PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Shea Patterson Scouting Report

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Man I'm starving for some football...& this gave me a good Sunday afternoon project.

Anyway, I recorded Shea's high school game today & then fast forwarded through it watching only his plays. This was interesting in that Patterson is a QB that MSU will see a ton of over the next 4 years, & I think it's fun to try and predict what our competition will look like in the future.

This post will consist of two parts. In the first part I will grade each tool out on a scale of 1-10 with the present tool grade listed first & future, projected tool grade listed 2nd. Present/future. In the second part of the report, I will offer my general thoughts on the player and how I see him projecting in the future.

I did this as objectively & unbiased as I could.

Here we go:

Body: 40/45 - Medium frame with a lean build & average height. Projects to a fair, on light side build. Will need to avoid consistent hits & lacks physicality to pound runs up the middle.

Footwork: 55/60 - Player possesses quick feet & agility. Should have the potential avoid the first pass rusher & buy time

Pocket Presence: 45/55 - Fair pocket presence. Has good feet in the pocket & ability to manipulate the pocket, but doesn?t step into throws & often leaves the pocket to soon

Arm strength: 40/50 - Current arm strength in fair at this point & projects to be average down the road. Shows a good release & short, compact arm stroke. Must gain strength in lower half to produce more drive. Arm strength should be adequate in the future, but not a strength

Speed: 50/50 - Very average for his position. Has quick feet that allows him to manipulate the pocket, but lacks the physicality or raw speed to be a factor in the run game.

Accuracy: 45/60 - Along with his nice, compact release & touch on short to intermediate passes, I believe Patterson shows the potential for above average accuracy once he learns to consistently step into his throws. Shows plus ability to throw on the run.

Player comparison - Case Keenum

Conclusion:

Strengths: Ability to manipulate the pocket, refined feel for the passing game, vision, & release.

Weaknesses: General physicality, below average arm strength, future projection, & instinct to not step into passes when standing in the pocket.
Conclusion:

Lean, refined high school QB that shows advanced feel for the passing game, good vision, & possesses many of the requisite ingredients to develop into an above average distributor at the college level. I like Shea & thought he certainly appeared to be refined beyond his years & should play early in his career at Ole Miss. However, he does have limitations. His arm strength will likely never be above average & he lacks the physicality, speed, & athleticism to project as a threat in the run game. In order to have long term success, he'll have to avoid hits & develop the instincts to step into a throw & take a hit. In conclusion, I see Shea having a similar tool set to Case Keenum & I not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On the good side, Case was an outstanding college QB & has played in the NFL, but, on the bad side, I'm not sure how that style of QB play will play in Ole Miss' offense, which requires the QB to be somewhat of a threat in the run game, which Patterson doesn't possess the size, physicality, or speed to contribute in. I can pretty much assure you that MSU never recruited Patterson, not because he isn't good, but because he simply, in no way, has the toolset that Dan Mullen is seeking to run MSU's system. Mullen wants 6'4", 230+ pound guys that can run downhill & Patterson simply isn't that guy.

As far as Patterson being ranked the number 1 QB in the country, I agree & I disagree at the same time. Patterson likely has the highest floor of any high school QB in the country, since he already possesses advanced vision & feel for the passing game, &, if I were a high school receiver, I'd probably want to play with him, but I don't believe Patterson possesses anywhere near the highest ceiling of any QB in the country, due to size, arm strength, & lack of physicality. My guess is that there are rawer, higher ceiling, lower floor QB prospects out there & a few of them will refine their skills this season & overtake Patterson as the number 1 QB. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but Patterson is simply the best 7-7 high school QB in the country, & would fit in great at Texas A&M, Hal Mumme's Kentucky teams, Texas Tech, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, or Oklahoma, where QBs are asked to distribute the ball & not be a factor in the run game. The question in my mind is if Ole Miss will be a better team with this style of offense? Bo Wallace was a big enough threat in zone read game to make teams respect it.

Lastly, for me Patterson is a high 4 star, 93 or 95 rated type talent that, in the correct scheme, should be an above average college QB, but I don't see 5 star talent here. I don't see Heisman ability, arm strength, physicality, or game changing ability. I see a steady distributor that will need good players around him & a solid offensive line to be successful.

Anyway, I'm sure I will be wrong here in many aspects, but this is objectively how I saw him & would value him if there were a "college football draft" this year.

cbrunt29
08-30-2015, 05:40 PM
If he can throw a bubble screen, he will fit their offense just fine

C222
08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
You recorded his high school game?? Yikes.

shoeless joe
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Good grief...

