford, we have a big injury.

SheltonChoked
08-31-2015, 11:59 AM
I thought the excuse was the field got too much shade to grow grass. And that turf was cheaper.

This makes how many times they have switched ? 3? 4?

Bama_Dawg
08-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Hey, if its good enough for Scott Field and the Rose Bowl (http://msuturf.com/venues.html)...it should be just fine for NMU. Then again, we could always make the joke that during the Egg Bowl, no matter home or away, we are always on our home turf.

So yeah, they'll bring in someone else to do it and they'll screw it up. They'll be back to artificial turf in 5 years.

LC Dawg
08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
I think this was just talking about the players. They had been using the synthetic stuff because of drug tests but now they are going back to the natural grass because Coach Freeze warned them about the dangers of the synthetics. He also let it slip that their testing equipment was "broken".

maroonmania
08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Good, every time we play up there we get a serious injury or two. I know we had a guy break his leg in 2008 up there and Chad Bumphis broke his collar bone diving for a ball in 2010. Stuff is just nasty. Guess it took one of their own getting maimed to rethink the situation. I just hope we get out of Hattiesburg without anything serious happening on their artificial crap this weekend.

thf24
08-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Haven't they had artificial turf because part of the field doesn't get enough sunlight? How do they plan on solving that problem? Or am I just making that up?

messageboardsuperhero
08-31-2015, 01:04 PM
All I have to say is thank God and it's about time. You will see leg injuries on that field go down immensely.

BossDawg
08-31-2015, 01:06 PM
I wonder why they got turf to begin with. To be different? Less maintenance?

War Machine Dawg
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
I wonder why they got turf to begin with. To be different? Less maintenance?

As others have alluded to, they were having problems with the natural grass dying. Too much shade in one area of the stadium, supposedly. So they went with some really crappy field turf instead.

Dawg61
08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Their turf is hideous so I'm glad to hear they are ditching it. I hate fake turf with a passion. I even hate the fake bullshit Cohen put in the batters box and foul areas but that's a different story.

dawggoneit
08-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Haven't they had artificial turf because part of the field doesn't get enough sunlight? How do they plan on solving that problem? Or am I just making that up?
Several players went together and donated some of their unused grow lights.

Maroonthirteen
08-31-2015, 02:48 PM
My thoughts.......

Why does is Mississippi University for Women, a coed university, still called Mississippi University for WOMEN? Dumb as hell but I don't give 2 ####s. Same for Old Mrs. field. Besides, did they go around saying it was the best turf ever a few years back.....

RAYn_Man
08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Didn't Bama's running back have a nasty injury at their place last year?

scottycameron
08-31-2015, 02:55 PM
My thoughts.......

Why does is Mississippi University for Women, a coed university, still called Mississippi University for WOMEN? Dumb as hell but I don't give 2 ####s. Same for Old Mrs. field. Besides, did they go around saying it was the best turf ever a few years back.....

well, we play on it every other year so I guess that's why people on here care. It was also a fun to make fun of their fake turf.
As to MUW, I guess they don't care what a bunch of PC queers think about their name, so they continue to call it what they want to.

scottycameron
08-31-2015, 02:56 PM
Several player went together and donated some of their unused grow lights.

+1!

EdDawg
08-31-2015, 03:04 PM
I believe the head of the grounds crew(I guess that's his title) for baseball is a state grad, so I would imagine he would be giving insight or may be directly over the process of them switching to grass. If that is the case then I'm sure they will get everything worked out.

Maroonthirteen
08-31-2015, 03:19 PM
well, we play on it every other year so I guess that's why people on here care. As to MUW, I guess they don't care what a bunch of PC queers think about their name, so they continue to call it what they want to.

Good point.

I know one lady that graduated from the W, 40 years ago probably...before it was coed. She is very smart and successful. She will go to her grave fighting to keep it "The W". She doesn't care for the men students. I don't get it either...go to EMCC or MSU and avoid the questions for the rest of your life on why you went to a women's college.

Mjoelner34
08-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Several players went together and donated some of their unused grow lights.

Well done! +1

Todd4State
08-31-2015, 04:45 PM
I don't know about the sunlight, but they sure as hell can't grow grass at Ole Miss. I remember the 1996 Egg Bowl in Oxford which was on grass and it rained almost all day. We were basically playing in a mud pit between the dead grass and the fact that the stadium didn't drain at all.

The funny thing is being in the band at that time every time we took a step you heard these squishing noises that were just as loud as the music.

BiscuitEater
08-31-2015, 05:39 PM

They have tried most things out there. Short history ..

1915 - 1969 Natural Grass
1970 - 1984 AstroTurf
1985 - 2002 Natural Grass
2003 - 2008 AstroPlay Synthetic
2009 - 2015 FieldTurf
2016 Natural Grass

Two Alums ponied up the $500K for the FieldTurf they will have used 6 years.

sleepy dawg
08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
I think this was just talking about the players. They had been using the synthetic stuff because of drug tests but now they are going back to the natural grass because Coach Freeze warned them about the dangers of the synthetics. He also let it slip that their testing equipment was "broken".

nice

Mjoelner34
09-01-2015, 12:12 PM
I hear that they are already hiring groundskeepers and that these two come highly recommended by the players.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/7/77/Cheech-chong-2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141112193914&path-prefix=protagonist

archdog
09-01-2015, 03:35 PM
MSU wants AJ.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-01-2015, 08:59 PM

And Freeze said "let there be light", and it was so.