PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 Notes (and Depth Chart) per @HailStateFB

Dawg496
08-31-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/pdf/fb/fb_notes_msuusm15.pdf?SPID=10997&DB_OEM_ID=16800

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2015, 10:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNvxfqKWcAAZThr.jpg

We all know these things are trash, but nonetheless

A few things here:

1. Martinas Rankin is not on the two deep. Could the redshirt be true?

2. No true freshmen are on the two deep

3. Will Redmond & Fred Ross on kick return, interesting.....

missouridawg
08-31-2015, 10:38 AM
In the "2015 Preseason Honors" section, they've listed Dak as a Jr. I know it's wrong, but damn how awesome would that be.

mstatefan91
08-31-2015, 10:39 AM
So, De'Runnya is playing?

Dawg496
08-31-2015, 10:40 AM
I know the depth chart doesn't mean much.. but.. found these interesting:

-Fred Brown starting over Morrow
-No Rankin on 2 deep (expected, I know)
-Hutherson backing up Walley instead of Justin Johnson
-Holloway/Lee/Williams 3-way tie at backup RB
-Redmond/Ross at KR
-No Peters or McLaurin on 2-deep at S

Coach34
08-31-2015, 10:40 AM
As I said- and Hoopsdawg told me I was wrong- Rankin is not listed and is going to be redshirted unless we have a major injury at OT. Jenkins is the 3rd OT because he has already been RS'ed. Rankin and Jenkins were about even in Fall camp.

I wasn't posting what I thought- I was posting what I was told.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2015, 10:41 AM

17 No. Mullen probably doesn't even know this depth chart exists. He probably tasked some intern, that works out of the basement, with this project back in June & just told him to list the obvious starters first & older guys on the 2nd team over young guys.

mstatefan91
08-31-2015, 10:44 AM
17 No. Mullen probably doesn't even know this depth chart exists. He probably tasked some intern, that works out of the basement, with this project back in June & just told him to list the obvious starters first & older guys on the 2nd team over young guys.

May find out today in the presser. Bound to come up.

Bama_Dawg
08-31-2015, 10:45 AM

Like Shotgun said, not a snowball's chance in, well, that really hot place. This will get Morrow (AKA Stonehands), time to build some confidence. We will certainly need him this year. Its Joe's time to make his mark too.

Maybe he will channel the Joe Morrow from his Ocean Springs days being so close to home and all. I really look forward to him showing out in H'burg.

Coach34
08-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Stonehands played solid ball last year. Joe should have a good year this year

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2015, 10:51 AM
The WR depth chart is how I figured it would be. Big WR (Bear & Joe) on 1 side with the speed WR (Fred & Donald) on the other side. It just matches up better that way. Not 100% positive but I think the Fred on kickoff returns is supposed to be Fred Brown.

CadaverDawg
08-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Where can one view Dan's presser today? And what time does it start?

Thanks

CadaverDawg
08-31-2015, 11:06 AM
People think our OL will struggle, yet experience and age matters a lot when it comes to OL play. Notice we only have one guy in our 2 deep OL that is younger than a Junior....not to mention the #1 Juco OT in the country below that if needed. #DeepAndExperienced

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Where can one view Dan's presser today? And what time does it start?

Thanks

It's at 1pm & I'm sure they will have it live on Periscope. SHHH don't tell Scotty Cameron about this new 2015 technology.

Dawg496
08-31-2015, 11:09 AM
I like Brown getting the start. No doubt Morrow will play a lot.. but F. Brown is the breakout player this year.

Coach34
08-31-2015, 11:10 AM
People think our OL will struggle, yet experience and age matters a lot when it comes to OL play. Notice we only have one guy in our 2 deep OL that is younger than a Junior....not to mention the #1 Juco OT in the country below that if needed. #DeepAndExperiencedThis OL has a higher ceiling than last year's. It's a more physical group.

archdog
08-31-2015, 11:14 AM

I saw that the teams gpa of 2.75 was the highest in MSU history for the entire team. Eat it Vandy, our boys are smart.

Covercorner2
08-31-2015, 11:18 AM
What sticks out to me is that we aren't starting a single guy that's not at least a junior. Oh, and we return 15 guys that have started a game before...

Jack Lambert
08-31-2015, 11:20 AM
We C average team.

RC3
08-31-2015, 11:20 AM
I expected nick James to beat out Nelson adams for first team(though I think they will basically split snaps)

archdog
08-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. We only return 7 total starters. The others don't count and you know it.

As of Sunday morning, we return 22 starters.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 9m9 minutes ago
Mississippi State will start 22 juniors and seniors -- two more than it did last year. http://on.thec-l.com/1Fcq6SV

Funny, I haven't heard the SEC Network geniuses mention this.