UMCDawg16
08-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Prediction: This post will make the Spirit's "Your daily comics" post.
Overall pretty solid breakdown. If he can't run, that severely limits what Freeze wants to do. He sounds like a more polished Bo Wallace that can't run as well. Hopefully he will be a better decision maker than Bo....

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 06:16 PM
You recorded his high school game?? Yikes.

Is this my wife?

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Prediction: This post will make the Spirit's "Your daily comics" post.

Likely, but I don't really care. Was interested to see him play & found it to be an interesting project.

Nice player

sbcmortgageman
08-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Goodness Shotgun. And you wonder why people think you're an OM troll.

BeardoMSU
08-30-2015, 07:42 PM
interesting project.

You need hobbies that don't involve OM....

scottycameron
08-30-2015, 07:49 PM
that has to be a copy and paste.

msstate7
Get us a detailed breakdown of nick tiano. He's quite the mystery to me. Never really hear anything about him which I find odd considering he's a qb

Bass Chaser
Shotgun do you tweet recruits?

CadaverDawg
08-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Man I'm starving for some football...& this gave me a good Sunday afternoon project.

Anyway, I recorded Shea's high school game today & then fast forwarded through it watching only his plays. This was interesting in that Patterson is a QB that MSU will see a ton of over the next 4 years, & I think it's fun to try and predict what our competition will look like in the future.

This post will consist of two parts. In the first part I will grade each tool out on a scale of 1-10 with the present tool grade listed first & future, projected tool grade listed 2nd. Present/future. In the second part of the report, I will offer my general thoughts on the player and how I see him projecting in the future.

Here we go:

Body: 40/45 - Medium frame with a lean build & average height. Projects to a fair, on light side build. Will need to avoid consistent hits & lacks physicality to pound runs up the middle.

Footwork: 55/60 - Player possesses quick feet & agility. Should have the potential avoid the first pass rusher & buy time

Pocket Presence: 45/55 - Fair pocket presence. Has good feet in the pocket & ability to manipulate the pocket, but doesn?t step into throws & often leaves the pocket to soon

Arm strength: 40/50 - Current arm strength in fair at this point & projects to be average down the road. Shows a good release & short, compact arm stroke. Must gain strength in lower half to produce more drive. Arm strength should be adequate in the future, but not a strength

Speed: 50/50 - Very average for his position. Has quick feet that allows him to manipulate the pocket, but lacks the physicality or raw speed to be a factor in the run game.

Accuracy: 45/60 - Along with his nice, compact release & touch on short to intermediate passes, I believe Patterson shows the potential for above average accuracy once he learns to consistently step into his throws. Shows plus ability to throw on the run.

Conclusion:

Strengths: Ability to manipulate the pocket, refined feel for the passing game, vision, & release.

Weaknesses: General physicality, below average arm strength, future projection, & instinct to not step into passes when standing in the pocket.
Conclusion:

Lean, refined high school QB that shows advanced feel for the passing game, good vision, & possesses many of the requisite ingredients to develop into an above average distributor at the college level. I like Shea & thought he certainly appeared to be refined beyond his years & should play early in his career at Ole Miss. However, he does have limitations. His arm strength will likely never be above average & he lacks the physicality, speed, & athleticism to project as a threat in the run game. In order to have long term success, he'll have to avoid hits & develop the instincts to step into a throw & take a hit. In conclusion, I see Shea having a similar tool set to Case Keenum & I not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On the good side, Case was an outstanding college QB & has played in the NFL, but, on the bad side, I'm not sure how that style of QB play will play in Ole Miss' offense, which requires the QB to be somewhat of a threat in the run game, which Patterson doesn't possess the size, physicality, or speed to contribute in. I can pretty much assure you that MSU never recruited Patterson, not because he isn't good, but because he simply, in no way, has the toolset that Dan Mullen is seeking to run MSU's system. Mullen wants 6'4", 230+ pound guys that can run downhill & Patterson simply isn't that guy.

As far as Patterson being ranked the number 1 QB in the country, I agree & I disagree at the same time. Patterson likely has the highest floor of any high school QB in the country, since he already possesses advanced vision & feel for the passing game, &, if I were a high school receiver, I'd probably want to play with him, but I don't believe Patterson possesses anywhere near the highest ceiling of any QB in the country, due to size, arm strength, & lack of physicality. My guess is that there are rawer, higher ceiling, lower floor QB prospects out there & a few of them will refine their skills this season & overtake Patterson as the number 1 QB. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but Patterson is simply the best 7-7 high school QB in the country, & would fit in great at Texas A&M, Hal Mumme's Kentucky teams, Texas Tech, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, or Oklahoma, where QBs are asked to distribute the ball & not be a factor in the run game. The question in my mind is if Ole Miss will be a better team with this style of offense? Bo Wallace was a big enough threat in zone read game to make teams respect it.

Lastly, for me Patterson is a high 4 star, 93 or 95 rated type talent that, in the correct scheme, should be an above average college QB, but I don't see 5 star talent here. I don't see Heisman ability, arm strength, physicality, or game changing ability. I see a steady distributor that will need good players around him & a solid offensive line to be successful.

Anyway, I'm sure I will be wrong here in many aspects, but this is objectively how I saw him & would value him if there were a "college football draft" this year.

http://media.giphy.com/media/M2TV62ihjVTGM/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Get us a detailed breakdown of nick tiano. He's quite the mystery to me. Never really hear anything about him which I find odd considering he's a qb

Would love to, but have never seen him play. I don't like to watch highlight tapes because they are only highlights. I need to see a full game where you can see the good and bad of a player.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 07:55 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/M2TV62ihjVTGM/giphy.gif

Thanks big guy, way to involve yourself in group think there.

CadaverDawg
08-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Seriously man, this is the most obsessive, ridiculous shit I've ever seen. What the absolute f*ck made you do this? I'm afraid your cover may have finally been officially blown on this nonsense.

Sorry, but that shit is beyond extreme.

Drugdog
08-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Ummm. I see a red flag as a troll.

msstate7
08-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Ummm. I see a red flag as a troll.

Shotgun isn't a troll. He's worrying about OM a little too much, but he's a dawg

UMCDawg16
08-30-2015, 08:20 PM
I've seen multiple people on the Spirit day that Shotgun is an OM guy. Just saying.

msstate7
08-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I've seen multiple people on the Spirit day that Shotgun is an OM guy. Just saying.

If he's a troll, he's been good... 6,000+ posts

UMCDawg16
08-30-2015, 08:24 PM

I know. Maybe Yancy pays him****

CadaverDawg
08-30-2015, 08:40 PM
I don't think Shotgun is a troll....I just think he got extremely carried away and needs to quit worrying about Ole Miss.

Shit happens, just gotta take your medicine and roll on, Shotgun. I've definitely posted some dumb shit in my day that I got ripped for (nothing like that Shea Patterson novel though!). It will be over soon, and you'll celebrate when this thread rolls off the first page....but you gotta admit, if you go back and read that post, you are getting what you deserve.

archdog
08-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Considering he is our qb.

missouridawg
08-30-2015, 09:25 PM

Don't shoot the messenger, cause I hope what they saw was just a bad day for Staley.... But I've heard that Tiano has looked better than Staley during a scrimmage this fall. And it was more an indictment of Staleys lack of progression than Tiano tearing it up.

SDDawg
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM

He knows OM is dogshit and doesn't mind saying so. Definitely not a troll.

cheewgumm
08-30-2015, 10:01 PM
He's not a troll, just bored and ready for football to start.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Shotgun, don't let these guys get you down. I've seen stranger posts on this message board than an analysis of your rival's future QB. Hey, Cadaver, for someone with 16K posts, you are the poster child for wasting time on a message board. Cut Shotgun some slack, he's doing what he enjoys with his fellow bulldogs.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2015, 10:28 PM
He knows OM is dogshit and doesn't mind saying so. Definitely not a troll.

Actually, I didn't say he was Dogshit. I compared him to an extremely good college QB. The only negative thing I stated in the scouting report, that had anything to do with Ole Miss, is that I'm not exactly sure how Ole Miss' offense will run without a QB that's a threat on the zone read & that, while I'm sure Mullen believes Patterson is good, he in no way fits MSU's system.

My post had little to do with Ole Miss & was very complimentary of the player, for someone that's supposed to obsessed.

You know guys, it is extremely possible to be objective and not have an agenda when writing something. There has been a ton of debate on Patterson, and I wanted to dive deeper into the debate. If you think my opinion was crap and that the scouting report was way off base, then your entitled to that and I would love to hear your thoughts on where you see things differently.

I believe the perception is that every post made on this board has an agenda or bias, & to the best of my abilities, I attempted to avoid that in this post. However, the post has almost 2,000 views, at this point, & I don't see 2,000 people complaining about it. So, I guess some people found it interesting.