Also, get this: after Saturday night MSU will have 22 returning starters, the best QB in the league, & one of the oldest starting lineups in the league.
#LastPlace #6-6

GreenheadDawg
08-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I expected nick James to beat out Nelson adams for first team(though I think they will basically split snaps)

That's the main thing that stuck out to me. I've officially become concerned with the DL if Nick James couldn't become a 1

CadaverDawg
08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
That's the main thing that stuck out to me. I've officially become concerned with the DL if Nick James couldn't become a 1

Why? Nelson Adams looked really good last year. Played a ton with the 1's. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Jones was "2nd string" a year ago too. Nothing to that

Really Clark?
08-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. We only return 7 total starters. The others don't count and you know it.

As of Sunday morning, we return 22 starters.

What did he say that wasn't factual? He said 15 guys who have started before. Not 1st team starters but have game starts. He was right and it is an appropriate statement.

GreenheadDawg
08-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Why? Nelson Adams looked really good last year. Played a ton with the 1's. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Jones was "2nd string" a year ago too. Nothing to that

I thought he was decent but soft. I see him as a serviceable back up but not a starter. But that's JMHO

Johnson85
08-31-2015, 11:54 AM
As mentioned, these things aren't worth much, but I think there are a few things it tells us:

(1) Fred brown will start over Morrow (or really Morrow will be moved behind Bear). This makes sense when you look at putting you're big receivers on one side and speed on the other, but I really thought as a senior that had improved every year, Morrow would have a starting position. I guess he'll get to start this Saturday with Bear out, but expected him to start opposite and then maybe Brown or Gray playing critical downs.

(2) Cory Thomas has not separated himself from Braxton Hoyett? Not as sure about this one, but I would have expected to see Cory Thomas listed as a primary backup at one DT, and then Neslon Adams or Nick James at the other, with Braxton Hoyett included with that group since Nick James will still probably need more breathers than the other DTs. Or maybe this is just an example of not much thought being put into these.

(3) Martinas is going to redshirt if possible. Still possible that he's just no listed in the 2-deep because he's new, but I'm guessing the people saying he's going to be redshirted are right. If he doesn't play at all against USM, I think we'll know they're going to try to redshirt him.

(4) Richie is staying at MLB? I thought there was talk about Benequez being in the middle and Richie moving outside. But with Gerri Green backing up Richie and Dez Harris backing up Beniquez, I assume that means Richie and Gerri will be the MLBs.

(5) Brandon Bryant and Kivon Coman are our solutions at safety. If Market really is fully recovered (which would be awesome, but I can't believe it until I see it), that's great. But I feel better seeing Coman and at safety and Brandon Bryant at the other. If Peters and McLaurin can come in and get good back-up reps, great. I was just really, really worried that one safety position was going to be Market, and Evans, and a freshman after seeing an earlier depth chart (even though the depth chart didn't have input from coaches and was just based off of where people were practicing).

Lastly, I'm more worried about our OL looking at the depth chart. We know what we have in Malone and Senior. We can feel pretty good about Clayborn but we don't know how he will handle Center. We can feel pretty good about Desper based on his performance last year. After that, we still don't really know what Warren brings to the table. Our swing tackle is a RS Fr, obviously an unknown. Our backup guard is either a RS-Fr, an obvious unknown, or a 5th year senior who we know is serviceable but not good (and that's assuming he's fully recovered from his injury). Our backup center is a JUCO that was redshirted last year, so obviously an unknown. Throw in the fact that both (I think both, definitely Jenkins) of the RS freshmen we will be relying on were late takes for us, not somebody we were on from the get go, and I'm worried. I know Hevesy has done good with pretty limited talent before, but that's asking a lot to expect an OL to go from "we're not sure he's worth a scholarship" to "we will be ok if we have an injury and have to rely on him" in 18 months.

RichardHarrow
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Link to press conference

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2649661/Mississippi-State-Football-Weekly-Press-Conference

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Lastly, I'm more worried about our OL looking at the depth chart. We know what we have in Malone and Senior. We can feel pretty good about Clayborn but we don't know how he will handle Center. We can feel pretty good about Desper based on his performance last year. After that, we still don't really know what Warren brings to the table. Our swing tackle is a RS Fr, obviously an unknown. Our backup guard is either a RS-Fr, an obvious unknown, or a 5th year senior who we know is serviceable but not good (and that's assuming he's fully recovered from his injury). Our backup center is a JUCO that was redshirted last year, so obviously an unknown. Throw in the fact that both (I think both, definitely Jenkins) of the RS freshmen we will be relying on were late takes for us, not somebody we were on from the get go, and I'm worried. I know Hevesy has done good with pretty limited talent before, but that's asking a lot to expect an OL to go from "we're not sure he's worth a scholarship" to "we will be ok if we have an injury and have to rely on him" in 18 months.

Don't be surprised if Jenkins & Calhoun are 3yr starters. They are going to be that good.

HoopsDawg
08-31-2015, 12:05 PM
As I said- and Hoopsdawg told me I was wrong- Rankin is not listed and is going to be redshirted unless we have a major injury at OT. Jenkins is the 3rd OT because he has already been RS'ed. Rankin and Jenkins were about even in Fall camp.

I wasn't posting what I thought- I was posting what I was told.