Apoplectic
08-30-2015, 10:44 PM

Here we go:

Conclusion:

Conclusion:

Smh

Martianlander
08-31-2015, 07:45 AM
But does his rap sheet qualify for mission trips?

CadaverDawg
08-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Shotgun, don't let these guys get you down. I've seen stranger posts on this message board than an analysis of your rival's future QB. Hey, Cadaver, for someone with 16K posts, you are the poster child for wasting time on a message board. Cut Shotgun some slack, he's doing what he enjoys with his fellow bulldogs.

Haha

You must not know mine and Shotgun's history. He takes every opportunity to rip my posts to shreds, while occasionally we DO agree. That being said, Shotgun is a big boy and can clearly take some fun ribbing. I'm sure he'll return the favor in the coming months, so I doubt he needs your defense.

Hell, I didn't have to post the second post in this thread, but I felt bad for him. Sensitive people around here I guess. All in good "message board" fun, right

C222
08-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Actually, I didn't say he was Dogshit. I compared him to an extremely good college QB. The only negative thing I stated in the scouting report, that had anything to do with Ole Miss, is that I'm not exactly sure how Ole Miss' offense will run without a QB that's a threat on the zone read & that, while I'm sure Mullen believes Patterson is good, he in no way fits MSU's system.

My post had little to do with Ole Miss & was very complimentary of the player, for someone that's supposed to obsessed.

You know guys, it is extremely possible to be objective and not have an agenda when writing something. There has been a ton of debate on Patterson, and I wanted to dive deeper into the debate. If you think my opinion was crap and that the scouting report was way off base, then your entitled to that and I would love to hear your thoughts on where you see things differently.

I believe the perception is that every post made on this board has an agenda or bias, & to the best of my abilities, I attempted to avoid that in this post. However, the post has almost 2,000 views, at this point, & I don't see 2,000 people complaining about it. So, I guess some people found it interesting.

I think people are in shock that you recorded a high school football game of a rival's QB (that hasn't signed yet) and typed out a detailed scouting report on a message board. It's one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

FISHDAWG
08-31-2015, 08:36 AM

they hate him way to much on "The Official Message Board of Northern Miss." for him to be an OM troll here

HoopsCoach21
08-31-2015, 09:52 AM
I think people are in shock that you recorded a high school football game of a rival's QB (that hasn't signed yet) and typed out a detailed scouting report on a message board. It's one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I was at least 30 seconds in before I realized it wasn't a joke. I can barely watch one of our own recruit's full games. I can't imagine myself wanting to watch another teams QB recruits game, much less record, watch individual clips, write out a detailed report, and then think other rival fans would care enough to read it. Very strange.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Haha

You must not know mine and Shotgun's history. He takes every opportunity to rip my posts to shreds, while occasionally we DO agree. That being said, Shotgun is a big boy and can clearly take some fun ribbing. I'm sure he'll return the favor in the coming months, so I doubt he needs your defense.

Hell, I didn't have to post the second post in this thread, but I felt bad for him. Sensitive people around here I guess. All in good "message board" fun, right

That's cool. My post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Banter away!

Percho
08-31-2015, 11:54 AM

I thank you for the report for I did not watch the game and wondered how he looked.

Alldawg
08-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Goodness Shotgun. And you wonder why people think you're an OM troll.

Think? Hell, Shotgun would make a hell of a CIA agent. He has it to a science

Johnson85
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM

You must not hang around message boards much. It's definitely not something I would bother doing, but I know plenty of people that like watching high school football. If you like watching it, why not watch a game with a player you expect to play against your favorite college team?

I get that it seems over the top to a lot of people, it just seems weird for people on a message board to criticize it. Glass houses and all that.

PMDawg
08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Seriously man, this is the most obsessive, ridiculous shit I've ever seen. What the absolute f*ck made you do this? I'm afraid your cover may have finally been officially blown on this nonsense.

Sorry, but that shit is beyond extreme.

And beyond that - what in the world qualifies him to "scout" somebody? waste of time.

Johnson85
08-31-2015, 01:41 PM
And beyond that - what in the world qualifies him to "scout" somebody? waste of time.

I suspect he has roughly the same qualifications as the "scouts" at the recruiting services and I would put roughly as much stock in his report as theirs.

sleepy dawg
08-31-2015, 08:02 PM
Great post man and good breakdown; I, for one, appreciate the effort. I haven't actually watched him play, but it does seem like you sell him a little short based on everything else I've heard. I actually have less confidence in his team's ability to coach him to his potential than I do doubt his actual ceiling.