Keep patting yourself on the back. Calhoun is the swing guard and Rankin is the swing tackle. LOL at some of the things on this depth chart like Robinson at 2nd string guard. At least Jordan Washington isn't listed as 2nd string DT.

missouridawg
08-31-2015, 12:19 PM
I think there are a lot of people who are taking this depth chart as fact. And that is most likely not the case.

Coach34
08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Keep patting yourself on the back. Calhoun is the swing guard .

yes- this is correct

GTHOM
08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
This is the first ive heard of Bear not playing. im guessing cause of the issue in the offseason?? And i was hoping Mullen would let Bryant, Peters, Mclaurin get a lot of reps at Safety. But i figured he would stick with the play the seniors thing he has going. And Zach Jackson better not be 1 on 1 with their best TE at any point, vs any team this season.

Johnson85
08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Don't be surprised if Jenkins & Calhoun are 3yr starters. They are going to be that good.

I can't help but be skeptical. Just shocking to me that Jenkins was in our back yard and we couldn't decide until the last minute whether he was worthy of a scholly, and he's clearly the heir apparent at LT 18 months later. I know stuff like that happens, but I'm just not used to it happening for us at a position of need.

Coach34
08-31-2015, 01:00 PM
I can't help but be skeptical. Just shocking to me that Jenkins was in our back yard and we couldn't decide until the last minute whether he was worthy of a scholly, and he's clearly the heir apparent at LT 18 months later. I know stuff like that happens, but I'm just not used to it happening for us at a position of need.

Calhoun and Jenkins are being touted as the best 2 OL recruits Mullen has signed

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2015, 01:04 PM

Talent was never the issue with Jenkins his weight was. His situation was similar to Day's just not as talked about.

AlSwearengen
08-31-2015, 01:07 PM

Isn't Jenkins the one they offered last minute b/c no one else knew about him and they wanted to keep him under wraps. At least that was the popular party line. Or maybe I am thinking about another recent ol signee.

Johnson85
08-31-2015, 01:11 PM
I think there are a lot of people who are taking this depth chart as fact. And that is most likely not the case.

I think it's obvious to everybody that this depth chart is not "fact". None of the depth charts for us ever are. I think the question is whether at the positions where there are two upper classmen competing, or where it has all the prospects listed, does it contain real information or not.

confucius say
08-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Isn't Jenkins the one they offered last minute b/c no one else knew about him and they wanted to keep him under wraps. At least that was the popular party line. Or maybe I am thinking about another recent ol signee.

That was calhoun

HoopsDawg
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
I think it's obvious to everybody that this depth chart is not "fact". None of the depth charts for us ever are. I think the question is whether at the positions where there are two upper classmen competing, or where it has all the prospects listed, does it contain real information or not.

Yes, the only 2 newcomers listed are Calvin and Gray and that's only b/c there aren't any other veterans to list in those spots.

HoopsDawg
08-31-2015, 01:17 PM
That was calhoun

Calhoun was a late pickup b/c we lost Stallings to UK. Cochran was the reach.

PlattsburgDawg
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM

That was Michael Story. Except he was an early enrollee.

War Machine Dawg
08-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Talent was never the issue with Jenkins his weight was. His situation was similar to Day's just not as talked about.

This.

confucius say
08-31-2015, 02:06 PM
That was Michael Story. Except he was an early enrollee.

You are right. Not sure why I was thinking Calhoun

Jarius
08-31-2015, 02:06 PM
That was calhoun

No, that was Michael Story. Did it to keep Freeze from offering him. He enrolled early.

ETA: sorry, just saw the other post.

Schultzy
08-31-2015, 06:52 PM

I think Nelson Adams is running first team mostly w James the 3rd DT, Thomas then Hoyett

DownwardDawg
08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
People think our OL will struggle, yet experience and age matters a lot when it comes to OL play. Notice we only have one guy in our 2 deep OL that is younger than a Junior....not to mention the #1 Juco OT in the country below that if needed. #DeepAndExperienced

That's the 1st thing I noticed when I read the chart. I was gonna post "we're so young"************
We have a lot of experience and guys that have been around a long time on this team.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Not many returning starters. But lots of returning experience and talent. I like our team.

messageboardsuperhero
09-01-2015, 08:08 AM
People wonder why we lose so many starters every year... Look at the damn depth chart. All 22 of our starters are juniors/seniors- and with the way we redshirt, develop, and rotate, we are almost always going to have a very experienced team. Then when the season ends, we always lose a lot of senior starters- only to have them replaced by another senior/junior who has a ton of experience.

Homedawg
09-01-2015, 08:24 AM
People wonder why we lose so many starters every year... Look at the damn depth chart. All 22 of our starters are juniors/seniors- and with the way we redshirt, develop, and rotate, we are almost always going to have a very experienced team. Then when the season ends, we always lose a lot of senior starters- only to have them replaced by another senior/junior who has a ton of experience.

Ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner. One day they will see it, never mind , we will be picked last again next year. That's ok. I'm past that.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2015, 08:55 AM

And this is what we've always hoped we would get to. This is what Bama does every year. Mullen has does an incredible job building our program.